• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

TAKE THAT! Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney smashes the prosecution!

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
So about the length: 35 minutes is a lot, especially assuming he doesn't play the whole classic mode route like last time in the presentation of Terry. Therefore, I don't think a "simple" character like for instance Bandana Waddle Dee, Dixie Kong, Rayman or Crash Bandicoot will be revealed tomorrow, you wouldn't need half an hour to talk about one of these characters.

This suggests that the new character will once again have an extensive moveset and a lot of stuff to talk about (similar to Terry or the Hero). While I don't nessecarily think it will be Phoenix, he at least would fit the bill and is one of the possible candidates – a long history, interesting & extensive moveset with all kind of evidences to throw, references, music and cameos to talk about.
he didnt need 40 mins to talk about terry, the man can pad

ThunderSageNun

Nugatory
If Zippo is correct, then based on the vagueness of the post I think it could be any of the following:

-Arle Nadja
-Grandblu Fantasy character (Katalina/Euden)
I'll need some context for these, I thought Puyo Puyo has always been multiplatform? And while Nintendo might own some of the shares from Cygames, I don't think we've seen anything from the cyverse even touch a Nintendo system, and they've a fair share of major games coming out if I'm not mistaken.

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
Take this with a grain of salt, but "related to Nintendo, but not directly" sounds an awful lot like Phoenix doesn't it?
There was a problem fetching the tweet
That's interesting. I definitely wouldn't consider Dante to fit that description.

So that's potentially my one prediction for tomorrow gone out the window...

Bobthealligator

Smash Ace
Can I just point out, not that I think it's happening nor believe Zippo or Sabi, but doesn't Nick meet the criteria?

Geoffrey Druyts

Smash Ace
3DS FC
1993-7715-4423
Switch FC
SW-6723-8387-1403
I honestly have no idea on who FP5 could be. I don't think it's Dante because everyone seems to be thinking that the tweet that got posted on the Devils May Cry seems to be pointing at Dante getting revealed, but that doesn't make sense honestly. If Dante does get revealed tomorrow on the 16th, then wouldn't that mean that the Twitter page broke the NDA?

Dukemon102

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-8185-5597-2987
That news about DMC3 are about... DMC3... not Smash Ultimate.
When have some coincidental news from another random game ever affected Smash Bros?
It's always the same thing. Overwatch port announced... OMG TRACE CONFIRMED. Sakura Wars releasing on the same date as the game awards. OMG SAKURA CONFIRMED.
VR Half Life spin off (totally unrelated to anything) announced. OMG GORDON CONFIRMED.

Do people that say this ever hear themselves?
Unrelated games's news / release dates mean absolutely nothing.

Last edited:

ThunderSageNun

Nugatory
Yeah, just a funny coincidence tbh, I don't think that works against Dantes chances either (although as some have said before that comment Itsuno made last year might imply he wasn't negotiated for the fighters pass timespan), but it's far from a hint to him coming next. It's just neat DMC3 port is getting some more premium treatment compared to the other 2 games thus far.

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
Take this with a grain of salt, but "related to Nintendo, but not directly" sounds an awful lot like Phoenix doesn't it?
There was a problem fetching the tweet
I was thinking about characters that fit this description. I'm kinda taking this to mean "character that's almost seen as a Nintendo character or strongly tied to Nintendo".

Phoenix Wright (I've always thought he feels like a Nintendo character, as much as possible without actually being one anyway)
Professor Layton (similar to Phoenix)
Crono (He first appeared on the Snes right?, I think a lot of people tie him to Nintendo)
Cooking Mama (she fits the bill, personally I can't see it but who knows?)
Travis Touchdown (I think his games have been exclusive to Nintendo consoles, I'm not 100% sure)

Some I'm not sure about:

Arle Nadja (like someone mentioned I've always thought puyo puyo was always multiplatform)
Monster Hunter (I know Monster Hunter is a big deal in Japan, but I don't know whether it's seen as a franchise with strong ties to Nintendo?)

