• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

TAKE THAT! Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney smashes the prosecution!

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982
>Layton and Luke
>Phoenix and Maya

THEIR IN!
If they were ever two characters to reveal in the same trailer, those would be it.

Not sure what the relationship between Capcom and Level-5 is though...not that it may matter.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
If they were ever two characters to reveal in the same trailer, those would be it.

Not sure what the relationship between Capcom and Level-5 is though...not that it may matter.
Hino stated that he is close buddies with Capcom, especially ever since the Layton and Ace Attorney crossover. So it might work out if they both get chosen.
I could even see an animated trailer in the style of the original Professor Layton vs Ace Attorney crossover that could include them both.

Kinda like how Palutena's trailer was the one from her Revolting Dinner short.

THIS IS IT, THE FINAL DUAL REVEAL AND THE GREATEST TIMELINE
Definitely, plus would kinda be a coincidence with the base game final trailer, which was also a dual reveal (with a Capcom character to boot.)

Last edited:

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982
There is Mii costume theory going on that implies a Capcom and Namco character are the last two. This a theory due to Joker coming with SEGA attires, and the Smash 4 costumes being noticeably absent.

This theory is holding on to the possibility that Hero comes with Square ones (Geno, Chocobo, new ones) and the rest are kept for later.

Interesting theory, and if holds, it would appear that Resident Evil is the last obstacle for us. DMC is not happening this pass, and Monster Hunter receiving base game content without a fighter and the fact it has a costume to port over makes it unlikely for me.

Wunderwaft

Smash Master
There is Mii costume theory going on that implies a Capcom and Namco character are the last two. This a theory due to Joker coming with SEGA attires, and the Smash 4 costumes being noticeably absent.

This theory is holding on to the possibility that Hero comes with Square ones (Geno, Chocobo, new ones) and the rest are kept for later.

Interesting theory, and if holds, it would appear that Resident Evil is the last obstacle for us. DMC is not happening this pass, and Monster Hunter receiving base game content without a fighter and the fact it has a costume to port over makes it unlikely for me.
My current thoughts for a Capcom rep is that between RE and AA it's 50/50 and I think it can go either way. I like both franchises so I'll accept whoever gets in.

TemporalShrew

Smash Journeyman
Something occurred to me. That Resident Evil trailer in the Direct was suspiciously involved and, dare I say, seemed to have something of a budget. Suspicious in a trailer announcing two ports, no? Additionally, those ports are being announced at E3 for a Fall release schedule, well in advance - again, despite them being mere ports.

What's the over-under on this being set-up for them to say in a September Direct, "Oh hey, these two Resident Evil games are available on the e-shop right now! Oh, and just one more thing..."

Flyboy

Smash Hero
If we get a different Capcom rep, I want at least a Phoenix Mii costume with the suit and a wig. It'll be funny to see the brawler do his thing.

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982
If we get a different Capcom rep, I want at least a Phoenix Mii costume with the suit and a wig. It'll be funny to see the brawler do his thing.
Nah mii costume would be lame. Phoenix does not throw bowling balls or use traditional fighting moves.

In that event I would pass up on the pack.

Flyboy

Smash Hero
Nah mii costume would be lame. Phoenix does not throw bowling balls or use traditional fighting moves.

well that's just like your opinion man

I want to be optimistic. I want him in as a fighter. But **** man, any Phoenix is better than no Phoenix. Even a Spirit is better than what we have now.

Calamitas

Smash Champion

Not to mention that just the outfit would be pretty generic. While Nick has a lot of strenghts, an outstanding and easily recognizable outfit isn't one of them.

MissingGlitch

Smash Master
So all we are fearing is a Resident Evil rep huh. I wonder if we will ever get to the point where there is constant updates daily like the Banjo thread that builds up our hype.

No matter what anyone says, at the end of the day, the best way to announce Phoenix in my opinion would be to wrap the Direct, make the screen go dark, and...

