• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

TAKE THAT! Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney smashes the prosecution!

TemporalShrew

Smash Journeyman
The only other example I know of involving Sakurai and the three-finger thing is a picture of him with Suda 51, by the way, in which Suda himself does it. Make of that what you will.

Nazyrus

Smash Champion
Take in mind that this picture of sakurai is taken from the presentation itself. I dunno why he said "oracles" in his tweet, weird way to just word "what are you expecting?" lol, almost unnecessary. Then again this would just add to the fact that we smash community are reaching way too far for things like this lol. One thing is i'm most likely sure of, he is making that pose at some point in the presentation.

Flyboy

Smash Hero
Again I don't really think the three fingers is a hint, but it is something that happens in the presentation since it's taken from there, so it'll be fun to see what the context is.

Three of my biggest wants all seem to have actual chances to be revealed here - Travis Touchdown, Phoenix Wright, or Arle Nadja. There's also tons of other possibilities, of course, and honestly I will say that if nothing else I hope we learn how post-pass works. I feel like we could actually be good and get both Dante and Phoenix during this whole DLC cycle. There's nothing saying there has to be only one rep per company in DLC after all, especially when series' and characters are owned by a whole different host of individuals and therefore different payment plans would have to be negotiated for each character individually.

TemporalShrew

Smash Journeyman
I feel like we could actually be good and get both Dante and Phoenix during this whole DLC cycle.
I feel like Dante being revealed here is actually our best-case scenario, if he's in at all. We have a much better chance of them double-dipping on a company if it's in separate passes, whereas I feel that chance goes down dramatically within a single round of DLC.

SNEKeater

Smash Master
I feel like Dante being revealed here is actually our best-case scenario, if he's in at all. We have a much better chance of them double-dipping on a company if it's in separate passes, whereas I feel that chance goes down dramatically within a single round of DLC.
This is what I'm saying these last months. Of course that also works for Square, Atlus/Sega, SNK and Microsoft. At this point we don't know how post-pass character will work: we will get another pass as the current one or not? how many characters? and more. But assuming that double dipping isn't likely in the future, this is the best case scenario for companies that haven't appeared in the fighter pass so far, like Capcom.

If you ask me I want FP5 to be Wright or Dante for that same reason but I have a feeling that it won't happen.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
The only thing for sure is that I want the term "post-pass" to die in a fire, I've had it up to here hearing it ad nauseam lately when we still don't know how the DLC structure after the next character works.

Regardless, I don't think we'll see a Capcom character this soon either. The DMC news could be for DMC3 DLC of some sort. Nobody's chances actually change until the DLC cycle comes to an end.

AceAttorney9000

Smash Lord
Just as long as Dante doesn't come with a Phoenix Wright Mii Fighter costume (which I know wouldn't make a lot of sense, but Banjo came with completely unrelated costumes, so who knows).

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
I was thinking about this too. Regardless of whether CP5 is Dante or Phoenix in this scenario, the other one becomes pretty much Capcom's almost-uncontested frontrunner next season.

For Phoenix, most of his competition among Capcom IPs would have either got in already (:ultmegaman::ultryu: and Dante), got Spirited (MH and RE) or does not qualify (the Vs. series). The only remaining IPs bigger than AA would be Dead Rising (which I don't see happening if RE, a clearly bigger horror series, got Spirits) and Onimusha (has been dormant for a while and doesn't have a revival incoming or massive fan demand). So the only other contenders would be "smaller" than Phoenix, like Amaterasu, Arthur, Joe and Morrigan, and I don't see any of them getting in easily over lawyer boy.

Last edited:

ThunderSageNun

Nugatory
I can't wait to read all the nonsense "leaks" we'll get from 4chan this day and a half until the direct PogChamp.
I'm not really feeling a Capcom rep for fighter 5 anymore after TGA, but I welcome with open arms being wrong, especially if it's Nick or Dante. I do wonder, given that supposedly more DLC was decided throughout the span of the fighters pass and not before, if the missing mii costumes will be completed when fighter 5 drops or if they'll be further scattered for however long we still have DLC incoming.

KirbyMonadoBoy

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Shulkinator
I can't find any plausible connection to Ace Attorney regarding the 3 fingers or the 3 ???. It's not very likely, but if they are actually a hint, I think it's most likely they suggest three new characters. Sounds crazy, but here is my theory / wishscenario:

The last Fighter Pass character gets announced via a reveal trailer right at the start of the presentation (I don't think it's Dante). Sakurai then proceeds to talk about the character, stage & music for half an hour. The revealed character will be available the next day. At the end he says, that's all for today, thank you for watching. But then... "Objection!!" – and we see a CGI trailer with two new characters: Phoenix Wright and a some seconds later also Apollo Justice, who is his Echo fighter... March 2020.

