• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

TAKE THAT! Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney smashes the prosecution!

Arctiq

Smash Journeyman
Honestly, the highlight of the night for me was Bravely Default 2 (still miffed it's not called Bravely Third), so I'm very happy. Muppets were also really cute.

Last edited:

Caladuz

Smash Apprentice
Unrelated note but did we get that unannounced Capcom game? We only have a week until Jump Festa, so will there be an announcement there?

Last edited:

TemporalShrew

Smash Journeyman
Unrelated note but did we get that unannounced Capcom game? We only have a week until Jump Festa, so will there be an announcement there?
Well, Capcom is apparently rumored to be revealing 2 games there already, so I'm assuming that's what's going down.

Pretty sure the only Capcom presence at TGAs was DMC getting an award, but I could be misremembering.

AceAttorney9000

Smash Lord
I don't think so. No Capcom announcements, which I guess means it's Jump Festa for those two unannounced games.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
I expected the worst, hoped for the best, and got nothing. At this point I'm wondering whether January will bring a general Direct or a Smash one. I'm leaning on Smash as they do have to announce a character and at least explain post-Pass, but then again Nintendo has a lot of ground to cover in terms of releases, they got nothing aside from Animal Crossing and beyond the announcement of Bravely Default II today didn't change that.

By the way, when's Jump Festa? Feeling good about that one.

Last edited:

NSSKG151

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Lucaruto151RedX
3DS FC
1092-1616-4089
Switch FC
SW-4128-7335-9024
So, FP5 is still up in the air huh. I never watched VGA before plus I was too busy with other stuff anyways. I think people set their expectations too high for FP5 character showing up there anyways.

I'm guessing we will see in FP5 and the first post pass character in the next Nintendo Direct in January most likely. Here's hoping we see Wright in Smash along with AA7.

TemporalShrew

Smash Journeyman
but then again Nintendo has a lot of ground to cover in terms of releases, they got nothing aside from Animal Crossing and beyond the announcement of Bravely Default II today didn't change that.
You underestimate the odds that Nintendo just doesn't have a whole lot to release in the first quarter of 2020, like most years. That being said, I am optimistic about a Direct fairly soon.

I think Jump Festa starts on the 21st, by the way.

AceAttorney9000

Smash Lord
I expected the worst, hoped for the best, and got nothing. At this point I'm wondering whether January will bring a general Direct or a Smash one. I'm leaning on Smash as they do have to announce a character and at least explain post-Pass, but then again Nintendo has a lot of ground to cover in terms of releases, they got nothing aside from Animal Crossing and beyond the announcement of Bravely Default II today didn't change that.

By the way, when's Jump Festa? Feeling good about that one.
December 21st and 22nd, so basically the weekend after.

I would expect Ace Attorney 7 to be revealed there. Wright in Smash? Maybe, but I won't hold my breath since I think a Direct is more likely.

SmashSSL

Smash Apprentice
So what's the current status on the leakers? Do they still have any credibility? i haven't been paying attention to that, lately.
Are the deconfirmations still standing?

Krankees

Smash Ace

I would expect Ace Attorney 7 to be revealed there. Wright in Smash? Maybe, but I won't hold my breath since I think a Direct is more likely.
I don't think it's possible at all for smash to be revealed at Jump Festa.

TemporalShrew

Smash Journeyman
So what's the current status on the leakers? Do they still have any credibility? i haven't been paying attention to that, lately.
Are the deconfirmations still standing?
Well, since absolutely nothing was revealed, I'm pretty sure they're just going to double down on their statements. Sadly, none of them claimed specifically that a reveal would happen at TGAs, so no one's right or wrong yet.

Caladuz

Smash Apprentice
Excellent, this gives me even more reason to look forward to jump festa.

AceAttorney9000

Smash Lord
Well, since absolutely nothing was revealed, I'm pretty sure they're just going to double down on their statements. Sadly, none of them claimed specifically that a reveal would happen at TGAs, so no one's right or wrong yet.
There is that one 4chan text "leak" that tried to predict a bunch of stuff at the Game Awards, including KOS-MOS as Fighter 5. Of course, I don't think any of it happened, so that one's obviously dead as a doornail.

