• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

TAKE THAT! Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney smashes the prosecution!

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Agreed on all counts. It's exciting as a Dante fan, but it's not a confirmation. It does open it up for future passes or games, which is awesome, but that's about it.

Man, I love Capcom. So many great names in the mix right now. Of course, I know where my loyalties lie.
Not that this'll stop some, how do I put it delicately, naive people from assuming he's a lock just from this.

In any case, it is indeed good that Dante finally has a proper Nintendo appearance after only having been in crossovers on Nintendo hardware.

Sorry if I'm late, but I really just wanted to say this....

Are you absolutely sure you could have handled seeing our boy in that horrendous ""realistic"" style of Infinite?

Personally, I... shudder just thinking about it. My mental image of this looks like 4chan's version of Minecraft Steve, but worse. A lot worse.
I'll never forgive the folks behind that game for making my gal Morrigan look like one of those used dolls you'd find in a flea market.

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
Come to think of it would the courtroom even be a good stage for Phoenix? I mean it makes sense but I don't really see how you would s stage like that fun.

Personally i would make his stage one of the major locations he goes to on one of the cases, like Gourd lake or Hazakura temple.

i dont think thatd force them to localise it, just ask the lucas fans
Let me dream dang it.

KirbyMonadoBoy

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Shulkinator
Honestly, I can't see the stage be anything other than the courtroom. It's by far the most iconic place and it would be unique to smash as well. With hazards on you'd occasionally see Franziska whipping her whip across the stage, Godot throwing mugs at you or getting attacked by Taka. Evertime the judge swings the gavel (which can kill if you are in range) and gives the final verdict during battle, a new defense attorney and a new prosecutor (with unique characteristics respectively) takes the place of the previous one. Without hazards, the stage could have a slightly altered version similar to Pokestadium 2 or Kalos Pokémon League (but a bit smaller in scale), so that it can be used as a "legal" stage in tournaments: Defense platform on the left side, prosecutor platform on the right, and a smaller judge platform in the middle or in the background, without any obstructive hazards or walls.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Agreed on all counts. It's exciting as a Dante fan, but it's not a confirmation. It does open it up for future passes or games, which is awesome, but that's about it.

Man, I love Capcom. So many great names in the mix right now. Of course, I know where my loyalties lie.
If only there could be a good Capcom fighting game... But it might be hard to sell people on just Capcom's IP alone, so maybe make a crossover with something popular?

I know! What's more popular than those Marvel movies? Yes, I just need a name...
Sorry if I'm late, but I really just wanted to say this....

Are you absolutely sure you could have handled seeing our boy in that horrendous ""realistic"" style of Infinite?

Personally, I... shudder just thinking about it. My mental image of this looks like 4chan's version of Minecraft Steve, but worse. A lot worse.
I might not have been able to take it but if my boy is in the game I buy it.
Honestly, I can't see the stage be anything other than the courtroom. It's by far the most iconic place and it would be unique to smash as well. With hazards on you'd occasionally see Franziska whipping her whip across the stage, Godot throwing mugs at you or getting attacked by Taka. Evertime the judge swings the gavel (which can kill if you are in range) and gives the final verdict during battle, a new defense attorney and a new prosecutor (with unique characteristics respectively) takes the place of the previous one. Without hazards, the stage could have a slightly altered version similar to Pokestadium 2 or Kalos Pokémon League (but a bit smaller in scale), so that it can be used as a "legal" stage in tournaments: Defense platform on the left side, prosecutor platform on the right, and a smaller judge platform in the middle or in the background, without any obstructive hazards or walls.
Plus the courtroom could always just blow up like in Dual Destinies.

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982
Courtroom is the only viable option. It would represent the core concept of the series and be an easier setting to use to represent visual novels.

Sonsa

Smash Champion
There's lots of pretty places in Ace Attorney, but yeah, the most memorable, climactic moments in the series take place in court, it's really gatta be the courtroom. And there's ways to make it work, easiest being the Smashville way, just put some platforms in front of a courtroom background haha

TheYungLink

Smash Lord
Getting a locale from the Ace Attorney games that isn't the courtroom is putting in a semi-memorable place instead of a more iconic location. I don't want a repeat of Pac-Man keeping Pac-Land but not Pac-Maze.

Ace C.R.O.S.S.

Smash Ace
Hah, that reminds me that i have made a Courtroom Stage in the Stage Builder...
It's a shame that i don't have the online service...

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
*puts on tinfoil hat* It's almost like this port only exists to justify Dante being included in smash.
Well, I mean... it would already be more than we ended up getting for Joker.