This is the only way I would accept his reveal.

Last edited:

TemporalShrew

Smash Journeyman
So all we are fearing is a Resident Evil rep huh. I wonder if we will ever get to the point where there is constant updates daily like the Banjo thread that builds up our hype.

This is the only way I would accept his reveal.
I hope in a couple of months, our old friend Shinobi finds a completely random ResetEra thread about Phoenix and drops a cryptic hint with the word "smash" in it, so everyone here can lose their minds in anxiety for several weeks.

Leotsune

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Leotsune
If Banjo and Joker were in that list Nintendo gave Sakurai, makes me think that they are doing the DLC not just to promote stuff, but for the fans, and for the sake of having more diversity in the realm of Smash in general.
Now we know Microsoft was willing to let a character owned by them to be in Smash, but I doubt Banjo was the only option available, yet Sakurai chose him.
The same could apply to Capcom, they probably gave Nintendo a selection of their characters for Sakurai to pick one of them.
I'm confident Ace Attorney might have been in that list, the series is still alive, its well known/popular in Japan, its heavily associated with Nintendo consoles, and has a LOT of potential to grow here in the west thanks to Smash.
But well, this is just speculation, assuming Capcom gets a new rep in Smash, the choice Sakurai made is pretty obvious (Not really, im being bias).

Last edited:

TemporalShrew

Smash Journeyman
If Banjo and Joker were in that list Nintendo gave Sakurai, makes me think that they are doing the DLC not just to promote stuff, but for the fans, and for the sake of having more diversity in the realm of Smash in general.
Now we know Microsoft was willing to let a character owned by them to be in Smash, but I doubt Banjo was the only option available, yet Sakurai chose him.
The same could apply to Capcom, they probably gave Nintendo a selection of their characters for Sakurai to pick one of them.
I'm confident Ace Attorney might have been in that list, the series is still alive, its well known/popular in Japan, its heavily associated with Nintendo consoles, and has a LOT of potential to grow here in the west thanks to Smash.
But well, this is just speculation, assuming Capcom gets a new rep in Smash, the choice Sakurai made is pretty obvious (Not really, im being bias).
I think there are a lot of factors involved in who the Capcom rep is, if we get one.

One: How the list was generated. Did Nintendo alone look at a list of either upcoming releases or iconic/requested characters, and draft it that way, or did they discuss the potential options with each of the involved companies before giving it to Sakurai?

Two: If they did discuss the contents with other companies, what's Capcom's take? Would they rather have an established, lucrative franchise represented, like Resident Evil or Monster Hunter, or would they rather attempt to bolster sales, particularly abroad, for a long-standing franchise like Phoenix Wright, whose sales have been steady but on the low side per game?

Three: What's Sakurai himself think? This is a huge wildcard because Sakurai's tastes are extraordinarily diverse. He's on-record being impressed by at least one Resident Evil game and at least one Ace Attorney game, and he plays games on every system. Does he go with, say, Jill Valentine, because her move-set is pretty simple to draft, or does he go with Phoenix Wright, whose move-set is probably very rewarding but very complicated to come up with?

It's extremely hard to tell the exact criteria under consideration by all involved parties, so all we can do for now is pray the stars align for Phoenix.

Sonsa

Smash Champion
Before, Ace Attorney being so exclusive to Nintendo systems felt like...definitely a plus, but also not that big a deal with characters like Joker and Cloud making it in, but after yesterday's Banjo reveal and all the interviews of Microsoft reps and others agreeing that Banjo was born on Nintendo and is now home... Before I was pretty sure, but now personally, I have no doubts that if a Capcom character is making it, it's Phoenix.

