• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

TAKE THAT! Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney smashes the prosecution!

Caladuz

Smash Apprentice
Now i realized something. With all of that Speculation going con in the last month, how people would react if Phoenix gets in Smash?
I'm worried about it because of all the salt he could get...
I've actually seen a lot more salt in the last couple months regarding Phoenix. I think that happens to any character that gets into the speculation limelight for a decent amount of time though. They are heavily supported until certain people sour on them. Nothing to worry about though, if he was in, I believe there will be more support than hate. If he's not, he's the perfect character to be a goofy heel.

Last edited:

Handy Man

Smash Ace
Now i realized something. With all of that Speculation going con in the last month, how people would react if Phoenix gets in Smash?
Things are getting intense with character picks like Ryu Hayabusa or Crash, so what if it could get worse ?
Any character that gets added to Smash would generate salt no matter what. This could be because of reasons like "they added this character over the one I wanted", "I don't play this game so I don't like this character", and so on. It's also worth noting that Phoenix is competing with other Capcom franchises, so some people that want a character from a series like Resident Evil or Okami may feel salt as well, unless we get more than one Capcom rep as DLC.

With that said, I would be surprised if Phoenix Wright overall was received poorly. For the people who have played Ace Attorney, many of them would catch the references in his moveset, and would be over the moon with how faithful and creative his portrayal in Smash would be. For non-fans of Ace Attorney, they may laugh or get a kick out of various things, like his "Objection!" attack or just the fact that it's a lawyer fighting in the greatest gaming crossover of all time. Non-fans may also become interested in Ace Attorney based on how ridiculous Phoenix Wright would look and play, potentially increasing Ace Attorney's fan base. At worst, non-fans may simply remain as non-fans.

Overall, there would be salt directed at Phoenix Wright, but all newcomers seem to get some kind of salt no matter what. For Phoenix Wright, it could be anything from "I wish the Monster Hunter was added instead", to "I'm tired of these anime human characters", to even "I can't believe Vergeben leaked Phoenix Wright two days before the Direct, he ruins everything", plus more complaints. Nevertheless, the pure, emotional reactions will make the reveal worth it to those who actually care about Phoenix Wright joining Smash, overshadowing any negativity in the process.

Ironically, haters may also be the happiest people in their life if they get the character they wanted instead, and some of us Phoenix Wright fans may be the haters ourselves for not getting the character we wanted. Ultimately, it's a matter of how we handle our reactions to the characters; both positivity and negativity comes with the territory of character speculation. What truly matters is how much the positivity can outweigh the negativeity. For Phoenix Wright, there is plenty going for him in terms of a warm reception overall. I truly do think that the Ace Attorney series can get a new lease of life from Phoenix Wright's Smash inclusion, similar to the rising popularity of Dragon Quest and Fatal Fury. In my opinion, that's a win that no amount of salt could ever take away from us.

Flyboy

Smash Hero
Phoenix is a popular character both in and out of the Smash fandom. I feel like he would only be received positively outside of a few outliers.

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Things are getting intense with character picks like Ryu Hayabusa or Crash, so what if it could get worse ?
unfortunately theres not a character out there who wouldnt create some salt in the fandom itll be best just to try and ignore it

ill be very salty if crash gets in

ThunderSageNun

Nugatory
I imagine Phoenix would get a Joker-tier response more or less, generally positive with a few outliers whining he's an anime boy (minus the not deserving because no ties to Nintendo part because every AA has been on a Nintendo system, unlike Persona). And FWIW, most of the Capcom rep fans I've seen look fairly chill on who gets in, even if it's not directly their character of choice, whether it's Leon, Dante, Ammy, etc. I don't really care one way or another how fans react anyhow, most of the 3rd parties reveal only showed me how little the average Smash player with a social media account has played outside of Nintendo franchises and big western IPs like Doom or Crash.

Last edited:

DanganZilla5

Smash Champion
Writing Team
I agree that Phoenix would get a relatively positive reception.

