• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

TAKE THAT! Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney smashes the prosecution!

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
I doubt that the next two characters will be as hype as Hero (for Japan) and Banjo (long-tine demand). Smash 4 also followed Ryu - the grandfather of fighting games - with Corrin and Bayonetta. Bayonetta strikes me as similar to Phoenix: people know they exist, but may not have played their games yet.
Pretty much this really. As I said, Smash usually prioritizes heavy hitters first or in the middle. Especially if you have something like the fighters pass going on. Then you're better off revealing the bigger guns first. If people still aren't convinced to purchase the fighters pass after that, then its doubtful that the last ones would be any different. Especially since they can just purchase them separately at that point.

So I think this bodes well for characters with less vocal support bases.

Ironically I feel his biggest competition outside of Resident Evil is Professor Layton himself. Layton and Nick are both popular DS era icons and puzzle/adventure icons that share a similar demographic. I'd love both and if I had to pick I'd go with Phoenix of course but if Layton is next it probably spells doom. But again, much like Leon or Jill, I'd accept that defeat graciously as Layton has earned it just as much as Phoenix in my eye. But I still pray for that dual reveal.

By the way I finally watched your video! Super funny and fun, and great moveset!
The only way I would see it as doom for Phoenix, is if they did like Ryu's trailer and revealed a Phoenix Mii costume at the end of his trailer. But besides that, I don't think their in any real competition with each other, especially since their owned by different companies (Sakurai also wanted to include both Ryu and Heihachi but couldn't due to not being able to translate Heihachi's playstyle in Smash, so it would be more due to potential moveset issues, not because he had to choose between the two.) and Level-5 and Capcom have been huge buddies with each other. If anything, I could see them both trying to convince Nintendo and Sakurai to include both characters into the game if possible and maybe even give them a dual reveal at that.

Last edited:

Ezclapper

Smash Apprentice
Hey, I never used this thread but I’d just like to say Phoenix is like the #1 character i’ve wanted in smash ever since I saw him in MvC3. He’s the character I voted for in the ballot and I think he would be such a great pick, I never thought he had this much support to possibly make him a reality. Can’t wait to see if one of the last two fighters is our favorite attorney :>.

Sonsa

Smash Champion
I doubt any company is getting two characters in this pass, no matter how different their series may be. Square have a 4-in-1 choice and I think that is that for them.
Agreed, I don't expect any other Square character, but Sora is owned entirely by Disney. I'm sure they'd chat with Nomura and ask for some help from Square, but they still wouldn't be legally involved, I guess!
...and yet we got Piranha Plant. I think he was just messing around.
He didn't include joke characters in last game's DLC and he could, but I don't think he'd do it here either. Not that Bandanna Dee's a joke character, but, seems Sakurai doesn't take him that seriously and I'm just guessin he's happy with Kirby representation and wants to branch out instead.

Layton, huh? I mean, hey, I wouldn't be opposed, but...I wouldn't consider him a threat? Maybe I should visit the thread and see his case!

THE SLOTH

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-6683-7510-3712
Have never used any character support threads before, but figured I might as well on the tail end of Hero's and Banjo & Kazooie's reveal at E3. I started playing the games back in 2016 and loved them ever since, Phoenix would honestly be one of my dream characters if he got in. I think he could be as to Hero for the East and Banjo for the West how Bayonetta was to Cloud and Ryu in Sm4sh. Not a contender with a huge following, but of a bit of a niche pick that could reveal more people to their games.

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
Agreed, I don't expect any other Square character, but Sora is owned entirely by Disney. I'm sure they'd chat with Nomura and ask for some help from Square, but they still wouldn't be legally involved, I guess!

He didn't include joke characters in last game's DLC and he could, but I don't think he'd do it here either. Not that Bandanna Dee's a joke character, but, seems Sakurai doesn't take him that seriously and I'm just guessin he's happy with Kirby representation and wants to branch out instead.

Layton, huh? I mean, hey, I wouldn't be opposed, but...I wouldn't consider him a threat? Maybe I should visit the thread and see his case!
Eh, threat might be too strong to describe it. However, since they are in similar genres of video games, that probably means that it would be one or the other for DLC. Sure, we got two JRPG characters, but I doubt that sort of thing would happen again.

