• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

TAKE THAT! Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney smashes the prosecution!

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
I always imagined the Magatama being used as a tether Up-B, but Sonsa Sonsa has the better idea imo. Phoenix grabbing someone violently doesn't seem out of character to me, but using the Magatama feels much more appropriate and related to what the Magatama actually does in game.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
I always imagined the magatama and the psyche-locks being used as the final smash, kind of like Bowser Jr.'s FS except you can break the locks. Though if they use them in his normal moveset his final smash could also be the black psyche-locks.
yeah i had a similar idea once (though i think it was before jr) huge psyche-locks across the screen shattering to do damage and launch

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
I've had one idea that popped up into my mind the other day.

It's in regards to a move based on evidence collecting. What if it worked similar to the pocket ability of Villager/Isabelle to where Phoenix can take in whatever item or projectile is thrown at him. However instead of reusing the items, he yells out an loud OBJECTION! back at them.

However, the move would deal major damage at whoever last used the item/projectile before Phoenix collected it. Whereas if he uses it against an opponent that didn't use it, it would deal very minimal damage.

If he collects an item that he himself uses though, I'm not sure, I guess he can just store it and use it for later like Isabelle and Villager can.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
I've had one idea that popped up into my mind the other day.

It's in regards to a move based on evidence collecting. What if it worked similar to the pocket ability of Villager/Isabelle to where Phoenix can take in whatever item or projectile is thrown at him. However instead of reusing the items, he yells out an loud OBJECTION! back at them.

However, the move would deal major damage at whoever last used the item/projectile before Phoenix collected it. Whereas if he uses it against an opponent that didn't use it, it would deal very minimal damage.

If he collects an item that he himself uses though, I'm not sure, I guess he can just store it and use it for later like Isabelle and Villager can.
huh that makes so much sense, you may be on to a winner there

Sonsa

Smash Champion
I always imagined the Magatama being used as a tether Up-B, but Sonsa Sonsa has the better idea imo. Phoenix grabbing someone violently doesn't seem out of character to me, but using the Magatama feels much more appropriate and related to what the Magatama actually does in game.
Magatama as a tether recovery aint a bad idea though too! His grounded up-b could shoot out a chain with a lock at the end and kill, kinda similar already to vine whip or Joker's up-b, but still a neat option, and could give Phoenix a zair where he shoots a lil chain with a lock at the end that explodes haha

I still prefer it for his grab and all, but that's a fun option to think about, I'm surprised it didn't occur to me, thanks!

Gameboi834

Smash Lord
NNID
Gameboi834
Sonsa Sonsa , Just watched your moveset video-- it was pretty great! I got a big Mega Man/Pac Man vibe in the sense that the dev team would really be pulling out all the stops on referencing the games. Good job!

[Casual]

Smash Rookie
I guess I'm joining the support! Hi...
First off, I REALLY want Phoenix Wright to be in this game, I truly do.
Second, you may have seen me talk about Phoenix in Smash-tuber channels on YouTube and I can literally talk about wanting him in Smash ALL DAY.
But what I'm here to do is to provide some "legitimate" reasons as to why he should could be in Smash. (They're not really reasons but points to think about.)

1. Phoenix Wright has a history with Nintendo (obviously) and his trilogy was recently ported to the Nintendo Switch and AA7 I believe is currently being made for the Switch. Started from the GBA in Japan now to the Switch (and many other consoles) as a trilogy without a Spanish translation (I'm not Hispanic but I did notice this joke in the AA fandom lol).

2. Surprised not many or any people mentioned this but Phoenix Wright recently had an anime with two seasons, both dubbed and subbed btw. The anime was about the original trilogy and had some additional content added to it such as more backstory as to why Edgeworth moved away or a new case made just for the anime in Season 2 and much more. Not sure if it has an influence in regards to Smash but I'd say Phoenix became more popular because of the anime. I'm also pretty sure it did well but I can't prove that... (It's a great watch, still haven't finished Season 2 though...)

