• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

TAKE THAT! Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney smashes the prosecution!

MissingGlitch

Smash Master
Whats really weird is that most people would say that Edgeworth would make for an easy echo at face value. But there are enough differences in personality and animations that it would make it unfitting. But then again Ken is an echo in Ultimate but he is so vastly different to Ryu.

Last edited:

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
Haha, I like all this speculative talk about Wright's potential attack animations. I really hope his character, if in Smash, would go all in with all kinds impractical weapons/maneuvers for attacks. I don't know much of UMvC3 Wright, but I believe one of his aerials is him sneezing, and I feel like wacky, ineffective things like that would give him lots of flavor. Maybe his down tilt could be his signature desk slam, with a spontaneously appearing/disappearing bench to match, which creates a shockwave that knocks people into the air?

I'd personally rather have these references in the forms of palette swap costumes, like how Luigi references Waluigi with purple clothes, but nothing further. Animations that would fit Wright's character wouldn't work as well if you model swapped Edgeworth or Apollo onto them imo.
Yeah, him and Maya switching colors together to form matching pairs in alternate colors is an interesting idea.

Think of things like... Apollo and Athena, Godot and Mia, maybe Edgeworth and Ema Skye?

THE SLOTH

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-6683-7510-3712
Yeah, him and Maya switching colors together to form matching pairs in alternate colors is an interesting idea.

Think of things like... Apollo and Athena, Godot and Mia, maybe Edgeworth and Ema Skye?
I just got a morbidly dark idea for an alt... Terry Fawles colored Wright, and Dahlia Hawthorne colored Maya.

MissingGlitch

Smash Master
However. You just know they are going to make you fight Nick for Edgeworth's spirit battle. And we will all laugh how they play nothing alike.

Last edited:

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
I'd figure Phoenix's alts would just be similar to the ones from MVC3

1. Phoenix and Maya
2. Edgeworth and Kay
3. Apollo and Athena
4. Godot and Mia
5. Ryunosuke and Susato
6. Gumshoe and Maggey
7. Ghost trick reference
8. Hobonick and young trucy

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982
Personally I do not think Maya will be a part of the moveset, unless they come as a duo similarly to Ice Climbers.

I suppose it could happen. Maya has a few abilities of her own. Spiritual powers could explain the recovery if they do not go the Mr. Hat way. And another dual fighter is something we haven't had since Melee.

MissingGlitch

Smash Master
Personally I do not think Maya will be a part of the moveset, unless they come as a duo similarly to Ice Climbers.

I suppose it could happen. Maya has a few abilities of her own. Spiritual powers could explain the recovery if they do not go the Mr. Hat way. And another dual fighter is something we haven't had since Melee.
I always pictured Maya cheering in the background Pokemon Trainer style.

Northadox

Smash Apprentice
If it means anything, I found this poll off of another site (taken post-E3) that asked the users to vote for whomever characters they'd like most in Smash Ultimate. Phoenix was pretty much in third place for most of it, besides an "other" option...and Doomguy. He now rests in 4th place, two shy of Crash Bandicoot, with a total of 278 votes (of course it'll probably change after I've reposted it but hey what are you gonna do). Phoenix seems to me like the most popular Capcom rep in the Smash community at this point, and he's always placed pretty high on polls.
https://www.strawpoll.me/18164750

Last edited:

TemporalShrew

Smash Journeyman
If it means anything, I found this poll off of another site (taken post-E3) that asked the users to vote for whomever characters they'd like most in Smash Ultimate. Phoenix was pretty much in third place for most of it, besides an "other" option...and Doomguy. He now rests in 4th place, two shy of Crash Bandicoot, with a total of 278 votes (of course it'll probably change after I've reposted it but hey what are you gonna do). Phoenix seems to me like the most popular Capcom rep in the Smash community at this point, and he's always placed pretty high on polls.
https://www.strawpoll.me/18164750
And he's now back in third. I don't know if it was due to our influence, but I doubt it - I, for one, didn't vote, at least.

This is good, though. Now, of course, perhaps the site from which these numbers were taken is biased toward Phoenix in some way, but even disregarding that, it's excellent for us that the only concrete character above him is Doom Slayer.

Firstly, because I'd also like Doom Slayer in Smash.

But more importantly, because he has such an infinitesimal chance of making the cut, being from a Western company and from a game notorious for ultra-violence, at that, as well as one with no significant presence, historically, on Nintendo platforms. Given the choice between that and a character from a charming mystery series with an almost two-decade relationship with Nintendo and vocal fan support, on loan from a company which has shown itself to be extremely cooperative with the Smash team... I think we'd have pretty good odds.

