• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

TAKE THAT! Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney smashes the prosecution!

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982
For Namco, I actually think Dark Souls is next.

Sonsa

Smash Champion
I always find it so interesting when people suggest one of Phoenix's moves include murder weapons from the series... I got a comment on my concept video that literally said "I want him to hit people with murder weapons like the thinker and the spear" Like, I get wanting those referenced, I guess, having Phoenix throw them as miscellaneous evidence as a quick easter egg, that's fine, but to deliberately want him to use it the same way murderers in the series have, like as a smash attack or something, is so brutal and out of character... I just don't understand

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982
I always find it so interesting when people suggest one of Phoenix's moves include murder weapons from the series... I got a comment on my concept video that literally said "I want him to hit people with murder weapons like the thinker and the spear" Like, I get wanting those referenced, I guess, having Phoenix throw them as miscellaneous evidence as a quick easter egg, that's fine, but to deliberately want him to use it the same way murderers in the series have, like as a smash attack or something, is so brutal and out of character... I just don't understand
Him using the murder weapons make no sense. It would actually make more sense for him to pocket moves ala Villager than that - to use it as evidence.

I think if they use evidence, they should just have pieces of evidence spawn on the stage randomly. They aren't throwable items, but merely pick-up items. If the opponent picks up evidence, then you need to get it back by hitting it off them. Kind of like the Dragoon/Daybreaker pieces. Once you collect the 3-4 pieces of evidence you need, you enter turnabout mode: you have 10 seconds to unleash your objection..or in Smash lingo, 10 seconds to setup your combo. Yes - I'd actually make it a move that allows for easy strings rather than sheer power. I think that's an unique take on this concept, and it fits the series well as Phoenix tends to slowly unleash his contradictions. I'd do this by having turnabout mode decrease the end lag on his moves.

How high do you think are Solaire's chances? I don't think the fans would take the local avatar getting in over him too well.
Solaire did get an amiibo. I think he's the poster boy of the series, despite not being the main character. Kind of like Sans.

Last edited:

Weeman

Smash Crusader
The spear doesn't even have to reference the murder weapons specifically, it could just be the Steel Samurai spear lol

Arctiq

Smash Journeyman
Him using the murder weapons make no sense. It would actually make more sense for him to pocket moves ala Villager than that - to use it as evidence.

I think if they use evidence, they should just have pieces of evidence spawn on the stage randomly. They aren't throwable items, but merely pick-up items. If the opponent picks up evidence, then you need to get it back by hitting it off them. Kind of like the Dragoon/Daybreaker pieces. Once you collect the 3-4 pieces of evidence you need, you enter turnabout mode: you have 10 seconds to unleash your objection..or in Smash lingo, 10 seconds to setup your combo. Yes - I'd actually make it a move that allows for easy strings rather than sheer power. I think that's an unique take on this concept, and it fits the series well as Phoenix tends to slowly unleash his contradictions. I'd do this by having turnabout mode decrease the end lag on his moves.
His neutral B could literally just be him throwing evidence. Different evidence pieces could have different effects similar to pikmin. Like The Thinker can bust through shields, or throwing the urn (maybe headpiece?) can spike enemies.

Dukemon102

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-8185-5597-2987
Well. Phoenix Wright picking up, storing and throwing the evidence comes straight from UMvC3. Even more points if it comes with RNG.

I know some people would prefer that Sakurai's team could design a completely original moveset. But some inspiration is inevitable.

Last edited:

ThunderSageNun

Nugatory
I think this depends on weapon to weapon basis, like outright having Phoenix shoot a gun or stab someone with a knife would be pretty out there (to say the least), but a silly attack that references the Silver Samurai (or whichever other hero of the day you want to go with) feels more like a silly jab at the obsession of the AA world over such series than neccesary turnabout samurai
besides that that spear didn't kill anyone at the end of the day. I'll give you the thinker statue is iffy given that's what also killed Phoenix's mentor though
The Souls series definitely had a lot of buzz over the last decade, and it's not like the series had no appearance on Nintendo systems for that to be a problem (as if that mattered post Cloud and Joker), but I do wonder if Smash playstyle kinda goes against a lot of the basics in those games, how you're generally more slugish and vulnerable to make players a little less trigger happy when tackling situations. Not like that can't be changed, Sakurai and co have taken liberties when adapting characters from less flashy series, but it'd be something to see a character from those games move around a lot more fast in general. But at this point I wouldn't be surprised if Bamco has Pac-Man alone and nothing else.