Personally, I think Dante and a RE rep are the best choices I could see Capcom picking for the Fighter Pass besides Phoenix. Of course, there are other contenders, but I feel these three are the most likely ones.

_Sheik

Smash Lord
Lmao Wright is deconfirmed by virtue of him losing his job and fame, it's over. Your greasy disbarred poker player is NEVER EVER

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982
*puts on tinfoil hat* It's almost like this port only exists to justify Dante being included in smash.
Matt Walker said post Sakurai tweet they were never contacted.

This is merely testing the waters for Nintendo centric demand for DMC.

Fry Rice

Smash Rookie
I guess I'm joining the support! Hi...
First off, I REALLY want Phoenix Wright to be in this game, I truly do.
Second, you may have seen me talk about Phoenix in Smash-tuber channels on YouTube and I can literally talk about wanting him in Smash ALL DAY.
But what I'm here to do is to provide some "legitimate" reasons as to why he should could be in Smash. (They're not really reasons but points to think about.)

1. Phoenix Wright has a history with Nintendo (obviously) and his trilogy was recently ported to the Nintendo Switch and AA7 I believe is currently being made for the Switch. Started from the GBA in Japan now to the Switch (and many other consoles) as a trilogy without a Spanish translation (I'm not Hispanic but I did notice this joke in the AA fandom lol).

2. Surprised not many or any people mentioned this but Phoenix Wright recently had an anime with two seasons, both dubbed and subbed btw. The anime was about the original trilogy and had some additional content added to it such as more backstory as to why Edgeworth moved away or a new case made just for the anime in Season 2 and much more. Not sure if it has an influence in regards to Smash but I'd say Phoenix became more popular because of the anime. I'm also pretty sure it did well but I can't prove that... (It's a great watch, still haven't finished Season 2 though...)

3. Other than Dante (which I'm pretty sure he was deconfirmed but I don't know exactly if its true or not) or Leon from RE, Phoenix Wright would be perfect as Capcom's rep as DLC. Wright wasn't in Marvel vs Capcom Infinite (thank god) so "maybe" Capcom saved him for Smash. (Bit of a stretch but hey whatever works.) If he does make it in (which hopefully he does) that would make Capcom with 4 reps... so? (Sorry, I don't know what to say about the "so" part lol.)

4. No Spirit btw (odd to think that Sakurai knows of AA's existence but didn't put a Spirit of Phoenix in the game...) His DLC Spirit Board would be so cool. Such as a Maya, Edgeworth, Pearl, Apollo and Athena Primaries while having Gumshoe, Godot or Mia as Secondaries. (Just some ideas for Spirits, not saying I want it to be like this lol.) *I say lol a lot...*

5. One of AA's genres being Visual Novel isn't represented in Smash or at least I can't think of a character in Smash that's affiliated with VNs.

6. AA MUSIC would absolutely be amazing! Pursuit Theme Remixes galore!

7. The moveset potential Phoenix has, Sakurai could take inspiration from Ultimate Marvel vs Capcom 3 and implement that into Smash, well since the fighting styles of the two games are completely different Sakurai could do that or make an entire new moveset from scratch while staying loyal to the series. I can imagine making Phoenix's signature "OBJECTION!" his Neutral B or as a counter for his Down B. But the only problem I see is what would his Up B be... I'd also like to see the Magatama be part of his moveset, probably for his Side B. He'd be unlocking the truth within the fighters. That's great.

8. As for the Stage, the Courtroom seems to be the logical solution. Maybe other locations would suffice such as the Kingdom of Khura'in and many others.

9. And finally, his character/skin alts, his main alt would be the suit in the first AA and his second could be the suit in Dual Destinies and forward. His third could be him in college with the pink sweater or as the pianist during Apollo Justice. And the rest of the alts could be color based like Maya's or Edgeworth's colors, etc.

So yeah, hope you consider the points I have thought of and let us enjoy speculating that the blue lawyer would one day (hopefully) make it into Smash.
Feel free to reply back if you agree or disagree on my points, I would love to hear them and I'll reply as best or as fast as I can. Sorry, this post is so long lol.

Hope y'all have a nice day! Take care now.

Last edited:

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Second, you may have seen me talk about Phoenix in Smash-tuber channels on YouTube and I can literally talk about wanting him in Smash ALL DAY.
But what I'm here to do is to provide some "legitimate" reasons as to why he should could be in Smash. (They're not really reasons but points to think about.)

1. Phoenix Wright has a history with Nintendo (obviously) and his trilogy was recently ported to the Nintendo Switch and AA7 I believe is currently being made for the Switch. Started from the GBA in Japan now to the Switch (and many other consoles) as a trilogy without a Spanish translation (I'm not Hispanic but I did notice this joke in the AA fandom lol).

