• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

TAKE THAT! Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney smashes the prosecution!

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
Are we all in agreement here that the 3rd case (Turnabout Samurai) was the worst case in the OG Ace Attorney game?
Man that was a chore to go through, never mind the stupid ending
That's my favorite case in the first game.

Dukemon102

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-8185-5597-2987
So I've been thinking about making a Phoenix Wright support twitter for Smash Bros. specifically. If people have any ideas for the account, I am all ears.
As a suggestion, I would take the K. Rool account as the perfect model. They did everything they could to gather fans and spread that they wanted the crocodile in the game. They posted fan arts, fan remixes, concept arts and ideas of movesets, tried to get the opinions of people who worked on the original DKC games, the story of the character and why he should be in and even trailer ideas when those became popular.
They gathered all that because they asked fans all across the internet for material. So... that actually sounds like a lot of work for just one person.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
No, I mean after that game, he still looks younger than that of his hobo self.
He got a shave. That can make anyone look younger, take it from me (and I already look pretty young despite my age).

On a related note, regardless of the warts and all post-3, I really appreciate how the passage of time is actually tangible for a Capcom series. Especially compared to Street Fighter pretty much jumbling everything with its sliding timeline at this point.

Last edited:

ThunderSageNun

Nugatory
Are we all in agreement here that the 3rd case (Turnabout Samurai) was the worst case in the OG Ace Attorney game?
Nope, first case is the weakest by a pretty large margin, still far from bad though, just a little simple due to being the very first tutorial and all that. I'd say the 3rd cases of the 2nd and 3rd game are a whole lot worse.

NSSKG151

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Lucaruto151RedX
3DS FC
1092-1616-4089
Switch FC
SW-4128-7335-9024
I always considered Turnabout Big Top (Case 2-3) to be the worst due to everyone from the circus being unlikable and figuring out how the murder was committed being very confusing to logically think through.

Looma

Smash Journeyman
Turnabout Samurai was the lowest point in AA1 for me but I still enjoyed myself. (I do NOT enjoy talking to Sal Manella...)

As said above, Turnabout Big Top was rough man, I finished JFA for the first time a couple weeks ago and the performers were a headache all around. At least the case immediately after made everything worth it.

TemporalShrew

Smash Journeyman
Am I alone in sort of enjoying characters being a massive pain to deal with? Moe and Ben/Trilo are exceedingly annoying, and Sal is just every kind of creepy, but I don't come to Ace Attorney to meet folks I'd like to hang out with in real life, I come to Ace Attorney to interact with the most ludicrous, over-the-top caricatures of people possible and universally uncooperative witnesses. AA would be no fun if everyone was either a charismatic, conniving mastermind or a chill, friendly, mildly eccentric fella. I'd much rather characters be terrible or otherwise off-putting as people than boring as characters.

But this makes me curious, how do you folks feel about Oldbag? Because as a person to interact with, she's one of the most grating in the entire series, and I feel like most people (including myself) rather like her in a certain sort of way.

Last edited:

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982
I like Oldbag for the laughs. I think she is a gag character done right.

Samurai I like also. The only problem with it was the unnecessary third day. Turnabout Sisters is the worst case in the original, despite setting up a lot of set pieces and introducing the bulk of the cast. The culprit could have been final boss worthy, but instead they go down too easily and you do not get to do it either which kills the mood.

Flyboy

Smash Hero
I like Oldbag for the laughs. I think she is a gag character done right.

Samurai I like also. The only problem with it was the unnecessary third day. Turnabout Sisters is the worst case in the original, despite setting up a lot of set pieces and introducing the bulk of the cast. The culprit could have been final boss worthy, but instead they go down too easily and you do not get to do it either which kills the mood.
When I was replaying the whole series recently I was pretty surprised at how easily the culprit went down considering how much power he eventually was revealed to hold in the entire timeline. I think a lot of people gloss over his lore importance for that reason, which is a shame considering how memorable he was.

