• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

TAKE THAT! Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney smashes the prosecution!

Geoffrey Druyts

Smash Ace
3DS FC
1993-7715-4423
Switch FC
SW-6723-8387-1403

Strider_Bond00J

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-2525-8699-9095
So, I came across this tweet done for fun...

...And I'm not sure my birth month is going to be very effective.

I'm Master Chief, for reference.
Rex & Pyra for me. I ain't complaining - Xenoblade is worthy of a second character. Rex&Pyrawererobbed

KirbyMonadoBoy

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Shulkinator
Let this green something not distract us from the fact that the key evidence for solving this case, the yellow (bananahhh excuse me) baseball glove can be found below in the picture. Hopefully this valuable piece of information can help us to get a not guilty for our client Maggey Byrde!

Last edited:

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend

Dangit, got Shantae, one month off. Still, could have been worse, I'm also one month away from February...

SNEKeater

Smash Master
I've recently bought Dual Destinies on the 3DS. I thought that the 3D models would look worse or very strange from some comments that I read here and there, but honestly I think they look really nice in general. Maybe not perfect, but I like it. The previous artstyle maybe fits better the tone of AA but for AA7 I wouldn't care if they keep doing 3D models.
So far I'm enjoying it. The cutscenes are a nice surprise as well.

I got Doomslayer.
Me too. While I prefer Phoenix or Crash I'm okay with that option haha.

Last edited:

KillerCage

Smash Master

Why couldn't I been born in April or July or August...
In case you guys are wondering, I got Crash.

Leotsune

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Leotsune

I got Geno, pretty meh but I like SMRPG music so...

In other news:
How would you guys feel if AA7 somehow ends up being a prequel?
I dunno, let me rephrase, do you think a prequel (to any game) would be a good idea? Is there something you think needs to be explained/developed or you wanna see explored?
I personally would like to see
Kristoph black Psyche-locks, maybe that alone can get us a juicy plot

Last edited:

Korar

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW-5170-5706-7228
Disliking a single video that was poorly made in quality and research is not going to destroy his channel, buddy. I'm not advocating sending him death threats or creating hundreds of sockpuppets to dislike all his videos (which wouldn't even do anything because the youtube algorithm can detect stuff like that), or harassing his fans, all I'm saying is that a SINGLE video where he displays faulty arguments and fails to sufficiently support them with proper logic is deserving of a dislike in my view. It's more than a disagreement, it's that he can't even support his opinion properly, he has to resort to flawed logic and long debunked arguments to try to justify them. But hey, people clearly took that the wrong way, so I'll remove that part from my post.
My problem actually only was with you telling other people to go dislike it, heck i disliked it myself and slapped that thumbs down, but i have seen people start campaigns to dislike peoples videos and it ends up screwing with their channel.
I know a post on a smashboards thread would probably not ever actually be enough to really harm their channel, but it still rubbed me the wrong way. sorry about that.

Last edited:

Northadox

Smash Apprentice

In other news:
I dunno, let me rephrase, do you think a prequel (to any game) would be a good idea? Is there something you think needs to be explained/developed or you wanna see explored?
The topic of a new Ace Attorney game is something I've wanted to explore, because despite the series being around for nearly twenty years, it hasn't really grown too much past its visual novel routes.
The games are always divided into four or five so cases, with the obligatory tutorial case, one or two filler cases, and then one or two cases that wrap things up or create plot threads for later. Gameplay, at least in the mainline titles, has always been the same investigation/trial fair, with point-and-click first person gameplay on the former half and the cross-examining and evidence presenting fair being the latter half. These mechanics did help make the games so successful, but not much about the games themselves have changed since, enough to the point where I'd say it's getting stagnant. Sure, there's the occasional gimmick that each game adds to spice things up, but nothing about the mainline games has seriously changed since 2001.

Now I'm not suggesting something stupid like "open world Ace Attorney hurr durr", but I'd really appreciate some expansion of the universe that allows some agency with the player's decisions and explores the universe of Ace Attorney more than what we see on a case-to-case basis. The Investigations games took a welcome step forward with having the explorable crime scenes, adorned with NPCs and other things to gander at and it's something I actually much preferred over the traditional first-person investigation style. If there was like...a big Japanifornian hub you could freely explore during cases and do some filler stuff like going to Eldoon's Noodles or something for lunch in between investigations, or go to the Wright Anything Agency as a breather, that'd be lovely. I know the Ace Attorney games tend to focus on the characters and plot threads of each case, but the quirky world that the games have is always a joy to explore, and it could make for some great fanservice.

