• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

TAKE THAT! Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney smashes the prosecution!

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982
Can I just point out that Joker didn't exist when the Smash Ballot was a thing.
That doesn't necessarily mean they'll ignore the ballot completely though. Joker was obviously picked without it, but others can be picked due to it.

Banjo's a long-time demand and the ballot made that clear. I bet Dragon Quest had the same in Japan.

It works both ways. Depends how they approach it.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
We can definitely agree whether Sakurai confirms it or not that:ultbanjokazooie:were no doubt ballot picks as:ultkrool::ultridley::ultsimon::ultrichter:were.

Maybe :ulthero:as well given its popularity is Japan.

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
So with Dai Gyakuten Saiban. Is it my imagination or is there a weird attempt at being consistent with the Layton crossover?

The music is very Laytonesque, a lot of the characters that Ryu meets have very Layton like designs and the British courtroom in this game looks like an in between of the modern day British court that Phoenix visited and the medieval witches court. It's kinda weird.

Sonsa

Smash Champion
Ha! I can't believe I'm realizing...well, re-realizing, that there's no portals or whatever in Layton vs Ace Attorney, Phoenix and Maya literally just take a plane to London and meet Layton... These two series from two different companies just share an earth?? That's a huge commitment! Nahhh, you can just consider the crossover non-canon and all...but still, they just took a plane, ha! And I can't help but imagine the, uh, "stuff" at the end of the third Layton game on the news and Maya flipping through the channels and stopping on the news on that, thinking it's some cool show~

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
We can definitely agree whether Sakurai confirms it or not that:ultbanjokazooie:were no doubt ballot picks as:ultkrool::ultridley::ultsimon::ultrichter:were.

Maybe :ulthero:as well given its popularity is Japan.
Also, all the veterans that came back. :ultwolf::ultyounglink::ultsnake::ulticeclimbers: :ultsquirtle::ultivysaur::ultpokemontrainer:Even him. :ultpichu:

So far, they seem to have picked people from the ballot that can be realisable, and set aside those that couldn't make the base or DLC rosters as ATs, Mii costumes or even Pac-cameos, for whatever assorted reasons there are.

Last edited:

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
So with Dai Gyakuten Saiban. Is it my imagination or is there a weird attempt at being consistent with the Layton crossover?

The music is very Laytonesque, a lot of the characters that Ryu meets have very Layton like designs and the British courtroom in this game looks like an in between of the modern day British court that Phoenix visited and the medieval witches court. It's kinda weird.
I don't know much about the great Ace Attorney but if I recall correctly. It was directed by the same guy that did the Layton crossover. I think he also stated that he wanted to expand further upon the court sections in that game. Hence why the great ace attorney takes place so far back in the past.

Its probably no real secret that the two franchises have taken a lot of inspirations and cues from each other over the years. I believe a friend of mine also noticed that Edgeworth's father's characterization is similar to Hershel in AAI 2, I haven't played that game myself yet though so I'm not sure if that's true.

Last edited:

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Ha! I can't believe I'm realizing...well, re-realizing, that there's no portals or whatever in Layton vs Ace Attorney, Phoenix and Maya literally just take a plane to London and meet Layton... These two series from two different companies just share an earth?? That's a huge commitment! Nahhh, you can just consider the crossover non-canon and all...but still, they just took a plane, ha! And I can't help but imagine the, uh, "stuff" at the end of the third Layton game on the news and Maya flipping through the channels and stopping on the news on that, thinking it's some cool show~
It's totally canon that both series are in the same universe to me.

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
It's totally canon that both series are in the same universe to me.
My personal head canon has always been that it takes place in December 2018. Immediately after the events of Diabolical box and in between cases 2 and 3 of AA3.

My reasoning being that Phoenix and Maya were probably in London while Furio tigre was impersonating Phoenix. Explaining why Phoenix never once heard of the case until new years. And since late game in AA3 and unwound future both take place around winter it lines up pretty well.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
My personal head canon has always been that it takes place in December 2018. Immediately after the events of Diabolical box and in between cases 2 and 3 of AA3.