Caladuz

Smash Apprentice
Yes, unfortunately they played it soo safe that their credibility would be safe no matter which way it went tonight. Would have been nice to weed some of the fake leakers out.

Krankees

Smash Ace
There is that one 4chan text "leak" that tried to predict a bunch of stuff at the Game Awards, including KOS-MOS as Fighter 5. Of course, I don't think any of it happened, so that one's obviously dead as a doornail.
I was suspicious of that leak just because it said SMT5 was gonna get announced.

TemporalShrew

Smash Journeyman
I was suspicious of that leak just because it said SMT5 was gonna get announced.
I know it's just phrasing, but it's been so long since the reveal that I wouldn't be surprised if most people have genuinely forgotten SMTV was announced.

Caladuz

Smash Apprentice
I don't think it's possible at all for smash to be revealed at Jump Festa.
This is true, however if there happened to be a direct, next week, then the planets would seem to be aligning perfectly, no? Lol, ofcourse it probably won't happen but can't help myself from hoping.

Last edited:

~The Koopa King~

Smash Ace
Switch FC
3169-5182-0524
i think what I'm really upset about is the way nintendo's handled Smash DLC it just leads to a lot of toxic speculation and wars between leakers as well as the fans

all because nintendo just thinks this is the perfect way to build hype and keep interest in the product when in reality it's just tearing the smash community apart and causing some people to lash out negatively because such and such wasn't revealed or no reveal happened

TemporalShrew

Smash Journeyman
i think what I'm really upset about is the way nintendo's handled Smash DLC it just leads to a lot of toxic speculation and wars between leakers as well as the fans

all because nintendo just thinks this is the perfect way to build hype and keep interest in the product when in reality it's just tearing the smash community apart and causing some people to lash out negatively because such and such wasn't revealed or no reveal happened
I love and hate how Nintendo handles Smash and its DLC. It absolutely does build hype, and it's a unique sort of hype, since Nintendo's marketing never seems to follow any clear pattern. But... as far as I'm aware, no other fighting game keeps people in the dark on both what the DLC is going to be and when that DLC is happening for quite so long. It's exciting, but it's also pretty draining.

King Sonnn DeDeDoo

Smash Champion

I mean to be honest the whole speculation/leaks scene is barely even a fraction of the entire fan base or the community. A lot of people just wait for characters to be revealed.

Still kind of sucks that speculation has gone down hill, I find speculation usually pretty fun.

An Archie

Smash Cadet

I really don't feel like it's nintendo's fault? The toxic part comes from the diehard fans or the supposed leakers who have their every word treated like gospel. People outside the speculation sphere have nothing wrong with it.

~The Koopa King~

Smash Ace
Switch FC
3169-5182-0524
I really don't feel like it's nintendo's fault? The toxic part comes from the diehard fans or the supposed leakers who have their every word treated like gospel. People outside the speculation sphere have nothing wrong with it.
what is their fault however is their insistence on keeping everyone in the dark about the dlc to the point where we just want it to be over with already....

no other fighting game to my knowledge screws around with DLC like this

Last edited:

Krankees

Smash Ace
what is their fault however is their insistence on keeping everyone in the dark about the dlc to the point where we just want it to be over with already....

no other fighting game to my knowledge screws around with DLC like this
Well blaming Nintendo isn't gonna get us anywhere so we might as well deal with it and just wait.

~The Koopa King~

Smash Ace
Switch FC
3169-5182-0524
Well blaming Nintendo isn't gonna get us anywhere so we might as well deal with it and just wait.
that's what we've been doing and i really just wish nintendo had a better way of keeping hype going for smash instead of just saying nothing until bam! random direct

MissingGlitch

Smash Master
I still had some small hope that Phoenix Wright would have objected at some random time during the presentation. Oh well!

i still wish that Nintendo warned us like they did with the Terry video. But eh not a big deal.

~The Koopa King~

Smash Ace
Switch FC
3169-5182-0524
I still had some small hope that Phoenix Wright would have objected at some random time during the presentation. Oh well!

i still wish that Nintendo warned us like they did with the Terry video. But eh not a big deal.
it just feels so weird that we end the year not even knowing who FP5 is and seeing fan speculation go into overdrive

THE SLOTH

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-6683-7510-3712
It's like if they released a third Banjo game and it was titled "Banjo & Kazooie 3."
As someone unfamiliar with the Bravely games, the impression I got was that Default was the first game, Second was a spin-off/experimental sequel and that 2 is going to be a “true” sequel or something. That’s just the impression I got by the naming convention, its likely not accurate.