Joining this change with investigations, I'd also like to see more cases of variable size in general. Have some trial-only cases, or maybe cases where you don't even need to go to court at all. And with courtroom gameplay, open up the possibility of multiple endings for some cases. Maybe if you missed a crucial piece of evidence, it'd bite you later in court. Of course, then comes the question if by the introduction of more gameplay elements you're diminishing the plots elements of the games, but I'm sure a balance could be struck somehow.

What I'm describing is probably far too much for a franchise with games made by a small team with a low budget, but I think the Ace Attorney series can expand in a lot of ways, not just ones covering new plot twists. I think looking back to the Investigations games would be a great start.

I'd like to see AA7 focus squarely on Athena as a character. I'm no writer, but I'd like to see her face off against the vicious Los Angeles courts and make a name for herself in the legal world, all the while wrapping up some plot threads from previous games (mainly the Lamiroir deal, but then you'd have to lug Apollo into it, which might make it rather messy). Ace Attorney games, to me, feel stronger when they're focusing on a central character - the trilogy is the best example of this, because we're seeing Phoenix grow from a greenhorn to a competent lawyer who has grown from the trials he's conquered and the dilemmas he's faced. In Dual Destinies and Spirit of Justice, because you're controlling three different attorneys, development is far more sparse for the three of them, especially considering the limited caseload that each game has. I think a game that intertwines the Phantom's origins and the Apollo/Trucy sibling thing all the while testing Athena's competency would be best. Again, hardly a writer, and I couldn't imagine even writing a single case for it, but those are the beats I'd like the game to hit. Oh, and for Gumshoe to return, but MEANINGFULLY, not just kinda dumped in there for the "hey, remember this character from the trilogy? they're back! oooooooo!" appeal. Make him a dad with seven kids with Maggey or something.

LEGITIMATELY, though...I'd actually much prefer an Investigations 3 or a similar title that deals with the time between Investigations 2 and Apollo Justice. There's a ton of time there that could be filled with all sorts of stuff, mainly, how Phoenix coped with the onset of fatherhood and his disbarment and what Edgeworth does to pull him out of his stupor. Yes, an Investigations game with Phoenix in it, impossible, but something I'd like to see in some form. One idea I had is for it to be a game that focuses on several different timeframes...even Edgeworth's youth, because I'd want to see the class trial made playable in some form because that'd be really neat. All I got though.

To answer your question, yeah, it could be a prequel, it could be a sequel, it could be a spinoff, even. I'd just like to see something that breaks the series' traditions a little bit and covers new ground either narrative-wise or gameplay-wise.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend

In other news:
I'd be down for a prequel, maybe something starring Mia or even Gregory would be cool, but even a prequel with a new character would be fine by me (well, that's kind of what DGS is, right?). I'm all for taking the franchise in new directions, I think they really painted themselves into a corner with the current canon by bringing Phoenix back, but they can't really disbar him again, so a new setting timewise might be the way to go.

However I don't think that AJ plot point is a good jumping off point, I think some mysteries are better left unsolved.
The topic of a new Ace Attorney game is something I've wanted to explore, because despite the series being around for nearly twenty years, it hasn't really grown too much past its visual novel routes.
The games are always divided into four or five so cases, with the obligatory tutorial case, one or two filler cases, and then one or two cases that wrap things up or create plot threads for later. Gameplay, at least in the mainline titles, has always been the same investigation/trial fair, with point-and-click first person gameplay on the former half and the cross-examining and evidence presenting fair being the latter half. These mechanics did help make the games so successful, but not much about the games themselves have changed since, enough to the point where I'd say it's getting stagnant. Sure, there's the occasional gimmick that each game adds to spice things up, but nothing about the mainline games has seriously changed since 2001.

Now I'm not suggesting something stupid like "open world Ace Attorney hurr durr", but I'd really appreciate some expansion of the universe that allows some agency with the player's decisions and explores the universe of Ace Attorney more than what we see on a case-to-case basis. The Investigations games took a welcome step forward with having the explorable crime scenes, adorned with NPCs and other things to gander at and it's something I actually much preferred over the traditional first-person investigation style. If there was like...a big Japanifornian hub you could freely explore during cases and do some filler stuff like going to Eldoon's Noodles or something for lunch in between investigations, or go to the Wright Anything Agency as a breather, that'd be lovely. I know the Ace Attorney games tend to focus on the characters and plot threads of each case, but the quirky world that the games have is always a joy to explore, and it could make for some great fanservice.

