• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

TAKE THAT! Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney smashes the prosecution!

Dukemon102

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-8185-5597-2987
This possible information about Jill getting scrapped and getting the RE spirits before the Fighter 5 announcement is quite interesting tho.
It feels like they are giving us the remains of the scrapped content anyway.... *Ace attorney Spirits announced!!*

...since when was Dedede packing heat?
Since his inception as a character.

Last edited:

Krankees

Smash Ace
I'm just trying to make sure but Sakurai said it was Nintendo that chose the selection of characters for dlc, and then he would choose from Nintendo's selection correct?

AceAttorney9000

Smash Lord
Well, I'll just have to take your word for it, but I certainly don't remember- DEDEDE NO
View attachment 249548
I don't blame him for getting a gun. Dude's gotta defend himself now that Kirby has one...

I'm just trying to make sure but Sakurai said it was Nintendo that chose the selection of characters for dlc, and then he would choose from Nintendo's selection correct?
Yeah, Nintendo brought him a list of DLC characters, then Sakurai gets to choose from that list who actually gets included.

Last edited:

Krankees

Smash Ace
Yeah, Nintendo brought him a list of DLC characters, then Sakurai gets to choose from that list who actually gets included.
Good to know cause I don't see that get brought up a lot. People mostly assume the character already got picked to be put in the selection.

Last edited:

SNEKeater

Smash Master
Interesting phrasing. "Political reasons". Think that lines up with the idea that CERO stepped in and was against a Z-Rated character being in Smash? Hmm.
The only think I can think about for CERO being against Jill is that Sakurai wanted to include as a default design or as an alt his Resident Evil 3 look.

The problem would be the skirt, I guess.
I don't think she was discarded for CERO, anyway. Maybe Sakurai and Capcom negotiated for some characters and Resident Evil didn't end well, maybe because Sakurai wanted to include zombies or some grotesque creatures from the franchise or maybe because he didn't figured out (which would surprise me I must say) a moveset for the character, like Heihachi in Smash 4.

ThunderSageNun

Nugatory
Yeah, it does add credence to the zombies being too gory to get in here. At least with Doom's monsters, you have the excuse of easily-edited, or relatively safer sprites. There really aren't much noteworthy RE games with usable sprites, and one was outright cancelled.
Imagine a stage that looked like or borrowed assets from this
I think that's scarier than any ultra detailed, super realistic zombie tbh.
I believe this is just the popular interpretation of that tweet Sakurai made regarding DLC and not neccesarily an undoubtable fact, if we'll ever know how the process went in full detail, it's probably only be when Ultimate is finished for good.

Last edited:

TemporalShrew

Smash Journeyman
That should 100% be the name of his trailer if he's in.
If it's the name of his Classic mode, the criterion of his Classic mode has to be that you're forced to play as tiny Phoenix against either giant or normal-sized opponents, to represent the long odds every time he takes a case.

Caladuz

Smash Apprentice
Hmm I don't know how to feel about the Jill information. Phoenix has some circumstantial evidence that would be invalidated if he was decided on much later than we originally thought. The only way it really helps his case is if we assume Sakurai would continue to look to Capcom for a replacement and that Capcom would want to push him now. Plus, it doesn't feel as good when you think that Sakurai is just settling on Phoenix, instead of him being one of his top picks (if that makes any sense)? All in all, I hope that information isn't accurate.

Hinata

Never forget, a believing heart is your magic.
Premium
Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
If it's the name of his Classic mode, the criterion of his Classic mode has to be that you're forced to play as tiny Phoenix against either giant or normal-sized opponents, to represent the long odds every time he takes a case.
You start off as tiny Phoenix, but as the classic mode progresses, you eventually play as normal-sized Phoenix against normal opponents, until the very end, where you're permanently giant against shrunken foes.

Arctiq

Smash Journeyman
You start off as tiny Phoenix, but as the classic mode progresses, you eventually play as normal-sized Phoenix against normal opponents, until the very end, where you're permanently giant against shrunken foes.
I was just thinking that too. How about instead you start growing and shrinking at random intervals? This could describe a court case really well.

Krankees

Smash Ace
That sounds like a good way to do it since dlc character's classic don't feature other dlc characters.
(They don't feature other dlc characters right?)

Dukemon102

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-8185-5597-2987
Or his Classic route.
Hoo boy. Classic route. There's goes my imagination again:
Turnabout Smash!
Almost all fights happen in courtroom stage.

Stage 1:
Vs. Purple Mario and then White Ganondorf
You have to protect Orange Luigi.

Stage 2:
Vs Red Biker Wario and Snake
Wario is invincible until Snake gets knocked out.

Stage 3:
Vs White and Red Peach
You have to protect Zelda on Twilight Princess outfit.

Stage 4:
Vs Simon
You have help from Mii Brawler on Apollo's costume.
You have to protect Pink Female Villager

Stage 5:
Vs Giant Fox
You have help from Mii Brawler on Apollo's costume and another Mii on Athena's costume.
You lose if Mii Athena dies.

Stage 6 on Suzaku Castle:
Vs. Giant purple Bayonetta
You got Apollo's help again. But he's giant now.
If the Mii dies you lose.

Final Stage:
Gauntlet of opponents in this order:
Pit, Chrom, Blood Falcon, Greenish Meta Knight, White ZSS and finally Link in redish alt.

Hinata

Never forget, a believing heart is your magic.
Premium
Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
You know what I just realized? People always talk about how Maya would be easy to get into Smash as a part of Phoenix's moveset, because her AA6 voice actress sung Lifelight.