I do want to talk about his competition though: Resident Evil rep, Amateratsu, Monster Hunter, and Dante for a Capcom spot. Let's break this down.

Resident Evil: This is probably Phoenix's biggest threat. Resident Evil is a giant series, one of the biggest and most iconic series not represented in Smash yet. However, what helps out Phoenix is that the biggest game doesn't always get in first. I legit thought that Steve would get in before Banjo as Minecraft is super popular and Steve would make Nintendo and Microsoft bank, yet here we are with Banjo in Smash and Steve not in sight. To be fair, Banjo was more requested and Resident Evil may have more requests (I don't have any data though)

Amataratsu: Okami and Okamiden sold a combined number of 2.7 million while the Ace Attorney series has sold 7.1 million(http://www.capcom.co.jp/ir/english/finance/salesdata.html). With more games and sales, Ace Attorney is bigger and probably more recognizable. Judging from what I've seen, Phoenix does have more fan demand, though Amateratsu is not far behind.

Monster Hunter: I'm skeptical on Monster Hunter, because Rathalos and 2 music tracks are already in, and while that doesn't in any way deconfirm Monster Hunter, it does hurt him quite a bit because the best way to represent Monster Hunter is with a monster, which is already in the game. I do have to give credit when needed and say Monster Hunter is probably bigger right now because MH World was a major success, becoming Capcom's current 2nd best selling game only behind Street Fighter 2 (https://vgsales.fandom.com/wiki/Best_selling_Capcom_games).

Dante: Pretty popular character who did the best on this poll (https://www.nintendoenthusiast.com/...smash-bros-ultimate-dlc-characters-by-region/). Although it is just one poll, it still shows how requested Dante is, and with more DLC coming, Nintendo could easily negotiate for him with his games now getting ported to the Switch. Phoenix does have the advantage of being more unique and fitting with the style of Smash more.

Overall, I do think Phoenix has a good shot of being in Smash. Here is a list of things going for him:
  • Long history with Nintendo dating back to 2001 on the GBA.
  • Still relevant with the trilogy port and a good possibility of a new game coming in the somewhat-near future.
  • A wacky character that would totally be a Sakurai pick as a out-of-left-field weird pick which he is known for doing.
  • Has moveset potential as shown in UMvC3.
  • Sakurai has talked with the Ace Attorney creators before (https://www.reddit.com/r/AceAttorne...ight_of_yesterdays_smash_announcement_takumi/).
  • Fairly popular and requested character
  • Fits with the Smash aesthetic and has plenty of spirit and music potential. Courtroom would be obvious stage choice.

ThunderSageNun

Nugatory
IMO, Phoenix main competition are Leon/Jill and Dante, I keep hearing thhe MH devs like to crossover with monsters and not the hunters themselves, so I'd say that's not likely to happen anymore despite being Capcom biggest modern juggernaut.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
IMO, Phoenix main competition are Leon/Jill and Dante, I keep hearing thhe MH devs like to crossover with monsters and not the hunters themselves, so I'd say that's not likely to happen anymore despite being Capcom biggest modern juggernaut.
id say theyre only competition if theyre all being considered at the same time

ThunderSageNun

Nugatory
id say theyre only competition if theyre all being considered at the same time
well, I'd say stuff like Amaterasu, Strider Hiryu, Arthur, Morrigan, etc. also classify as competition, being Capcom characters and all, I just wouldn't say they're likely in the slightest or any significant hurdle for Phoenix to overcome.

DanganZilla5

Smash Champion
Writing Team
well, I'd say stuff like Amaterasu, Strider Hiryu, Arthur, Morrigan, etc. also classify as competition, being Capcom characters and all, I just wouldn't say they're likely in the slightest or any significant hurdle for Phoenix to overcome.
You're right. I just didn't point them out because I see the five I've mentioned as the strongest contenders for Capcom reps. I do see Resident Evil maybe getting in first, but we could get two Capcom reps, depending on how many more DLC characters we get.

