• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

TAKE THAT! Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney smashes the prosecution!

TemporalShrew

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, I really don't think people who are on that bandwagon have thought it through, anyway. If it was a character specifically catered to the West, I feel like they'd have just announced it at TGAs. It was obviously possible to do so, if the character's so far along now that he can do a full gameplay demo.

Krankees

Smash Ace
I said this in the newcomer thread but I'll say it here.

A 35 minute long presentation seems odd to me. Hero and Banjo's were to around 21-25 minutes long and still had time for small updates and Mii costumes. Terry followed the same formula and was only longer because he had a lot of additional content to bring and his history was discussed a bit more than the others. I think we'll either get at the very least more information for dlc after FP5 or a character that will need some extra time to be explained but not as much as Terry.

Last edited:

Korar

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW-5170-5706-7228
Since we all seem to be saying when the stream is, it is at 5:00 A.M. for me and i will be staying up that late to watch it live.

Also, my current guess is Travis, who i think would be pretty cool even though i have never played his series since i have no idea how to do so.

Edit: Nevermind, it is at 7:00 A.M. for me. me am very smart.
I might still stay awake that long, though.

Last edited:

MissingGlitch

Smash Master
People sure do love claiming "new games/announcements don't correspond with smash characters!!" When it's a character they don't want (AKA Like Tracer) but think it means something when it's a character they like, like Dante.

Last edited:

ThunderSageNun

Nugatory
People sure do love claiming "new games/announcements don't correspond with smash characters!!" When it's a character they don't want (AKA Like Tracer) but think it means something when it's a character they like, like Dante.
speculation in a nutshell tbh, regardless of the upcoming releases part.

TemporalShrew

Smash Journeyman
Whatever else we think, everyone, I'd like us all to join hands and combine our forces of will for one purpose:

Don't let Phoenix get Mii Costume'd tomorrow.

Geoffrey Druyts

Smash Ace
3DS FC
1993-7715-4423
Switch FC
SW-6723-8387-1403
My current guesses are Dante or Travis. I wanted to say Arle too but I don't think she would be hype enough to end the fighters pass.

ThunderSageNun

Nugatory
Whatever else we think, everyone, I'd like us all to join hands and combine our forces of will for one purpose:

Don't let Phoenix get Mii Costume'd tomorrow.
Surely that wouldn't happen unless we got another Capcom rep next, right?

Oh...suddenly I'm all the more terrified for the next mii costumes.

AceAttorney9000

Smash Lord
Surely that wouldn't happen unless we got another Capcom rep next, right?

Oh...suddenly I'm all the more terrified for the next mii costumes.
I'm personally not too worried about this. In the case of Banjo's costumes, I think that was because the developers wanted to make costumes of other Microsoft and Rare characters, but weren't able to due to rights issues, so they instead went with a grab bag of random, unrelated costumes like Goemon and Sans. Unless they run into a similar issue with another character (which I don't see happening unless the character in question is owned by Microsoft again or Sony), I'm not worried about Phoenix Wright being Mii costume-ed with a random character.

In fact, I'm not worried about Phoenix Wright getting Mii costume-ed in general, since he doesn't really fit any of the three Mii costume types. Brawler? Swordfighter? Gunner? There's plenty of Ace Attorney characters that could be made into Mii costumes for all three, but Phoenix Wright isn't one of them.

Last edited:

TemporalShrew

Smash Journeyman
But what if his costume came with Cornered?
I'd genuinely rather Phoenix not be in the game than be a costume, personally. Sakurai doesn't intend them that way, but Mii Costumes always feel like a consolation prize - I'd always be just a little bitter about it, whereas if he's just not there at all, I'm fine.

ThunderSageNun

Nugatory
I'd genuinely rather Phoenix not be in the game than be a costume, personally.
If it were just a mii costume I'd agree, but I'm more accepting of them if they get the Sans treatment.
Sakurai: Here's your Ace Attoreny content, a spirit of Sal Manella and Dr. Hotti.

Anyway, best of luck to everybody tomorrow, I'm a Layton guy first but Phoenix is a very close second.
well ****.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Well guys tomorrow is the announcement for FP5.

Here's to hoping our favorite attorney makes the cut and if he doesn't, Not all hope will be lost as he still has a chance for post-Pass DLC.

Arctiq

Smash Journeyman
The fact that we have zero ace attorney content in smash despite it being majorly Nintendo makes me feel like he's coming.

Krankees

Smash Ace
While I'm really worried for tomorrow about our attorney, I'm also really excited to know who it's gonna be.

Hinata

Never forget, a believing heart is your magic.
Premium
Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
In fairness, people thought this about Resident Evil, too, and...
Well the difference is Resident Evil isn't a mainly Nintendo franchise. It's got a lot of Nintendo releases, yeah, but the series didn't make it to a single Nintendo console until 2003, 7 years after the series even started.

Last edited:

TemporalShrew

Smash Journeyman
Well the difference is Resident Evil isn't a mainly Nintendo franchise. It's got a lot of Nintendo releases, yeah, but the series didn't make it to a single Nintendo console until 2003, 7 years after the series even started.
This is very much something I'm hoping will influence Sakurai's decision regarding a potential Capcom rep, honestly. Every DLC fighter but Terry has been deeply involved with Nintendo for decades, in some way or another.

Joker reps Persona, and while Persona hasn't been on Nintendo much, its parent series has been on Nintendo consoles since 1987.
Hero reps DQ, which has been on Nintendo consoles (though it took a break for a while) since 1986.
Banjo is... Banjo, and all but one of his games was a Nintendo game.