Oddball pick:

The Denpa Men (I actually thought this was a Nintendo franchise, but I assume it isn't since these games have no presence in Smash whatsoever)

Not that I expect The Denpa Men, but can you imagine if Sakurai did include a character like that?

SNEKeater

Smash Master
I honestly have no idea on who FP5 could be. I don't think it's Dante because everyone seems to be thinking that the tweet that got posted on the Devils May Cry seems to be pointing at Dante getting revealed, but that doesn't make sense honestly. If Dante does get revealed tomorrow on the 16th, then wouldn't that mean that the Twitter page broke the NDA?
Obviously nope.
If Dante is really FP5 and the date DMC twitter account teased was for Smash that would be known by Nintendo, of course. Not saying is what will happen in a few hours, tho. In other words, all of this would be planned by Nintendo and Capcom, which is why I don't think Dante is the next character because it sounds a bit far fetched for me.

Krankees

Smash Ace
Obviously nope.
If Dante is really FP5 and the date DMC twitter account teased was for Smash that would be known by Nintendo, of course. Not saying is what will happen in a few hours, tho. In other words, all of this would be planned by Nintendo and Capcom, which is why I don't think Dante is the next character because it sounds a bit far fetched for me.
Plus wouldn't it have made more sense to reveal Dante at TGA instead of a normal direct? Especially since Devil May Cry 5 also had an award there.

Last edited:

Arctiq

Smash Journeyman
Travis Touchdown (I think his games have been exclusive to Nintendo consoles, I'm not 100% sure)

Arle Nadja (like someone mentioned I've always thought puyo puyo was always multiplatform)
Monster Hunter (I know Monster Hunter is a big deal in Japan, but I don't know whether it's seen as a franchise with strong ties to Nintendo?)
For Travis, I believe he's been 100% exclusive to Nintendo. Aside from some weird mobile spinoff. Though according to the insider's comment, he states that they could be relevant with or without Nintendo. So I'm not sure it really matches Travis.

I'd classify Arle as a Sega girl and not really tied to Nintendo. Though there are a few Puyo games released on Nintendo consoles.

Monster Hunter is a bit weird as they started on the Playstation ecosystem and slowly gravitated towards Nintendo. Considering we already got MH representation in smash, I'd put that on the "likely, but I wouldn't bet on it" category.

ThunderSageNun

Nugatory
For Travis, I believe he's been 100% exclusive to Nintendo. Aside from some weird mobile spinoff. Though according to the insider's comment, he states that they could be relevant with or without Nintendo. So I'm not sure it really matches Travis.
NMH1 got a remake for PS3 and I forget if 360 too, Travis Strikes Back recently got a PC port iirc.
Crono (He first appeared on the Snes right?, I think a lot of people tie him to Nintendo)
Don't give me hope In all seriousness with how much CT has been ported to other systems and Cross never ever being released on anything that's not a PS as far as I know, I dunno how much you can associate the character or IP with Nintendo anymore. That, and after Hero, I just can't see Crono happening anymore given how many similar beats they hit.

Last edited:

Flyboy

Smash Hero
It's worth noting that Hero's Paradise was not handled by Grasshopper and is generally a pretty poor port, and TSA was an afterthought especially since the main game had plenty of Nintendo promotion and content in it.

NMH2 is still exclusive and NMH3 seems the same. Travis is a Nintendo-adjacent character, just like Layton or Phoenix.

Geoffrey Druyts

Smash Ace
3DS FC
1993-7715-4423
Switch FC
SW-6723-8387-1403
I honestly don't have high hopes for Phoenix tomorrow. Not because of that Dante tweet (I don't really believe in that anyway), I just got a bad feeling for some reason.

Krankees

Smash Ace
I honestly don't have high hopes for Phoenix tomorrow. Not because of that Dante tweet (I don't really believe in that anyway), I just got a bad feeling for some reason.
Remember, it's not over.

downloadfile-1.jpg

Despite that though, I'm very scared right now.

Last edited:

Krankees

Smash Ace
So what time is the direct for you guys? I don't want to miss it live, but I have to be awake at 6 A.M.