Arctiq

Smash Journeyman
The Souls series definitely had a lot of buzz over the last decade, and it's not like the series had no appearance on Nintendo systems for that to be a problem (as if that mattered post Cloud and Joker), but I do wonder if Smash playstyle kinda goes against a lot of the basics in those games, how you're generally more slugish and vulnerable to make players a little less trigger happy when tackling situations. Not like that can't be changed, Sakurai and co have taken liberties when adapting characters from less flashy series, but it'd be something to see a character from those games move around a lot more fast in general. But at this point I wouldn't be surprised if Bamco has Pac-Man alone and nothing else.
If we want to go into soulsborne territory, I think the player character from Bloodborne would work really well in smash. Especially because of the morphing weapons.

But going back to Nick, what spirits would y'all want added? Here's my list:
-Maya
-Mia (of course)
-Larry Butz
-Gumshoe
-Edgeworth
-Franziska Von Karma
-Max Galactica
-Lotta Hart
-Redd White
-Ron Delite
I forget how many spirits are added with each DLC pack.

Last edited:

ThunderSageNun

Nugatory
If we want to go into soulsborne territory, I think the player character from Bloodborne would work really well in smash. Especially because of the morphing weapons.
Isn't that owned by Sony? With their attitude regarding crossplay, I can't imagine them being cool at all lending their IPs to rival companies.
Anyhow, what's a likely victory fanfare for Phoenix? With how the case closed theme changes in every game, I can't imagine it being that.

Arctiq

Smash Journeyman
Isn't that owned by Sony? With their attitude regarding crossplay, I can't imagine them being cool at all lending their IPs to rival companies.
Even then, I can't imagine Sony being vitriolic enough to deny 'free' advertisement

Last edited:

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
This may sound out of the blue, but hear me out. As an Ace Attorney fan myself, I was wondering if I can get some assistance from you fellow fans, maybe you too Wyoming Wyoming . This is concerning the Famicom Detective Club announcement last week.

We need some help pushing Operation Tachibana, like an alliance since we both like the same genre of games. A Twitter is made, also a petition, and a detailed video explaining said movement will be released tomorrow. WE do not expect much, but some of you to support us and maybe spread the word to other fans of Ace Attorney since they may be interested in the FDC remakes being localized.

Famicom Detective Club is what paved the way for adventure games like Ace Attorney and countless other VNs for years to come. So I was thinking some extra push from fellow fans of the genre for this movement could help. Our main goal is to try and convince Nintendo to have the FDC remake localized.

Of course I do not want to get in the way of anyone wanting Phoenix in Smash, we would not want that. Just a little few small favors that could help another fellow adventure series being in the limelight internationally again. I am sure we would had felt the same had Capcom never localized Ace Attorney to begin with. The choice is yours. Us Ayumi fans are just proposing a friendly deal.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend

But going back to Nick, what spirits would y'all want added? Here's my list:
-Maya
-Mia (of course)
-Larry Butz
-Gumshoe
-Edgeworth
-Franziska Von Karma
-Max Galactica
-Lotta Hart
-Redd White
-Ron Delite
I forget how many spirits are added with each DLC pack.
When fighter spirits are set aside, I'd say there's roughly around 10 per character so far (aside "bonus" :ultpiranha:), so I'd say it's limited in scope. You're pretty close though.

As for me, assuming that Phoenix and Maya already work as a team, I'd include Mia, Gumshoe, Edgeworth, Pearl, Franziska, Godot, Emma Skye, Apollo and the stepladder.

