• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

TAKE THAT! Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney smashes the prosecution!

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982
Shame Ace Attorney Cross-Examinations will never be a thing. Despite being text-only that's still a lot of writing to do!

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
Random thought for a courtroom stage.

If Phoenix wins on the stage the transition to the victory screen should the "NOT GUILTY" text come on to the screen.

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982
Random thought for a courtroom stage.

If Phoenix wins on the stage the transition to the victory screen should the "NOT GUILTY" text come on to the screen.
Would be a neat reference, but I need confetti to feel complete here.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
One of his victory poses should be Maya doing the thing in MvC3 where she sprinkles confetting everywhere while Phoenix is acting sheepish.

Flyboy

Smash Hero
One of his victory poses should be Maya doing the thing in MvC3 where she sprinkles confetting everywhere while Phoenix is acting sheepish.
As much as I love that pose I think it's time Smash shows the REAL source of the confetti and brings in Gumshoe, pal!

...Edgeworth echo with Gumshoe as the assistant cmon guys

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982
Since the Ultimate victory screens are lively, I hope they assert the Ace Attorney humor onto them. I am sure they would.

I am still a big fan of the sprite poses as aerials you can't change my mind.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
His ledge getup attack should definitely be him slapping the edge before climbing back up.

Wunderwaft

Smash Master
Yo count me in as a supporter. The Ace Attorney games are one of my favorite visual novels. And despite Ace Attorney not being the highest selling series of Capcom, I still believe there's a chance it might get picked before Resident Evil or Monster Hunter.

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982
Shared in Social Thread

First time I see Phoenix mentioned in any "leak". The good thing is E3 is soon and if the Erdrick and Edelgard parts come true it might start looking up for us.

Might as well keep an eye on it, despite being 99.99% fake.

That joke character jab though. Yeeesh.

Last edited:

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Shared in Social Thread

First time I see Phoenix mentioned in any "leak". The good thing is E3 is soon and if the Erdrick and Edelgard parts come true it might start looking up for us.

>Baboom

Heh, why does that sound like a name I can totally see Gamefreak giving to a Pokemon...

That said, I can't really see them giving away echo fighters for free since they still take significantly more time and effort to make than Mii fighter costumes, even for other DLC characters. I'd imagine they would give them a discount for existing Joker owners at best though.

Last edited:

Leotsune

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Leotsune
Shared in Social Thread

I don't think they would add a echo from a game isn't even coming to switch, let alone another Pokémon...

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982
I don't think they would add a echo from a game isn't even coming to switch, let alone another Pokémon...
Pokemon is the biggest gaming series out there, and right at the hype of the first mainline game on console's release. Makes sense with Nintendo having a say for this DLC.

Having said that, I think it's too informative at this stage.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
For some reason, I can see a Sword and Shield Mon being used more as a surprise first reveal for a fighters pass 2 if that where to be a thing.

Even better if Layton (with Phoenix) was revealed beforehand and his stage morphing towards Galar out of nowhere and them wondering if their still in London, since both games are based off the UK. But oh well, one can dream...

Last edited:

Sonsa

Smash Champion
They say it's Nintendo making a list and Sakurai picking from it, so I've been working with that info, but hey, we've been misled before, like after the K.Rool Direct they said they were picking characters from the ballot - and they were - but after that we got Isabelle, Ken, and Incineroar who I doubt were big winners or didn't even exist yet. So! I guess we could still get advertising choices like Edelgard and a S&S Pokemon.

I still think this leak is super fake but I'm just imagining if it was real for a sec cause uhh well hey, Banjo and Sora would make the most people happy, but I'd play as a grass monkey Pokemon and totally take Phoenix... Edelgard has magic and an axe too? Neat...! I really don't think we should get any more Fire Emblem and hope Sakurai hasn't changed his mind from the interview he had after Corrin in Smash 4 where even he admitted "Yeah this is too much Fire Emblem" https://twinfinite.net/2015/12/super-smash-bros-roster-sakurai-fire-emblem/

...I also personally find Erdrick and almost anyone else with a sword boring at this point, plus I would hope Sakurai would shy away from sword fighters after admitting sword characters are hard to differentiate at this point https://nintendoeverything.com/saku...a-plant-character-changes-online-much-more/3/ (around the part when talking about Piranha Plant's unique potential)

So yeah! This is super fake, but just for pretend if it turned out real...I would feel sorry for lots of fans and wish em better luck next time, but absolutely take my lawyer. But do I want it to be real? Mm... If there was another leak that promised Banjo and Sora who I don't personally care about that much but I know would make so many people happy.......tsk......agh, that's actually kinda tough haha Doesn't Sora get enough spotlight? But Banjo definitely doesn't, even less than Phoenix, but all the other choices in that fake leak with Phoenix are so boring... aaaghhh... I want people to be happy, but I want my turn too, I actually can't choose, maybe I'll figure it out later, wow I made myself feel kinda bad sorryyy pffft

Flyboy

Smash Hero
Fake leak, but Joker and Phoenix in the same pass plus a Monkey pokemon to troll my friends with? I'm cool with that. Not the most exciting thing in the world but again, I'd get my two most-wanted which would just be nuts. Characters are just cool.

Last edited:

Jovahexeon Joranvexeon

Smash Champion
Shared in Social Thread

Hmmm, if that Pokemon evolution does turn out to be named "Baboom", then that would be a point in this leak's favor. That said, we should hopefully learn about the evolutions by E3.

