• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

TAKE THAT! Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney smashes the prosecution!

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed

scoobymcsnack

Smash Journeyman
I got the Trilogy game for my Switch this Christmas, and have been loving the crap out of it. I'd most definitely like to see Phoenix in Smash!

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
I'm not even sure if anyone else thinks about posting these at this point.

first one is clearly a representation of people looking for a hidden truth, the mr G&Ws cant find the one holding the platform, and the second one is a metaphor for all those times a main character find themselves with an overly upbeat side kick

KirbyMonadoBoy

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Shulkinator
Sorry for being kind of inactive in the last days, had a lot of stuff to do. But I am glad that you are still keeping the idea alive and keep posting & discussing Sakurai's pictures.
The Game & Watch one is the face of a culprit who tries to hide from his crimes, you can see the desparation in his face.

Krankees

Smash Ace
So I have a semi-serious theory. You know how how Mega Man didn't make it into Marvel vs Capcom 3 but then made it into smash 4 later on? Well didn't our lawyer in blue unfortunately get excluded from Marvel vs Capcom Infinite? Could this mean what I think it means?

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
So I have a semi-serious theory. You know how how Mega Man didn't make it into Marvel vs Capcom 3 but then made it into smash 4 later on? Well didn't our lawyer in blue unfortunately get excluded from Marvel vs Capcom Infinite? Could this mean what I think it means?
Oh yeah, it's all coming together.
20200102_013752.png

AceAttorney9000

Smash Lord
So being left out of a Marvel vs. Capcom game means you're instead being included in a Smash game?
Well, in that case...

Confirmed, bub.

Last edited:

Hinata

Never forget, a believing heart is your magic.
Premium
Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
So being left out of a Marvel vs. Capcom game means you're instead being included in a Smash game?
Well, in that case...

Confirmed, bub.
Maximilian Dood ready to start making Smash vids again.

Krankees

Smash Ace

Gotta be honest, no idea how we could possibly ever link this to Ace Attorney.

/s
You see, Dr. Wily could represent Matt Engarde declaring guilty in the final case of Justice for All. Falco and Jigglypuff represent Phoenix and Maya with Phoenix celebrating as he got Maya back after she got kidnapped.

Last edited:

KirbyMonadoBoy

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Shulkinator
Gotta be honest, no idea how we could possibly ever link this to Ace Attorney.
/s
This picture is obviously showing Miles Edgeworth (Falco) announcing a salary cut and poor Gumshoe (Wily) begging for not letting this happen. In the background you can see Franziska (Jiggs) learning from Miles how to bully Gumshoe the best way possible.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I mean, going by that logic, EVERYONE FROM CAPCOM THAT WASN'T IN INFINITE , including long-gone characters like Rubyheart, would show up in Ultimate as playable, which is not reasonable. There needs to be something more tangible than that, seeing as the "SNK character showing up in X fighting game means they won't get in Smash" theory already died.

AceAttorney9000

Smash Lord
Using my totally leet MSPaint skills, I made a little mock-up of what I think an Ace Attorney stage coming with Phoenix Wright would be like, along with some details on how the stage would work...