"Back where they belong" "Spiritual home" sentiments like this noted in this interview: https://www.videogameschronicle.com/news/banjo-kazooies-creators-discuss-smash-bros-inclusion/

And even Phil Spencer acknowledging that Banjo was born on the Nintendo 64, making the deal much easier than for a character like Master Chief: https://kotaku.com/xbox-boss-phil-spencer-says-banjo-in-smash-was-an-easy-1835418742

Resident Evil was apparently born on the playstation and then ported to a Sega console, plus I personally don't think Resident Evil would be at home with Smash? Zombies and guns, not trying to be mean, the series can be plenty charming I'm sure, "Jill Sandwich" and all that, but it just doesn't seem...mmm..."whimsical" enough for Smash?

Dante is a popular choice, but the fact that Kamiya tweeted a poll to vote for who people might want in Smash after the DLC had already been decided is a clear deconfirm for me. Sure, he took it down soon enough, but if Dante was in I believe he'd be one of the first people to know, Smash reaches out to original creators after all... Well, maybe some Capcom business people knew first and then Kamiya found out later, but yeah, can't be sure, I guess.

Monster Hunter, I'm more personally guessing here, but...their creators flat out said "no" to their inclusion in MvC3 https://www.siliconera.com/2011/03/...-didnt-want-the-hunter-in-marvel-vs-capcom-3/ and I can't find an exact interview (ugh, their so old) but I kinda remember the reasoning being that since the character is so customizable, they didn't want to make a set version and demean other peoples' Hunters, I don't wanna spread misinformation, I don't have that evidence, but that memory is definitely effecting my feelings! And hey, maybe they changed their minds by MvCi, but with how lazy and money-driven that game is overall, Monster Hunter was a must (sold for 8 bucks even though being obviously ready for base roster) and I personally guess that Capcom twisted Monster Hunter creators arms a bit or begged or whatever to get them. SO!!! My point! Is that for Smash, and other similar appearances, the Monster Hunter creators would really prefer the Hunter not make an appearance at all. I think Sakurai respected that and Rathalos is perfect Monster Hunter representation enough that everyone could be happy with!

...so!!! That's why personally, I'm naively thinkin Phoenix ain't got thaaat much competition haha

Edit:
Does he go with, say, Jill Valentine, because her move-set is pretty simple to draft, or does he go with Phoenix Wright, whose move-set is probably very rewarding but very complicated to come up with?
If the choice comes down to something like that, I trust Sakurai to pick Phoenix, he prioritizes bringing something new to the series with each character! https://kotaku.com/smash-bros-creator-explains-how-characters-get-on-the-1644208199 It's very important to be unique. I'm sure you could make a Resident Evil moveset unique enough, I guess... (can you?) but no one outside the series can fight like an Ace Attorney!

Last edited:

TemporalShrew

Smash Journeyman
Before, Ace Attorney being so exclusive to Nintendo systems felt like...definitely a plus, but also not that big a deal with characters like Joker and Cloud making it in, but after yesterday's Banjo reveal and all the interviews of Microsoft reps and others agreeing that Banjo was born on Nintendo and is now home... Before I was pretty sure, but now personally, I have no doubts that if a Capcom character is making it, it's Phoenix.

"Back where they belong" "Spiritual home" sentiments like this noted in this interview: https://www.videogameschronicle.com/news/banjo-kazooies-creators-discuss-smash-bros-inclusion/

And even Phil Spencer acknowledging that Banjo was born on the Nintendo 64, making the deal much easier than for a character like Master Chief: https://kotaku.com/xbox-boss-phil-spencer-says-banjo-in-smash-was-an-easy-1835418742

Resident Evil was apparently born on the playstation and then ported to a Sega console, plus I personally don't think Resident Evil would be at home with Smash? Zombies and guns, not trying to be mean, the series can be plenty charming I'm sure, "Jill Sandwich" and all that, but it just doesn't seem...mmm..."whimsical" enough for Smash?