3. Other than Dante (which I'm pretty sure he was deconfirmed but I don't know exactly if its true or not) or Leon from RE, Phoenix Wright would be perfect as Capcom's rep as DLC. Wright wasn't in Marvel vs Capcom Infinite (thank god) so "maybe" Capcom saved him for Smash. (Bit of a stretch but hey whatever works.) If he does make it in (which hopefully he does) that would make Capcom with 4 reps... so? (Sorry, I don't know what to say about the "so" part lol.)

4. No Spirit btw (odd to think that Sakurai knows of AA's existence but didn't put a Spirit of Phoenix in the game...) His DLC Spirit Board would be so cool. Such as a Maya, Edgeworth, Pearl, Apollo and Athena Primaries while having Gumshoe, Godot or Mia as Secondaries. (Just some ideas for Spirits, not saying I want it to be like this lol.) *I say lol a lot...*

5. One of AA's genres being Visual Novel isn't represented in Smash or at least I can't think of a character in Smash that's affiliated with VNs.

6. AA MUSIC would absolutely be amazing! Pursuit Theme Remixes galore!

7. The moveset potential Phoenix has, Sakurai could take inspiration from Ultimate Marvel vs Capcom 3 and implement that into Smash, well since the fighting styles of the two games are completely different Sakurai could do that or make an entire new moveset from scratch while staying loyal to the series. I can imagine making Phoenix's signature "OBJECTION!" his Neutral B or as a counter for his Down B. But the only problem I see is what would his Up B be... I'd also like to see the Magatama be part of his moveset, probably for his Side B. He'd be unlocking the truth within the fighters. That's great.

8. As for the Stage, the Courtroom seems to be the logical solution. Maybe other locations would suffice such as the Kingdom of Khura'in and many others.

9. And finally, his character/skin alts, his main alt would be the suit in the first AA and his second could be the suit in Dual Destinies and forward. His third could be him in college with the pink sweater or as the pianist during Apollo Justice. And the rest of the alts could be color based like Maya's or Edgeworth's colors, etc.

So yeah, hope you consider the points I have thought of and let us enjoy speculating that the blue lawyer would one day (hopefully) make it into Smash.
Feel free to reply back if you agree or disagree on my points, I would love to hear them and I'll reply as best or as fast as I can. Sorry, this post is so long lol.

Hope y'all have a nice day! Take care now.
First of all..... GREAT POST. I really enjoy how you bring up very valid reason for wright to be in smash and how you also mentioned how he could use the MAGATAMA as his side B. Though, I do think that his counter should be neutral B. It will be as good as incernereroiraepotasr's neutral B. One last thing>>>>>>>>>>>> SHOULD BANDANNA WADDLE DEE BE IN SMASH ULTIMATE. <<<<<<<<<<<

Northadox

Smash Apprentice
Big fan of the Ace Attorney series (played all the games, with the exception of DD and AAI2 (both of which I'm working on), PLvsAA, and the DGS games) and big Phoenix supporter here. Let's chat about music for a second. One of the biggest aspects of Phoenix's inclusion that I'm sure many would look forward to is the music, which Ace Attorney is well known for. Given a selection of 11 songs, 3 of which being arrangements (same amount Joker brought along with him), what Ace Attorney music would you pick to fill in the slots to best represent the series? Of course, choose wisely - out of the hundreds of good songs in the franchise, you can only pick the best and most noteworthy of the bunch! And just so you know, medleys can count as one song.
Here's my picks:
1. Pursuit ~ Cornered / Cornered Variation (NEW)
2. Objection! 2001 (NEW)
3. Trial 2004 (NEW)
4. Cross-examination Moderato / Allegro 2001
5. Pressing Pursuit ~ Cornered
6. Apollo Justice ~ A New Trial is in Session!
7. Pursuit ~ Wanting to Find the Truth
8. Pursuit ~ Cornering Together
9. Pursuit ~ The Great Turnabout
10. Detective Gumshoe ~ I can do it when it counts, pal!
11. Turnabout Sisters

