• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

TAKE THAT! Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney smashes the prosecution!

Northadox

Smash Apprentice
Are we sharing AA memes to bolster our morale?

Last edited:

Leotsune

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Leotsune
Are we sharing AA memes to bolster our morale?
What a coincidence, yesterday I was playing UNO with some friends, we played just one game that went on for almost two hours (probably because most of the time we were talking instead of playing).
I learnt two things from that experience.
1.- Everyone has UNO.
2.- I hate that game.

sorry for this offtopic post but i wanted to share my little tale.

Sonsa

Smash Champion
Oh, speaking of card games, there's no Ace Attorney content in that Teppen game yet, right? Not that it means anything, was just thinking of trying it, but it seems really early and rough and people talkin bout crashes and rankings, eh, but hey, if Phoenix was in an update that also made the game betterrr mayyybe I'd give it a shot! Or maybe not, the art seems neat, but I'm not really into card stuff...? But hey, I can see myself giving it a shot and collecting Ace Attorney cards or whatever haha

Last edited:

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Oh, speaking of card games, there's no Ace Attorney content in that Teppen game yet, right? Not that it means anything, was just thinking of trying it, but it seems really early and rough and people talkin bout crashes and rankings, eh, but hey, if Phoenix was in an update that also made the game betterrr mayyybe I'd give it a shot! Or maybe not, the art seems neat, but I'm not really into card stuff...? But hey, I can see myself giving it a shot and collecting Ace Attorney cards or whatever haha
I thought I saw Phoenix in promotional artwork for it, but I could be mistaken.

Flyboy

Smash Hero
I've always known in my heart of hearts that if they ever released an Ace Attorney gacha game, I'm screwed. So maybe it's a good thing Teppen doesn't have AA yet.

I wish it played more like Cardfighters Clash but if it gets some stability updates I may try it out.

Arctiq

Smash Journeyman
Been shuffling through this thread a bit and wanted to give my two cents on Phoenix Wright. Isn't it weird how Smash Ult. has absolutely zero Ace Attorney representation? Not a single spirit or track is in. Either some legal shenanigans prevent them from using him, or he's going to be DLC.

For his moveset, I think his unique gimmick would incorporate the spirit locks. Holding or pressing B could search for evidence like UMVC3, and when you hit another player with evidence, it removes a spirit lock from your UI. When you remove all spirit locks, the last enemy you hit evidence with will receive increased knockback and decreased defense for a time.

For his final smash, it has to be megaman style featuring every attorney for one large objection.

Leotsune

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Leotsune
Been shuffling through this thread a bit and wanted to give my two cents on Phoenix Wright. Isn't it weird how Smash Ult. has absolutely zero Ace Attorney representation? Not a single spirit or track is in. Either some legal shenanigans prevent them from using him, or he's going to be DLC.
The lack of Spirits caught me off-guards, like, it was such an obvious choice to give a beloved long-exclusive Nintendo franchise bit of representation because back then was impossible to give them a Fighter or even an assist trophy.
There is literally 0 reasons for the team not to put any AA spirits, but hey because of that now PW is a strong candidate to be a DLC fighter.

Last edited:

Calamitas

Smash Champion
Is the lack of Ace Attorney Spirits in base Ultimate really that surprising, though? At the end of the day, it's still a third-party franchise, no matter how closely associated with Nintendo handhelds and consoles it is. I honestly would have been more surprised if there had actually been any Ace Attorney content in base game.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed

For his moveset, I think his unique gimmick would incorporate the spirit locks. Holding or pressing B could search for evidence like UMVC3, and when you hit another player with evidence, it removes a spirit lock from your UI. When you remove all spirit locks, the last enemy you hit evidence with will receive increased knockback and decreased defense for a time.