Dukemon102

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-8185-5597-2987
Seems like I missed absolutely nothing.
I totally didn't expect that Nintendo wouldn't announce anything at all.
Now. This community will need to learn something called patience... this won't end well.

Calamitas

Smash Champion
As someone unfamiliar with the Bravely games, the impression I got was that Default was the first game, Second was a spin-off/experimental sequel and that 2 is going to be a “true” sequel or something. That’s just the impression I got by the naming convention, its likely not accurate.
Yeah, that's not accurate at all. Second continued the story, featured largely the same characters, expanded upon concept of the first game, and even largely plays the same as the original. It is a not a spin-off or experimental sequel by any means.

Dukemon102

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-8185-5597-2987
Yeah, that's not accurate at all. Second continued the story, featured largely the same characters, expanded upon concept of the first game, and even largely plays the same as the original. It is a not a spin-off or experimental sequel by any means.
Something that I notice with JRPGs is how numbered sequels tend to take the concept and reboot it with a completely new story and setting, direct sequels are the exception, not the rule. Xenoblade Chronicles X and 2, most numbered SMT and Persona games, any new Final Fantasy or Dragon Quest.
I think that they are calling it Bravely Default II because they are going to start from stratch instead of continuing the same story.
I hope this time they let the game end when it needs to instead of dragging it on and on with the same cycle.

Edit: This talk made me want a Tiz Mii Costume packed with That Person's Name Is.

Last edited:

~The Koopa King~

Smash Ace
Switch FC
3169-5182-0524

with nintendo...nothing's more likely
they can be as random and bizarre as they want because that seems to be how they do business

Geoffrey Druyts

Smash Ace
3DS FC
1993-7715-4423
Switch FC
SW-6723-8387-1403
Nice to know that I wasted 4 hours of my life watching the game awards with barely any Nintendo news at all... And on my birthday of all days.

This was my first game awards ever, and I'm pretty sure I'm ever watching the game awards ever again.

THE SLOTH

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-6683-7510-3712
Nice to know that I wasted 4 hours of my life watching the game awards with barely any Nintendo news at all... And on my birthday of all days.

This was my first game awards ever, and I'm pretty sure I'm ever watching the game awards ever again.
Minus the birthday bit (that's not until next month), I was in the same boat and unfortunately agree on this sentiment. Nintendo seemed to be holding their cards close to their chest, which makes me think they're saving stuff for a January direct. Even ignoring that, the content they showed off was very hit-or-miss, and there was a lot of fluff with advertisements, musical performances, and a Muppets bit that, while cute, was ultimately just more fluff. Even Sony's State of Play the day before had more to say in a very small fraction of the time. I'm gonna pass next year, especially if it's at the same time next year as it was this year.

Last edited:

Geoffrey Druyts

Smash Ace
3DS FC
1993-7715-4423
Switch FC
SW-6723-8387-1403
Minus the birthday bit (that's not until next month), I was in the same boat and unfortunately agree on this sentiment. Nintendo seemed to be holding their cards close to their chest, which makes me think they're saving stuff for a January direct. Even ignoring that, the content they showed off was very hit-or-miss, and there was a lot of fluff with advertisements, musical performances, and a Muppets bit that, while cute, was ultimately just more fluff. Even Sony's State of Play the day before had more to say in a very small fraction of the time. I'm gonna pass next year, especially if it's at the same time next year as it was this year.
If next year's game awards somehow has a smash reveal, then I'll be able to see it when Gamexplain reposts the reveal on their channel. I am also hoping for a direct very soon.

Lazyrex

Smash Cadet
The game awards doesn’t exist for game reveals, it’s entertainment and a award ceremony with occasional cool reveals, although this one was pretty underwhelming but I think it’s the same reason E3 was underwhelming, it’s the very end of the generation, most companies are waiting to reveal their big stuff til E3 2020.
although Nintendo I think should have revealed at least something they are in the middle of their generation

Top Bottom