Meanwhile a character like Dante only just made his way onto a Nintendo console last year. I hope - and to some extent expect - that Phoenix's deep connection with Nintendo since 2001 will give him an edge.

E: Actually, now that I'm checking, I overlooked the fact that the original Fatal Fury games came to SNES, too, so Terry can also be included on that list, appearing on Nintendo since just after his inception, in 1992.

Last edited:

Flyboy

Smash Hero
This is very much something I'm hoping will influence Sakurai's decision regarding a potential Capcom rep, honestly. Every DLC fighter but Terry has been deeply involved with Nintendo for decades, in some way or another.

Joker reps Persona, and while Persona hasn't been on Nintendo much, its parent series has been on Nintendo consoles since 1987.
Hero reps DQ, which has been on Nintendo consoles (though it took a break for a while) since 1986.
Banjo is... Banjo, and all but one of his games was a Nintendo game.

Meanwhile a character like Dante only just made his way onto a Nintendo console last year. I hope - and to some extent expect - that Phoenix's deep connection with Nintendo since 2001 will give him an edge.

E: Actually, now that I'm checking, I overlooked the fact that all the old Fatal Fury games came to SNES, too, so Terry can also be included on that list.
I was gonna say, not only did all the Fatal Fury games hit SNES, every SNK game was a huge seller because they were on the Switch eShop since day one. They were a big part of why SNK has made such a big comeback in the latter part of the decade. Neo Geo games hitting Wii was also a big deal when it happened, and Metal Slug Anniversary had an exclusive game for the home console release, and was heavily promoted as a Wii title.

TemporalShrew

Smash Journeyman
I was gonna say, not only did all the Fatal Fury games hit SNES, every SNK game was a huge seller because they were on the Switch eShop since day one. They were a big part of why SNK has made such a big comeback in the latter part of the decade. Neo Geo games hitting Wii was also a big deal when it happened, and Metal Slug Anniversary had an exclusive game for the home console release, and was heavily promoted as a Wii title.
Yeah, I really underestimated how big a deal SNK has been on Nintendo. They haven't really been shouting it from the rooftops, but it seems to me like legacy with Nintendo is definitely still a significant factor in deciding who gets the nod for DLC.

Looma

Smash Journeyman
Resident Evil 2 was on N64 as early as 1999, creating a gap of only 3 years.

D

Deleted member

I have some sort of weird feeling that F5 will be someone from a company heavily supportive or associated with Nintendo.

Because yes, as of now the DLC companies all share that detail (SEGA/Atlus, Square Enix, Microsoft/Rare quite recently and SNK as Fly and Temporal said).

That's mostly why I feel positive about picks such as Wright or Layton.

TemporalShrew

Smash Journeyman
Resident Evil 2 was on N64 as early as 1999, creating a gap of only 3 years.
Yeah, I think there were bigger obstacles than legacy for RE. The inescapably real guns that no rating agency would ever accept an explanation of "uh... well, it only looks like a real gun!" for, the tough-to-tone-down zombie gore, etc. Metal Gear is a series that gets Z-ratings in Japan too, but unlike RE, blood and gore isn't central to its aesthetics. It was facing an uphill battle from the get-go.

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
I have some sort of weird feeling that F5 will be someone from a company heavily supportive or associated with Nintendo.

Because yes, as of now the DLC companies all share that detail (SEGA/Atlus, Square Enix, Microsoft/Rare quite recently and SNK as Fly and Temporal said).

That's mostly why I feel positive about picks such as Wright or Layton.
Agreed. It's why I feel not just these two, but also Tecmo and Bethesda may actually stand a chance.

Krankees

Smash Ace
Yeah, I think there were bigger obstacles than legacy for RE. The inescapably real guns that no rating agency would ever accept an explanation of "uh... well, it only looks like a real gun!" for, the tough-to-tone-down zombie gore, etc. Metal Gear is a series that gets Z-ratings in Japan too, but unlike RE, blood and gore isn't central to its aesthetics. It was facing an uphill battle from the get-go.
I mean Snake brought an RPG to smash so...

Last edited:

TemporalShrew

Smash Journeyman
I mean Snake brought an RPG to smash so...
If I recall correctly, Japanese ratings are really weird and finnicky about the kinds of weapons used.

i.e. big dumb explosives = A-OK, anything that fires actual bullets = No sirree.

Someone can feel free to correct me if I'm wrong on that, though.

ThunderSageNun

Nugatory
honestly, after Bayonetta the main issue I'd see with RE is how gory they'd want to represent the zombies/whatever other undead like creature they'd want to have as a cameo, I don't think the guns matter much after some of the characters we've been seeing since Brawl. Not that it matters much when they're as disconfirmed as you can get after that spirits event (imo anyways). I dunno how much you could consider that a problem for Dante but I don't recall the games violence being that bad in the entries I've played thus far.

Krankees

Smash Ace
honestly, after Bayonetta the main issue I'd see with RE is how gory they'd want to represent the zombies/whatever other undead like creature they'd want to have as a cameo, I don't think the guns matter much after some of the characters we've been seeing since Brawl. Not that it matters much when they're as disconfirmed as you can get after that spirits event (imo anyways). I dunno how much you could consider that a problem for Dante but I don't recall the games violence being that bad in the entries I've played thus far.
I think don't think Nemesis is getting on spirit boards anytime soon.

Last edited:

Arctiq

Smash Journeyman
At this point I just don't want FP5 to be a popular request. Those are usually the most boring reveals for me. :ulthero: and :ult_terry: were quite surprising, even after the leaks.
Edit: Nothing can top the Joker reveal either.

Last edited:
Top Bottom