• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

TAKE THAT! Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney smashes the prosecution!

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
I meant as in why would Square have 2 DLC reps this time around (for this pass more specifically).
is there reason why they wouldnt? really it comes down to the franchise theyre from rather than the company that owns them, really the question should be why do konami, sega and capcom get 3 characters, sqaure get 2 and namco bandai and microsoft get 1?

Arctiq

Smash Journeyman
IMO, Nick's moveset feels like it would be simple compared to UMVC3 or the other fan movesets I've seen. There should be a lot of fan service like the ladder or the metal detector, but I think they should focus on one central mechanic of the games and relegate the support roles to taunts and victory screens.

Calamitas

Smash Champion
So, inspired by Sonsa and other people crafting movesets, I decided to make my own Phoenix moveset, in the form of an image. I spent like three hours on this, help me.
A few things to address:
1) This moveset serves to be as fanservice-y as possible, which may make it feel a bit too bloated. The projectile types of Phoenix's neutral special could be lessened, or only Maya could appear from his Down Special/taunts/victory animations.
2) Evidence is a gimmick that I'd love Nick to have, but I'm not sure about its balance and its mechanics. The idea is that you're encouraged to both expend and save evidence for the stat boosts and for their versatility as projectiles, but you can't hold onto them too long so it's best to use them...decisions players would have to make, I suppose. It's supposed to emulate his UMvC3 gimmick without there being investigation/trial/turnabout modes.
3) The moveset, while simultaneously fanservice-y, hits the same notes that Pac-Man and Cloud do with their movesets, so I'm worried it may seem unoriginal in some aspects.
4) All of his moves didn't need names but I did it anyway. Some of them might be too tacky.
5) Maya/Trucy/Ema would also get alt colors with Nick's various palette swaps! Which reinforces point #1, because that'd be a lot of palettes for one character.
6) Speaking of pallettes, I didn't come up with a select 7 for Nick. I was thinking like Default/Edgeworth/Godot/Young/Older/Athena/Apollo/Hobo but you'd be missing out on a lot of character representation...though I really like some of the alternate costumes.
7) Psyche-Locks. Besides a grab, I was thinking they could be their own mechanic - like, deal enough % post-grab, and they'd break and send opponents flying, but that might be just another layer onto this already complex character.
8) Echo Fighters and the Down Special. I was thinking that Edgeworth would instead have a trio of his own assistants - Franziska, Kay, and Gumshoe, but that'd make him more like an Isabelle type clone instead of a full on echo-fighter. Ema and Maya don't work too well for Polly, either.
9) Just realized I forgot the Final Smash. I talked about it here before but I'd want something like Though Route, considering it's often the coup de grace in newer Ace Attorney games.
This is an excellent concept! Though if I do have a criticism, it's that the image is not very well structured and a bit hard to follow. It would've been better if this was somehow more clearly ordered.

Northadox

Smash Apprentice
This is an excellent concept! Though if I do have a criticism, it's that the image is not very well structured and a bit hard to follow. It would've been better if this was somehow more clearly ordered.
Image organization isn't my strong suit - I probably chose font sizes that were way too big and I had WAY too much info I wanted to cram into it.
In lieu of this, have a text-only, more organized version with some additional information such as alts (not only for him, but the assistants, too), his stage entrance, idle animations, etc.
https://pastebin.com/D7g4eKU0

Last edited:

Fry Rice

Smash Rookie
is there reason why they wouldnt? really it comes down to the franchise theyre from rather than the company that owns them, really the question should be why do konami, sega and capcom get 3 characters, sqaure get 2 and namco bandai and microsoft get 1?
I guess I'd say it lessens the window of opportunities for another company to represent any of their franchises in Smash. Not saying it's not fair per say but if we are only getting two more characters and no more DLC after that and if say Square fills the rest of the slots... well... it's a bit much...

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
I guess I'd say it lessens the window of opportunities for another company to represent any of their franchises in Smash. Not saying it's not fair per say but if we are only getting two more characters and no more DLC after that and if say Square fills the rest of the slots... well... it's a bit much...
i agree it seems unlikely there be another se character in the fighter pass, but i also feel we fans over think things and that the smash team break conventions all the time

Northadox

Smash Apprentice

Another Nick moveset!
Comparing it to mine, I like that the alts are more concise and make more sense - I just kinda threw some crap at the wall. Plus, it details an Apollo echo! Although it's not spoiler-free, so beware.