Joining this change with investigations, I'd also like to see more cases of variable size in general. Have some trial-only cases, or maybe cases where you don't even need to go to court at all. And with courtroom gameplay, open up the possibility of multiple endings for some cases. Maybe if you missed a crucial piece of evidence, it'd bite you later in court. Of course, then comes the question if by the introduction of more gameplay elements you're diminishing the plots elements of the games, but I'm sure a balance could be struck somehow.

What I'm describing is probably far too much for a franchise with games made by a small team with a low budget, but I think the Ace Attorney series can expand in a lot of ways, not just ones covering new plot twists. I think looking back to the Investigations games would be a great start.

I'd like to see AA7 focus squarely on Athena as a character. I'm no writer, but I'd like to see her face off against the vicious Los Angeles courts and make a name for herself in the legal world, all the while wrapping up some plot threads from previous games (mainly the Lamiroir deal, but then you'd have to lug Apollo into it, which might make it rather messy). Ace Attorney games, to me, feel stronger when they're focusing on a central character - the trilogy is the best example of this, because we're seeing Phoenix grow from a greenhorn to a competent lawyer who has grown from the trials he's conquered and the dilemmas he's faced. In Dual Destinies and Spirit of Justice, because you're controlling three different attorneys, development is far more sparse for the three of them, especially considering the limited caseload that each game has. I think a game that intertwines the Phantom's origins and the Apollo/Trucy sibling thing all the while testing Athena's competency would be best. Again, hardly a writer, and I couldn't imagine even writing a single case for it, but those are the beats I'd like the game to hit. Oh, and for Gumshoe to return, but MEANINGFULLY, not just kinda dumped in there for the "hey, remember this character from the trilogy? they're back! oooooooo!" appeal. Make him a dad with seven kids with Maggey or something.

LEGITIMATELY, though...I'd actually much prefer an Investigations 3 or a similar title that deals with the time between Investigations 2 and Apollo Justice. There's a ton of time there that could be filled with all sorts of stuff, mainly, how Phoenix coped with the onset of fatherhood and his disbarment and what Edgeworth does to pull him out of his stupor. Yes, an Investigations game with Phoenix in it, impossible, but something I'd like to see in some form. One idea I had is for it to be a game that focuses on several different timeframes...even Edgeworth's youth, because I'd want to see the class trial made playable in some form because that'd be really neat. All I got though.

To answer your question, yeah, it could be a prequel, it could be a sequel, it could be a spinoff, even. I'd just like to see something that breaks the series' traditions a little bit and covers new ground either narrative-wise or gameplay-wise.
I don't know if the gameplay changes you propose would fit Ace Attorney too much, make it too much like a life sim and you just turn it into Persona, and while I love Persona, life sims very easily slide down the slippery slope of turning into pandery dating sims (or just waifu-baiting) and I think that's a terrible fit for AA. But having multiple endings might be an interesting idea, and it's one that wouldn't be gimmicky, would feel realistic, and would add replay value, so if written in a way that resolutions don't feel anticlimactic that could be a great evolution for the series.

And I would also like focus on a single attorney, the last two games felt too scattershot in their storytelling (to me) precisely for that reason.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
So today's post looks like a reference to Trials and Tribulations (AA3 spoilers):
Dahlia's sweet form turning into her evil actual form.
thats pretty much what i was gonna saw, it could be any number of times a witness has revealed their true personality, in usually a humorously over the top way

KirbyMonadoBoy

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Shulkinator
Oh, I just realized... the picture could also depict (AA3 final case spoilers)
Iris and Dahlia
or (Spirit of Justice spoilers)
Bonny & Betty de Famme

Last edited:

KirbyMonadoBoy

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Shulkinator
Big news: So apparently the DMC voice actor leaked that Dante will be in Smash Bros. Ultimate: "To be part of Marvel vs Capcom or Super Smash Bros would be huge, which is what Dante is going to be"

https://www.dexerto.com/amp/smash/d...tor-capcom-star-coming-smash-ultimate-1312367

I don't totally trust his words, though. Maybe he just formulated it badly, since in other parts of the interview it doesn't sound like Dante is in Smash, but rather that it would be a dream for him if Dante was in Smash.

Leotsune

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Leotsune
Big news: So apparently the DMC voice actor leaked that Dante will be in Smash Bros. Ultimate: "To be part of Marvel vs Capcom or Super Smash Bros would be huge, which is what Dante is going to be"

https://www.dexerto.com/amp/smash/d...tor-capcom-star-coming-smash-ultimate-1312367

I don't totally trust his words, though. Maybe he just formulated it badly, since in other parts of the interview it doesn't sound like Dante is in Smash, but rather that it would be a dream for him if Dante was in Smash.
Well, I don't think he knows anything, just wishful thinking from his part.