Last edited:

Flyboy

Smash Hero
So what time is the direct for you guys? I don't want to miss it live, but I have to be awake at 6 A.M.
9AM for me. I had to work through breaks at work two days in a row so I can come in early but there's no way I'm missing it live.

Geoffrey Druyts

Smash Ace
3DS FC
1993-7715-4423
Switch FC
SW-6723-8387-1403
Remember, it's not over.

View attachment 257740

Despite that though, I'm very scared right now.
Yeah, you're right, there's more DLC after this pass so I shouldn't lose hope so fast. I'm just gonna say that I'm 80% sure Phoenix isn't FP5 and is instead post-pass DLC.

It's airing at 3 PM for me. Don't have work atm so I'm kinda lucky.

TemporalShrew

Smash Journeyman
I'm not really feelin' Phoenix for tomorrow, either. That being said, I am still confident in his chances of being added period, and I hope his Nintendo-adjacent nature will give him the advantage over other potential Capcom reps in the future.

Really thinking it's Travis, personally, and I'd be pretty down for that. Shame he probably won't be quite as vulgar and absurd as in his games, but they'll capture the essence, and he's got a lightsaber without even needing a beam sword. What more could you ask?

SNEKeater

Smash Master
Just completed the second case of Dual Destinies, that was quite fun. I'm really liking the new features and mechanics.
Oh, and Athena is cool!

Flyboy

Smash Hero
I'm not really feelin' Phoenix for tomorrow, either. That being said, I am still confident in his chances of being added period, and I hope his Nintendo-adjacent nature will give him the advantage over other potential Capcom reps in the future.

Really thinking it's Travis, personally, and I'd be pretty down for that. Shame he probably won't be quite as vulgar and absurd as in his games, but they'll capture the essence, and he's got a lightsaber without even needing a beam sword. What more could you ask?
I want to believe so badly in Travis. I've wanted him since Brawl, he's my biggest nostalgia pick and I adore his series. He'd be a blast and even imagining him being added especially with a cool CG trailer makes me tear up. I may want Phoenix as much on a good day but Travis just has me by the heart.

That said, I'm actually thinking Professor Layton. I may not love him as much as Phoenix but I think us puzzle and adventure game fans should stick together. My gut feeling says him or Doomguy. I'm with all of you in that I don't think Phoenix is coming but he absolutely could post-pass.

Want: Travis, Phoenix, Arle Nadja
Gut feeling: Layton, Doomguy, Farmer (Story of Seasons)

All in all, not a bad six. And we could still get totally blindsided.

Just completed the second case of Dual Destinies, that was quite fun. I'm really liking the new features and mechanics.
Oh, and Athena is cool!
You're about to hit one of my favorite cases as well as one amazing stretch of the game in general! Enjoy!

Last edited:

Krankees

Smash Ace
Oh, and Athena is cool!
I can't explain why but out of all three of the protagonists' expressions, I like Athena's the most. Maybe it's cause it originated from that game and wasn't remade like the other two.

TemporalShrew

Smash Journeyman
That said, I'm actually thinking Professor Layton. I may not love him as much as Phoenix but I think us puzzle and adventure game fans should stick together. My gut feeling says him or Doomguy. I'm with all of you in that I don't think Phoenix is coming but he absolutely could post-pass.
My struggle with this is that I never really got around to playing Professor Layton's games, so while I respect the series a lot, and obviously our fandoms are close-knit, Layton would sort of feel like a deathblow for Phoenix - I can't imagine 0 puzzly-visual-novel-type characters getting in before, and Sakurai suddenly deciding two should be DLC, after all.

It's unfortunate, though - I have nothing against characters like Dante or Layton, who are cool in their own right, but they feel like one-or-the-other contenders with pretty much the only character I want, long-term.

AceAttorney9000

Smash Lord
My struggle with this is that I never really got around to playing Professor Layton's games, so while I respect the series a lot, and obviously our fandoms are close-knit, Layton would sort of feel like a deathblow for Phoenix - I can't imagine 0 puzzly-visual-novel-type characters getting in before, and Sakurai suddenly deciding two should be DLC, after all.