Flyboy

Smash Hero
Eh, threat might be too strong to describe it. However, since they are in similar genres of video games, that probably means that it would be one or the other for DLC. Sure, we got two JRPG characters, but I doubt that sort of thing would happen again.
Yeah, that's exactly my point. Threat is a strong word but the two characters appeal to similar demographics and Nintendo has said they want to appeal to as many people as possible with the variety in the pass.

Last edited:

Sonsa

Smash Champion
Yeaaah...worrying Resident Evil is a demographic they wanna go after too... uuugh, I'm not feeling so sure anymooore... Tsk, whatever! September, hopefully we'll see AA7 and uhhhh.......yeah!!! And oh, by the way, Flyboy Flyboy thanks so much, glad you enjoyed!! I'm real curious about fav and least fav parts if I ever make a similar vid in the future, like some buddy of mine loooves the spirit/music part while other buddies think I should lose it! But yeah, don't feel a need to answer, I just can't help being curious haha

Edit: Y'know! No! After seeing Banjo, and yeah, even Dragon Quest guys, it shows that the crew definitely still cares about the ballot, what fans would like! Sure Resident Evil is popular and all that, but...maybe I haven't seen enough, but I really can't even remember the last time I saw a Resident Evil character pop up in any fan poll? And Phoenix can offer a more unique style, while Resident Evil is a contender, nahhh, nahhh...Phoenix is definitely the Capcom choice! ...I'm ganna keep telling myself that!

Last edited:

Sonsa

Smash Champion
I know this is super petty, but every DLC character (so far) has a different colored background...Plant Green, Joker Red, and The Hero has purple. Banjo doesn't have one yet, but since The Hero's "coming summer" message is purple, and Banjo's "coming fall" is yellowey-orange, it's safe to say Banjo's background will be yellowey-orange and so uhh... No one has a blue background yet which will be perfect for Phoenix...!!!
dlc fighters.png

TemporalShrew

Smash Journeyman
I know this is super petty, but every DLC character (so far) has a different colored background...Plant Green, Joker Red, and The Hero has purple. Banjo doesn't have one yet, but since The Hero's "coming summer" message is purple, and Banjo's "coming fall" is yellowey-orange, it's safe to say Banjo's background will be yellowey-orange and so uhh... No one has a blue background yet which will be perfect for Phoenix...!!!View attachment 227908
Oh yeah, that little color theory - think I saw something about that going around recently. Y'know, someone mentioned earlier that Phoenix fits into pretty much all of the probably-reaching fan theories, and they were totally right. I know it's not "real" evidence or anything, but it's going to be irritating on a purely-selfish level if alllll of that turns out to be coincidence.

Last edited:

THE SLOTH

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-6683-7510-3712
Oh yeah, that little color theory - think I saw something about that going around recently. Y'know, someone mentioned earlier that Phoenix fits into pretty much all of the probably-reaching fan theories, and they were totally right. I know it's not "real" evidence or anything, but it's going to be irritating on a purely-selfish level if alllll of that turns out to be coincidence.

The color theory, the companion theory, and the costume theory. All three line-up with me, and it's no doubt more than a coincidence!

Based on this evidence, the defense asserts that they will, without a doubt, be joining Super Smash Bros. Ultimate as a playable fighter!

Wright... where did you find that evidence?

On the internet, of course. Everything you read on the internet is true, after all.

... Right?

TemporalShrew

Smash Journeyman

The color theory, the companion theory, and the costume theory. All three line-up with me, and it's no doubt more than a coincidence!

Based on this evidence, the defense asserts that they will, without a doubt, be joining Super Smash Bros. Ultimate as a playable fighter!

Wright... where did you find that evidence?

On the internet, of course. Everything you read on the internet is true, after all.

... Right?
One: This is absolutely perfect.

Two: As an aside, I was thinking, and how do we all feel about Phoenix's Final Smash being... The Steel Samurai? The Steel Samurai is one of the most significant gags in PW, and especially in the original games, and I feel like the pure hype generated by him showing up, hitting a fighter/fighters, and slicing and dicing them while his theme song plays in the background in a cutscene is exactly the sort of thing Sakurai would go for.