TheYungLink

Smash Lord
Big fan of the Ace Attorney series (played all the games, with the exception of DD and AAI2 (both of which I'm working on), PLvsAA, and the DGS games) and big Phoenix supporter here. Let's chat about music for a second. One of the biggest aspects of Phoenix's inclusion that I'm sure many would look forward to is the music, which Ace Attorney is well known for. Given a selection of 11 songs, 3 of which being arrangements (same amount Joker brought along with him), what Ace Attorney music would you pick to fill in the slots to best represent the series? Of course, choose wisely - out of the hundreds of good songs in the franchise, you can only pick the best and most noteworthy of the bunch! And just so you know, medleys can count as one song.
Here's my picks:
2. Objection! 2001 (NEW)
3. Trial 2004 (NEW)
11. Turnabout Sisters
Having to only limit myself to 11 songs and 3 of them remixes is literal torture for me, the series' music is phenomenal.

That said, Turnabout Sisters needs to have a remix. The song is too important even if it's not a trial theme, and it needs a Midna's Lament treatment where it gets an energetic remix fit for fighting while still keeping the joyful / sad tone of both versions of the original song.

Flyboy

Smash Hero
God I wish Ace Attorney would get a million songs in Smash. I know there's no way The Enemy Who Surpasses The Law or The Man Who Masterminds The Game or The Masked Magician or The Sword of Labyrinthia would get in but I want them all.

I would at least hope for the SoJ version of Courtroom Revolutionnaire though, even if Phoenix is solely based on the original trilogy.

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982
The leak I posted a few weeks ago got some things on Grookey/SwordShield right. Of course, this is a problem when Banjo is heavily rumoured to be in from insiders. The Persona video did not confirm Kasumi as a Countess or not, so no further evidence.

Basically if we want Phoenix's chances to increase we'd need Edelgard to swoop in instead of Banjo. I'm sure that would go down well...

Sonsa

Smash Champion
Maybe I'm in a dramatic mood but nah, we're in this together, let's go bear, make those dreams come true! Hopefully our guy shows up too but yeah haha

And hey, Edelgard wouldn't even be that bad...magic and axe? Neat! But noooo. I personally want more ballot winners getting in over more Fire Emblems! There's more Banjo hype everyday and while I definitely think he's a candidate for whatever Smash DLC we may get, my gut or brain...nah, guess just my brain is saying Sora? Most popular, relevant character they could save and show off at E3 which has had Megaman, Pac-Man, and "Everyone is Here!" reveals! We could get multiple yeah but...Sora seems to make the most sense...if they even made those deals with Disney! Maybe it is Banjo ugh I don't KNOWWW

Are there two DLC fighters that would make sense sharing a trailer together like Ken and Incineroar did...? But they could just have one trailer at the beginning and one at the end, Simon and K.Rool weren't related at all, uuugh, this is...tough...

TemporalShrew

Smash Journeyman
I just want to wake up one day and discover that either this thread or the Porky one have gone absolutely bonkers - like, from 30-ish pages to 70 bonkers - like the Banjo one has.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
To be honest if Banjo makes it in, that really helps us. Might mean they're doing the more mainstream friendly picks before and more fan-focused (ballot-focused?) picks later, with Banjo being the center of the Venn diagram. There's no Capcom character as wanted as Phoenix. Resident Evil doesn't feel like a franchise that had a great showing on the ballot.

It's gonna be down to the wire for us, either way, as Phoenix will probably not be confirmed or disconfirmed at E3. He's either the fourth or fifth reveal - frankly, I can see him being the final reveal.

Picture this though. December 2019. Phoenix gets announced for DLC. Sakurai gives a speech thanking everyone for supporting Smash and hopes they enjoy Phoenix, the final newcomer...