Last edited:

ThunderSageNun

Nugatory
I'd remove Max, Lotta, Redd, Ron and maybe Larry in favor of the Judge, Manfred, Apollo, and Athena maybe Klavier, Trucy, Kay and Blackquill depending on how many spirits battles they're willing to give a DLC. Also as far as recurring minor characters go, I'd say Oldbag makes more sense than Lotta.

Arctiq

Smash Journeyman
I'd remove Max, Lotta, Redd, Ron and maybe Larry in favor of the Judge, Manfred, Apollo, and Athena maybe Klavier, Trucy, Kay and Blackquill depending on how many spirits battles they're willing to give a DLC. Also as far as recurring minor characters go, I'd say Oldbag makes more sense than Lotta.
I added spirits that would be represented well as fighters. Lotta could be Daisy that uses the Fatal Frame AT. Unsure about Redd though, we could replace him with Judge. I was thinking Ron could be Joker, but I dunno if they ever use DLC fighters as spirits. Also Max could be a purple Inceneroar that has a high jump.

Last edited:

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982
Larry has the perfect character to represent him: orange Luigi that favours dash attacks.

I also think he is important enough to warrant a spirit. Not that it matters with what we got from DQ and Banjo.

As for the Ayumi Tachibana poster, I will try to respond properly when I get back from work.

Dukemon102

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-8185-5597-2987
Capcom so far has been very cooperative. So I think Ace Attorney could receive the same or even more spirits than Persona.

Here's the Spirit Board that I'm imagining (Excluding Maya because she might be included with the Phoenix spirit):

Pearl:
Main fighter: Isabelle (Pink)
Supporting fighters: Phoenix.
Main fighter favours dash attack, Phoenix favours side B (Which I think would be presenting the Magatama)
Stage: Suzaku Castle
Can be enhanced to Teenager Pearl.

Larry:
Main fighter: Luigi (Orange)
Main fighter likes to avoid combat
Stage: Wrecking Crew

Trucy:
Main fighter: Daisy (Blue)
Supporting fighters: King K. Rool (Blue)
Main fighter favours Down B
Stage: Tomodachi Life

Charlie the Plant:
Main fighter: Piranha Plant
Supporting fighters: Villager (Female Blue)
Supporting fighter favours Down B
Stage: Tomodachi Life

Matt Engarde:
Main fighter: Wario (Red Biker)
Supporting fighters: Joker
Main fighter likes to avoid combat, defeat main fighter to win.
Stage: Courtroom

Dahlia Hawthorne:
Main fighter: Peach (Red and White)
Supporting fighters: Donkey Kong (White)
Main fighter favours Up B
Your character has the flower status
Stage: Wuhu Island (Bridge Section)

Franziska Von Karma:
Main fighter: Zero Suit Samus (White)
Main fighter favours Side B
Items like guns, bombs or swords drop often.

Apollo Justice:
Main fighter: Roy (Red)
Supporting fighter: Rosalina & Luma (Yellow and they make Luma start as Blue), Phoenix Wright (Appears after 20 seconds)
Beat the main fighter to win

Manfred Von Karma:
Main fighter: Ganondorf (White)
Earthquakes happen often, also Ray Guns spawn.

Mia Fey (T&T):
Main fighter: Palutena (Black)
Supporting fighters: Dedede, Phoenix Wright (Godot alt)
Can be enhanced to Mia (AA1) (Legend Class)

Miles Edgeworth (Legend Class):
Main fighter: Phoenix Wright (Edgeworth-based color)
Supporting fighters: Zelda (Twilight Princess alt), Donkey Kong (Green) and Wolf (Black / Red costume)
Stage: Saffron City (Battlefield)
Defeat all the supporting fighters to make the main fighter appear.

Last edited:

KirbyMonadoBoy

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Shulkinator
Oh yeah, AA-Spirits could be so fun!