Call_Me_Red

Smash Journeyman
You're right. I just didn't point them out because I see the five I've mentioned as the strongest contenders for Capcom reps. I do see Resident Evil maybe getting in first, but we could get two Capcom reps, depending on how many more DLC characters we get.
Y'all are gunna feel real dumb when Viewtiful Joe Hits the Spotlight!

/s

Northadox

Smash Apprentice
Speaking of Mii Costumes...would be neat if we got a Sissel one to represent Ghost Trick.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
but thats based on the idea that sakurai goes looking for a capcom character rather than a character from a certain series and thus far its seems sakurai goes by series rather than companies

ThunderSageNun

Nugatory
but thats based on the idea that sakurai goes looking for a capcom character rather than a character from a certain series and thus far its seems sakurai goes by series rather than companies
probably something we'll only know through a famitsu interview, but there was that rumor of the Square 7 pre-Hero, which if true, does imply that characters from a company can compete for a slot and not just from a specific series. In the latters case, then yeah, Phoenix has no competition, he's the face of the series without question.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
probably something we'll only know through a famitsu interview, but there was that rumor of the Square 7 pre-Hero, which if true, does imply that characters from a company can compete for a slot and not just from a specific series. In the latters case, then yeah, Phoenix has no competition, he's the face of the series without question.
thats true we wouldnt know unless sakurai tells us

THE SLOTH

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-6683-7510-3712
tbh, I never understood the logic of some parts of the fandom that because they don't know the character or played their game(s), they didn't deserve their slot or they/their supporters are deserving of ridicule. If Wright gets in, of course he'll have his detractors and whiners, as every character does at some point, but I think he'll overall get a positive community reaction. I don't have a lot of experience with Capcom titles outside Mega Man or AA, so I can't comment any about Wright's competition within the company itself.

On another note, the most recent Mii costume wave was different from the previous two, as in it had no costumes tied to the series of the DLC fighter releasing with it. If Wright gets in, and assuming that trend continues when he's in, I really hope they look to the AA series for costumes. So many wacky and eccentric looking characters, it would be criminal to not make any of them into costumes. Steel Samurai Mii Swordfighter, anyone?

Call_Me_Red

Smash Journeyman
tbh, I never understood the logic of some parts of the fandom that because they don't know the character or played their game(s), they didn't deserve their slot or they/their supporters are deserving of ridicule. If Wright gets in, of course he'll have his detractors and whiners, as every character does at some point, but I think he'll overall get a positive community reaction. I don't have a lot of experience with Capcom titles outside Mega Man or AA, so I can't comment any about Wright's competition within the company itself.

On another note, the most recent Mii costume wave was different from the previous two, as in it had no costumes tied to the series of the DLC fighter releasing with it. If Wright gets in, and assuming that trend continues when he's in, I really hope they look to the AA series for costumes. So many wacky and eccentric looking characters, it would be criminal to not make any of them into costumes. Steel Samurai Mii Swordfighter, anyone?
Wendy Oldbag Mii Gunner, with her little blaster. That sounds adorable.

Hinata

Never forget, a believing heart is your magic.
Premium
Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797

Hit me with that Pearl Mii Brawler outfit.

Calamitas

Smash Champion
Hit me with that Pearl Mii Brawler outfit.
This is only slightly related, but god, I hate how frequent "Pearl" as a name has popped up in stuff I watch/play. My thoughts when I read the name there literally went like
  1. Steven Universe?
  2. Oh, or Splatoon?
  3. No wait, this is Ace Attorney.
  4. But there's also Pokémon character named Pearl. . .

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
This is only slightly related, but god, I hate how frequent "Pearl" as a name has popped up in stuff I watch/play. My thoughts when I read the name there literally went like
  1. Steven Universe?
  2. Oh, or Splatoon?
  3. No wait, this is Ace Attorney.
  4. But there's also Pokémon character named Pearl. . .
You think that's bad, there probably is an entire encyclopedia on the amount of times "garbage man" has been used as a villain's name.