'Objection!'

Fighter Pass 2 announced.

That's really pipe dreamish, but man wouldn't it be nice to have Phoenix be part of what would become such a huge part of Smash history. That would probably even endear him to any naysayers.

Last edited:

TemporalShrew

Smash Journeyman
To be honest if Banjo makes it in, that really helps us. Might mean they're doing the more mainstream friendly picks before and more fan-focused (ballot-focused?) picks later, with Banjo being the center of the Venn diagram. There's no Capcom character as wanted as Phoenix. Resident Evil doesn't feel like a franchise that had a great showing on the ballot.

It's gonna be down to the wire for us, either way, as Phoenix will probably not be confirmed or disconfirmed at E3. He's either the fourth or fifth reveal - frankly, I can see him being the final reveal.

Picture this though. December 2019. Phoenix gets announced for DLC. Sakurai gives a speech thanking everyone for supporting Smash and hopes they enjoy Phoenix, the final newcomer...

'Objection!'

That's really pipe dreamish, but man wouldn't it be nice to have Phoenix be part of what would become such a huge part of Smash history. That would probably even endear him to any naysayers.
Amusingly, I had gotten about halfway through your post when I reasoned to myself, "Well, if Capcom happens to not even get a rep in the FP, then I think Phoenix Wright would be a top-of-the-line definite pick for a second one..."

Handy Man

Smash Ace
Here's my picks:
2. Objection! 2001 (NEW)
3. Trial 2004 (NEW)
11. Turnabout Sisters
Here are my picks:

1. Pursuit ~ Cornered
2. Steel Samurai (Remix)
3. The Great Revival (Remix)
4. Pursuit ~ Caught (Remix)
5. Fragrance of Dark Coffee
6. Apollo Justice ~ Objection!
7. Athena Cykes ~ Courtroom Revolutionnaire
9. Confrontation ~ Presto 2009
10. Pursuit ~ Wanting to Find the Truth
11. Naruhodou Ryuunosuke ~ Objection

Sonsa

Smash Champion

'Objection!'

Ooohoohoo, that's a great idea! Always wanted to use his Objection for a Smash announcement somewhere somehow! "You've unlocked every fighter!" "Objection!" but nah this is great stuff... My hopes have already been up but the last character announcement is going to be especially painful now if it ain't our guy haha, but that's okay!

TemporalShrew

Smash Journeyman

I was going to make one of these myself when I saw this, but this is pretty much the perfect array. I only wish there were more spaces for songs so we could jam in some more character themes, like Luke Atmey's or Fulbright's.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
I was very disappointed that Joker only came with 11 songs, partly because Persona 5 is one of the best soundtracks in history and partly because they didn't do any Shin Megami Tensei songs. So I'm hoping the other newcomers get more songs. It would be a crime if Phoenix came in with only 11 songs, there's so many great ones - as with any Capcom game, really.

smash puffle

Smash Ace
Hello. I made a speculation video about the Fighters Pass. Phoenix was one of my picks for DLC.
Please excuse my voice. I'm not very good at talking too much on a mic.

Last edited:

Flyboy

Smash Hero
If we're talking dual reveals I'm just saying...Phoenix Wright vs. Professor Layton has happened before and should happen again...

Bobthealligator

Smash Ace
Having to only limit myself to 11 songs and 3 of them remixes is literal torture for me, the series' music is phenomenal.

That said, Turnabout Sisters needs to have a remix. The song is too important even if it's not a trial theme, and it needs a Midna's Lament treatment where it gets an energetic remix fit for fighting while still keeping the joyful / sad tone of both versions of the original song.
It might not be necessary to limit it that much. Look at how much music Street Fighter and Mega Man got at launch, Phoenix would definately get more than Joker. Also can I be added to the supporters list please, I finished the original trilogy a few months ago and I've fallen in love with the series.