• As usual, I made this with the assumption that Phoenix Wright and Apollo Justice (the latter an Echo Fighter of the former) will be the playable characters.
  • Like King of Fighters Stadium, different characters from across the series will appear on the witness stand and benches. Unlike King of Fighters Stadium, you can interact with these characters by attacking them. Attacking any of the characters enough times will generally result in them disappearing for a bit before they eventually return (in the case of the defense and prosecutors) or another character takes their place (in the case of the witness).
    • The Omega and Battlefield forms of the stage will have the characters appear in the background, acting out their usual animations but unable to be attacked.
  • While the witness can be attacked, doing so has a chance of triggering an "OBJECTION!" speech bubble (or other speech bubbles such as "GOTCHA!", "SILENCE!", and "SATORHA!") appearing over the witness from the either the defense or prosecution benches, acting as a counter and sending the damage back at the attacker. This can be temporarily mitigated by attacking the defense and prosecutors until they disappear, either lessening or completely eliminating the chance of an "OBJECTION!" until they come back.
  • Attacking the witness enough times results in a "breakdown" shortly before the witness disappears. Like with the Yellow Devil's explosion in Wily Castle, whichever effect triggers will only affect everyone else besides the person who triggered the breakdown. Which effects happen depends on the witness...
    • Detective Gumshoe - Nothing. His salary's too low to afford triggering any effects.
    • Ema Skye - Starts eating from a bag of Snackoos. When anyone attacks her during this, she will respond by throwing a Snackoo at them, which does little damage and knockback.
    • Lotta Hart - Takes out her camera and begins taking pictures. Anyone in range will be stunned.
    • Adrian Andrews - Nothing.
    • Iris - Dahlia Hawthorne's spirit flies out (revealing Iris to actually be Maya Fey) and slowly explodes, causing damage to anyone nearby.
    • Kristoph Gavin - Raises his fist, with various pieces evidence flying upwards while the courtroom begins shaking. After 15 seconds of shaking, he slams his fist on the witness stand, causing massive damage and potentially an instant KO to anyone standing (heh) on the witness stand.
    • Bobby Fulbright - His smile and happy demeanor disappear and are replaced by a cold stare. Attacking him again during this period will have him counter with a swing his grappling hook, grabbing any nearby opponents and tossing them away (and KO-ing them if their damage is high enough).
    • Shi-Long Lang - The only witness to lack a traditional breakdown like the others, the only one who can affect all the fighters including his initial attacker, and the only one who will disappear after a short while regardless of being attacked. Instead, attacking him has a small chance of Lang countering with his own "NOT SO FAST!" speech bubble like the defense and prosecutor.
  • While not as extensive as the witnesses, some of the defense and prosecutors also have similar effects (some of which only trigger upon being attacked).
    • Franziska von Karma - Attacking her while she is holding her whip out will result in her performing a counter with her whip, which causes damage and can hit multiple fighters.
    • Godot - Will occasionally throw a cup of hot coffee at the defense or the witness. Any fighters hit will suffer gradual fire damage.
    • Simon Blackquill - Attacking him while he is leaning forward will result in him countering with a sword slash, which only hits the opponent attacking him.
    • Nahyuta Sahdmadhi - Will occasionally perform a Khura'inese prayer before throwing sets of beads. Any fighters hit by the beads will be stunned.
    • Calisto Yew - When attacked enough times, she breaks out into a brief fit of laughter before calming down. She then takes out a gun, points it at the prosecutor and shoots, damaging both the prosecutor and anyone in the way, before disappearing.
  • While the defense attorney and prosecutor who appear on the benches is generally random, some will not appear under certain conditions...
    • Phoenix Wright and Apollo Justice will not appear if their playable versions are already present in the fight.
    • Miles Edgeworth can show up on both the defense and prosecutor bench, but will not appear on both at the same time.
    • Godot will only appear if Mia Fey or Phoenix Wright are on the defense bench.
    • Miles Edgeworth will not appear on the prosecutor bench if Gregory Edgeworth is on the defense bench, and vice versa.
  • Also like King of Fighters Stadium, some characters will always appear if the relevant music track is playing, i.e. "Klavier Gavin ~ Guilty Love" will result in Klavier Gavin always appearing on the prosecutor bench.
  • The speech bubbles all have voice clips, with different voices depending on the defense attorney/prosecutors that are present... and just for funsies, here's a list of voice actors who would provide all the clips...
    • Phoenix Wright
      • Shu Takumi (JP)
      • Sam Riegel (EN)
    • Apollo Justice
      • KENN (JP)
      • Orion Acaba (EN)
    • Athena Cykes
      • Megumi Han (JP)
      • Wendee Lee (EN)
    • Mia Fey
      • Chie Nakamura (JP)
      • Colleen Clinkenbeard (EN)
    • Miles Edgeworth
      • Eiji Takemoto (JP)
      • Kyle Hebert (EN)
    • Diego Armando / Godot
      • Hideki Kamiya (JP)
      • Lex Lang (EN)
    • Gregory Edgeworth
      • Ryunosuke Watanuki (JP)
      • Richard Epcar (EN)
    • Calisto Yew
      • Ayumi Fujimura (JP)
      • Alesia Glidewell (EN)
    • Winston Payne
      • Wataru Yokojima (JP)
      • Gregory Lush (EN)
    • Manfred von Karma
      • Akio Otsuka (JP)
      • Chris Tergliafera (EN)
    • Franziska von Karma
      • Miyuki Sawashiro
      • Laura Bailey (EN)
    • Klavier Gavin
      • Toshiyuki Kusuda (JP)
      • Yuri Lowenthal (EN)
    • Simon Blackquill
      • Shunsuke Sakuya (JP)
      • Troy Baker (EN)
    • Nahyuta Sahdmadhi
      • Daisuke Namikawa (JP)
      • Matthew Mercer (EN)
    • Shi-Long Lang
      • Tomokazu Sugita (JP)
      • David Vincent (EN)