It's unfortunate, though - I have nothing against characters like Dante or Layton, who are cool in their own right, but they feel like one-or-the-other contenders with pretty much the only character I want, long-term.
Gotta disagree here. Between Wright, Layton, and Dante, I don't think any of these characters getting in first would be a deathblow for the others.

There's only two ways I see any of these characters being knocked out of the running for good...
  1. The Spirit Board Event treatment (which there's some scary precedent for since, you know... Resident Evil)
  2. The Mii Fighter costume treatment (such as Phoenix Wright getting in and coming with a Dante Swordfighter costume)

Arctiq

Smash Journeyman
Gotta disagree here. Between Wright, Layton, and Dante, I don't think any of these characters getting in first would be a deathblow for the others.

There's only two ways I see any of these characters being knocked out of the running for good...
  1. The Spirit Board Event treatment (which there's some scary precedent for since, you know... Resident Evil)
  2. The Mii Fighter costume treatment (such as Phoenix Wright getting in and coming with a Dante Swordfighter costume)
Oof, I can only imagine what the reaction will be if we get a Dante mii costume... If that happens, I'm really sorry Dante bois.

Last edited:

SNEKeater

Smash Master
You're about to hit one of my favorite cases as well as one amazing stretch of the game in general! Enjoy!
I will :)

I can't explain why but out of all three of the protagonists' expressions, I like Athena's the most. Maybe it's cause it originated from that game and wasn't remade like the other two.
Yeah I can see that. I thought the same about the animations and I guess the reason is precisely what you say.

Dukemon102

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-8185-5597-2987
I will :)

Yeah I can see that. I thought the same about the animations and I guess the reason is precisely what you say.
The DLC case in Dual Destinies happens chronologically between cases 2 and 3. Just in case you want to follow the timeline.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
It's 11AM for me. Would ***** about it but if I got up at 10AM to watch Sakurai play Classic mode I can get up at 11 to actually get an announcement.

ThunderSageNun

Nugatory
It probably doesn't mean anything, but it's interesting that Sakurai did tweet this upcoming announcement in english as well, I think he only did that with Banjo before? Again, nothing of significant value, but still.

Hinata

Never forget, a believing heart is your magic.
Premium
Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
It probably doesn't mean anything, but it's interesting that Sakurai did tweet this upcoming announcement in english as well, I think he only did that with Banjo before? Again, nothing of significant value, but still.
The last time Sakurai tweeted in English, he was telling people to shut the **** up about character requests.

Dukemon102

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-8185-5597-2987
I don't have the DLC. Is that case worth purchasing?
I would say that Turnabout Reclaimed is the best conventional case post-Trilogy in terms of writing (However 5-3 is my personal favorite). So yes. It is actually worth it. Also. Cross-examining animals is fun.

TemporalShrew

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, I noticed that, too. Wasn't even his warning that the Terry video being so long didn't mean he was announcing a lot in Japanese only?

He's probably just making sure everyone can get in on the fun of guessing, really. But on the off-chance it means anything, I'm curious what, since the only thing you could possibly read into it is that it's a Western-relevant character. If you combine that with the "Nintendo-adjacent" hint from Zippo (which should be taken with a grain of salt, but y'know)... who could that be? Shantae? That'd be a heck of a character to prove Spirits don't deconfirm.

ThunderSageNun

Nugatory
The last time Sakurai tweeted in English, he was telling people to shut the **** up about character requests.
last time he tweeted a character announcement in english =/= last time he tweeted in english
Yeah, I noticed that, too. Wasn't even his warning that the Terry video being so long didn't mean he was announcing a lot in Japanese only?

He's probably just making sure everyone can get in on the fun of guessing, really. But on the off-chance it means anything, I'm curious what, since the only thing you could possibly read into it is that it's a Western-relevant character. If you combine that with the "Nintendo-adjacent" hint from Zippo (which should be taken with a grain of salt, but y'know)... who could that be? Shantae? That'd be a heck of a character to prove Spirits don't deconfirm.
again, I don't think it means anything, some are jumping onto "it's a character cattered for the west!" bandwagon, it's just a curious change and coincidence with Banjos announcement.

Top Bottom