• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

TAKE THAT! Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney smashes the prosecution!

MissingGlitch

Smash Master
What he said was he went to square asking for a Dragon Quest character of some kind, and it could just as easily have been slime. Essentially Sakurai chose the series but let square choose which character should represent it.
I can't believe Capcom picked the Blue Badger to represent the Ace Attorney series in Smash.

1577077343878.png

Strange choice but well deserved.

Last edited:

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
The original trilogy just came out on other systems and was revealed at last year's TGS. SoJ only came out a few years back.

Jeez, it's like none of you know what it was like waiting for Dual Destinies or something.
I remember finding out about Dual Destinies by randomly seeing screenshots online and thinking they were for some high-quality fangame because I just didn't expect them to ever make another main title.

Needless to say, I was shocked and wondered how I hadn't heard about the announcement. (Might have had something to do with CoroCoro magazine not being exactly mainstream Western media)

JustMyself13

Smash Journeyman
I mean, I'm fairly convinced, personally, that if AA7 isn't anywhere near coming out, Phoenix's chances in Smash are pretty much dead in the water, given that DMC is more booming than it's been in ages and Capcom probably won't be interested in promoting relatively small franchise of theirs that doesn't even have a game or a port on the horizon when they could propose a medium-large one that's gotten much more recent press and whose protagonist is no less iconic than Ace Attorney's.

So what I'm saying is, I have to believe AA7 is soon or I'm out here in this thread supporting a pipe dream.
The first Capcom rep was Megaman, mind you. At the time of Smash 4, the last Megaman game was in 2010 and a WiiWare title, and Capcom had previously canceled ~3 other Megaman projects. If Capcom really cared about promoting their big franchises, we wouldn’t have gotten Megaman and we would’ve gotten RE or MH reps full stop instead of the minimal representation we have for both currently.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
What he said was he went to square asking for a Dragon Quest character of some kind, and it could just as easily have been slime. Essentially Sakurai chose the series but let square choose which character should represent it.
The first Capcom rep was Megaman, mind you. At the time of Smash 4, the last Megaman game was in 2010 and a WiiWare title, and Capcom had previously canceled ~3 other Megaman projects. If Capcom really cared about promoting their big franchises, we wouldn’t have gotten Megaman and we would’ve gotten RE or MH reps full stop instead of the minimal representation we have for both currently.
Plus let's not forget what he said in Terry's showcase is that to him, recognizability for a character pick doesn't matter so much, only whether they are fun to play as. Otherwise, I severely doubt that Nintendo would have wanted to push for a forgotten 80s NES game in the Melee days. :ulticeclimbers:

Now that Capcom's two most noteworthy mascots are in here, Sak has pretty much free reign to choose which one's next.

Last edited:

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
We really need to throw this whole "needs to promote something" mindset away.

Joker didn't come with Persona 5 Switch.
Banjo didn't come with any sort of Banjo game.
Terry's game basically influenced Smash.
The only thing promotional in this whole pass was making Luminary the default skin for Hero.
I feel like we all collectively forgot that Persona 5 is getting a sequel in 2020 that's coming out on Switch and Terry was used to raise awareness on the SNK eshop titles that were seen as shovelware.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I feel like we all collectively forgot that Persona 5 is getting a sequel in 2020 that's coming out on Switch and Terry was used to raise awareness on the SNK eshop titles that were seen as shovelware.
Even then, we have yet to see Kasumi as an echo, spirit, or anything of the like. And there's barely anything we saw from Strikers so far that could show up as spirits. Please don't tell me it'll be too late when the P5 fans realise she was intended as a skin and got scrapped.

The latter one is a fairly big stretch though, feels more like Sak was raising awareness on the Neo Geo, a 90s console that exists (and beat Switch to the "portable console" concept with the Neo Geo X). Heck, the SNK Anniv collection has been released roughly a year before Terry's reveal.

It's less that he wants to help people sell something, but more about actually informing new players to the rich history of games. Which is totally something I'm all in for if he does this for every next character Joker onwards, regardless whether they're third-party or not.

Last edited:

MissingGlitch

Smash Master
You could think that. But we still aren't getting the original Persona 5 that Joker appeared in. And Joker got announced and I believe released before we even knew about the Warrories spin off. If anything Joker's appearance might have been the reason it got developed for the Switch as well. But it wasn't to promote it. More of a side thing.

Terry can be heavily debated. But I'm pretty sure that wasn't the intent. He was added due to his games series helping to inspire smash and to throw a bone to the south american crowd that absolutely adores the KOF series and SNK in general.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Persona 5 Royal isn't coming out on Switch and claiming that Terry was included to raise awareness of the SNK eShop games is like saying Simon was included to promote Nintendo Switch Online and the NES Classic.

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
Even then, we have yet to see Kasumi as an echo, spirit, or anything of the like. And there's barely anything we saw from Strikers so far that could show up as spirits. Please don't tell me it'll be too late when the P5 fans realise she was intended as a skin and got scrapped.
I mean, we know that strikers is gonna have connectivity with smash to unlock some side content. So it's entirely possible were getting a spirit battle or 2 for the new characters introduced in that game.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed

The latter one is a fairly big stretch though, feels more like Sak was raising awareness on the Neo Geo, a 90s console that exists (and beat Switch to the "portable console" concept with the Neo Geo X). Heck, the SNK Anniv collection has been released roughly a year before Terry's reveal.