For his final smash, it has to be megaman style featuring every attorney for one large objection.
yeah but thats also true for a lot of other seires

Arctiq

Smash Journeyman
Is the lack of Ace Attorney Spirits in base Ultimate really that surprising, though? At the end of the day, it's still a third-party franchise, no matter how closely associated with Nintendo handhelds and consoles it is. I honestly would have been more surprised if there had actually been any Ace Attorney content in base game.
A ton of third-party games have spirits tho. Even series that are relatively unknown like Glory of Heracles have a spirit(edit: well, Heracles is a bad example since it's mostly developed by Ninty buty my point stands!). Heck, Virtua Fighter's Akira is a spirit and he isn't even on a Nintendo console. I don't really see your point. The lack of an Ace Attorney spirit is a bit troubling given it's been with Nintendo since the GBA.

Last edited:

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
A ton of third-party games have spirits tho. Even series that are relatively unknown like Glory of Heracles have a spirit(edit: well, Heracles is a bad example since it's mostly developed by Ninty buty my point stands!). Heck, Virtua Fighter's Akira is a spirit and he isn't even on a Nintendo console. I don't really see your point. The lack of an Ace Attorney spirit is a bit troubling given it's been with Nintendo since the GBA.
Not really... Rathalos is a given, because he's a boss and Bomberman, Shovel Knight and Akira are ATs. Outside of that, the only Spirits from 3rd parties without any other series content are Shantae and Risky Boots. The rest are either the aforementioned ATs/boss, Nindies or are apparently co-owned by Nintendo (apparently this is the case for the two specific Fatal Frame Spirits we got).

Besides, having AA Spirits in the base game would make Nick unviable for the Pass, so it's a good thing, really.

Leotsune

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Leotsune
Besides, having AA Spirits in the base game would make Nick unviable for the Pass, so it's a good thing, really.
That's right, as for today spirits DO deconfirm characters, and they will until we are proven otherwise.
If AA had Spirits in the game, this thread might as well be dead, or at least not as full of hope as it is.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Glory of Heracles is fully Nintendo owned. Akira from Virtua Fighter got a Spirit because he's an AT.

There are no Spirits from any series that isn't represented in Smash Ultimate through other means, so that's the simple explanation behind Ace Attorney's absence.

And, as has been mentioned, not being present actually helps our chances!

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
On the topic the original poster brought up: let me say one last thing:

If Ace Attorney, of all series, had its presence in Smash blocked due to legal reasons of all things, the irony would be so strong that I wouldn't even be that mad. I'd laugh my *** off.

Off-topic, I'm really glad that the AA and RE fans seem chill with one another, considering most people have pretty much accepted by this point that if we do get a Capcom character, it will be from either one of them. Sure is a breath of fresh air after the stuff with the Square rep and Banjo.

Calamitas

Smash Champion
Off-topic, I'm really glad that the AA and RE fans seem chill with one another, considering most people have pretty much accepted by this point that if we do get a Capcom character, it will be from either one of them. Sure is a breath of fresh air after the stuff with the Square rep and Banjo.
And I'm just sitting here, having a priority that goes Amaterasu > Phoenix >>>>>> Anything RE. . .

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
And I'm just sitting here, having a priority that goes Amaterasu > Phoenix >>>>>> Anything RE. . .
I mean, everyone wants some character more than others, that's to be expected. I'm just glad no one seems to be going at each other's throats for their preferred Capcom rep.

With Ammy... I guess it's a pity that Capcom doesn't give her series much love these days. I liked using her along with Phoenix in UMvC3.

King Sonnn DeDeDoo

Smash Champion
Despite being a Phoenix supporter, I had not finished up the entire original trilogy until today. Not sure which is my favorite, I think it might be Ace Attorney just because it has the most Edgeworth and I really like Edgeworth. Now I'll really need to dust off my 3DS to play the remaining games in the series.

Here's to hoping that one of biggest icons of the GBA and DS can finally be immortalized in Smash!

Leotsune

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Leotsune
I thinks its because, for one, AA fans are pretty chill, most of us just want DGS localized, or AA7, its not like we have a lot going on for the series, and Smash is just kind of a pipe dream, but I don't think is a priority for the community.
While a lot of RE fans just don't care about Smash at all, because it is a much larger community and the fraction that is actually invested in Smash have also other characters they support.