And that's to say nothing of the fact that there are still two available slots for DLC fighters, so nothing is stopping both Doom Slayer and Phoenix from getting in (not that I think such a combination is likely).

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend

I was just thinking the moveset would take inspiration from MVC where Maya would pop up in some of Phoenix's moves and even show up in his victory animation.

I thought this would make sense seeing as the other DLC newcomers we've had in ultimate all bring along other characters, Joker, Morgana and arsene, the DQ heroes and a slime and banjo kazooie

KirbyMonadoBoy

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Shulkinator
So question for all of you. Would you prefer Phoenix have alt skins of outfits he wore in game. Or would you prefer The Hero approach and have his alt skins be different characters. If you want it to be different characters, what characters would you pick as Alt skins?

I only ask because it doesn't look like fighter pass characters are going to get echos. So I want to see if people prefer having more representation of characters in the form of skins or just the one character.
Actually, I just had the same idea. And the more I think about it, the more I like the idea of Phoenix coming along with several other characters just like the Hero. Well, previously I had the idea that we'll only get Phoenix and his 7 alts are color schemes based on Edgeworth, Apollo, Athena, Mia and Maya + T&T Pink Feenie & AJ Hobo Phoenix outfit. However, now I think I would even prefer the Hero-approach, 4 different characters fit in 1 character slot: Phoenix + Feenie Outfit, Apollo + DD School Uniform Apollo, Athena + DD School Uniform Athena, Edgeworth + Young Edgeworth.

Let's be honest, the chance of getting other characters apart from Phoenix in Smash as a unique slot is as slim as the chance of Larry having a long lasting relationship. Getting those 4 main characters all as part of one Ace Attorney character slot is a different story, though. All 4 have about the same size and figure. You could still give them different voicelines, just like what the koopalings got. This would be sooooo huge to be able to play any of your favourite Ace Attorney characters in Smash Bros and I would really love to see that.

Last edited:

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982
Apollo being a costume would be misrepresenting the character.

Edgeworth at least makes some sense, due to using the Magatama himself, but Phoenix's stances and poses would not fit his confident demeanor in court/battle.

The heroes work because they are blank slates forthe most part. Apollo and Edgeworth have established personalities, abilities, and mannerisms.

Northadox

Smash Apprentice
Agreeing on keeping Phoenix separate from other AA characters. You'd have to really make the character rather plain to cram all of those characters into one slot, sacrificing the unique personality that Nick himself could have. The alts of Hero are blank slates, so it makes more sense for that character.

Flyboy

Smash Hero
So, I just learned that in the HD Trilogy files the famous TnT Double Objection with English voices is in! It always confused me that it was unvoiced in English despite being voiced in Japanese. I haven't played the TnT HD remake fully - does anyone know if it's finally voiced in the English version, or does the clip go unused again?

Handy Man

Smash Ace
So, I just learned that in the HD Trilogy files the famous TnT Double Objection with English voices is in! It always confused me that it was unvoiced in English despite being voiced in Japanese. I haven't played the TnT HD remake fully - does anyone know if it's finally voiced in the English version, or does the clip go unused again?
When I played through the trilogy on the Switch in English, there were no double Objection voice clips. I didn't know it was in the Japanese version though, that definitely makes the scene more satisfying.

Flyboy

Smash Hero
When I played through the trilogy on the Switch in English, there were no double Objection voice clips. I didn't know it was in the Japanese version though, that definitely makes the scene more satisfying.
Yeah, back in the day it was a point of contention that it was unvoiced in English and just had the sound effect. Weird that they have the clip in the trilogy's files but don't actually use it.

Still, it's nice it exists officially now.

THE SLOTH

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-6683-7510-3712
As someone who's only played the original trilogy through their DS releases (got them preowned at a GameStop), for some reason it slipped my mind that the Double Objection didn't have the voice clip. That's pretty strange looking back on it.

On a similar but seperate note, in the wake of all this hoping for Wright in Smash hype, I got back into regularly playing the AA games with my older sister, who, while not much a video gamer and can only really grasp party games, is a big fan of crime/murder dramas and mysteries. She's been liking the games thus far, we just finished Justice for All the other night, and pretty soon we'll be starting on Trials and Tribulations. Even if Wright was to be announced in September, theoretically, I don't think we'd even be at Spirit of Justice yet considering our pace, especially if after T&T we decide to do the Investigations games before Apollo Justice and onwards.

3DSNinja

Smash Lord
Alright, I finished the first 2 cases in Ace Attorney.
Had to use a guide to cross-examine White, but that was it!
Loving the game so far!

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Alright, I finished the first 2 cases in Ace Attorney.
Had to use a guide to cross-examine White, but that was it!
Loving the game so far!
glad you enjoyed it, i feel they just get better and better

Last edited:

Jovahexeon Joranvexeon

Smash Champion
Where is it filed???? Does the trilogy come with a sound voice hub of sorts?