It's less that he wants to help people sell something, but more about actually informing new players to the rich history of games. Which is totally something I'm all in for if he does this for every next character Joker onwards, regardless whether they're third-party or not.
i dunno i got the idea he just really liked snk, with the exception of that character he left out

ThunderSageNun

Nugatory
We really need to throw this whole "needs to promote something" mindset away.

Joker didn't come with Persona 5 Switch.
Banjo didn't come with any sort of Banjo game.
Terry's game basically influenced Smash.
The only thing promotional in this whole pass was making Luminary the default skin for Hero.
This is true, I think a popular recent game can help a character looking likelier as they might feel more relevant for a particular series or company (and this isn't the end all be all as it should be seen by the likes of :ultbanjokazooie:), but simply having a new announcements means jack. I really can't believe people started jumping on the Gordon Freeman ship due to the VR game lol.
The original trilogy just came out on other systems and was revealed at last year's TGS. SoJ only came out a few years back.

Jeez, it's like none of you know what it was like waiting for Dual Destinies or something.
and unlike MEI2 we know the DGS didn't remain unlocalized due to the series recent lackluster sales, or at least that's not entirely the theorized reasons due to the Sherlock Holmes junk in them.

Flyboy

Smash Hero
If anything Terry was added for the opposite reason - SNK games sold like hotcakes on the Switch when it first released and SNK supported Nintendo on the eShop since day one. It's the reason why I was so confident in an SNK character making it as a dark horse pick.

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982
i dunno i got the idea he just really liked snk, with the exception of that character he left out
I am sure Sakurai likes Mai. She is simply too..."adult" for the game rating in Japan.

Last edited:

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
as opposed to the other adult ones he included
It's not that Sakurai finds Mai "too adult". The problem is CERO and, unlike Snake, Bayo and Joker, Mai was not going to be playable, so it really wasn't worth dealing with the ratings boards for that one.

If Sakurai didn't like the character, I don't think he would have even mentioned her in that stream.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
It's not that Sakurai finds Mai "too adult". The problem is CERO and, unlike Snake, Bayo and Joker, Mai was not going to be playable, so it really wasn't worth dealing with the ratings boards for that one.

If Sakurai didn't like the character, I don't think he would have even mentioned her in that stream.
yeah but theres still a few characters who cameo as spirits and what have you who had to be censored so it doesnt seem like a case of "why bother"

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
yeah but theres still a few characters who cameo as spirits and what have you who had to be censored so it doesnt seem like a case of "why bother"
As far as Ultimate is concerned, the only ones I can think of are Tharja and Mythra... both of which are Spirits. A still image would be way easier to censor than a full 3D modeled cameo in KoF Stadium.

Plus, having a Spirit Battle for Mai means someone in Terry's Spirit Board would have to be cut, so that means less representation for other SNK franchises. So yeah, seems to me like Sakurai just didn't want to deal with it and prioritized other characters and cameos instead. I actually think that was smart from a dev perspective, really. :)

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
As far as Ultimate is concerned, the only ones I can think of are Tharja and Mythra... both of which are Spirits. A still image would be way easier to censor than a full 3D modeled cameo in KoF Stadium.

Plus, having a Spirit Battle for Mai means someone in Terry's Spirit Board would have to be cut, so that means less representation for other SNK franchises. So yeah, seems to me like Sakurai just didn't want to deal with it and prioritized other characters and cameos instead. I actually think that was smart from a dev perspective, really. :)
that would at least explain it and make sense cause sakurai made it pretty clear that he was quite the snk fan, him saying that it was cause she was to adult didnt really make much sense in considering the aforementioned other things the excuse he gave just didnt make sense as an actual reason

mind you i suppose he could have been serious and just some how missed the irony of what he said

Flyboy

Smash Hero
Yeah, CERO is super harsh on being able to see upskirts or thighs, and Mai's entire outfit and way she's animated is sexy. In the original Japanese he actually specifically takes a shot at CERO by name and has done multiple interviews talking about how harsh their restrictions are and how frustrating it can be as a result.

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
To add to this explanation: they had to censor Palutena and Wonder Pink in Smash 4 because of CERO. Palutena is... a bit more understandable, since she's a playable character, so they would go the extra mile for her (I think they did so for Peach as well in older games), but a 3D model of a non playable character doesn't really sound like something that would pay off in the end, so it was just easier to scrap Mai altogether.

ThunderSageNun

Nugatory
didn't they also scrap a Tharja trophy according to the ESRB leak? I guess it's just weird how characters like Camilla can get their spirits censored and they simply decide to skip on Mai, but this doesn't really matter to me at the end of the day as it has no real effect on the characters I'd like to see in the game.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Regardless of anything, Mai was left out for pragmatic reasons, nothing more. Unless fans can cause massive changes at CERO, what's done is done, the current situation is one we have to live with. Enough said.