Caladuz

Smash Apprentice
Shared in Social Thread

With all the talk about the DLC (Joker being emblematic etc), I don't see them adding another pokemon and fire emblem character.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
With all the talk about the DLC (Joker being emblematic etc), I don't see them adding another pokemon and fire emblem character.
that and if xenoblade 2 and arms were out too late for the base roster then surely three houses and sword and shield are too late for the fighters pass especially as its implied theyve already been chosen

Primal Cookie

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW 2532 0420 7538
that and if xenoblade 2 and arms were out too late for the base roster then surely three houses and sword and shield are too late for the fighters pass especially as its implied theyve already been chosen
Sakurai even said in the November direct that he wanted to put Rex in, but there wasn’t enough time (translation: the game was too new). I assume it was the same for Spring Man. That would 100% be the case for a gen 8 starter.

Sonsa

Smash Champion
Well I dunno about that, when Joker was revealed it was said they've been working on the next two DLC fighters. We know Gen 8 exists and the games'll be here soon enough but Game Freak definitely has art and ideas for the evolutions of the starters we've seen and it's possible Sakurai reserved a spot for a Pokemon. Greninja was added when all Sakurai saw was some art of him and a spot was even saved for Incineroar for Ultimate. So it's possible when deciding the DLC, Sakurai reserved another spot for "Gen 8 Pokemon" and can even wait for more info on it while working on other DLC characters. Just possible though, I'm just guessing here, but I would assume he'd pursue other characters rather than a vague Pokemon possibility?

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982
Could easily be Rex was too late for base game, but wasn't picked for the DLC period either.

Why? Well if this leak is true, then the Nintendo characters are from games coming out rather than already released. It would make sense in that context.

Dragon Quest also has an upcoming game and I can see Square favoring that based on their business model. Phoenix, however, makes no sense to be a Capcom decision.

Also it would be strange that Edelgard is being worked on before Phoenix. Could it be to correlate with the Three Houses' release? Perhaps, but that seems farfetched from all the way back in November.

Last edited:

Handy Man

Smash Ace
If Phoenix Wright is a part of the fighters pass, I'm expecting him to be character 4 or 5. E3 has never announced anything relating to the Ace Attorney series before, and TGS (Tokyo Games Show) is where most of the mainline Ace Attorney games get announced in Japan. If Ace Attorney 7 gets announced at TGS in September, with an English localization announced soon after, then Phoenix Wright being playable in Smash could definitely be a great promotional followup.

Gameboi834

Smash Lord
NNID
Gameboi834
I just wanted to drop by and give Phoenix Wright (with Maya, perhaps? A la Joker's taunts, at least?) my full approval.

GlitchWarrior

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
3540-4749-2681
Nice to have you on board the Turnabout Express, Gameboi! Let's all hope Wright pushes on from here.

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982
Well 15 days till E3. By some miracle we'll get something Ace Attorney related there for the first time in eons?

Haha...probably not.

Last edited:

BFMS234

Smash Rookie
I got into Ace Attorney two years ago when a YouTuber I was subscribed to started a playthrough of Spirit of Justice (they also helped with the fan translation of Investigations 2, which is cool because that game is amazing.) I never heard of the series, but I started watching it and it just hooked me in and I checked out all the past games, except for Dai Gyakuten Saipan, and now I’m a fan of the series.

So, I would like to join in to support Phoenix. He is probably the only character I would be excited about.

King Sonnn DeDeDoo

Smash Champion
So I played the original Ace Attorney a few years ago, but haven't played any of the sequels until now with the Trilogy on switch. Just got done with Justice for All, and now I'm on the second trial for Trials and Tribulations.

Trying to create a moveset for Phoenix for fun. I actually feel like a move set centered around the evidence mechanics works better in smash than in marvel, as Smash already has an entire system for items.

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982
Think people are sleeping on the Magatama being useful for a move.

King Sonnn DeDeDoo

Smash Champion
Yeah Psyche-locks are an unique mechanic of Ace Attorney and showcase to supernatural side of the series. I'm still formulating a move set, but the Magatama and the Psyche-locks are definitely on the radar for me. I'm thinking it could be a way to used as a "mark for death" mechanic, when you hit somebody with the magatama attack it places a Psche-lock on them (a lock covers their icon at the bottom of the screen to show that their "marked").

I honestly had no idea until I actually stated playing the games that there was going to be so much about spirits and spirit mediums in Ace Attorney, it was actually a real surprise to me.

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982
People are sleeping on Phoenix's chances of getting in overall.
Not sure about that. We're in limbo when it comes to what to expect at this point. E3 will give us a clearer picture.

An Archie

Smash Cadet
I always imagined the magatama and the psyche-locks being used as the final smash, kind of like Bowser Jr.'s FS except you can break the locks. Though if they use them in his normal moveset his final smash could also be the black psyche-locks.

Sonsa

Smash Champion
Since grabbing would be out of character for Phoenix, in my vid I put the Magatama as his grab! Instead of holding and throwing someone violently, he takes out the Magatama and the opponent is stuck, getting interrogated! Psyche locks appearing and slamming against the opponent's chest is the pummel, and for the throws, Phoenix points while the chains and locks carry the opponent away!

I would really vote the Magatama be used for his entire grab game since, without it, I imagine it being way more awkward?

Edit: Visuals and stuff: https://youtu.be/ybB1fpE8maY?t=881

Last edited:
Top Bottom