• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

TAKE THAT! Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney smashes the prosecution!

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
The poster probably got really lucky. We don't even know if they have a track record prior to this. Also, I kinda doubt MH Hunter would get in this time, but that's neither here nor there...
I mean... it's an anonymous poster, It's impossible to check for track records. Take the entire salt shaker here.

I doubt MH too, but let's see what others will say.

Calamitas

Smash Champion
This video doesn't relate to anything specific right now, but I felt that I needed to share it here, on account of it being far more well-made than it has any right to be.

Also, I kinda doubt MH Hunter would get in this time, but that's neither here nor there...
That's the main reason why I'm not believing that leak. That, and I don't want to believe it, because Monster Hunter and Doom Guy would just be. . . incredibly boring picks to me.

D

Deleted member

This video doesn't relate to anything specific right now, but I felt that I needed to share it here, on account of it being far more well-made than it has any right to be.

That's the main reason why I'm not believing that leak. That, and I don't want to believe it, because Monster Hunter and Doom Guy would just be. . . incredibly boring picks to me.
That video is perfect wtf.

You made my day go from eh to awesome just by blessing me with this.

I also agree about Doomguy feeling boring for us.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
For DG, it's far less about being dull (I'm fine with him IMO) and more about already doing a second Western character in a row? That would seem a bit soon for me, unless the company is real fast and easy to work with.

Also, it seems the post was taken completely out of context, the OP in the thread it's from specifically had users play a game in which they'd just list third parties as pass newcomers.

Flyboy

Smash Hero
I don't think the post is a leak, just someone saying speculation and getting lucky. Monster Hunter feels like someone they'd save for next game to me, though they are a plausible choice. Doomguy is big in speculation now and would be cool because, hey, Doom is cool. It's not disappointing - female MonHun would be awesome - but it's just not my personal tastes. With that said, I don't see it happening.

Last edited:

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
I think I'm not gonna Take That! offer. I didn't find the pun particularly OBJECTION!able. 'Course, someone else might tell you to Hold It! and apologize for it some more. But if you're lucky, you'll just get Silence! for that.
Forgot to adress this post before, but I gotta say, bad jokes and coffee are both aquired tastes.

Humans will put some nice amounts of effort on stuff that you'd think isn't worth it. The results speak for themselves. Don't believe me? Look up Cool 3D World.

Why is this so good holy ****.

TheYungLink

Smash Lord
That video is perfect wtf.

You made my day go from eh to awesome just by blessing me with this.

I also agree about Doomguy feeling boring for us.
All of iKiwed's videos are great, my favorite is Steamed Hams but it's Ace Attorney

KillerCage

Smash Master
Thoughts on the article on the front page about Capcom newcomers? Thought the segment on Ace Attorney was harsh..
Jones came off dismissive of Phoenix Wright, but he presented misinformation that got under my skin. I take issue with this line:
This series also faces a similar problem to Monster Hunter: it has a large presence on Nintendo hardware and among Nintendo fans, as that’s where most of the series has been featured.
Monster Hunter started on the PS2 so there should be a sizable Playstation auidence as well as a Nintendo auidence. The Ace Attorney series has already appeared on iOS devices so there is an audience beyond Nintendo.
Of course there is the Resident Evil bias through out this article. I'm just not sure how a Resident Evil Character would work in Smash as an unique fighter and/or faithful to their source franchise.
Also, WHY is he talking about Dante when he has already been deconfirmed MULTIPLE times!?

Leotsune

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Leotsune
I'm currently playing DOOM (2016) and I gotta say I'm impressed of how good it is, I haven't played a fps in a while maybe that's why I feel the game so refreshing (?).
And well, I love Monster Hunter sooooo much, although I was a little disappointed of not getting MH as a fighter, I feel Rathalos is the best representation I could've asked for.
In short, I wouldn't mind those two characters at all, but also I don't think neither of those characters are getting in.

Last edited:

Calamitas

Smash Champion
I'm currently playing DOOM (2016) and I gotta say I'm impressed of how good it is, I haven't played a fps in a while maybe that's why I feel the game so refreshing (?).
And well, I love Monster Hunter sooooo much, although I was a little disappointed of not getting MH as a fighter, I feel Rathalos is the best representation I could've asked for.
In short, I wouldn't mind those two characters at all, but also I don't think neither of those characters are getting in.
Different tastes, I suppose. I personally tend to really not care for most things in the shooter genre, Splatoon and Metroid Prime being the prime exception. But then again, the former is third-person, and the latter might not even count as a shooter, so yeah.