KirbyMonadoBoy

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Shulkinator
So about the length: 35 minutes is a lot, especially assuming he doesn't play the whole classic mode route like last time in the presentation of Terry. Therefore, I don't think a "simple" character like for instance Bandana Waddle Dee, Dixie Kong, Rayman or Crash Bandicoot will be revealed tomorrow, you wouldn't need half an hour to talk about one of these characters.

This suggests that the new character will once again have an extensive moveset and a lot of stuff to talk about (similar to Terry or the Hero). While I don't nessecarily think it will be Phoenix, he at least would fit the bill and is one of the possible candidates – a long history, interesting & extensive moveset with all kind of evidences to throw, references, music and cameos to talk about.

ThunderSageNun

Nugatory
not gonna jump to conclusions based on the length myself, I thought there was no way Sakurai could only talk 40+ minutes about Terry alone even with no other newcomers butting in, yet I was proven wrong.

Arctiq

Smash Journeyman
I think people are looking too-far into things (not talking about you guys. Y'all are fine. I can tell y'all are playing it for laughs). Not everything is a hint towards something. I also see people hyping up Dante to unhealthy levels. I can only imagine the fallout if it turns out to be Phoenix instead of Dante.

Last edited:

Krankees

Smash Ace
I think people are looking too-far into things (not talking about you guys. Y'all are fine. I can tell y'all are playing it for laughs). Not everything is a hint towards something. I also see people hyping up Dante to unhealthy levels. I can only imagine the fallout if it turns out to be Phoenix instead of Dante.
The only group I would fear if Phoenix got in is very salty Dante fans.

AceAttorney9000

Smash Lord
I've maintained that, if Dante gets in first, it's not gonna be a deathblow for Phoenix Wright. The latter will still be able to get in eventually, just at a later time. I think the same is true vice versa. Phoenix Wright getting in won't mean Dante will never be in Smash, just that Dante will have to come later.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I've maintained that, if Dante gets in first, it's not gonna be a deathblow for Phoenix Wright. The latter will still be able to get in eventually, just at a later time. I think the same is true vice versa. Phoenix Wright getting in won't mean Dante will never be in Smash, just that Dante will have to come later.
I expect both groups to not get anything on Thursday, honestly. We usually always get someone off-kilter and not expected very much at all in a pattern's end.

But yeah, Sakurai is just a fun dork trying to be cool, we can't go five minutes without someone analyzing the background. This isn't CTR Nitro-Fueled (in which background elements actually mean something there).

Last edited:

TemporalShrew

Smash Journeyman
I wouldn't suggest looking too deeply at the presentation length, either - remember that Sakurai spent several minutes last time going through Terry's entire classic mode. There's really no good way to judge how time will be spent in a presentation.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I wouldn't suggest looking too deeply at the presentation length, either - remember that Sakurai spent several minutes last time going through Terry's entire classic mode. There's really no good way to judge how time will be spent in a presentation.
Yeah, I expect at least 10 minutes or so to cover the character's history. Wouldn't be shocked if we don't get anything about the upcoming DLC's structure, either.

Krankees

Smash Ace
Yeah, I expect at least 10 minutes or so to cover the character's history. Wouldn't be shocked if we don't get anything about the upcoming DLC's structure, either.
Well we haven't gotten an update saying there won't be a new character reveal in the presentation yet unlike Terry.

Last edited:

AceAttorney9000

Smash Lord
Well we haven't gotten an update saying there won't be a new character reveal in the presentation yet unlike Terry.
Yeah, with Terry's presentation, Sakurai specifically tweeted out something along the lines of "the presentation is 45 minutes long because I was getting rambly, not because there's gonna be a character reveal." We've yet to get something like that for this one.

I think revealing the the next DLC character wouldn't be out of the question. Near the end, I could see Sakurai going "We have one more thing before we finish!" as a transition into a reveal trailer right at the end of the presentation.

Arctiq

Smash Journeyman
Take this with a grain of salt, but "related to Nintendo, but not directly" sounds an awful lot like Phoenix doesn't it?
There was a problem fetching the tweet

Krankees

Smash Ace
Take this with a grain of salt, but "related to Nintendo, but not directly" sounds an awful lot like Phoenix doesn't it?
I just got through that on the newcomer discussion thread. There are other characters who fit that description.