Dante is a popular choice, but the fact that Kamiya tweeted a poll to vote for who people might want in Smash after the DLC had already been decided is a clear deconfirm for me. Sure, he took it down soon enough, but if Dante was in I believe he'd be one of the first people to know, Smash reaches out to original creators after all... Well, maybe some Capcom business people knew first and then Kamiya found out later, but yeah, can't be sure, I guess.

Monster Hunter, I'm more personally guessing here, but...their creators flat out said "no" to their inclusion in MvC3 https://www.siliconera.com/2011/03/...-didnt-want-the-hunter-in-marvel-vs-capcom-3/ and I can't find an exact interview (ugh, their so old) but I kinda remember the reasoning being that since the character is so customizable, they didn't want to make a set version and demean other peoples' Hunters, I don't wanna spread misinformation, I don't have that evidence, but that memory is definitely effecting my feelings! And hey, maybe they changed their minds by MvCi, but with how lazy and money-driven that game is overall, Monster Hunter was a must (sold for 8 bucks even though being obviously ready for base roster) and I personally guess that Capcom twisted Monster Hunter creators arms a bit or begged or whatever to get them. SO!!! My point! Is that for Smash, and other similar appearances, the Monster Hunter creators would really prefer the Hunter not make an appearance at all. I think Sakurai respected that and Rathalos is perfect Monster Hunter representation enough that everyone could be happy with!

...so!!! That's why personally, I'm naively thinkin Phoenix ain't got thaaat much competition haha
This is probably a weird take, but I feel like Dante is... too similar to Joker? Sword + gunfighter with an acrobatic, Matrix-esque movement style, right down to Dante's most iconic iteration wearing a long leather coat? I mean, I know DMC is veeery different from Persona in its native context, but if Sakurai's going for diversity, I think Dante might be off the table.

Last edited:

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
To be honest I feel like with Joker being very gun-heavy, a Resident Evil character is kind of on the ropes, for variety's sake. I think we have the upper hand with most stuff (uniqueness, demand, Nintendo presence).

Then again maybe it's better to be the underdog for karma reasons. Who knows?

Sonsa

Smash Champion
This is probably a weird take, but I feel like Dante is... too similar to Joker? Sword + gunfighter with an acrobatic, Matrix-esque movement style, right down to Dante's most iconic iteration wearing a long leather coat? I mean, I know DMC is veeery different from Persona in its native context, but if Sakurai's going for diversity, I think Dante might be off the table.
Oh, don't worry, I've been saying this too... People are passionate about Dante and I don't want to be mean, so good luck, but yeah, he has soooo many moves, a unique moveset could be made, but it might be weird to get too creative since his main weapons are sword + guns which we have plenty of already...Joker is stylish, hope Dante fans enjoy him...!

Caladuz

Smash Apprentice
I hope in a couple of months, our old friend Shinobi finds a completely random ResetEra thread about Phoenix and drops a cryptic hint with the word "smash" in it, so everyone here can lose their minds in anxiety for several weeks.
I think that's a bit of a double edged sword. Sure I'd like to know earlier and be aboard the hype train, but it would be more exciting to have his reveal be more of a surprise (like Joker) than more expected (like erdrick/banjo).

MissingGlitch

Smash Master
Does anyone know how many spirits Capcom got? From what I am finding all they got was spirits for Megaman and Street Fighter. They didn’t get any extra franchises in as spirits like Sega and Konami did. Not even Monster Hunter got spirits. I was hoping there was a reason why Ace Attorney was left out for being so prominent on Nintendo systems but that doesn’t seem to be the case when Capcom is missing a lot outside of Megaman and Street Fighter with a very minor appearance from a Monster Hunter dragon.

How do you miss out on the opportunity of making Ace Attorney spirits when the jokes for that write themselves.