Flyboy

Smash Hero
Why tehy didn't use this? Or is it on the Switch version?
Could have been an accidental oversight. In the original Japanese DS release the moment was voiced but in English it only had the sound effect, and I don't know if that was due to memory issues or whatever. But clearly they meant to add it and apparently just didn't. If anyone knows if it was added to the 3DS or Switch version that'd be great, but hey as a longtime fan it's pretty awesome to finally have an official English version of it.

TemporalShrew

Smash Journeyman
Could have been an accidental oversight. In the original Japanese DS release the moment was voiced but in English it only had the sound effect, and I don't know if that was due to memory issues or whatever. But clearly they meant to add it and apparently just didn't. If anyone knows if it was added to the 3DS or Switch version that'd be great, but hey as a longtime fan it's pretty awesome to finally have an official English version of it.
Well, I'm on the last case of JFA in my current original trilogy playthrough on the Switch, at the moment, so uh, I guess I'll be getting to the bottom of this sooner or later.

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom
Right now I am getting my friend to play the Ace Attorney trilogy for the Switch. While I stayed up all night transcribing an interview, we played the game. Finished the first three cases. He loves the game so much so far. He was shocked Mia died so early (I ain't spoilering that it literally happens 30 minutes in). He loves Edgeworth so far. We just started case 1-4, and he is hooked.

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982
Man, I wish I could get my friends to play Ace Attorney...
It's a tough sell to a lot of people, but if they value simple but engaging gameplay and character building they should give it a go.

Sonsa

Smash Champion
Everyone I've gotten into it really likes it, but I don't think I've gotten anyone to rush into it with hype yet haha
I tend to highlight how it's made me cry with tragedy and comedy and balances both really well with lovable teasing and chilling reveals! Plus great music, I might play some for people, and they love the tracks!
Most people seem to fear it's just some legal paperwork lawyer simulator, so highlighting how tense things can be while also mentioning how dumb things can be seems the way to go in interesting people, but it seems generally, people will get interested and try it someday, no one really rushes into it.

Guess I can't think of many games rushed into though...but nah, there definitely are! I mean, I got Danganronpa for my birthday and kinda put it off for months, but as soon as I started playing I was like oh! If someone told me the premise I would have started immediately!

Geoffrey Druyts

Smash Ace
3DS FC
1993-7715-4423
Switch FC
SW-6723-8387-1403
So I've got an interesting topic to talk about.

If Phoenix Wright were to get in Smash, do you guys think we'll have a chance of seeing spirits from Ace Attorney Investigations 2, The Great Ace Attorney and The Great Ace Attorney 2? They're 3 games released exclusively in Japan, but that hasn't stopped other games from appearing from Ultimate like, well, Mother 3 obviously.

So do you guys think we'll have some sort of representation from these 3 games?

Flyboy

Smash Hero

If Phoenix Wright were to get in Smash, do you guys think we'll have a chance of seeing spirits from Ace Attorney Investigations 2, The Great Ace Attorney and The Great Ace Attorney 2? They're 3 games released exclusively in Japan, but that hasn't stopped other games from appearing from Ultimate like, well, Mother 3 obviously.

Unfortunately, we'd be lucky if we got anything outside of the original trilogy, let alone the spin-offs. Like maybe we'd get Athena and Apollo, possibly Trucy.

I want to be wrong, though. I would hope they'd just use the Japanese character names if they used AAI2 people because I don't know what I'd do if my boy wasn't named Raymond Shields.

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend

The only one I see happening is a Ryunosuke spirit since he's the protagonist of Dai gyakuten saiban.

Speaking of Dai Gyakuten saiban. Just got a copy of the second game. The second time I've ever imported a videogame
20190625_135225.jpg

Last edited:

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982

Investigations? No chance. It's a spin off.
Apollo Justice and beyond? I think there's a chance of spirits and music. It's not like those games are disliked among the fan base.

Last edited:

Leotsune

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Leotsune
Apollo Justice and beyond? I think there's a chance of spirits and music. It's not like those games are disliked among the fan base.
There is music from Mega Man X and Star Force in Smash, being a spin-off isn't an issue.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
I think we would get Kay though. She's kind of a big deal in the Investigations games and a well received character. Shi-Long Lang is a possibility, but his role is really diminished in 2, so I wouldn't bet on it.

StormC

Smash Hero
I've been thinking about Phoenix Wright in Smash lately. Played the original trilogy and really enjoyed them many years ago.

One important question.

...what would they use for his up B? I draw a blank on that one.

Top Bottom