ThunderSageNun

Nugatory

Dante thread already went over that it makes no sense why V voice actor would know if Dante would be in Smash or not, this means nothing for pizzaboys inclusion.

Looma

Smash Journeyman

He's just saying that Dante would be considered first long before V would ever be, which is exactly right. Context is important.

SNEKeater

Smash Master
Yep, V voice actor would probably know nothing about it. The only way for him to know that would be if V has some type of cameo in the game or in the trailer reveal which honestly I find very unlikely, while he's an important character in the latest DMC there are 4-5 characters more popular and revelant than him in the franchise.
At best V would be a spirit.

Also, as some said the voice actor is saying that Dante would be the first and the only pick for a DMC character, not that he's in the game.

ThunderSageNun

Nugatory
So in light of some very tragic news... how likely do you think are the chances of Ace Attorney getting Spirit Board-ed?
dang, that's pretty late to the party. So now we can't even count on these being around a games release date for the sake of promoting lol.
After the RE event I found the possibility of AA spirits pretty likely, although not guaranteed or particularly likelier to happen than Phoenix getting in due to the lack of any new games being announced for the Switch or something. After this though, oh boy, kinda makes these disconfirmations all the more unpredictable and nastier.

Last edited:

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
So in light of some very tragic news... how likely do you think are the chances of Ace Attorney getting Spirit Board-ed?
Considering we got RE as a Capcom Spirit event, I do think it gives us some breathing room. Not much, but I suppose there are series from other companies that have a bigger chance of being Spirited.

If it does happen, though... Dante becomes the undisputed frontrunner from Capcom and that's that.

ThunderSageNun

Nugatory
I sorta expect Tales of to get the spirits treatment as far as other 3rd parties go tbh, maybe something like the Bravely series given the announcement of a new game recently.

Flyboy

Smash Hero
I know Sakurai's fingers aren't a clue, but...

He's holding three fingers sideways...kind of like hair spikes...?

Dukemon102

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-8185-5597-2987
Welp. It's finally happening. Enough to make me quit from my speculation hiatus.

Whoever gets announced tomorrow. It's not the last chance for the lawyer. I'm sure he's popular enough to make it in the post-pass cycle.

all I can see is Sakurai trying to run away from having to do anymore DLC.
He seems to be enjoying his work more than ever. Did you see the Terry presentation? What an incredible amount of care and love put into a character. I hope if AA gets representation. It gets the same amount of care. We can always count on Sakurai for that.

Last edited:

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero

If Franziska could reach that far she wouldn't need a whip to attack Phoenix.

If the three fingers are a hint towards anything (and take this with a MASSIVE grain of salt) then I'd guess it was hinting towards three characters being revealed instead of one. (Though I think it's more likely that it just means nothing)

Hinata

Never forget, a believing heart is your magic.
Premium
Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797

Didn't you play Dual Destinies?

athena.PNG

You need more than just three fingers to mimic Phoenix's spikes!

Bobthealligator

Smash Ace

I'm pretty sure the 3 fingers are just a thing he does, if anyone has too much time on their hands and wants to check, be my guest.

Also while I doubt Dante is coming, even if he was i don't think V's voice actor would know about it.
My bet is actually on Byleth.

Last edited:

Flyboy

Smash Hero
Didn't you play Dual Destinies?

View attachment 257318

You need more than just three fingers to mimic Phoenix's spikes!
...Tch.

If Franziska could reach that far she wouldn't need a whip to attack Phoenix.

If the three fingers are a hint towards anything (and take this with a MASSIVE grain of salt) then I'd guess it was hinting towards three characters being revealed instead of one. (Though I think it's more likely that it just means nothing)
I'm pretty sure the 3 fingers are just a thing he does, if anyone has too much time on their hands and wants to check, be my guest.

Also while I doubt Dante is coming, even if he was i don't think V's voice actor would know about it.
it was a joke dudes chill out

Last edited:

TemporalShrew

Smash Journeyman
Just checking in to reaffirm my undying support for our boy in blue in the wake of the announcement. Other places I frequent are dipping into the Dante speculation pretty hard, and it's got me a bit scared, but I choose to believe nevertheless.

Last edited:

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero

I can't remember ever seeing Sakurai hold up three fingers like that before...

I probably will be going into this stream expecting Dante first and foremost, if only because the director (?) was saying to expect DMC news on the 16th.

A three houses fighter is probably the most likely first party character.

Top Bottom