Leotsune

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Leotsune
So, here's something interesting...

https://legendsoflocalization.com/viral-and-memorable-mistranslations-of-japanese-game-news/

Remember how we all hyped ourselves up over the "unmissable" TGS panel? It turns out that was a bad translation that really oversold it. Just goes to show how difficult translation and localization can be!
That's an interesting article, I remember waking up at 4am to watch the panel, even though I know 0 Japanese I was hoping to hear "Gyakuten Saiban 7" or something like that.
Needless to say I was heavily disappointed.

Northadox

Smash Apprentice
Interestingly, the voice of Eight, Yuki Kaji, also voices Nick in the anime. Another neat VA connection, like Maya's current VA Abby Trott doing the lyrics of the English version of Lifelight.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Interestingly, the voice of Eight, Yuki Kaji, also voices Nick in the anime. Another neat VA connection, like Maya's current VA Abby Trott doing the lyrics of the English version of Lifelight.
Interesting. Who voices Nick in the games?

Northadox

Smash Apprentice
Interesting. Who voices Nick in the games?
Several dudes and one dudette. Wright's never had a consistent VA across the games often, often swapping for different eras and spinoffs.
English Game VAs:
Ben Judd (Trilogy + AJ)
Sam Riegel (UMvC3, DD, SoJ, Smash)
Trevor White (PWvAA)
Japanese Game VAs:
Our main man Shu Takumi (Trilogy + AJ)
Takayuki Kondo (DD, SoJ)
Kosuke Toriumi (UMvC3)
Hiroki Narimiya (PWvAA)
English Anime VAs:
Eric Vale (Funimation)
Jill Harris (Funimation, young Phoenix)
Japanese Anime VA:
As mentioned, Yuki Kaji

Most iconic peformance is Ben Judd's, as most people would say. Something about his "objection!" and "hold it!" never cease to make me giddy every time I hear them. Judd left Capcom a while back and that's why he never voiced him past that, but it makes sense because Ace Attorney didn't have professional VAs till later.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Several dudes and one dudette. Wright's never had a consistent VA across the games often, often swapping for different eras and spinoffs.
English Game VAs:
Ben Judd (Trilogy + AJ)
Sam Riegel (UMvC3, DD, SoJ, Smash)
Trevor White (PWvAA)
Japanese Game VAs:
Our main man Shu Takumi (Trilogy + AJ)
Takayuki Kondo (DD, SoJ)
Kosuke Toriumi (UMvC3)
Hiroki Narimiya (PWvAA)
English Anime VAs:
Eric Vale (Funimation)
Jill Harris (Funimation, young Phoenix)
Japanese Anime VA:
As mentioned, Yuki Kaji

Most iconic peformance is Ben Judd's, as most people would say. Something about his "objection!" and "hold it!" never cease to make me giddy every time I hear them. Judd left Capcom a while back and that's why he never voiced him past that, but it makes sense because Ace Attorney didn't have professional VAs till later.
I'm guessing we'd get the VAs for AA5 and 6 to voice Nick if he were to get into Smash. Or, who knows? Sakurai's a wizard, so he might be able to pull some strings and get Ben Judd to do it - I for one wouldn't complain (Takumi would probably be easy to get).

I was asking because I was wondering, maybe Solo getting Phoenix's anime VA spelled bad news for Phoenix getting in (or good news? Xander Mobus did get two characters beyond his double role), but if the anime and game seiyuu are different then there's nothing to worry about.

Flyboy

Smash Hero
i think some context might be needed

neat
Basically a standard Japanese press release about TGS was mistranslated by someone who didn't know that the word translated to "unmissable" in Japanese was basic marketing speak not meant to imply major announcements and the entire fandom hyped themselves up way too much over something that was just a "Hey, here's some cool stuff related to the franchise that's coming out, like the trilogy rerelease" press conference. More info in the link I posted.

This whole thread stayed up so late for that Livestream....

Last edited:

Bobthealligator

Smash Ace
I mean... it's an anonymous poster, It's impossible to check for track records. Take the entire salt shaker here.

I doubt MH too, but let's see what others will say.
The leak can't be 100% correct. It said male and female versions of 4 different armours. There are only 8 empty character slots in World of Light so if this is true then there won't be room for character 5.

Calamitas

Smash Champion
The leak can't be 100% correct. It said male and female versions of 4 different armours. There are only 8 empty character slots in World of Light so if this is true then there won't be room for character 5.
Wait, does this number take into account the release of Hero?