Last edited:

Leotsune

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Leotsune

Another Nick moveset!
Comparing it to mine, I like that the alts are more concise and make more sense - I just kinda threw some crap at the wall. Plus, it details an Apollo echo! Although it's not spoiler-free, so beware.
I'll watch the video later but I just wanna point out that Edgeworth is, im my opinion, the best possible choice for an echo, I don't know how to describe it, but he is like the other side of the coin, the one who stands at the other side of the courtroom, the rival and friend of Phoenix, kinda like Ken is to Ryu.
Polly just doesn't have that weight, if somebody can tell why choose Apollo over Edgeworth please enlighten me!

KillerCage

Smash Master
I'll watch the video later but I just wanna point out that Edgeworth is, im my opinion, the best possible choice for an echo, I don't know how to describe it, but he is like the other side of the coin, the one who stands at the other side of the courtroom, the rival and friend of Phoenix, kinda like Ken is to Ryu.
Polly just doesn't have that weight, if somebody can tell why choose Apollo over Edgeworth please enlighten me!
If he chose Edgeworth to be the Echo Fighter, then his partner would have to be Kay Faraday. The problem is that choosing Edgeworth would tonally clash with the standard attacks. The only Echo Fighters that had major changes to their were Dark Pit, Chrom, and Ken and that was for specials, Final Smashs, and running speed in the case of Ken. I can't imagine Miles sneezing to spike people or plat falling into a slide; it would feel out of character for him.

Leotsune

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Leotsune
If he chose Edgeworth to be the Echo Fighter, then his partner would have to be Kay Faraday. The problem is that choosing Edgeworth would tonally clash with the standard attacks. The only Echo Fighters that had major changes to their were Dark Pit, Chrom, and Ken and that was for specials, Final Smashs, and running speed in the case of Ken. I can't imagine Miles sneezing to spike people or plat falling into a slide; it would feel out of character for him.
Oh right, you make you make a good point.
Assuming Phoenix's moveset make use of some clumsy animations, I do agree Edgeworth would be a bit out of character.

Sonsa

Smash Champion
Yeah, Edgeworth is definitely Phoenix's rival, definitely the Ken to Phoenix's Ryu, but Phoenix and Apollo are just so much more similar and would require less work to echo, while also representing the newer games while Edgeworth represents the same time as Phoenix but also his spin-offs? Yeah, you can just give spotlight to the newer games with some spirits, but again the main thing is that Edgeworth needs more changes, more confident and elegant animations while Nick would have nervous and spontaneous ones by comparison! That's really the biggest thing, yeah

Calamitas

Smash Champion
Just call him Phoenix' boyfriend. That'll describe it well enough.

Oh right, you make you make a good point.
Assuming Phoenix's moveset make use of some clumsy animations, I do agree Edgeworth would be a bit out of character.
I agree that it would be out of character, but it would also be absolutely hilarious. Come to think of it - if Edgeworth does somehow make it in, be it as a semi-clone or echo, there needs to be something in his moveset that clearly references the Steel Samurai.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Hmmmm i'm curious about his VAS; who you think they'd choose for Smash?
I think they would probably just go for the ones from DD and SoJ. Those are the official ones going forward, Capcom would probably try to ensure that they get the job in Smash for continuity, and unless Sakurai is that big a fan of the Takumi games or that much of a purist, I think he'll concede. If he is, I could see him getting Ben Judd and Takumi to voice Nick.

Though it would be weird seeing Original Trilogy Nick speaking with new Nick's voice. Everyone agrees we would get the Original Trilogy design, right?

Korar

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW-5170-5706-7228
I think they would probably just go for the ones from DD and SoJ. Those are the official ones going forward, Capcom would probably try to ensure that they get the job in Smash for continuity, and unless Sakurai is that big a fan of the Takumi games or that much of a purist, I think he'll concede. If he is, I could see him getting Ben Judd and Takumi to voice Nick.