JustMyself13

Smash Journeyman
Made some quick alts I'd like to see, also made ones that change his hair color. altcollage1.jpg althaircollage.jpg

Last edited:

Northadox

Smash Apprentice
Okay, I wanted to take a shot at this alts thing as well, but then I realized by editing skills blew. I tried anyways, giving Phoenix alts as Edgeworth, Mia, Godot, Apollo, Athena, and his college self and his hobo self.
phoenixalts.png

In retrospect, while these are like the biggest characters in the franchise (sans assistants, whom I will later cover for alternates for Maya) I think the colors could be a little better. I think I might prefer some of JustMyself13 JustMyself13 's alternates, like the Gumshoe and Larry ones, mainly for their colors. Plus, I really liked that Sissel alt that Phoenix had in UMvC3 and I wanted that too, but other alternates might have some precedence over it. Tune in later when I do some of Maya's alts...and maybe Edgeworth and Kay's!

KirbyMonadoBoy

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Shulkinator
Aw, I love 2-1 and 4-4! But yeah, subjective, that's what happens! I guess though it's *safe* to say that while I don't hate 2-3 it does seem to have the biggest consensus for worst in the first 4 games? Eh, we'll see! Maybe Mega Bidoof will hate uhh...3-2 or something!
Imo 4-3 is probably the weakest in terms of illogical contradictions and plot holes. From a gameplay perspective 4-3 is quite a lot of fun though and probably 2-1 is my least favourite, just because it is so unspectacular and short.

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
Okay, I wanted to take a shot at this alts thing as well, but then I realized by editing skills blew. I tried anyways, giving Phoenix alts as Edgeworth, Mia, Godot, Apollo, Athena, and his college self and his hobo self.

In retrospect, while these are like the biggest characters in the franchise (sans assistants, whom I will later cover for alternates for Maya) I think the colors could be a little better. I think I might prefer some of JustMyself13 JustMyself13 's alternates, like the Gumshoe and Larry ones, mainly for their colors. Plus, I really liked that Sissel alt that Phoenix had in UMvC3 and I wanted that too, but other alternates might have some precedence over it. Tune in later when I do some of Maya's alts...and maybe Edgeworth and Kay's!
Phoenix with Mia's colors looks really good.

ThunderSageNun

Nugatory

Sonsa

Smash Champion
maybe I got this wrong from the video, but AA influenced how the Smash reveals are directed? If so that's pretty cool, it probably doesn't mean much in his favors to get in, but P5 did inspire Ultimate menus and we got Joker down the line, so it certainly can't hurt.
It's not confirmed, but it's cool speculation!

Northadox

Smash Apprentice
Alright, Maya alts. These are based off the key female characters in the franchise. I'll let you guys determine who each alt is based off of.
mayaalts.png

Let's say that these alts can be selected individually from Wright's. Which colors would you main?

Last edited:

TheYungLink

Smash Lord
Alright, Maya alts. These are based off the key female characters in the franchise. I'll let you guys determine who each alt is based off of.

Let's say that these alts can be selected individually from Wright's. Which colors would you main?
I particularly like the Ema, Kay, and Lynne (Ghost Trick) alts.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend

These are all great, but the best part is referring to Maya as "burger girl".

(By the way who is the sixth alt referencing?)

Northadox

Smash Apprentice
These are all great, but the best part is referring to Maya as "burger girl".

(By the way who is the sixth alt referencing?)
I actually had Justine Courtney in mind while making that one. Might not be the best of picks but I like her.

Leotsune

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Leotsune
Y'know even if Phoenix gets cool alts, I'd probably just stick to the original.
I like playing the Capcom gang with their original colors.

GlitchWarrior

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
3540-4749-2681
(For some reason I stopped getting notified on this thread. I'ma just mark myself here to make sure the pings keep coming.)

Jomosensual

Smash Champion
(For some reason I stopped getting notified on this thread. I'ma just mark myself here to make sure the pings keep coming.)
I've been getting that on some threads too. IDK if I'm just in too many threads right now or what but I keep missing a few convos here and there

Top Bottom