If I had to choose 10 and come up with an individual list on my own:

- Apollo (Shulk) [Red clothes, constantly shouting "I'm fine / really feeling it]
- Athena (Wii-Fit) [Female, yellow clothes, both love sports]
- Young Edgeworth (Hero) [Purple cothes, enhanceble into adult Edgeworth]
- Larry (Larry) [How can it be anyone else? Even the personality fits perfectly!]
- Maya (Zelda) [Purple clothes, spirit/phantom channeling, magic usage]
- Mia (Rosalina & Luma) [Black Outfit, guardian of justice]
- Klavier (Terry) [Hair, style]
- Franziska (Zero Suit Samus) [White, whip]
- Trucy (Villager) [Female, letting stuff vanish by pocketing it]
- Oldbag (Wendy) [Name, and both are probably equally annoying, haha]
- Judge (Mr. Game & Watch) [Favours Side-Specials, Judge-Hammer!]

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
i may be misunderstanding it, but are they suing them over the concept of dlc?
Yeah, seems like a very bull**** patent. Not very familiar with how trademark law works over there, but it's telling how they asked for over 9 million and settled for 1.3.

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
This may sound out of the blue, but hear me out. As an Ace Attorney fan myself, I was wondering if I can get some assistance from you fellow fans, maybe you too Wyoming Wyoming . This is concerning the Famicom Detective Club announcement last week.

We need some help pushing Operation Tachibana, like an alliance since we both like the same genre of games. A Twitter is made, also a petition, and a detailed video explaining said movement will be released tomorrow. WE do not expect much, but some of you to support us and maybe spread the word to other fans of Ace Attorney since they may be interested in the FDC remakes being localized.

Famicom Detective Club is what paved the way for adventure games like Ace Attorney and countless other VNs for years to come. So I was thinking some extra push from fellow fans of the genre for this movement could help. Our main goal is to try and convince Nintendo to have the FDC remake localized.

Of course I do not want to get in the way of anyone wanting Phoenix in Smash, we would not want that. Just a little few small favors that could help another fellow adventure series being in the limelight internationally again. I am sure we would had felt the same had Capcom never localized Ace Attorney to begin with. The choice is yours. Us Ayumi fans are just proposing a friendly deal.
Wait... there's a Famicom detective club remake coming?

20180726_172622.png

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Yeah, seems like a very bull**** patent. Not very familiar with how trademark law works over there, but it's telling how they asked for over 9 million and settled for 1.3.
geez the way they do dlc im not sure this is a glass house they should be throwing stones in

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
No, what's that about?
Long story short, Fighter's History came at the wake of Street Fighter II's success, and Capcom tried to sue Data East for it. They failed.

geez the way they do dlc im not sure this is a glass house they should be throwing stones in
Seeing how many costumes KT charged people for in DOA games, some people could call it karma for them.

Last edited:

3BitSaurus

Smash Master

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982
So I've been thinking about making a Phoenix Wright support twitter for Smash Bros. specifically. If people have any ideas for the account, I am all ears.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
So I've been thinking about making a Phoenix Wright support twitter for Smash Bros. specifically. If people have any ideas for the account, I am all ears.
constantly post pictures of ladders asking if it a step ladder or not, iconic moments and the games and top music choices

Korar

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW-5170-5706-7228
M E M E S
In all seriousness, i think frequent twitter polls asking about things we would want related to phoenix in smash.

Brindor

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2939-3197-6187
Are we all in agreement here that the 3rd case (Turnabout Samurai) was the worst case in the OG Ace Attorney game?
Man that was a chore to go through, never mind the stupid ending

Arctiq

Smash Journeyman
Are we all in agreement here that the 3rd case (Turnabout Samurai) was the worst case in the OG Ace Attorney game?
I thought it was fine, and the twist was a nice surprise.

Korar

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW-5170-5706-7228
I thought the case was okay, certainly not my favorite but it ain't terrible.

Flyboy

Smash Hero
I'm too old and have been doing this for far too long to argue about what cases are good or bad. I like them all, generally speaking, and some I love. I have overall a ton of problems with SoJ but those run deeper than just the cases.

Turnabout Samurai was great, anyway.

Top Bottom