Last edited:

Arctiq

Smash Journeyman
I just got through that on the newcomer discussion thread. But there are other characters who fit that description.
I know there are a few that come to mind, like Travis. But it does narrow the pool down by a lot.

AceAttorney9000

Smash Lord
I know there are a few that come to mind, like Travis. But it does narrow the pool down by a lot.
At least two characters I can think of who fit that description are Phoenix Wright and Professor Layton. Someone on another thread also mentioned Shantae.

TemporalShrew

Smash Journeyman
I just checked the thread, guess that didn't go anywhere.
As far as I know, Zippo meant that the franchise of whatever character it is isn't dependent on Nintendo for its existence, it just has a close relationship with them.

MissingGlitch

Smash Master
I looked through the responses. And well it seems super vague. I am considering it more than likely nothing.

Someone claimed he said he was Team Dante but I can't seem to find any proof of that.

Last edited:

TemporalShrew

Smash Journeyman
I looked through the responses. And well it seems super vague. I am considering it more than likely nothing.

Someone claimed he said he was Team Dante but I can't seem to find any proof of that.
Considering what nothing, Zippo's comments? He's down as, and I quote, "#TeamnoDantefornow," in that he knows he's not the next character. He's also verified by the mods over at Era as being an insider. I'd take his word here, vague as it is, as at least fairly accurate.

ThunderSageNun

Nugatory
I dunno who zippo is but I thought we sorta moved from sabis words after all the nonsense during TGA and vergeben losing all his luster. Either way, 1 day until the reveal, I'm only expecting another 3rd party given how all this pack was handled.

Last edited:

MissingGlitch

Smash Master
Considering what nothing, Zippo's comments? He's down as, and I quote, "#TeamnoDantefornow," in that he knows he's not the next character. He's also verified by the mods over at Era as being an insider. I'd take his word here, vague as it is, as at least fairly accurate.
Ah alright then

THE SLOTH

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-6683-7510-3712
I'm probably gonna stay away from the spec scene until the presentation, it really feels like it could be just about anyone this time around. Dante's the current frontrunner, but we know how often those come and go, even days before a reveal. People can tinfoil-hat around if they want and have their fun, I'm not going to stop them, but I don't think the Pic of the Day or Sakurai putting up three fingers means anything in relation to a future character. I also believe Sakurai's going to solely discuss Fighter 5, but wouldn't be against anything else coming up. There was a disclaimer with Terry's presentation that no additional fighter information would be included, and I don't think there's been such a disclaimer for this presentation yet? No proof of anything one way or the other, just something to keep in mind.

I'll see ya fellas on the other side, whether Wright gets in or not. Whoever it is, any new character's always exciting, so Thursday's going to be fun regardless.

Krankees

Smash Ace
Phoenix is currently second on the newcomer poll. It's not anything important just thought it seemed interesting to bring up.

Last edited:

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982
If Zippo is correct, then based on the vagueness of the post I think it could be any of the following:

-Phoenix Wright
-Professor Layton
-Arle Nadja
-Jibanyan
-Agnes/Edea (Bravely Default)
-Travis Touchdown
-Pete/Farmer (Story of Seasons)
-Grandblu Fantasy character (Katalina/Euden)

All of these series have been heavily Nintendo-backed, either in terms of publishing or long-term exclusivity.

However, when they say "similar to Bayonetta", it kind of makes me think of Katalina or Euden. Nintendo partly own those Cygames series.

MissingGlitch

Smash Master
However, when they say "similar to Bayonetta", it kind of makes me think of Katalina or Euden. Nintendo partly own those Cygames series.
Yikes, I wouldn't expect that to go down well with a lot of people.

Especially after this wait and Dante/Sora fans REALLY getting their hopes up.

Last edited:

Nopote

Smash Apprentice
If Zippo is correct, then based on the vagueness of the post I think it could be any of the following:

-Phoenix Wright
-Professor Layton
-Arle Nadja
-Jibanyan
-Agnes/Edea (Bravely Default)
-Travis Touchdown
-Pete/Farmer (Story of Seasons)
-Grandblu Fantasy character (Katalina/Euden)

All of these series have been heavily Nintendo-backed, either in terms of publishing or long-term exclusivity.

Just as a correction, it's more that Nintendo owns shares of the company Cygames. They don't actually partially own their IPs at allaside from Dragalia Lost, and Dragalia Lost is classified as a 100% Nintendo IP in most places.

Krankees

Smash Ace
Guys, we forgot to do the pic of the day investigating! We have some interesting ones once again.

This one doesn't look that easy.

Apparently this is a Mega Man reference but I kind of want to pretend it's a homage to F-Zero.

Last edited:
Top Bottom