Last edited:

Leotsune

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Leotsune
Oh, don't worry, I've been saying this too... People are passionate about Dante and I don't want to be mean, so good luck, but yeah, he has soooo many moves, a unique moveset could be made, but it might be weird to get too creative since his main weapons are sword + guns which we have plenty of already...Joker is stylish, hope Dante fans enjoy him...!
About Dante, my friend and I (We're both huge DMC fans) were discussing about Dante being in Smash not long ago, and we reached the same conclusion, he would be a boring choice, the Devil Trigger works exactly like limit or rebels guard (And probably a have counter too), he would have Cloud's up-b, more guns, sadly there is almost nothing new or fresh Devil May Cry could bring into Smash.
Of course I'd love to hear devil trigger in smash but its not worth it IMO.

Last edited:

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Does anyone know how many spirits Capcom got? From what I am finding all they got was spirits for Megaman and Street Fighter. They didn’t get any extra franchises in as spirits like Sega and Konami did. Not even Monster Hunter got spirits. I was hoping there was a reason why Ace Attorney was left out for being so prominent on Nintendo systems but that doesn’t seem to be the case when Capcom is missing a lot outside of Megaman and Street Fighter with a very minor appearance from a Monster Hunter dragon.

How do you miss out on the opportunity of making Ace Attorney spirits when the jokes for that write themselves.
Isn't there a Rathalos Spirit for Monster Hunter?

I think more or less all third party companies with represented franchises (be it playable, boss or assist trophy) don't have any spirits of their other series.

With the exception being Ubisoft, Yacht club Games and Wayforward I think.

Last edited:

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
Honestly, I think one of the biggest things Phoenix has for himself is the fact that he's nowhere near being a fighting game character, yet has appeared in a fighting game before. This means he has a lot of unorthodox moveset potential, plus the extra stuff (idle animations, alternate costumes, etc). Interestingly enough, only Chris and Jill have this in MvC, but not Leon.

And while I have no doubt Sakurai would cook something up himself, having some details adjusted like that can be a plus imo.

Isn't there a Rathalos Spirit for Monster Hunter?

I think more or less all third party companies with represented franchises (be it playable, boss or assist trophy) don't have any spirits of their other series.

With the exception being Ubisoft, Yacht club Games and Wayforward I think.
There's also Koei Tecmo with Fatal Frame.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
There's also Koei Tecmo with Fatal Frame.
I would have said that they had an Assist Trophy at least, but I just remembered Shovel Knight was an Assist Trophy too.

Yeah you're right. Those four companies are in without any playable fighters. And Monster Hunter has a boss.

Last edited:

MissingGlitch

Smash Master
I would have said that they had an Assist Trophy at least, but I just remembered Shovel Knight was an Assist Trophy too.

Yeah you're right. Those four companies are in without any playable fighters. And Monster Hunter has a boss.
I just think it’s weird how supportive Capcom is of Smash but only with the franchises they currently have playable. Even monster hunter only has the dragon and maybe a spirit for that dragon.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
I just think it’s weird how supportive Capcom is of Smash but only with the franchises they currently have playable. Even monster hunter only has the dragon and maybe a spirit for that dragon.
I guess it probably has something to do for the same reasons of why all the third party Mii costumes where cut in the base game.
I guess they wanted to promote them for DLC later on, not sure...

Last edited:

NSSKG151

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Lucaruto151RedX
3DS FC
1092-1616-4089
Switch FC
SW-4128-7335-9024
I'm feeling good about Phoenix Wright's chances after yesterday's reveals. All the characters picked so far seems to have strong ties to Nintendo in some shape or form. Yes, even Joker makes sense to me since Atlus had a history of releasing a ton of their games on Nintendo systems and Persona characters are just more recognizable than the mainline SMT characters. Which makes me want to believe that having familiarity with Nintendo gives Wright an edge over Devil May Cry, Resident Evil and Monster Hunter. Really I think Wright's biggest competition is Amaterasu from Okami (though that might be because both Amaterasu and Wright give off that Nintendo vibe with their appearance).

