• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

TAKE THAT! Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney smashes the prosecution!

KirbyMonadoBoy

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Shulkinator
So Sakurai posted this picture today, without any text:

Joker Phoenix.jpg

https://twitter.com/Sora_Sakurai/status/1210398287544471552

I (and some others) can't help but wonder...

Phoeni.JPG

Might be a stretch, but on the other hand... I asked some friends and even though they normale laugh about my speculations regarding Phoenix in Smash, this time they admitted that it actually seems kinda suspicious. Normally Sakurai doesn't post pictures without any context. But this picture is an exception, no description at all, just Jokers doing this finger/gun-pointing pose.

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982
It is most likely referencing something. We've had this rodeo before with pictures in game from Sakurai.

They meant nothing. This means nothing.

D

Deleted member

It is most likely referencing something. We've had this rodeo before with pictures in game from Sakurai.

They meant nothing. This means nothing.
Then again, they look too much into the details of it. Well, there were some hints regarding BK back during the promotion of Stage Builder. Highly suspicious if you ask me.

THE SLOTH

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-6683-7510-3712
I doubt it means anything, I wouldn't be surprised if Sakurai knows everything he says or does is taken as gospel by some people and just posts stuff for fun to rile them up.

And I don't recall so, but has there ever been a character in AA that does the iconic finger point with a gun?
The closest I can think of is Calisto at the end of Case 4. Not that I think this means anything for her or Wright, it was just a funny idea from how people jumped onto the AA finger point just from Joker outstretching his gun hand, lol.

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Last edited:

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
I'd love for it to be true but remember how people assumed the Rathalos image meant Isaac? Look how that turned out...

I'd keep expectations low tbh.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I'd love for it to be true but remember how people assumed the Rathalos image meant Isaac? Look how that turned out...

I'd keep expectations low tbh.
Sak must post something fun when he has the time for it. We don't know how long his staff has been working on FP5 or who it is, but it has to be the most complex character so far when we're nearing January, and we have yet to get any announcement for them.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Sak must post something fun when he has the time for it. We don't know how long his staff has been working on FP5 or who it is, but it has to be the most complex character so far when we're nearing January, and we have yet to get any announcement for them.
Watch though we gotta wait until February for FP5. Because at this point that's what I'm expecting.

Last edited:

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
Even a broken clock is right twice a day. In any case, December the 27th is a pretty random time to be playful like that when people are trying to enjoy the holidays right now, though he may just be missing the "Pic of the day" days. :drshrug:

As for actually relevant news, we're getting our final spirit event for this year.

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/20...he_year_celebrates_characters_who_wear_shorts
Interesting, because the first event related to Spirits that wear glasses. Guess they really like their events related to clothing, huh.

Something to note: we got a in total, eight events that introduced new Spirits through the year:
  • "Oh yeah! Mario Time!" (December 2018) introduced the two new Mario Party Spirits
  • "Nintendo Labo Smash Kit" (April) introduced the Labo Spirits
  • "Super Smash Sisters" (May) introduced Peachette
  • "Return to Koholint" (June) introduced the Link's Awakening Spirits
  • "Arsenals at the ready!" (September) introduced Daemon X Machina Spirits
  • "Attack of the Tetriminos" (October) introduced the Tetris Spirits
  • "New Galar Region Pokémon Discovered!" (November) introduced the Sword and Shield Spirits
  • "Oust Resident Evil" (November) introduced the Resident Evil Spirits
Usually there are at least two Spirit Board events per month (four at most), with new Spirits being introduced, in average, once every two months.

So we could expect more stuff like that next year. It's likely we're looking at two more events in January, at least.

Interesting to note: of the eight events with new Spirits, three were third-party (Tetris, Daemon X Machina and Resident Evil). Guess we might see more of these in the future too.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Interesting to note: of the eight events with new Spirits, three were third-party (Tetris, Daemon X Machina and Resident Evil). Guess we might see more of these in the future too.
That's a given, since Sak doesn't limit himself to fighters in order to get as many third-party IPs involved as possible. Only question is which series will get that treatment next, which is impossible to predict.

KirbyMonadoBoy

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Shulkinator
On the other hand, right before the Direct with Simon/Richter and King K. Rool Sakurai tweeted about his eyes being red and this was most likely a hint both to Bloody Tears and King K Rool. It's not like he has never subtlety hinted towards characters before.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
On the other hand, right before the Direct with Simon/Richter and King K. Rool Sakurai tweeted about his eyes being red and this was most likely a hint both to Bloody Tears and King K Rool. It's not like he has never subtlety hinted towards characters before.
Yeah. The issue is that people read too much into things he didn't put hints into himself, like background objects, furniture and the optical illusion in Battlefield.

The picture with Daisy probably isn't a hint since Nintendo were the ones to tweet that, but who knows I guess.

Well, it seems the Pic of the Day is back after all...

So, back to square one yet again.

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed

View attachment 254713

View attachment 254714

Might be a stretch, but on the other hand... I asked some friends and even though they normale laugh about my speculations regarding Phoenix in Smash, this time they admitted that it actually seems kinda suspicious. Normally Sakurai doesn't post pictures without any context. But this picture is an exception, no description at all, just Jokers doing this finger/gun-pointing pose.
that was a fair stretch

Flyboy

Smash Hero
It's just pic of the day. I know it's fun to see hints where there aren't any, but please don't start actually thinking any of these are hints.