Sonsa

Smash Champion
"Bah, coincidence!"
"Yes, but multiple coincidences...seems more like a pattern..."
I do think it's all coincidence, I mean aesthetically sure, they should all have different backgrounds, but Banjo's could have been blue, ...but it wasn't...and I actually think it's cause blue suits someone better... But whatever! Companion?? Nahhh...costume? Maybe, but since I'm not expecting a Namco character, I expect the Namco costumes to be lumped in with Banjo or hey, even come along with The Hero, Square only has Geno and Chocobo costumes from 4? So yeah, some new DQ ones, aaand you can lump Lloyd Irving and...hey wait... didn't some Sega costumes get left behind like Jacky? Huh...

ANYWAY!!! Yeah! Probably coincidence! ...except for the color stuff, they coulda put blue, but they didn't and it's cause...Phoenix... YUP!!!

Edit:
how do we all feel about Phoenix's Final Smash being... The Steel Samurai?
It's an option! I would personally prefer something more personal, something Phoenix and his buds can do, I think Steel Samurai would make a perfect Mii Costume!

Last edited:

THE SLOTH

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-6683-7510-3712
One: This is absolutely perfect.

Two: As an aside, I was thinking, and how do we all feel about Phoenix's Final Smash being... The Steel Samurai? The Steel Samurai is one of the most significant gags in PW, and especially in the original games, and I feel like the pure hype generated by him showing up, hitting a fighter/fighters, and slicing and dicing them while his theme song plays in the background in a cutscene is exactly the sort of thing Sakurai would go for.
One: Thank you!

Two: I personally think a cinematic Final Smash with a bit of one of the Cornered themes playing would be perfect, maybe Phoenix making a bunch of points that do bits of damage before the Judge deals the final blow, declaring them "Guilty" and sending them flying? I mean, in the context of the fight itself, it might not make a lot of sense, but I still think it would be plenty goofy, fun, and represent well one of the biggest power trips you can get from the games when you finally nail a culprit down.

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
One: Thank you!

Two: I personally think a cinematic Final Smash with a bit of one of the Cornered themes playing would be perfect, maybe Phoenix making a bunch of points that do bits of damage before the Judge deals the final blow, declaring them "Guilty" and sending them flying? I mean, in the context of the fight itself, it might not make a lot of sense, but I still think it would be plenty goofy, fun, and represent well one of the biggest power trips you can get from the games when you finally nail a culprit down.
Really I think anything makes sense in the context of a Smash fight.

On another note, I'm so ready for another Ace Attorney experience. I'm starting to get OBJECTION!!! withdrawal symptoms. :p

TemporalShrew

Smash Journeyman

On another note, I'm so ready for another Ace Attorney experience. I'm starting to get OBJECTION!!! withdrawal symptoms. :p
I'm replaying the entire series at the moment for precisely this reason. It would probably be better to play it closer to the fall to build up potential hype, but I need my fix, man.

MissingGlitch

Smash Master

Just play the first three games again. Capcom keeps releasing them for a reason right? :4pacman:

TemporalShrew

Smash Journeyman
NEW THEORY! I call this one "Time-Sink Theory."

Clearly the reason we haven't seen Phoenix Wright appear yet as DLC is that Sakurai is busy playing through all of the Ace Attorney games in his free time, scouring them for references to include in his move-set. ZVARRI! The truth has once again been elegantly revealed to me!

Bobthealligator

Smash Ace
Have never used any character support threads before, but figured I might as well on the tail end of Hero's and Banjo & Kazooie's reveal at E3. I started playing the games back in 2016 and loved them ever since, Phoenix would honestly be one of my dream characters if he got in. I think he could be as to Hero for the East and Banjo for the West how Bayonetta was to Cloud and Ryu in Sm4sh. Not a contender with a huge following, but of a bit of a niche pick that could reveal more people to their games.
I think you may be underestimating the power of the meme, the games may not be that popular but the character is insanely popular in meme culture and I don't think anyone would not know who he was or where he came from if he got in. Unlike Joker and Bayonetta.

Aeon_Shadow

Smash Journeyman
I REALLY think Sora never had a chance to begin with, due to how much Disney has its franchises by the balls. Also the last thing I want is them pulling an MVC Infinite and micro-managing everything about Sora that it screws up the entire game in the process.

Count me in too in wanting Phoenix.

