• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

TAKE THAT! Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney smashes the prosecution!

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Considering they're also saying it's a livestream while showing pre-recorded footage of Sakurai in the thumbnail, I wouldn't lend much credence to the "no unannounced fighters" thing.

Or else it's going to be the most boring 45 minutes ever.

SNEKeater

Smash Master
Add me to the support list.

I've been playing the first Ace Attorney game and I'm really digging it. I wouldn't mind at all if he gets in before Dante or a Resident Evil character (my most wanteds), I think any Capcom character would be really cool and always thought of him as an interesting inclusion for Smash.

I don't know if he will happen wednesday but I can feel the "Objection!" at the end of the video.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Guys picture this.

It states no DLC fighters will be announced but imagine as Sakurai states that's all at the end suddenly we hear "OBJECTION!!!!"

That'd be very genius and trollish for him to do.

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
All this talk about a hypothetical Phoenix appearance in smash is making feel really nostalgic towards this franchise. It occurred to me today that's it's been over a decade since I was first introduced to it and man it feels really nice to hear the old songs.

I would love to hear a Smash remix of Turnabout sisters someday.

I think I'll revisit the trilogy soon

Last edited:

Northadox

Smash Apprentice
If Phoenix got his own 45 minute-long DLC presentation, what would Sakurai go over and what new memes would be made because of it?

KirbyMonadoBoy

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Shulkinator
View attachment 245122

Nothing major and it doesn't say anything about Phoenix being revealed at the direct specifically but it's fun.
The fact that the leak didn't say with a single word that fighter 5 will be announced alongside the Terry-presentation/release makes this leak even more believable. Let's hope it is real, at least there is some hope regarding the TGA in December.

If Phoenix got his own 45 minute-long DLC presentation, what would Sakurai go over and what new memes would be made because of it?
1.) Sakurai: "You are curious which Music tracks we included? Take That!!" (a list of all tracks, including every singe iteration of Pursuit-Themes starts scrolling across the screen). "Our developers were especially fond of the Ace Attorney music, therefore we added a total of 30 tracks (10 Remixes) from games across the series into Smash Bros."
2.) Sakurai: "This marks the first time a DLC-character comes along with his own Echo-fighter. Whether you prefer to play with Phoenix Wright or with Miles Edgeworth, the choice is up to you!"
3.) Sakurai: "My development team and I were getting a bit bored of all the same stages during competitive tournaments. We put a lot of care into the brand-new courtroom stage to appeal to casual players (hazard on) as well as competitive players (hazard off). Therefore, we hope the court room stage will be a.... literal "legal stage" in competitive tournaments (there is laughing in the background). "With hazards on several of the prosecutors, defendants and attorneys of the Ace Attorney series will appear and disrupt the players dependent on their properties" (Sakurai starts showing all of them (like Klavier, Simon, Franziska, Godot, Oldbag, Juniper, Apollo, Athena,...) and explaining them a little bit, e.g. Franziska uses her whip and can hit players if they are not careful enough).
4.) The presentation ends with: "Well, we came a long way, but the wave of new DLC-fighters will slowly come to an end..." ... screen fades out... Kirby (with Phoenix hair), Phoenix, Miles and Sakurai are seen, all four of them doing the famous Objection-Pose. "Objection! We won't stop developing new characters, for 2020 five more unique characters are planned + additional Echo-fighters and costumes, so stay tuned!"

Last edited:

Arctiq

Smash Journeyman
1.) Sakurai: "You are curious which Music tracks we included? Take That!!" (a list of all tracks, including every singe iteration of Pursuit-Themes starts scrolling across the screen). "Our developers were especially fond of the Ace Attorney music, therefore we added a total of 30 tracks (10 Remixes) from games across the series into Smash Bros."
2.) Sakurai: "This marks the first time a DLC-character comes along with his own Echo-fighter. Whether you prefer to play with Phoenix Wright or with Miles Edgeworth, the choice is up to you!"
3.) Sakurai: "My development team and I were getting a bit bored of all the same stages during competitive tournaments. We put a lot of care into the brand-new courtroom stage to appeal to casual players (hazard on) as well as competitive players (hazard off). Therefore, we hope the court room stage will be a.... literal "legal stage" in competitive tournaments (there is laughing in the background). "With hazards on several of the prosecutors, defendants and attorneys of the Ace Attorney series will appear and disrupt the players dependent on their properties" (Sakurai starts showing all of them (like Klavier, Simon, Franziska, Godot, Oldbag, Juniper, Apollo, Athena,...) and explaining them a little bit, e.g. Franziska uses her whip and can hit players if they are not careful enough).
4.) The presentation ends with: "Well, we came a long way, but the wave of new DLC-fighters will slowly come to an end..." ... screen fades out... Kirby (with Phoenix hair), Phoenix, Miles and Sakurai are seen, all four of them doing the famous Objection-Pose. "Objection! We won't stop developing new characters, for 2020 five more unique characters are planned + additional Echo-fighters and costumes, so stay tuned!"
And there should be a step ladder in the background of the stream just for the hardcore fans.

JustMyself13

Smash Journeyman
Imagine at the end of the Terry direct or any direct at all, Sakurai begins talking about the future of DLC and why the fifth character isn’t being shown. However, during his address, a blinking green “testimony” appears in the top left corner, and as Sakurai says, “as stated previously, no unannounced fighters will be shown during this presentation,” the HOLD IT! speech bubble appears, and suddenly the camera pans to the left, and you can guess who’s ready to reveal the contradiction.

Bobthealligator

Smash Ace
Well about the new leaks, I don't know if that means those 2 are 100% getting is as playable characters but at least they aren't Capcom so our boy still lives!
Anyway, I hope we get official info this week, maybe a Smash direct?
Actually I'd say this would make them less likely. Mii costumes likely don't too long to make and having one that's set to release alongside a character next Febuary and another even later playable now. I find that unlikely. So if it's real they're probably coming alongside Terry which i would take to mean neither Geno nor Doomguy are planned.

Caladuz

Smash Apprentice
Actually I'd say this would make them less likely. Mii costumes likely don't too long to make and having one that's set to release alongside a character next Febuary and another even later playable now. I find that unlikely. So if it's real they're probably coming alongside Terry which i would take to mean neither Geno nor Doomguy are planned.
If those leaks are real, and are meant to be a consolation prize as you suggest, wouldn't it make more sense to make mii costumes of the actual characters that people are hyped for? It'd be like if we got a blue badger costume with no possibility of Wright.

TemporalShrew

Smash Journeyman
If those leaks are real, and are meant to be a consolation prize as you suggest, wouldn't it make more sense to make mii costumes of the actual characters that people are hyped for? It'd be like if we got a blue badger costume with no possibility of Wright.
In fairness, we only "know" of the two costumes that leak showed us - it's entirely possible that the characters people want are also stuck in Mii costume land. There is, after all, that "Premium Costumes" leak (which I don't believe is accurate, but nevertheless) which claims that, for example, both Geno and Mallow are just Mii costumes.

JustMyself13

Smash Journeyman
I sensed a new development. Something big enough to bring about my return! What has happened regarding our dear lawyer?
A leak from early October predicted Terry for November 6th (though we technically don’t have confirmation whether or not he’ll be released tomorrow) and Phoenix Wright as fighter 5. While it’s only a text leak with little to back it up other than that date, it’s currently correct.

Last edited:

Caladuz

Smash Apprentice
In fairness, we only "know" of the two costumes that leak showed us - it's entirely possible that the characters people want are also stuck in Mii costume land. There is, after all, that "Premium Costumes" leak (which I don't believe is accurate, but nevertheless) which claims that, for example, both Geno and Mallow are just Mii costumes.
I agree, I'm not arguing in favor or against the validity of the leak and what could be potentially hidden from us. I just don't think that if they were real, we would be able conclude that either character is less likely (based on the information we have now, anyway).

Leotsune

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Leotsune
Funnily enough, we are the only fanbase allowed to even joke about actually having a character announcement tomorrow, y'know because Phoenix would be the one to point out that contradiction.
Coz Nintendo wouldn't lie to us yareyare.
At the end of the day I just wanna play Terry already.