I'm going to predict that if Wright (or any Capcom rep) is picked he will be next since I think TGS or a Fall Direct would be the best time to introduce him (bonus if the next Ace Attorney game is revealed around that time). I believe DLC #5 is going to be Bandai Namco or a first party character from Nintendo themselves.

Sonsa

Smash Champion
I'm also thinkin of the best way to announce Phoenix...Sakurai appreciates the charm old TGS presentations so I guess he'd hit up the old team that put those together...OR could use the current anime studio that did cutscenes for Dual Destinies and Spirit of Justice. Since Phoenix probably wouldn't be popping up in a battlefield, best if he has a trailer like Isabelle's where we think it's one of his own games instead. Probably be best after TGS and AA7 is announced (hopefully) so that during this direct or whatever when we see Ace Attorney we think "oh, it's his new game I guess" and then we go wait why is he in his retro design and WAIT the person on the stand right now is Yoshi??? And of course best if all this is after "we're done" "Objection" "one more thing" of course, of course

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
I'm also thinkin of the best way to announce Phoenix...Sakurai appreciates the charm old TGS presentations so I guess he'd hit up the old team that put those together...OR could use the current anime studio that did cutscenes for Dual Destinies and Spirit of Justice. Since Phoenix probably wouldn't be popping up in a battlefield, best if he has a trailer like Isabelle's where we think it's one of his own games instead. Probably be best after TGS and AA7 is announced (hopefully) so that during this direct or whatever when we see Ace Attorney we think "oh, it's his new game I guess" and then we go wait why is he in his retro design and WAIT the person on the stand right now is Yoshi??? And of course best if all this is after "we're done" "Objection" "one more thing" of course, of course
There was one fan trailer some time ago that showcased a "cutscene" where Phoenix seems to be in court. Turns out he's defending his inclusion in Smash, using Mega Man's presence (Ryu wasn't in yet) as evidence.

It was kinda amateurish in terms of editing, but the idea is actually really cool. Not to mention it is a really nice way to poke fun at Smash speculation circles, but I doubt they'd go for that. Then again, they used "big" jokes with Ridley and Duck Hunt jokes with Banjo, so maybe they are aware of some memes from the Smash community?

Last edited:

Sonsa

Smash Champion
There was one fan trailer some time ago that showcased a "cutscene" where Phoenix seems to be in court. Turns out he's defending his inclusion in Smash, using Mega Man's presence (Ryu wasn't in yet) as evidence.

It was kinda amateurish in terms of editing, but the idea is actually really cool. Not to mention it is a really nice way to poke fun at Smash speculation circles, but I doubt they'd go for that. Then again, they used "big" jokes with Ridley and Duck Hunt jokes with Banjo, so maybe they are aware of some memes from the Smash community?
Yeah, I've seen it, good stuff! But a bit dragged out for an actual reveal, once people realize he's in Smash it shouldn't take long to see the splash screen and get to gameplay! So some confusion into a sudden realization moment is best, as all the other trailers have done so far! But hey, anything is possible, would certainly feel like old-school TGS skits if they did it that way and kept people in anticipation while bustin out jokes! I think I saw one for Dual Destinies? Where everyone knew we'd talk about the new game but Oldbag took over Capcom and making people wait while she complained or something, I remember they pointed out that she still had to use old 2D art while they had all been updated haha

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend

Maybe a trial for Shulk where he gets mistaken for Little Mac? That would be funny.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
I think Phoenix's reveal would work best in a regular Nintendo Direct, as stated. The confusion aspect would probably work best for his reveal.
If its a Smash Direct, then its clear that its him and may drag his reveal out a bit due to how obvious it is.

Either that, or as a final psyche out, if Sakurai where to briefly lie about having revealed everything, and then getting a huge OBJECTION! thrown at him.

Either that, or a dual reveal with someone like Layton could work too as they can then just play off each other, much like the first reveal trailer for their crossover was like.