My reasoning being that Phoenix and Maya were probably in London while Furio tigre was impersonating Phoenix. Explaining why Phoenix never once heard of the case until new years. And since late game in AA3 and unwound future both take place around winter it lines up pretty well.
That works great, actually.

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982
Imagine we get an Ace Attorney Smash trailer: we see the courtroom and all, with Phoenix facing Edgeworth. The music stops and we get our next fighter revealed to this theme

Steel Samurai SLASHES IN]

Last edited:

Northadox

Smash Apprentice
Imagine we get an Ace Attorney Smash trailer: we see the courtroom and all, with Phoenix facing Edgeworth. The music stops and we get our next fighter revealed to this theme

Steel Samurai SLASHES IN]
another anime swordsman? wtf Sakurai I wanted Sandbag

Leotsune

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Leotsune
Steel samurai could easily be an echo of Ryunosuke.
But I have an even better idea:
Ryunosuke as an alt for Wright, kinda like Joker has the shujin outfit for his last 2 alts.
Even though people might say "Why does this guy have a sword he doesn't even use?" but I mean Falcon has a gun so...

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
It would be cool if in Phoenix's reveal trailer he's defending Joker in court.

You know because their anime adaptations were done by the same studio.

Alternatively make it one of those courtroom skits they do every year in Tokio game show. Like Once the trial starts and Phoenix goes "the defense is ready!" The other person at the prosecutors bench yells "Objection!" And comments about how high quality Phoenix and Maya's models are and how different they are compared to something Capcom would make. They address how weird this is until someone on the witness stand yells "Hold it!" And it's one of the Smash bros characters there to give Wright his invitation, an oddly elaborate reveal but one that would be hilarious

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Lesson of the day; when being facetious on the Internet, make sure to use smilies, otherwise people will take your joke at face value. :4pacman:

That aside, it seems there's server maintenance being planned. People assume this means that Hero's coming soon enough, though I personally doubt that.

Last edited:

Fry Rice

Smash Rookie
Ok, I'm pretty sure that if Phoenix is in the game, this is how it'll go down (or at least how I want it to go down).
It'll be very similar to Isabelle's trailer, they announce Phoenix with his moveset, stage and some music. And after he KO's someone, he celebrates with Maya or something but then Athena calls him to do his real job as an actual lawyer and that's when they announce AA7 and show gameplay/trailers about the characters and story of AA7.
I'll be ecstatic if I'm anywhere close to what they do when they hopefully announce Phoenix.

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982
I don't think Sakurai or Nintendo will want to do that for another company.

Yes I know they did it for Dragon Quest, but that was a game already announced and separate from the reveal. Capcom could do the same here, I suppose.

Last edited:

Leotsune

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Leotsune
Imagine if instead of AA7 they announce DGS3.
Of course its VERY unlikely since DGS2 didn't sell that well (Even though a lot of people say DGS2 is the best game in the series).
Personally I think they will just release the second trilogy.

TheYungLink

Smash Lord
Of course its VERY unlikely since DGS2 didn't sell that well (Even though a lot of people say DGS2 is the best game in the series).
Hmm, just like another currently-Japan-exclusive AA game that's a sequel that released very late into a video game system's lifespan.

Korar

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW-5170-5706-7228
So, here is something i thought would be neat: Assuming phoenix got the courtroom as his stage (Which he almost certainly would) what would you all think about his stage changing appearance depending on the music, like mementos? Like, original trilogy music = original trilogy style court, Apollo Justice/Dual Destinies = Dual Destinies style court, and Spirit of Justice music = Khura'in style court.

i don't imagine sakurai and his team would re-use mementos's gimmick so soon, but i still think it would be pretty neat. what do you all think?

Call_Me_Red

Smash Journeyman
So, here is something i thought would be neat: Assuming phoenix got the courtroom as his stage (Which he almost certainly would) what would you all think about his stage changing appearance depending on the music, like mementos? Like, original trilogy music = original trilogy style court, Apollo Justice/Dual Destinies = Dual Destinies style court, and Spirit of Justice music = Khura'in style court.

i don't imagine sakurai and his team would re-use mementos's gimmick so soon, but i still think it would be pretty neat. what do you all think?
I think it'd be more like the Gamer stage. In the background there's a non-descript trial going on, and every once in a while either Phoenix or one of his rivals will gain the advantage, and once you hear that magic "Objection!!!" everyone not in a safe zone takes massive damage. Maybe if you're on the "winning" side of the screen you're safe, otherwise you're not.