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
Funnily enough, we are the only fanbase allowed to even joke about actually having a character announcement tomorrow, y'know because Phoenix would be the one to point out that contradiction.
I just wanna see Phoenix defending his inclusion against Edgeworth saying that they're not supposed to reveal anyone in the Direct due to the witness' (Sakurai's) testimony.

Leotsune

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Leotsune
I just wanna see Phoenix defending his inclusion against Edgeworth saying that they're not supposed to reveal anyone in the Direct due to the witness' (Sakurai's) testimony.
The evidence Phoenix pulls out is to prove the contradiction in Sakurai's statement is the Smash invitation!

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Well, in fairness, it's not Nintendo's fault that fans get disappointed about something they were never explicitly promised. Smash fans are not the clowns, they're the whole circus.

Last edited:

ZTurtle

Smash Journeyman
Well, in fairness, it's not Nintendo's fault that fans get disappointed about something they were never explicitly promised. Smash fans are not the clowns, they're the whole circus.
They really should come with a supply of cheese to match their vintage whine.
1573001483699.png

ThunderSageNun

Nugatory
Welp, I guess that's how you talk about a character presentation for 45 minutes with no newcomers to announce.

Last edited:

Leotsune

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Leotsune
Well, we still have that leak going for us.
We should think about that in December, in the meantime let us enjoy playing Terry for a while.
Remember, its more important that the character is fun to play rather than how recognizable they are.
That statement gives me hope.

Bobthealligator

Smash Ace
Well now we know they're probably not, but the idea was that they'd also get Geno and Doomguy just not showing them, as then no one would believe it. The main reason this, like the Grinch leak got so much traction is confirmation bias, and people didn't think about what it meant.

TemporalShrew

Smash Journeyman
I never go on /v/, that place is too hellish even for me. It's not hard to stay out of 4Chan if you're distracted enough, I haven't been to /m/ in years.
you must be in deeper than me, ive never once been on it
Oh, you can stay off the site, but you can't participate in Smash discussions without coming across one, two, or a thousand text posts about what's "definitely" right around the corner, y'know?

Also, no Phoenix makes me sad.

But no character at all yet means he's definitely right around the corner, I swear!

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Yeah, people still give the time of day to obviously fake text leaks. Fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice, shame on me, fool me three times, I'm a complete goddamn buffoon.

Also, wow, that amount of songs Terry came with.

An Archie

Smash Cadet
Could you imagine if phoenix came to smash with 50 songs!
God now I have to figure out my top 50 favourite Ace Attorney songs...

THE SLOTH

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-6683-7510-3712
In hindsight, I can understand why this character breakdown was longer than the others. I've seen plenty of characters join Smash that are from series I'm not familiar of, but have at least heard of. Meanwhile, Terry and SNK completely flew under my radar for years (didn't know they made Metal Slug, that was news to me), and I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of other Smash fans were in the same boat. A bit of history surrounding the Neo Geo and Fatal Fury/The King of Fighters series, plus the long list of fan service I feel was well deserved. Like Sakurai said, what a character brings to the table is far more important than their relevancy/if they're recognizable.

... Which bolsters my hopes more for Wright, a character popular in Japan and with a better than most, but still niche following. On the subject of music, wow. I seriously doubt any other character is getting nearly as many songs with their challenger pack, but I'd gladly be proven wrong. For reference, Joker came with 11 songs, Hero with 8, and Banjo with 10. And then the chad that Terry is, busts down the door with five times as many songs. Wow. Granted, not all from his home series, kinda SNK as a whole, but still!

Realistically, I think Wright will come with 10 songs at most, maaaaybe 20? I mean, Mega Man and Street Figher got a good chunk of songs over Smash 4 and Ultimate, so I don't think Capcom's too stingy with songs, hopefully.

Last edited:

ThunderSageNun

Nugatory
I imagine AA would get somewhere between the range of 10-20 songs should Phoenix be DLC, maybe they'll do remixes that involve more than 1 track from the series? Like they could try to mash up the objection and cornered themes into one, or a collection of the detention room themes or something.
Sakurai just seemed really happy to expose to others his love for the NeoGeo and SNK and how he transitioned this into Smash Bros, and that's pretty cool, maybe a little too long for my liking, but still nice.

Northadox

Smash Apprentice
Last edited:
Top Bottom