But nobody ever mentions that Edgeworth would be equally as easy, because he shares a voice actor with Ryu.

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
Hoo boy. Classic route. There's goes my imagination again:
Turnabout Smash!
Almost all fights happen in courtroom stage.

Stage 1:
Vs. Purple Mario and then White Ganondorf
You have to protect Orange Luigi.

Stage 2:
Vs Red Biker Wario and Snake
Wario is invincible until Snake gets knocked out.

Stage 3:
Vs White and Red Peach
You have to protect Zelda on Twilight Princess outfit.

Stage 4:
Vs Simon
You have help from Mii Brawler on Apollo's costume.
You have to protect Pink Female Villager

Stage 5:
Vs Giant Fox
You have help from Mii Brawler on Apollo's costume and another Mii on Athena's costume.
You lose if Mii Athena dies.

Stage 6 on Suzaku Castle:
Vs. Giant purple Bayonetta
You got Apollo's help again. But he's giant now.
If the Mii dies you lose.

Final Stage:
Gauntlet of opponents in this order:
Pit, Chrom, Blood Falcon, Greenish Meta Knight, White ZSS and finally Link in redish alt.
Half of these went over my head.

Arctiq

Smash Journeyman
You know what I just realized? People always talk about how Maya would be easy to get into Smash as a part of Phoenix's moveset, because her AA6 voice actress sung Lifelight.

But nobody ever mentions that Edgeworth would be equally as easy, because he shares a voice actor with Ryu.
I'd prefer if Phoenix was on his own. It'd set him apart from his UMvC3 counterpart. But Maya could definitely be a part of his taunts and victory animations.

TemporalShrew

Smash Journeyman
I'd prefer if Phoenix was on his own. It'd set him apart from his UMvC3 counterpart. But Maya could definitely be a part of his taunts and victory animations.
I'd like to see her appear in at least one of his moves. She doesn't need to be an overwhelming element of his move-set, but it feels like she belongs there in some capacity.

Last edited:

AceAttorney9000

Smash Lord
So assuming Phoenix does get in, what do you think his reveal tagline should be? My guess is: PHOENIX MAKES HIS CASE!
That's one example. It could also be...

PHOENIX WRIGHT
TAKES IT TO COURT!

PHOENIX WRIGHT
PREPARES TO OBJECT!

PHOENIX WRIGHT
RISES TO THE OCCASION!

PHOENIX WRIGHT
PRESSES THE MATCH!

culumon

Smash Apprentice
Have we talked about potential spirit battles yet?

Because there's no way in hell Franziska wouldn't be Richter.

TemporalShrew

Smash Journeyman
That's one example. It could also be...

PHOENIX WRIGHT
TAKES IT TO COURT!

PHOENIX WRIGHT
PREPARES TO OBJECT!

PHOENIX WRIGHT
RISES TO THE OCCASION!

PHOENIX WRIGHT
PRESSES THE MATCH!
If Phoenix had been absent for a bit longer than he has, it would have been a great opportunity to introduce him with "Phoenix Wright Rises from the Ashes!"

Krankees

Smash Ace
Yeah if Maya was in his moveset, she would destroy everyone in the roster no questions asked.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
IGC seems to be 50-50, AFAIK. She was banking on Banjo before Shinobi, but also said Rare Replay would come to the Switch soon after, If I'm not mistaken. She was also one of the people who called Ori, I think.

...No comment. :joyful:

This all started with a post a few pages ago with a video theorizing that CP5 is Capcom and talking about Jill's negotiations supposedly "falling through" as evidence, with another Capcom rep potentially taking her place (you know where this is going). I tried to find IGC's post to shed some light on the matter. That... about sums it up.

Nothing conclusive, of course, but we're supposed to speculate, so...
Ohhh, I see.

I dunno, I find it really hard to imagine Sakurai being rejected and settling for another character, he seems like an all or nothing kind of guy.

TemporalShrew

Smash Journeyman
Ohhh, I see.

I dunno, I find it really hard to imagine Sakurai being rejected and settling for another character, he seems like an all or nothing kind of guy.
Maybe, but if it wasn't Capcom that did the rejecting, it's possible he would look for someone else from them, if negotiations had already made some headway and he didn't just want to drop a publisher because CERO, for example, wouldn't play ball.

Sonsa

Smash Champion
For the tagline, I can't help but imagine the trailer has people arguing he has to go, bombarding him like the end of the games,
Maya: Let's go, let's go!
Edgeworth: Pack your bags, Wright, don't be late!
Judge banging gavel: I order you to attend, Mr. Wright!
then zoom in on Phoenix, splash screen "Phoenix Wright-" he can't take it anymore-
"OBJECTION!"
And then into gameplay!

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Maybe, but if it wasn't Capcom that did the rejecting, it's possible he would look for someone else from them, if negotiations had already made some headway and he didn't just want to drop a publisher because CERO, for example, wouldn't play ball.
That's true, but I honestly don't believe that RE in Smash would be rejected by CERO, it's incredibly easy to censor. Marvel vs. Capcom did it very well.

Krankees

Smash Ace
For the tagline, I can't help but imagine the trailer has people arguing he has to go, bombarding him like the end of the games,
Maya: Let's go, let's go!
Edgeworth: Pack your bags, Wright, don't be late!
Judge banging gavel: I order you to attend, Mr. Wright!
then zoom in on Phoenix, splash screen "Phoenix Wright-" he can't take it anymore-
"OBJECTION!"
And then into gameplay!
I think that one or something similar to that one seems the most likely to me so far.

Top Bottom