Northadox

Smash Apprentice
So, inspired by Sonsa and other people crafting movesets, I decided to make my own Phoenix moveset, in the form of an image. I spent like three hours on this, help me.
A few things to address:
1) This moveset serves to be as fanservice-y as possible, which may make it feel a bit too bloated. The projectile types of Phoenix's neutral special could be lessened, or only Maya could appear from his Down Special/taunts/victory animations.
2) Evidence is a gimmick that I'd love Nick to have, but I'm not sure about its balance and its mechanics. The idea is that you're encouraged to both expend and save evidence for the stat boosts and for their versatility as projectiles, but you can't hold onto them too long so it's best to use them...decisions players would have to make, I suppose. It's supposed to emulate his UMvC3 gimmick without there being investigation/trial/turnabout modes.
3) The moveset, while simultaneously fanservice-y, hits the same notes that Pac-Man and Cloud do with their movesets, so I'm worried it may seem unoriginal in some aspects.
4) All of his moves didn't need names but I did it anyway. Some of them might be too tacky.
5) Maya/Trucy/Ema would also get alt colors with Nick's various palette swaps! Which reinforces point #1, because that'd be a lot of palettes for one character.
6) Speaking of pallettes, I didn't come up with a select 7 for Nick. I was thinking like Default/Edgeworth/Godot/Young/Older/Athena/Apollo/Hobo but you'd be missing out on a lot of character representation...though I really like some of the alternate costumes.
7) Psyche-Locks. Besides a grab, I was thinking they could be their own mechanic - like, deal enough % post-grab, and they'd break and send opponents flying, but that might be just another layer onto this already complex character.
8) Echo Fighters and the Down Special. I was thinking that Edgeworth would instead have a trio of his own assistants - Franziska, Kay, and Gumshoe, but that'd make him more like an Isabelle type clone instead of a full on echo-fighter. Ema and Maya don't work too well for Polly, either.
9) Just realized I forgot the Final Smash. I talked about it here before but I'd want something like Though Route, considering it's often the coup de grace in newer Ace Attorney games.

Last edited:

Flyboy

Smash Hero
I love that moveset! It fills me with warm feelings. I think it also does a really great job of explaining why we want Phoenix as a character - the sheer amount of fun and personality that is reflected in him and his animations would be second-to-none. Phoenix is such a lovable character and a moveset packed with references and animations and goofy props is enough to put a smile on anyone's face.

What an amazing series. It can make you laugh one second and cry the next. There's a reason it's my favorite and Phoenix is my most-wanted. Awesome stuff.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Basically a standard Japanese press release about TGS was mistranslated by someone who didn't know that the word translated to "unmissable" in Japanese was basic marketing speak not meant to imply major announcements and the entire fandom hyped themselves up way too much over something that was just a "Hey, here's some cool stuff related to the franchise that's coming out, like the trilogy rerelease" press conference. More info in the link I posted.

This whole thread stayed up so late for that Livestream....
ah got it

Leotsune

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Leotsune
The idea of side-b being a command grab is one of the sickest ideas I've seen for a Phoenix's moveset, just behind the pointer/reticle up-smash from a video I watched a while ago.

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
So that thing about the slots on WoL got me thinking...

PP uses 2. So does Joker. Hero probably uses 4. We know from previous datamines that alt costumes count for these slots (I think this came from DrHyperCake? Not sure).

So basically we had 16 of those. Half are gone. Based on the way Banjo was shown, I'd say he doesn't have any alts and thus just has one slot.

Question: does this favor characters who could have alts? Because if all of the above is correct (do tell if it isn't the case), then there are 7 slots left. Weird number, but then characters with other available costumes could have a better chance... like a certain lawyer.

Flyboy

Smash Hero

PP uses 2. So does Joker. Hero probably uses 4. We know from previous datamines that alt costumes count for these slots (I think this came from DrHyperCake? Not sure).

So basically we had 16 of those. Half are gone. Based on the way Banjo was shown, I'd say he doesn't have any alts and thus just has one slot.

Question: does this favor characters who could have alts? Because if all of the above is correct (do tell if it isn't the case), then there are 7 slots left. Weird number, but then characters with other available costumes could have a better chance... like a certain lawyer.
This is a really interesting idea. If we consider that Modern, Classic, and then either AJ or T&T alts would make three and bring the rest of the slots to 4, that's pretty plausible. At the same time, the question is whether the slots were determined first or the costume amounts are based on the available slots.

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
This is a really interesting idea. If we consider that Modern, Classic, and then either AJ or T&T alts would make three and bring the rest of the slots to 4, that's pretty plausible. At the same time, the question is whether the slots were determined first or the costume amounts are based on the available slots.
I don't think we ever got a character with an odd number of alts, though. This all raises some serious questions about the remaining characters and the possibility of more standalone DLC after the pass.