This is true, I think a popular recent game can help a character looking likelier as they might feel more relevant for a particular series or company (and this isn't the end all be all as it should be seen by the likes of :ultbanjokazooie:), but simply having a new announcements means jack. I really can't believe people started jumping on the Gordon Freeman ship due to the VR game lol.
Fake leakers will use anything to prop up the flavor of the month. We've seen this with Tracer and the Overwatch Switch case/port.

didn't they also scrap a Tharja trophy according to the ESRB leak? I guess it's just weird how characters like Camilla can get their spirits censored and they simply decide to skip on Mai, but this doesn't really matter to me at the end of the day as it has no real effect on the characters I'd like to see in the game.
You'd be surprised at what can get past the radar for spirits (e.g. Risky). The less realistic your art style is, the easier they let some skin slide.

Plus the cleavage on :ultbayonetta:'s alt is somehow left alone, so what do we even know...

To add to this explanation: they had to censor Palutena and Wonder Pink in Smash 4 because of CERO. Palutena is... a bit more understandable, since she's a playable character, so they would go the extra mile for her (I think they did so for Peach as well in older games), but a 3D model of a non playable character doesn't really sound like something that would pay off in the end, so it was just easier to scrap Mai altogether.
The funny part is that they didn't censor what happens when Palu's hit by :ultkingdedede:'s FS, it seems. You don't mess with anything that involves Sakurai's Kirby creations.

Last edited:

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
What's weird to me about Mai is that she has had a few different designs over the years that would have been perfectly fine for smash, and these outfits have artwork that would have worked for a spirit at least.

Not even her theme music made it in which confuses me a lot.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Yeah, CERO is super harsh on being able to see upskirts or thighs, and Mai's entire outfit and way she's animated is sexy. In the original Japanese he actually specifically takes a shot at CERO by name and has done multiple interviews talking about how harsh their restrictions are and how frustrating it can be as a result.
maybe they need to consider toning it down, the game designers i mean not cero

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
What's weird to me about Mai is that she has had a few different designs over the years that would have been perfectly fine for smash, and these outfits have artwork that would have worked for a spirit at least.

Not even her theme music made it in which confuses me a lot.
I figure that, in general, a third-party character's most iconic look is THAT important in Sakurai's eyes. I mean, you don't expect Simon to show up in his Chronicles or (lord forbid) Lords of Shadow looks. Nor would you expect Banjo & Kazooie in their Nuts & Bolts look (especially after how well THAT went in regards to Sonic & Sega All-Stars Racing).

They've finally come across a character that causes headaches for this kind of mindset. SNK is going to be reeling from this one and try to rectify the situation within a few years, I feel.

Last edited:

ThunderSageNun

Nugatory
Fake leakers will use anything to prop up the flavor of the month. We've seen this with Tracer and the Overwatch Switch case/port.
To be fair, Overwatch is (was?) a pretty big game recently, and while Switch ports alone don't guarantee a character by any stretch, I imagine that helped the idea of Tracer look likelier, I wasn't paying too much attention at the time to whatever "leakers" said, but a lot of social media users sure were jumping ship on the idea. I don't see how HL returning with what I'm not even sure if it's even a main game counts for much when, afaik, Valves only presence on Nintendo is that one Portal bridge constructor game. Not that this matters much at the end of the day, as you said, people are constantly going for the flavor of the month character just due to some minimal reasoning.
I mean, you don't expect Simon to show up in his Chronicles or (lord forbid) Lords of Shadow looks. .
still not as bad as Judgement Simon in his Death Note character reject grandiose.

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
To be fair, Overwatch is (was?) a pretty big game recently, and while Switch ports alone don't guarantee a character by any stretch, I imagine that helped the idea of Tracer look likelier, I wasn't paying too much attention at the time to whatever "leakers" said, but a lot of social media users sure were jumping ship on the idea. I don't see how HL returning with what I'm not even sure if it's even a main game counts for much when, afaik, Valves only presence on Nintendo is that one Portal bridge constructor game. Not that this matters much at the end of the day, as you said, people are constantly going for the flavor of the month character just due to some minimal reasoning.

still not as bad as Judgement Simon in his Death Note character reject grandiose.
Yeah, I mean for instance people assume strongly that 2B will get in just because she's a Square Enix/Platinum character, despite the fact that Nier Automata has zippo presence on the Switch until further notice, not even as a cameo. Fans will support the character they want, logic be damned.

Also, yeah, I forgot about Judgement, tough I'd rather not talk about that version of Simon anyways.

Last edited:

Matadormon

Smash Apprentice
Yeah, I mean for instance people assume strongly that 2B will get in just because she's a Square Enix/Platinum character, despite the fact that Nier Automata has zippo presence on the Switch until further notice, not even as a cameo. Fans will support the character they want, logic be damned.

Also, yeah, I forgot about Judgement, tough I'd rather not talk about that version of Simon anyways.
To be fair, 2B DID got a cameo on the Switch. That was Phantasy Star Online 2.

MissingGlitch

Smash Master
It's comforting seeing all the Ace Attorney Christmas posts get thousands and thousands of likes and retweets.

Top Bottom