Sonsa

Smash Champion
People may consider 1-3 the lowest point also because it's pretty much the only case in the game that isn't personal? First case you defend Larry, second case of course, 4th case of course, and while you fight Edgeworth in the 3rd case and he seems to maybe start turning around, it is a lot of Oldbag and this kid sneakin into the studio and this TV show Phoenix hasn't even seen, yknow. I don't mind it, I like Oldbag too and for being such a short and rare loop "The Light and Shadows of the Film Studio" is one of my favorite Reminiscence themes!

I used to say my least favorite was 2-3 cause I ain't into the circus atmosphere, the circus music was...fitting and good job and all, but haunting, and I don't like the clown at all really, and two adult men are fighting to marry a 16 year old who seems even more childish than Pearl auuugh... But! At least that case has Maya and Franziska and the Judge has this big drama with the clown so it really ain't all bad!

I guess my real least favorite is mmm... Maybe the first case of Spirit of Justice, 6-1? It's a very lonely and slow first case? It's a tutorial that has to teach you about the dance thing and set up how this new country hates you and all, but you already know who the killer is and there's no Maya or Apollo or Trucy or Athena, it's just Phoenix (who I love) alone in a new environment I don't really like with music in a different style to the usual Ace Attorney stuff I love, and it felt really long? I dunno, maybe it wasn't so bad, and I don't even "hate" it, I just think it was a pretty boring intro to a game I liked, the next case 6-2 is one of my favs! And 6-3 impressed me, 6-4 was cool, 6-5 really got me, and the DLC case was super lovely! This first case just... y'know it probably felt even more like a chore cause I was like "Where's MAYA" but honestly after waiting to revisit the world I was missing a lot of characters, so to just get Phoenix (who I love!!) made me feel pretty alienated from the rest of the world while I was busy catching someone I already knew did it, I guess? And first cases can be great too, it's not just that tutorial cases are cursed and have to be this way! Dual Destinies is the next weakest, but the other 4 are really great, Apollo's being one of the best cases in the series in myyy opinion which is very impressive for being its first case!

Last edited:

Dukemon102

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-8185-5597-2987
I liked 1-3 a ton more than the previous case. It was the first time Phoenix and Maya worked as a team and I liked the plot twist and the intentionally annoying characters. Also Edgey showed he isn't as bad as we thought.
Many people like to rank the "filler" cases as the worst ones.
I don't think that being filler is bad. The T&T filler cases are probably some of the most memorable cases in the series with great characters. I think it depends on personal tastes.

And for all the flack that people give to Yamazaki's games. I like how he always tries to move the plot forward with all the cases (Except 6-4), the third case always being the one where the thematic problem (Edgeworth's life choices, the Dark Age of the Law and K'urain Law System) shows its worst face.

Last edited:

Arctiq

Smash Journeyman
Also, for me, the anime fixes a lot of the cases. It removes a bit of extraneous filler while adding in their own flair, like Turnabout Big Top for example. It does things that an anime adaptation should (looking at you P5A). Not to mention that new case on the train is so good. Going back to Smash for a second, I hope they hire the animators to do the trailer. I think it would be a nice change of pace.

Last edited:

Sonsa

Smash Champion
Oh! I feel dumb for just realizing now, but another good trailer opportunity is a TGS presentation-styled courtroom hangout with Phoenix being like "Hey guys. Sooo what are we doing here again?" and everybody arguing why Phoenix has to go fight!

At first just Edgeworth arguing how Phoenix has taken down multiple fearsome foes and Phoenix being like "Yeah, but not by FORCE" then Godot being like "Run headfirst into danger, that's one of my rules..." and Phoenix being like "Your honor, please overrule them..." but the judge going "They make good points..." Then Maya's like "C'mon, I'll even help you out, it'll be fun!" and Phoenix is getting real pressured "Is anyone on my side??? Who do you even want me to fight so bad???"