Last edited:

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
Maybe a trial for Shulk where he gets mistaken for Little Mac? That would be funny.
Oh ****.

Joker steals Yoshi's heart so he admits to committing tax fraud.

Then he goes to court and Phoenix defends him, whereupon we find out that he was only covering up for Mario, who was illegally funding the reconstruction of Peach's castle with coins he "found" in Super Mario Maker 2.

The meme comes full circle.

ItsLogic

Smash Cadet
I think it was a fan-made game, probably Smash Crusade, but they had Phoenix Wright in it, and he was perfect for it. He seems great for Smash Ultimate as well

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
I thought about a Classic Mode for Phoenix a while back. I think it could pay homage to both the way the cases usually work (with him having to defend someone from prosecution while also finding the real culprit) and also Capcom crossovers themselves. Phoenix always has a partner (usually :ultmegaman: or :ultryu:) and most fights are two-on-two, because of what was mentioned above and the opponents are always a tag team from different companies. The boss would be, much as I think they're overused, Master Hand and Crazy Hand, because of a certain cutscene that takes place in Phoenix's nightmare.

What do you guys think? What should his classic mode be?

Last edited:

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982

Edit:

If the choice comes down to something like that, I trust Sakurai to pick Phoenix, he prioritizes bringing something new to the series with each character! https://kotaku.com/smash-bros-creator-explains-how-characters-get-on-the-1644208199 It's very important to be unique. I'm sure you could make a Resident Evil moveset unique enough, I guess... (can you?) but no one outside the series can fight like an Ace Attorney!
I don't think Monster Hunter is happening. We got base roster content, and the costume is something that could easily come back again for it. I wouldn't rule it out, but I'd be surprised (and peeved) if they held back on the Hunter for DLC purposes.

Devil May Cry is not happening this pass. I think if there's a wave 2 it will happen, but right now I am taking the creator/director's word as the facts. People will point out Kirkhope lied about Banjo, but the way the DMC guy worded it makes me think he is not hiding anything. Actions speak too: they ported the first game immediately after being asked about Smash, AFTER doing a poll on whether or not fans would like to see DMC on Nintendo systems. I think that clearly states that they are interested in Smash, but missed the boat for now.

I think Resident Evil has potential to be unique. While Joker, Bayonetta, and the Star Fox characters use a gun it's not integral to their move set. RE would utilize the gun way more prominently, i.e: aerials, smash attacks, and so on. I think that's unique enough to stand out. I guess Snake's heavy artillery would come into play, but they don't use the same exact weapons 1:1 either.

I guess, in a way, it depends if Doomslayer is in. While they don't use the same gun or the same way, the concept of a gun-heavy user would be very prominent for him too. I am not sure if they'd want two of them side-by-side as the last two characters for a new idea like that. That's why I am banking it is one or the other from a creative perspective, but hey who knows, maybe both will be in too. It's merely a theory!

What does concern me is Resident Evil getting a lot of attention on Switch lately. Dragon Quest had a similar pathway prior to their reveal, which people are connecting the dots for it now. I guess it could be argued that Ace Attorney had a push with its multi-platform releases this past year - including Steam - for broader appeal, but for Nintendo they'd only care about the Switch side of things. That's what is making me worried that RE was selected. Capcom and Nintendo are gradually introducing Resident Evil to the wider Nintendo crowd to help sell the pack.

What I am clinging onto is the mere hope that Nintendo value Ace Attorney's constant appearances on their systems to at least put them on the list for consideration, and that Capcom's decision to port the series onto multiple systems was an idea to grow the series into a more mainstream environment that is complemented by a Smash appearance and new game reveal this Fall. But I think the stars are aligning for Resident Evil right now due to the work put into by both companies.

But really, the fact WE are considered Resident Evil's closest competitor for many right now is quite something on its own.