Leotsune

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Leotsune
Well, in Mementos is important to have that change because of how prominent are the aesthetics of each game.
But I'd rather have a more simplistic, competitive viable stage, imagine Cornered playing on a grand finals.

Sonsa

Smash Champion
Yeah, I'd love for the Courtroom to be legal! :4pacman:

And also, yeah, those are possible and cool! My favorite alt courtroom look is definitely the Bombed Courtroom from Dual Destinies, it's really cool and maybe they could use it here? Would probably fit better in a vsCapcom game, hope it gets used somewhere!

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
Well, in Mementos is important to have that change because of how prominent are the aesthetics of each game.
But I'd rather have a more simplistic, competitive viable stage, imagine Cornered playing on a grand finals.
Yeah, I'd love for the Courtroom to be legal! :4pacman:

And also, yeah, those are possible and cool! My favorite alt courtroom look is definitely the Bombed Courtroom from Dual Destinies, it's really cool and maybe they could use it here? Would probably fit better in a vsCapcom game, hope it gets used somewhere!
The only stage that is legal even if banned.

I kinda imagined a simple layout, kinda like Stadium 2 (the platforms being "stands"). In the Hazard version, maybe we could get the Judge from Phoenix's nightmare to show up every now and then in place of the real Judge and whack the stage with a giant hammer, dealing area damage and tripping people who are on the floor? Thought that could be an interesting hazard.

Sonsa

Smash Champion
The only stage that is legal even if banned.

I kinda imagined a simple layout, kinda like Stadium 2 (the platforms being "stands"). In the Hazard version, maybe we could get the Judge from Phoenix's nightmare to show up every now and then in place of the real Judge and whack the stage with a giant hammer, dealing area damage and tripping people who are on the floor? Thought that could be an interesting hazard.
Ooh, or maybe the Judge calls for order and when he slams his gavel it has a strong Pow Block effect on everyone? And you can sorta tell when it'll happen cause the debate will get heated and the gallery will chat!

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend

This would be pretty neat but I'm not sure if they'd do it, sounds like a lot of work.

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
Another idea, there's a nondescript trial going on and the defense bench is an alphas situation, if Phoenix isn't in battle he shows up on the defense bench but if he is in battle it's someone else.

Northadox

Smash Apprentice
So what would happen if Phoenix got in and he was top tier? What would people be whining about if he was dominating the competitive scene?
"Nick is stupid overpowered. Stepladder is such a BS up special and Maya is such a ridiculous disjoint. When he has evidence, he's literally the most broken character in Smash history, making even Brawl Meta Knight blush."

Last edited:

Korar

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW-5170-5706-7228
So what would happen if Phoenix got in and he was top tier? What would people be whining about if he was dominating the competitive scene?
"Nick is stupid overpowered. Stepladder is such a BS up special and Maya is such a ridiculous disjoint. When he has evidence, he's literally the most broken character in Smash history, making even Brawl Meta Knight blush."
I would probably still main him without any regret, and make all my friends cry.

Sonsa

Smash Champion
Yeah, I'll be playing Nick even if he's the worst character in Smash history or the best, getting more hate than Bayo. If he's really broken, I'll support banning him, but I don't really go to tournaments so...hmm...

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
I would laugh evilly.

Looma

Smash Journeyman
Phoenix Wright of all characters being the super broken one would be so funny that I wouldn't be mad. Truly no one escapes the law.

Last edited:

Leotsune

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Leotsune
Phoenix Wright of all characters being the super broken one would be so funny that I wouldn't be mad. Truly no one escapes the law.
Except Yoshi, that's why if I see Yoshi showing up in a direct I will immediately assume its Phoenix Wright coming to Smash.

Top Bottom