Then Edgeworth finally presents the decisive evidence, the Smash invitation, which gets Phoenix real confused "Huh???" Godot goes "Go on Trite, do us proud!" and Franziska chimes in "Or entertain us regardless, what with your foolish floundering about" Phoenix again "Huh??? Huh???" and Maya building up "Oh, here it comes! This'll be great practice for the battlefield!" and then of course, the splash screen zooms in on Phoenix, begins with "Phoenix Wright" but before the tagline can come out Phoenix tries to stop it and fight back against aaall of what just happened with a big "OBJECTION!!!"

ThunderSageNun

Nugatory
"finally, a Capcom rep I care about" or something among those lines, I'd feel on quite the streak considering I expected nothing out of this fighters pass after the final Ultimate direct yet I got like 3 of my most wanted fighters in.

JustMyself13

Smash Journeyman
Hey, seriously, what would be everybody's thoughts if he was fighter 5?
Phoenix has been my never-ever since the announcement of 4, so suffice to say if we get Joker’s trailer again at TGA but it pans out to reveal the video is actually being played in the courtroom, I’d get a bit emotional. I would be the happiest I’ve ever been when it comes to Smash announcements since PAC-MAN, my other most-wanted from the time.

Flyboy

Smash Hero
I don't even know how I'd react.

Ace Attorney is one of the most important series' ever to me. It taught me how to write. It got me through high school. It introduced me to some of my best friends and all of my romantic partners (which is something I only just realized - that's weird but cool!). Phoenix in Smash has been a dream since just before Smash 4. Joker's reveal had me screaming so loud I was afraid the cops would break down my door, so excited I blacked out briefly and skinned my knee.

Phoenix....I don't even know. I'd probably just break down and cry.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
I don't even know how I'd react.

Ace Attorney is one of the most important series' ever to me. It taught me how to write. It got me through high school. It introduced me to some of my best friends and all of my romantic partners (which is something I only just realized - that's weird but cool!). Phoenix in Smash has been a dream since just before Smash 4. Joker's reveal had me screaming so loud I was afraid the cops would break down my door, so excited I blacked out briefly and skinned my knee.

Phoenix....I don't even know. I'd probably just break down and cry.
Well, here's hoping you don't black out and hurt yourself this time!

Dukemon102

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-8185-5597-2987
If he was announced, I would probably have the same reaction as Ridley, K. Rool and Banjo.
I would scream so loudly that people would think I'm getting hurt badly.
Then I would watch the trailer over and over again to process that is actually real, fanboy over the lore references and listen to the new remix, and after cooling out, I would analyze the moveset.

And I'm actually expecting the trailer to start with sprites or the 3DS engine like Isabelle or Terry. Sakurai said they are running out of budget so I don't think we will see an expensive anime cutscene for Nick sadly (I would be glad to be proven wrong).

Last edited:

Handy Man

Smash Ace
Nothing will ever eclipse my reaction to King K. Rool, but Phoenix Wright would definitely be a close second in terms of sheer hype for me. The Ace Attorney series is one of my favorite series of all time, moreso than most games represented in Smash. I have played through every game in the series except for Dai Gyakuten Saiban 2, and Phoenix Wright himself is my favorite character overall in Ace Attorney. I love how he always tackles on the next challenge, no matter how unsure he is, and the undying faith he has in his job, friends, and clients is really admirable. The writing is also fantastic, and presenting the right evidence in court and uncovering the truth always feels satisfying.

It also feels pretty great when you are a fan of a game like Castlevania or Dragon Quest, and you recognize stuff like Richter Belmont or the other Dragon Quest heroes immediately upon their Smash debut. Unfortunately, I haven't played either of those series, and the same could be said for the rest of the newcomer franchises in Ultimate, except for Banjo-Kazooie. This is where Ace Attorney could really shine for me; I would be over the moon with all of the little references in his trailer. From recognizing the step ladder or ladder Up B from the running gag in his games, to calling out other potential characters making cameos in the courtroom stage like Franziska von Karma or Godot, it would feel very rewarding as a fan to notice and appreciate all of the little references that could be shown in Phoenix Wright's trailer.