In terms of the currently speculated characters, this doesn't change much, as most have the potential for alts, but I still thought I'd bring this up.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend

Not quite. There's two types of 'slots' that were found. 16 WoL slots, and 30 'regular' slots. The WoL slots were just a character each, meaning that Piranha Plant took 1 and Joker took another (I would assume that Hero does as well, leaving us with 13 slots). The other kind of slots, the ones I called 'regular' slots, were dependent on alts, so PP took up 2, Joker another 2, and I would assume Hero would take up 4, leaving us with 22.

The point about fighters probably coming with alts still stands, but I thought I'd clarify since it can be pretty confusing.

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
Not quite. There's two types of 'slots' that were found. 16 WoL slots, and 30 'regular' slots. The WoL slots were just a character each, meaning that Piranha Plant took 1 and Joker took another (I would assume that Hero does as well, leaving us with 13 slots). The other kind of slots, the ones I called 'regular' slots, were dependent on alts, so PP took up 2, Joker another 2, and I would assume Hero would take up 4, leaving us with 22.

The point about fighters probably coming with alts still stands, but I thought I'd clarify since it can be pretty confusing.
Ooh, yeah, right. That's why some people are confident on more characters post-FP.

So in other words, we will have 10 WoL slots remaining after the pass either way. As of now, the regular slots would number around 21 (if you count Banjo. I believe that if he and Kazooie had an alt, it would have appeared in the trailer).

Considering we never had a character with an odd alt number before, that would hypothetically mean we would get more characters post FP and that at least one of these would potentially have 4 alts, like Hero (otherwise the numbers don't match).

Keep in mind, I'm just playing around with the idea. What do you guys think?

Last edited:

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Ooh, yeah, right. That's why some people are confident on more characters post-FP.

So in other words, we will have 10 WoL slots remaining after the pass either way. As of now, the regular slots would number around 21 (if you count Banjo. I believe that if he and Kazooie had an alt, it would have appeared in the trailer).

Considering we never had a character with an odd alt number before, that would hypothetically mean we would get more characters post FP and that at least one of these would potentially have 4 alts, like Hero (otherwise the numbers don't match).

Keep in mind, I'm just playing around with the idea. What do you guys think?
It could mean that, or it could mean that there will simply be slots left unused. Either-or.

I would expect Banjo-Kazooie to have an alt though, I think it's become basically an expectation with how fanservicey the Fighter Pass characters have been.

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
It could mean that, or it could mean that there will simply be slots left unused. Either-or.

I would expect Banjo-Kazooie to have an alt though, I think it's become basically an expectation with how fanservicey the Fighter Pass characters have been.
Maybe they could be "fanservicey" in other ways, though. Joker's main source of fanservice were the music gimmick on Mementos and his FS/victory screen. Hero has his alts and an absurd amount of spells. Characters like Banjo or Phoenix could bring other stuff.

And yeah, the slots can go unused. Though, I've been saying that no character has an odd number of alts, but there is precisely one: Mario (regular, Builder and Wedding).

So I do think alts are worth looking into when it comes to the FP... and I guess Phoenix is well served in that regard.

Flyboy

Smash Hero
Banjo could have one with Dragon Kazooie, that'd be cool. I don't think I see it happening because she would've been shown off in the video, but I can't say that wouldn't be neat.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Banjo could have one with Dragon Kazooie, that'd be cool. I don't think I see it happening because she would've been shown off in the video, but I can't say that wouldn't be neat.
i know im hoping for dragon kazooie

Fry Rice

Smash Rookie
So apparantly there's a "leak" about a European Starling and people are saying that it could be Geno. (Idk if anyone covered it here and I'm too lazy to check lol)
I don't brieve this leak for the reasons being:
1) Why would Square have two reps?
2) It could very well be Phoenix because Phoenix is also a type of bird.
3) Geno should've been a costume but for some reason, he wasn't.
4) I believe that Spirits deconfirm characters.
5) It's a stupid "leak."

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
So apparantly there's a "leak" about a European Starling and people are saying that it could be Geno. (Idk if anyone covered it here and I'm too lazy to check lol)
5) It's a stupid "leak."
The leak comes directly from Sabi's Nintendo source on Discord. Apparently, the guy has never been wrong before. We should always take rumours with a grain of salt, but it's not like this is some 4chan greentext with nothing behind them.

People just think it relates to Geno, but the actual leaker never said that. In fact, it might not be related to Smash at all, because this same person also leaked Link's Awakening in a similar manner before.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
5) It's a stupid "leak."
third square character

Top Bottom