Last edited:

MissingGlitch

Smash Master
I don't think Monster Hunter is happening. We got base roster content, and the costume is something that could easily come back again for it. I wouldn't rule it out, but I'd be surprised (and disappointed) if they held back on the Hunter for DLC purposes.

Devil May Cry is not happening this pass. I think if there's a wave 2 it will happen, but right now I am taking the creator/director's word as the facts. People will point out Kirkhope lied about Banjo, but the way the DMC guy worded it makes me think he is not hiding anything.

I think Resident Evil has potential to be unique. While Joker, Bayonetta, and the Star Fox characters use a gun it's not integral to their move set. RE would utilize the gun way more prominently, i.e: aerials, smash attacks, and so on. I think that's unique enough to stand out.

I guess, in a way, it depends if Doomslayer is in. While they don't use the same gun or the same way, the concept of a gun-heavy user would be very prominent for him too. I am not sure if they'd want two of them side-by-side as the last two characters for a new idea like that. That's why I am banking it is one or the other from a creative perspective, but hey who knows, maybe both will be in too. It's merely a theory!

What does concern me is Resident Evil getting a lot of attention on Switch lately. Dragon Quest had a similar pathway prior to their reveal, which people are connecting the dots for it now. I guess it could be argued that Ace Attorney had a push with its multi-platform releases this past year - including Steam - for broader appeal, but for Nintendo they'd only care about the Switch side of things. That's what is making me worried that RE was selected. Capcom and Nintendo are gradually introducing Resident Evil to the wider Nintendo crowd to help sell the pack.

What I am clinging onto is the mere hope that Nintendo value Ace Attorney's constant appearances on their systems to at least put them on the list for consideration, and that Capcom's decision to port the series onto multiple systems was an idea to grow the series into a more mainstream environment that is complemented by a Smash appearance and new game reveal this Fall. But I think the stars are aligning for Resident Evil right now due to the work put into by both companies.
But then again. If a system exists. Capcom will port Resident Evil to it. I don't think there has been a Nintendo system (within reason. Like not counting the Gameboy line) without at least 1-2 Resident Evil ports to it. Ace Attorney is the exact same thing. Even the Wii got Wiiware ports of the first three games. Capcom just loves porting.

Last edited:

TemporalShrew

Smash Journeyman
But then again. If a system exists. Capcom will port Resident Evil to it. I don't think there has been a Nintendo system (within reason. Like not counting the Gameboy line) without at least 1-2 Resident Evil ports to it. Ace Attorney is the exact same thing. Even the Wii got Wiiware ports of the first three games. Capcom just loves porting.
True. Another thing I'm sort of banking on is Capcom's financial sense - Resident Evil is already their best selling series. Better than Street Fighter. Better than Mega Man. Smash is seen as not only a celebration of already-popular series, but also as a potential way to draw attention to series that aren't as popular. People on the Banjo side of things are already talking about how Banjo's inclusion in Smash might lead to a franchise revival down the line, if the response to his Smash presence is positive enough. Does Capcom need to call attention to Resident Evil? Do they really? It's already ludicrously well-known, and its sales are obscene compared even to Monster Hunter.

You could say that that improves its chances, and you'd have a point, but here's the thing - Resident Evil's sales and recognizability are in perfect harmony. Everyone and their mother knows RE, and everyone and their mother buys it. Never mind that two series with more significance to Nintendo - SF and Mega Man - got in over their best-selling series. Everyone and their mother has heard of Phoenix Wright... but the sales don't match up. I think there's a real chance that Capcom tries to remedy this, if only Nintendo/Sakurai are willing to approach them with that opportunity. PW has a lot going for it, and the recent multi-platform ports, the running rumors of a new mainline entry for the Switch, and the statements by Capcom that they're thinking about where to go next with the series in conjunction with their statements that they purposely made Spirit of Justice's ending open enough to go in as many directions as possible... I think they might want to try really pushing Ace Attorney.

Time will tell, but I really, really think there's a chance.

Last edited:
Top Bottom