Flyboy

Smash Hero
My take on Capcom is that I have and always have been a Capcom fan. I respect every single one of their IPs. Phoenix is my most-wanted and AA is my favorite series ever, but that doesn't mean I don't adore Okami and wouldn't love Ammy. Resident Evil is a series I respect from the bottom of my heart - I'm actually planning on playing RE2 during an October horror game jam with my roommate and I've been stoked ever since we made those plans. Viewtiful Joe is another series I love and have since I was a kid. Dante was the first ever action figure I imported from Japan, just before Search Soul and Proto Soul MegaMan.EXE figures.

I know some fans will go at each others' throats, but dammit, I bleed blue and yellow, so any new Capcom rep makes me happy. They could add Bison or Chun-Li, even, and I'd be overjoyed. But that won't stop me from hoping every day that we get Phoenix next.

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
I thinks its because, for one, AA fans are pretty chill, most of us just want DGS localized, or AA7, its not like we have a lot going on for the series, and Smash is just kind of a pipe dream, but I don't think is a priority for the community.
While a lot of RE fans just don't care about Smash at all, because it is a much larger community and the fraction that is actually invested in Smash have also other characters they support.
Pretty much. That, and both series are still very much alive and getting new games. I've talked about this before, in fact. It's not like the Mother fanbase, where localization is a pipe dream and the series is finished or the Banjo fans who had to watch Microsoft sit on the IP and do nothing for the past 11 years or so.

And I think people recognize both could bring interesting stuff to Smash. Some people, myself included, take a peek on the Jill thread from time to time. People come up with really good movesets sometimes.

My take on Capcom is that I have and always have been a Capcom fan. I respect every single one of their IPs. Phoenix is my most-wanted and AA is my favorite series ever, but that doesn't mean I don't adore Okami and wouldn't love Ammy. Resident Evil is a series I respect from the bottom of my heart - I'm actually planning on playing RE2 during an October horror game jam with my roommate and I've been stoked ever since we made those plans. Viewtiful Joe is another series I love and have since I was a kid. Dante was the first ever action figure I imported from Japan, just before Search Soul and Proto Soul MegaMan.EXE figures.

I know some fans will go at each others' throats, but dammit, I bleed blue and yellow, so any new Capcom rep makes me happy. They could add Bison or Chun-Li, even, and I'd be overjoyed. But that won't stop me from hoping every day that we get Phoenix next.
There are still a few other series besides RE and AA, but even most of their fans admit the chances are kinda low compared to these two. Or, in case of the other two top 10 Capcom series still in contention (Onimusha and Dead Rising), would be in a weird place for Smash. Heck, it would be really weird to see Frank West get in before a RE character imo.

God, the more I speculate about Capcom characters, the more I just want them to join with Ninty already and make Nintendo vs. Capcom a reality.

Last edited:

Looma

Smash Journeyman
Simply put, there's a sense of solidarity within Capcom fans. We've all seen the crossover circus before, and we know the breaks. We can't take one getting in over another personally. We all know Capcom has one of the strongest lineups in the industry, and honestly it looks more like a supportive family sometimes.

Microsoft is more akin to a weird dysfunctional adopted extended octomon family that wants nothing to do with each other. Square Enix likes pain.

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
Simply put, there's a sense of solidarity within Capcom fans. We've all seen the crossover circus before, and we know the breaks. We can't take one getting in over another personally. We all know Capcom has one of the strongest lineups in the industry, and honestly it looks more like a supportive family sometimes.

Microsoft is more akin to a weird dysfunctional adopted extended octomon family that wants nothing to do with each other. Square Enix likes pain.
Frankly, I think Microsoft would still be that way if not for people like Phil Spencer. For example, the Xbox was known as a console that had basically no exclusives and not that much variety, but now it's supporting several indie studios under its belt. Plus, they're more receptive to cooperating with other companies than they've ever been.