Last edited:

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
Blue, Kirby, and yellow.

Clearly the blue and yellow reference the colors of Phoenix' suit and his badge, respectively.... which can also be considered the "main colors" of AA, in a sense.

Why is Kirby there then? It's Sakurai, he can put Kirby wherever he wants.

:ultsonic::ultkirby::ultpacman:

Last edited:

AceAttorney9000

Smash Lord
Blue, Kirby, and yellow.

I know we're treating these as "hints" at Phoenix Wright as a joke... but imagine if Wright gets revealed, and then Sakurai comes out and says that, yes, these images really were meant to be actual hints at Wright's inclusion.

Clearly the blue and yellow reference the colors of Phoenix' suit and his badge, respectively.... which can also be considered the "main colors" of AA, in a sense.

Why is Kirby there then? It's Sakurai, he can put Kirby wherever he wants.

:ultsonic::ultkirby::ultpacman:
Kirby is meant to represent Maya, the only Ace Attorney character capable of matching Kirby's appetite.

Last edited:

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
I know we're treating these as "hints" at Phoenix Wright as a joke... but imagine if Wright gets revealed, and then Sakurai comes out and says that, yes, these images really were meant to be actual hints at Wright's inclusion.
If that were to happen, we would all be able to unironically say that "Sakurai had the final piece of evidence for this case all along".

SNEKeater

Smash Master
Currently playing Apollo Justice these last days and man, maybe it's just me but I feel that the soundtrack is even better than the music from the original trilogy.
About the game itself, I'm enjoying it. For some reason I feel that it has some inconsistencies at some points, but maybe that's my sensation. About the cast I think it's great, Apollo and Klavier are cool.

Oh and I just wanna know if someone thought that at some point that Trucy
was Pearl. I honestly thought that until the third case where you meet the story of her father. Now I'm at the fourth case, the last one I guess.
Just asking that because I want to know that if I wasn't the only fool who thought that lol

Krankees

Smash Ace
They know what we're doing.

KirbyMonadoBoy

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Shulkinator
They know what we're doing.

What if.... it actually was an Ace Attorney Reference after all (the dragon from the intro of The Magical Turnabout):

Dragon Spirit of Justice.JPG

Moving on to today's post:
(Very light AAI1-spoilers): Today Sakurai wanted to reference Turnabout Ablaze, you can see the mysterious Great Thief Yatagarasu amidst the flames.

Last edited:

Lazyrex

Smash Cadet
What if.... it actually was an Ace Attorney Reference after all (the dragon from the intro of The Magical Turnabout):

View attachment 256397

(Very light AAI1-spoilers): Today Sakurai wanted to reference Turnabout Ablaze, you can see the mysterious Great Thief Yatagarasu amidst the flames.
That is obviously Phoenix Wright falling into eagle river with the burning bridge in AA3 case 5

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
Does anyone else get sorta Miles Edgeworth vibes from the new rival Avery in the new Pokemon expansion pass? It must be the cravat.

It's like Colress and Miles Edgeworth had a child and Avery was the result.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
got it, you can see shiek's toes reference to that case where we took toe prints

Last edited:
Top Bottom