Though it would be weird seeing Original Trilogy Nick speaking with new Nick's voice. Everyone agrees we would get the Original Trilogy design, right?
I think original trilogy would be his default, and DD/SoJ alt, 4 colors for each like cloud and bayo.

Sean Wheeler

Smash Lord
A lawyer would be fun to play in Smash! Phoenix Wright could use a similar moveset to Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 and throwing documents around. Just pit him against the Wii Fit Trainer and we can have a funny fight between a lawyer vs a yoga instructor.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed

i think wed get both

Inoj

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-1541-1574-0818
Phoenix gets shortened to Nick ('nix ~ Nick).

Flyboy

Smash Hero
I know it won't happen but imagine if Evo ends tonight...

"Thanks for joining us for Smash Ultimate everyone! That's the end of Evo!"

"OBJECTION!"

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982
For the voice actor, I'd prefer Eric Vale. I think he does a good job, and we have Funimation voice actors in Smash already. Not sure if he's a part of an union though...I am guessing so, which would make him unlikely.

Riegel is alright. Lacks a bit of omph in my opinion.

And for Ben Judd...well he isn't a professional voice actor and no longer works for Capcom. Not sure how easy it would be to get a hold of him.

No doubt Takumi would voice Japanese Phoenix. He and Sakurai are buds.

Arctiq

Smash Journeyman
For the voice actor, I'd prefer Eric Vale. I think he does a good job, and we have Funimation voice actors in Smash already. Not sure if he's a part of an union though...I am guessing so, which would make him unlikely.

Riegel is alright. Lacks a bit of omph in my opinion.

And for Ben Judd...well he isn't a professional voice actor and no longer works for Capcom. Not sure how easy it would be to get a hold of him.

No doubt Takumi would voice Japanese Phoenix. He and Sakurai are buds.
I personally wouldn't mind either Sam Riegel or Eric Vale. Eric does a great job (and he sounds like he should be the definitive Nick voice), though I'm a bit nostalgic towards Sam as he was a part of some of my favorite all-time anime.

Last edited:

Sonsa

Smash Champion
I don't wanna be picky with voices, I remember when his UMvC3 trailer dropped I was hung up about the voice for a bit but then shook it off and celebrated and soon after thought it fit great! I'll take whoever as long as they can perform a heroic dork well!

Anyway, watched Evo with buds and it would have been cool to react to some Smash announcement together, buuut I'd been saying it'd be totally cool if there was none cause that'd just mean that the next news'd come in September, in a September Direct, shortly after TGS, the perfect time for Phoenix to be revealed! And then there was no announcement! So I guess August will be a little quiet, but this is good, this is good timing I thiiink...

It just feels more and more perfect for Phoenix's trailer to be similar to Isabelle's from last September, where it isn't fighting with the challenger popping out, it's you thinking it's another game and then surprise it's Smash! That seems like the most likely possibility if he's in... It's not true, he cooould be either #4 or #5, but my guts telling me it's now or never he's gatta be #4 or that's it...!

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
I don't wanna be picky with voices, I remember when his UMvC3 trailer dropped I was hung up about the voice for a bit but then shook it off and celebrated and soon after thought it fit great! I'll take whoever as long as they can perform a heroic dork well!

Anyway, watched Evo with buds and it would have been cool to react to some Smash announcement together, buuut I'd been saying it'd be totally cool if there was none cause that'd just mean that the next news'd come in September, in a September Direct, shortly after TGS, the perfect time for Phoenix to be revealed! And then there was no announcement! So I guess August will be a little quiet, but this is good, this is good timing I thiiink...

It just feels more and more perfect for Phoenix's trailer to be similar to Isabelle's from last September, where it isn't fighting with the challenger popping out, it's you thinking it's another game and then surprise it's Smash! That seems like the most likely possibility if he's in... It's not true, he cooould be either #4 or #5, but my guts telling me it's now or never he's gatta be #4 or that's it...!
I mean... it's not over until the Pass ends, at the very least.

But yeah, I also have a gut feeling that Challenger Pack #4 is from Capcom, specifically. Let's all hope for that Objection at the end of the fall Direct.

Top Bottom