Square... has always been weird, because it used to be two completely different companies (or "families", to keep up with your analogy) that were kinda rivals themselves (FF vs DQ rivalry). So things are all over the place, in a way.

As for Capcom... well as Maximillian Dood said in a video of his not too long ago... back in the 90s, when you said "FGC", you mostly meant the Capcom fighting games community. And most MvC characters are well-received, regardless of genre, Phoenix included. I think that, weird corporate decisions aside, those things are kind of a testament to how their fans band together even among different demographics, I think.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Capcom guys got to stick together. I think we all support each other because we've all seen many of their franchises just be abandoned (RIP Dino Crisis) or butchered (RIP Breath of Fire), so there's that feeling of solidarity amongst those that are still going.

Arctiq

Smash Journeyman
Honestly, if we do get an RE rep, I'd love to get Wesker. I've never played an RE game all the way through, but Wesker looks awesome in UMVC3. I'm still rooting for Nick as my #2 choice (my first being Karate Joe).

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
So wrapping dai gyakuten Saiban, does anybody else think that Sherlock is totally Klavier gavin's ancestor? Seriously I'm getting so much same energy vibes between these 2 guys. Both blonde, both have purple on their outfits, have the same smug look.
ap,550x550,16x12,1,transparent,t.u1.png
APAA3DS5.png

Last edited:

Sonsa

Smash Champion
So wrapping dai gyakuten Saiban, does anybody else think that Sherlock is totally Klavier gavin's ancestor? Seriously I'm getting so much same energy vibes between these 2 guys. Both blonde, both have purple on their outfits, have the same smug look.
I figured that maybe, from the quote Holmes gives in the first game, "Once you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains is the truth" in the fan translation (and I think the fan translation is pretty accurate, right?) that it may have been implied that Godot is a descendant of Holmes? But hey sure, Klavier looks like he could be related, anything's possible I guess!

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
I figured that maybe, from the quote Holmes gives in the first game, "Once you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains is the truth" in the fan translation (and I think the fan translation is pretty accurate, right?) that it may have been implied that Godot is a descendant of Holmes? But hey sure, Klavier looks like he could be related, anything's possible I guess!
That quote is originally from Sherlock Holmes, so I don't think that's the implication.

Sonsa

Smash Champion
That quote is originally from Sherlock Holmes, so I don't think that's the implication.
Oh cool! .................................maybe when Godot said it, they meant to imply that Godot is Holmes descendant........ I don't really care either way, but I am laughing at the thought of me fighting for this and then we find out in DGS3 or whatever that Holmes gets with a lady that loves coffee and has these peculiar new-fangled bifocals pffft

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
Honestly I'll take it as long as Shi talumi is still directing it. I like his storytelling a whole lot more than Yamazaki's.

Sonsa

Smash Champion
I definitely love Shu Takumi, the trilogy, Ghost Trick, but I'm really not into the story of DGS at all... The animation's great, the jury, I think it's a good game, but I'm not really into the setting, the music, or the story...
How like...two of the cases - the killers are obvious, and for the other two - the murders are accidents?
but from what I've seen of the second game (it isn't done being translated yet as far as I know...) it looks better! But the setting and music still aren't really for me personally! I prefer more techno and modern stuff.

Not to be mean, but now that DGS seems...done...I am hoping Takumi gets back into the main series, I know he wanted a break from it and felt Phoenix's story was done, but maybe some fun ideas were left at the cutting room and would actually work well for Athena or some new prosecutor or something! If he still wants to take a break and make something new, then go for it, wish him the best either way and I don't think the series has been left in the worst hands anyway! Spirit of Justice turned out to be one of my favorites despite some corny or awkward moments! I got great moments with favorite characters and two huge legitimate wow didn't-see-that-coming "Oh!" moments!