Last edited:

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982
I guess a positive outlook would be that if Banjo is confirmed at E3 to coincide with new games we will know that practice is something they might do again later. With Ace Attorney games/content revealed around September that might be something to look at.

Last edited:

TemporalShrew

Smash Journeyman
I guess a positive outlook would be that if Banjo is confirmed at E3 to coincide with new games we will know that practice is something they might do again later. With Ace Attorney games/content revealed around September that might be something to look at.
This exact thought occurred to me earlier today - Joker's release coincides with Persona 5 Scramble and Persona Q 2. Erdrick's hypothetical release coincides with the release of Dragon Quest Builders 2 and Dragon Quest XI S. Ace Attorney is almost certainly going to announce a new game at TGS, and every. single. one. of the games has been either Nintendo-exclusive or on a Nintendo platform.

DO I DARE TO DREAM?

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982
This exact thought occurred to me earlier today - Joker's release coincides with Persona 5 Scramble and Persona Q 2. Erdrick's hypothetical release coincides with the release of Dragon Quest Builders 2 and Dragon Quest XI S. Ace Attorney is almost certainly going to announce a new game at TGS, and every. single. one. of the games has been either Nintendo-exclusive or on a Nintendo platform.

DO I DARE TO DREAM?
I guess the main problem is that the TGS is not a worldwide event. They would need to advertise it for the west...which they do to a point but not enough to gain big publicity?

TemporalShrew

Smash Journeyman
I guess the main problem is that the TGS is not a worldwide event. They would need to advertise it for the west...which they do to a point but not enough to gain big publicity?
Valid point, unfortunately. If anything, it would make more sense to reveal Phoenix along with a new Ace Attorney at E3, but as far as I'm aware Capcom has never revealed a mainline AA game at E3.

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982
Valid point, unfortunately. If anything, it would make more sense to reveal Phoenix along with a new Ace Attorney at E3, but as far as I'm aware Capcom has never revealed a mainline AA game at E3.
I think the trilogy for the 3DS was, but other than that it tends to be at the TGS.

Buuut I guess since they did do one at the VGAs - a more western event - they could do one for the TGS. They don't seem to care about direct feeding as much with how abruptly Joker's footage video came out.

TemporalShrew

Smash Journeyman
I think the trilogy for the 3DS was, but other than that it tends to be at the TGS.

Buuut I guess since they did do one at the VGAs - a more western event - they could do one for the TGS. They don't seem to care about direct feeding as much with how abruptly Joker's footage video came out.
I mean... remember that one time Nintendo basically did an entire Direct via Twitter? I can totally see them making the reveal at TGS and then using gaming media's instantaneous reaction time and their Twitter to propagate the information.

It almost doesn't matter where they announce things anymore, except maybe for PR optics.

KirbyMonadoBoy

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Shulkinator

'Objection!'

You know what would be even crazier? In December the fifth and last fighter gets announced, not Phoenix, unfortunately. It seems like everything concluded and we saw all the fighters. But at the end of the direct, you hear a loud “OBJECTION!!” you see a small teaser spot of Phoenix Wright with the message “Development for Fighter Pass 2 confirmed, coming 2020”.

Last edited:

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
I had an idea for a Stage.

IT's the courtroom where the main stage is made of the Defence and Prosecution Benches with a gap in the middle and above them is the Judges' stand as a platform.

The gimmick is different Defence Attorneys ad Prosecutors shouting and, in the latter's case, commiting assault to hurt the fighters.

Attorneys: Apollo Justice, Athena Sykes, and if not fighting, Phoenix Wright himself.
Prosecutors: Miles Edgeworth, Fransiska Von Karma, Simon Blackquil

_Sheik

Smash Lord
As unlikely as it sounds, I think having PW announced at E3 alongside the second trilogy and/or AA7 would be a best case scenario for both the fans and Nintendo/Capcom

Top Bottom