D

Deleted member

I seriously doubt the picture is a reference to anything regarding upcoming fighters.

Last edited by a moderator:

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Interesting, because the first event related to Spirits that wear glasses. Guess they really like their events related to clothing, huh.

Something to note: we got a in total, eight events that introduced new Spirits through the year:
  • "Oh yeah! Mario Time!" (December 2018) introduced the two new Mario Party Spirits
  • "Nintendo Labo Smash Kit" (April) introduced the Labo Spirits
  • "Super Smash Sisters" (May) introduced Peachette
  • "Return to Koholint" (June) introduced the Link's Awakening Spirits
  • "Arsenals at the ready!" (September) introduced Daemon X Machina Spirits
  • "Attack of the Tetriminos" (October) introduced the Tetris Spirits
  • "New Galar Region Pokémon Discovered!" (November) introduced the Sword and Shield Spirits
  • "Oust Resident Evil" (November) introduced the Resident Evil Spirits
Usually there are at least two Spirit Board events per month (four at most), with new Spirits being introduced, in average, once every two months.

So we could expect more stuff like that next year. It's likely we're looking at two more events in January, at least.

Off-topic, but I find it funny that the Spirit Event that basically disconfirmed any RE characters for all of DLC was called Oust Resident Evil.

ThunderSageNun

Nugatory
*insert comment on how people taking this as a hint are bluffing*
Also I had no idea Daemon was actually 3rd party, the more you know.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
More to the point, Joker's finger lags a bit, if he was actually pointing at anything, it would stand a lot straighter.

Instead, the intent is rather this:

ltntox0imvu01.jpg

Besides, gun kata is a thing anyway, so. This is really scraping the bottom of the barrel, no pun intended. :dk:

*insert comment on how people taking this as a hint are bluffing*
Also I had no idea Daemon was actually 3rd party, the more you know.
Marvelous did make that one. Some Nintendo-exclusives can still be made by third parties, after all.

Last edited:

MissingGlitch

Smash Master

View attachment 254713

View attachment 254714

We are going to object you to death.

AceAttorney9000

Smash Lord

View attachment 254713

View attachment 254714

Are there any characters on the roster who have something resembling an "OBJECTION!"-style finger point among their animations? If this was meant as a hint towards Wright, they probably would've gone with another character who can do a finger point instead of Joker.

Of course, if that buncha Jokers and their guns are really meant to be a hint at Wright... well, one thing does comes to mind:

THE SLOTH

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-6683-7510-3712
with each gunshot is another objection the judge cant overrule
Gunobjection.png

Are there any characters on the roster who have something resembling an "OBJECTION!"-style finger point among their animations? If this was meant as a hint towards Wright, they probably would've gone with another character who can do a finger point instead of Joker.

Of course, if that buncha Jokers and their guns are really meant to be a hint at Wright... well, one thing does comes to mind:
iirc one of/multiple of Hero's spellcasting animations has him pointing, so I think that would've worked perfectly fine if that was what Sakurai was hinting at. Which I really don't think he was hinting at anything at all.

Last edited:

Krankees

Smash Ace
I read the comments on the tweet and now people are speculating that since Joker was the first fighter and that there are 8 Jokers, a direct is gonna be on January 8th (1 and 8).

I'm gonna keep a memo of that date because it would be funny if it came true.

THE SLOTH

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-6683-7510-3712
pics of the day were nice. did not see this "frozen rayman" one

This was much earlier this year, but in a nutshell, people were saying that a texture on part of the ice on Battlefield resembled Rayman. I can kind of see it, but it's that thing where you'd never notice or make that kind of conclusion yourself if you hadn't heard of it elsewhere for me. It's... uh, quite the stretch as far as speculation goes. Poor Rayman fans must be thirsty after Rabbids essentially took over his franchise like a bunch of parasites.

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
This was much earlier this year, but in a nutshell, people were saying that a texture on part of the ice on Battlefield resembled Rayman. I can kind of see it, but it's that thing where you'd never notice or make that kind of conclusion yourself if you hadn't heard of it elsewhere for me. It's... uh, quite the stretch as far as speculation goes. Poor Rayman fans must be thirsty after Rabbids essentially took over his franchise like a bunch of parasites.
how extraordinary, that may be one of the bigger stretches ive heard

THE SLOTH

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-6683-7510-3712
It's been, what, 18 years?

About that, yes.

18 years is a long time to wait...
You can't imagine how much I've suffered...

You... suffered?

And now... the perfect opportunity presents itself.
At last... I shall have my revenge!

What!?

merrydl6mas.png

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I read the comments on the tweet and now people are speculating that since Joker was the first fighter and that there are 8 Jokers, a direct is gonna be on January 8th (1 and 8).

I'm gonna keep a memo of that date because it would be funny if it came true.
At this point random guesswork is more accurate than supposed hints, so that would be an extraordinary coincidence if true.

One thing for sure is, we're not getting any news on the first three days of next year.

Last edited:

Krankees

Smash Ace
I'm upset that I didn't find this until now.

There was a problem fetching the tweet

Top Bottom