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Honestly I'll take it as long as Shi talumi is still directing it. I like his storytelling a whole lot more than Yamazaki's.
Same. I wish he'd come back to the main series. The current writing team are imo stuck trying to one-up themselves with unnecessary gimmicks. 'How do we give Phoenix a challenge? Let's send him to this foreign country!' when honestly Phoenix is a doofus and they could have just had regular cases that stumped him - and the player - or just hand the reins to Apollo and Athena.

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
I would love it if Shu takumi actually came back to the main series. Yamazaki's style over substance approache just doesn't do it for me and the way he's handled Takumi's characters made me really dislike the later games.

Also I really hate how yamazaki's team likes to pretend that Trucy just doesn't exist. She was my favorite character in AA4 but now she's hardly ever around.

Last edited:

ColtonS25

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 6762 3529 5300
Hey guys, never posted here before, but I've been supporting Phoenix for a long time now! I'm a big fan of the Ace Attorney series and I'd say that Phoenix is probably my third most wanted (behind Elma and Geno), but it's very close. I just genuinely enjoy the character and support the idea of him being playable (with an Edgeworth echo preferably). He's probably the most likely Capcom representative if we get anyone else besides Mega Man, and I could absolutely see him being Fighter #4 or #5.

Sonsa

Smash Champion
Welcome! Feel free to share ideas or join in on this particular discussion!

As for Trucy, yeaaah, she's one of my favorites, and a reason I like Spirit of Justice is cause she got so much attention in a particular case! Maya's one of my favs too, and she didn't get lots of screen time, but I like how she fit in to the story and remember it fondly. The only case I really didn't like was the first one, eve though the new country has silly puns and I don't prefer the music or setting of it, and the DLC case was lots of fun too! Though, Nahyuta is my least favorite prosecutor, found him boring...cool theme though!

Dual Destinies is a bit more rough for me. Was the start of this cheesier feel? Not really into Case 1, 2, or 4, but 3 is pretty great and 5 is one of my favs overall! And Simon ended up being one of my fav prosecutors! Oh, and the Mood Matrix is my favorite mechanic for sure!

I guess I can ramble all day, but yeah, since I feel like the current people have gotten better and better, I would be okay with seeing what they have next! But Shu Takumi coming back would be really exciting, the new games have great cases, moments, and all sorts of things I love, buuut nothing has beat Apollo Justice or Trials & Tribulations yet <3

Last edited:

Korar

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW-5170-5706-7228
While i personally love DD/SoJ, i do think the series could use another big change of pace, and after playing DGS, i think bringing takumi back would be one of the best possible ways of doing it. i don't think the feel of the games would be the same as the original trilogy since it's been so long since he worked on the main series, which i think would be a good thing to do while moving from the 3DS to the Switch.

Northadox

Smash Apprentice
Fun hypothetical time. We've talked music before but let's say each game in the series gets three songs added. Which songs would you pick? You don't have to include every game if you haven't played 'em all (haven't touched DGS yet, so...)

AA1
Pursuit ~ Cornered (duh)
Objection! 2001
Cross-Examination ~ Moderato/Allegro 2001
AA2
Pursuit ~ Questioned
Investigation Middle 2002
Great Revival ~ Miles Edgeworth
AA3
Pursuit ~ Caught
Trial 2004
Godot ~ The Fragrance of Dark-Colored Coffee
AA4
Pursuit ~ Overtaken
Apollo Justice ~ A New Trial is in Session!
Trial 2007
AAI
Pursuit ~ Lying Coldly
Confrontation ~ Presto 2009
Detective Gumshoe ~ I Can Do it When it Counts, Pal!
AAI2
Pursuit ~ Wanting to Find the Truth
Logic Chess ~ Opening/Endgame
Confrontation ~ Moderato/Allegro 2011
AA5
Pursuit ~ Keep Pressing On
Trial 2013
Athena Cykes ~ Courtroom Revolutionnaire 2013
AA6
Pursuit ~ Cornering Together
Phoenix Wright ~ Objection! 2016
Maya Fey ~ Turnabout Sisters 2016