Overall, my hype would be very high. Epic music, callbacks and references, and Phoenix Wright himself, there aren't many other franchises that would give me such a rush of adrenaline for being included in Smash. If Phoenix Wright is not character five, it would be alright, since he still has a chance outside of the fighters pass. But him potentially being announced at The Game Awards to book end the fighters pass would make me go ballistic, especially since I plan on attending The Game Awards in person this year.

Sonsa

Smash Champion
If he was number 5? I can't even wrap my head around that, Ace Attorney has felt so...sidelined to me recentlyish, no TGS panel, not getting into MvCi, not even getting into Teppen, a lot of sad little things... if Phoenix had the honor of being the grand finale for this pass, with stage, with music, on top of getting in at all, I just don't think I'd be able to process it for a little bit. I guess I'd cry? I'd be very grateful! But I think initially I'd just be either really confused or like "Oh, finally, yay haha" and not have it HIT me till later? Pwsh, I don't know, I've teared up multiple times just imagining the possibility.

And then I'd be like...immediately overwhelmed... wanna celebrate and brag to friends, wanna watch reaction videos, wanna share my feelings, wanna rewatch the trailer or whatever we get over and over, wanna see if there's any interview with Shu Takumi or Capcom regarding it, so much...

My reaction to Phoenix in UMvC3 was...well very happy, he was leaked but I shared the Cadenza Won the Case remix with buds and just let out a sigh of relief, and waited for his trailer! When his trailer actually dropped I was initially weirded out since he never had a voice before, was never in 3D before, never made the Hulk trip over from investigating before...they also decided to make jumpy stilted animation a thing for him for some reason sometimes? (The way his mouth opens and closes in his Level 3 or how Maya teleports around when they win) I think I was worried if he made a good impression on people who didn't know him yet, I want the series to be successful and more people to get into it, but very quick after I was like "No yeah that's a pretty perfect voice for him! And he looks really fun and cool!"

I would honestly be wondering if the public thought Phoenix was cool or interesting and be a bit worried about that...ugh, I'm rambling a lot again...

Long story short: I'm pretty sure it would take a bit for me to process what was happening! And I might cry too!

I record my reactions so hey if he happens I guess I'll share here haha

Caladuz

Smash Apprentice
I don't know if I could even begin to explain the feeling. I've been wanting it for so long, him coming when it seems bleakest, would be absolutely perfect. I'd imagine I would be spending a lot of time just watching reaction videos and celebrating with friends/family. And when he does come, I'd finally have someone that would be a new main. Which is quite the feat as I've only ever had one since melee.

So I'm hoping he doesnt get leaked as it would make it that much sweeter.

Last edited:

JustMyself13

Smash Journeyman
Wouldn’t it be cool if Phoenix’s spirit board was fashioned after the court record, with the boxes all being filled by little spirits?
D00615B9-1461-4CB5-8054-6415F7266450.jpeg

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
I'd be hyped beyond belief if he was, he's definitely one of my most wanted characters for Smash.
While I'm happy with the reveal streaks so far and to see so many fans happy for their most wanted characters finally making it in, I have yet to get a character that really resonates with me since Toon Link all the way back in Brawl (closest thing is them redesigning Zelda to her ALttP/ALbW design), so seeing Phoenix and Layton would definitely bring me over the moon more than anything!

Last edited:

THE SLOTH

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-6683-7510-3712
That'd be pretty dang hype, if everyone else who's responded to this already haven't made that clear. I think even if he's not #5, he could get in, but him getting that last slot in the initial fighter's pass would be amazing. I've played every main series entry and a couple of the spin-offs, I went into the series without any real expectations but was blown away but some of it's stronger moments, and while no game after T&T has exactly dethroned it, I love all of them for different reasons, whether it be the characters, fun/funny cases, powerful music, or just some incredibly memorable moments.

An Undertale rep was, for the longest time, my top "this definitely won't happen but it would be awesome" pick, with Wright being my top "realistic" pick. After the last direct, it feels like it's no longer "if", but "when" Wright's getting into Smash as a Mii Costume. And when it does, being able to watch that trailer, notice all the little intricacies, references, and care that went into making his set is going to be so satisfying to see, and eventually play!

Top Bottom