Sonsa

Smash Champion
Yeaaah, Sora seems to have everything, but being owned by Disney is real worrisome...if anyone can do it, it's the Smash team, buuut...I dunno, is being owned by Disney enough to rule em out? I just don't know, and if he's out of the way, then wow, cause like...we have K.Rool, Ridley, Banjo, and characters like Geno and Waluigi are pretty much deconfirmed. Sora was kind of the last huuuge one, hmm... all day today I've been on and off struggling with the actual list of competition in Wright's way and like... it's very tough...!! Characters like Crash, Layton, and some Resident Evil might make it, but due to multiple things including sheer fan demand, it just seems like Wright's got em beat.

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982
NEW THEORY! I call this one "Time-Sink Theory."

Clearly the reason we haven't seen Phoenix Wright appear yet as DLC is that Sakurai is busy playing through all of the Ace Attorney games in his free time, scouring them for references to include in his move-set. ZVARRI! The truth has once again been elegantly revealed to me!
Makes sense. He was probably stuck at the vase in Rise from the Ashes for a good day or two.

MissingGlitch

Smash Master
Makes sense. He was probably stuck at the vase in Rise from the Ashes for a good day or two.
Oh gosh I completely forgot that Sakurai plays every game of a character to get inspiration on how to make the moveset and personality. Buckle up ladies and gentlemen we might be waiting awhile for Nick to come out.

Gameboi834

Smash Lord
NNID
Gameboi834
Speaking of vases, can we get dropping a certain blue vase with pink paint as a dash attack, a la Villager's dash attack?

Ezclapper

Smash Apprentice
One thing that has been worrying me about Phoenix not getting in is because Capcom got Ken in the base game and I don't know if they would have a Capcom character for the last 2 DLC slots.

THE SLOTH

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-6683-7510-3712
One thing that has been worrying me about Phoenix not getting in is because Capcom got Ken in the base game and I don't know if they would have a Capcom character for the last 2 DLC slots.
Possibly, but in Smash 4, we got Mega Man in the base roster and Ryu as DLC, so I wouldn't worry about that stopping things.

TemporalShrew

Smash Journeyman
I'm a little bit worried about that as well, but he is only an echo fighter, to the extent that Sakurai even cracked a joke about it in his reveal, so he seems like more of a "bonus" pick than something disqualifying Capcom from getting another character for DLC.

If anything, the fact that Capcom is so remarkably cooperative with Nintendo - from the absurd number of Mega Man remixes and Spirits, to Rathalos being a boss - makes me pretty optimistic that they're the company most likely to get in on the DLC picks, especially when Sakurai has never said anything about not wanting to take too many characters from one company.

NSSKG151

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Lucaruto151RedX
3DS FC
1092-1616-4089
Switch FC
SW-4128-7335-9024
Really, I'm more worried that they will end up choosing a different Capcom character like someone from Resident Evil than them not putting in another Capcom rep for DLC.

I have always hated the fandom's mentality of how the Smash roster must have some kind of 'balance' to it whether it's Mario/Pokémon/Fire Emblem having too many reps because their precious Zelda/Metroid/etc. don't have as many playable reps as them or all Third Parties must have equal representation. I'm pretty sure Nintendo and the Smash Bros development team would ever make any arbitrary rule like that and Sakurai seems more interested in moveset potential than anything else.

I'm all for more for Capcom reps in Smash. Is it really their fault they have so many amazing franchises to choose from? Besides, I would like to nickname Super Smash Bros as Nintendo vs Capcom and Friends someday.

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982
Sakurai and his team pick who they want based on what they like or want to work with. The "reps" were never an issue otherwise every third party would be on equal footing right now.

Nintendo's involvement might alter the game a bit, but they don't care about who owns the character that way. They will in a business sense, but not in a childish "reps" perspective.

Last edited:

NSSKG151

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Lucaruto151RedX
3DS FC
1092-1616-4089
Switch FC
SW-4128-7335-9024
With a more traditional fighting game style? Or similar to smash bros?
I'd prefer the former tbh.
Ah, it was mostly a joke but if there ever was a real Capcom vs Nintendo game it would most likely be a more traditional fighting game like the other Capcom VS. games.

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom
I would love to see Phoenix myself, I just feel something from RE is more likely imo. Put me down as a supporter.

Is it sad I mainly want Phoenix since he would be really silly and the music would be godly? I want my swanky remix of The Fragrance of Dark Coffee.

D

Deleted member

Now that Steve is dead, it is time to root for my second most wanted.

I like Phoenix Wright. He is so cool and works well for Smash.

Top Bottom