2. Surprised not many or any people mentioned this but Phoenix Wright recently had an anime with two seasons, both dubbed and subbed btw. The anime was about the original trilogy and had some additional content added to it such as more backstory as to why Edgeworth moved away or a new case made just for the anime in Season 2 and much more. Not sure if it has an influence in regards to Smash but I'd say Phoenix became more popular because of the anime. I'm also pretty sure it did well but I can't prove that... (It's a great watch, still haven't finished Season 2 though...)

3. Other than Dante (which I'm pretty sure he was deconfirmed but I don't know exactly if its true or not) or Leon from RE, Phoenix Wright would be perfect as Capcom's rep as DLC. Wright wasn't in Marvel vs Capcom Infinite (thank god) so "maybe" Capcom saved him for Smash. (Bit of a stretch but hey whatever works.) If he does make it in (which hopefully he does) that would make Capcom with 4 reps... so? (Sorry, I don't know what to say about the "so" part lol.)

4. No Spirit btw (odd to think that Sakurai knows of AA's existence but didn't put a Spirit of Phoenix in the game...) His DLC Spirit Board would be so cool. Such as a Maya, Edgeworth, Pearl, Apollo and Athena Primaries while having Gumshoe, Godot or Mia as Secondaries. (Just some ideas for Spirits, not saying I want it to be like this lol.) *I say lol a lot...*

5. One of AA's genres being Visual Novel isn't represented in Smash or at least I can't think of a character in Smash that's affiliated with VNs.

7. And finally, the moveset potential Phoenix has, Sakurai could take inspiration from Ultimate Marvel vs Capcom 3 and implement that into Smash, well since the fighting styles of the two games are completely different Sakurai could do that or make an entire new moveset from scratch while staying loyal to the series. I can imagine making Phoenix's signature "OBJECTION!" his Neutral B or as a counter for his Down B. But the only problem I see is what would his Up B be... I'd also like to see the Magatama be part of his moveset, probably for his Side B. He'd be unlocking the truth within the fighters. That's great.

So yeah, hope you consider the points I have thought of and let us enjoy speculating that the blue lawyer would one day (hopefully) make it into Smash.
Feel free to reply back if you agree or disagree on my points, I would love to hear them and I'll reply as best or as fast as I can. Sorry its so long lol.

Really great post.

And is there really no Hispanic translation for the Switch trilogy? That's odd, I definitely recall there being one for the original games.

Fry Rice

Smash Rookie
Really great post.

And is there really no Hispanic translation for the Switch trilogy? That's odd, I definitely recall there being one for the original games.
As I recall from the YouTube comments of the release trailer from Capcom's YouTube, which isn't a great source but Hispanic fans were complaining that there wasn't one but had translations for Italian or French. Which is kinda funny tbh.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
As I recall from the YouTube comments of the release trailer from Capcom's YouTube, which isn't a great source but Hispanic fans were complaining that there wasn't one but had translations for Italian or French. Which is kinda funny tbh.
Maybe I was misremembering. All I recall is hearing the spoken translation for 'Objection!' ('Protesto!' or 'I protest!') and cringing, but in retrospect that could have been unofficial.

Leotsune

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Leotsune

7. The moveset potential Phoenix has, Sakurai could take inspiration from Ultimate Marvel vs Capcom 3 and implement that into Smash, well since the fighting styles of the two games are completely different Sakurai could do that or make an entire new moveset from scratch while staying loyal to the series. I can imagine making Phoenix's signature "OBJECTION!" his Neutral B or as a counter for his Down B. But the only problem I see is what would his Up B be... I'd also like to see the Magatama be part of his moveset, probably for his Side B. He'd be unlocking the truth within the fighters. That's great.

8. As for the Stage, the Courtroom seems to be the logical solution. Maybe other locations would suffice such as the Kingdom of Khura'in and many others.

9. And finally, his character/skin alts, his main alt would be the suit in the first AA and his second could be the suit in Dual Destinies and forward. His third could be him in college with the pink sweater or as the pianist during Apollo Justice. And the rest of the alts could be color based like Maya's or Edgeworth's colors, etc.

Feel free to reply back if you agree or disagree on my points, I would love to hear them and I'll reply as best or as fast as I can. Sorry, this post is so long lol.

Great post, if Capcom were to get another rep, it HAS to be Phoenix Wright.
But as I said in a post here earlier, there is the possibility that the Smash team went for the easy route and just add another anime swordsman, but now with a gun and some mii brawler moves.
Let us hope for the best.

Flyboy

Smash Hero
But as I said in a post here earlier, there is the possibility that the Smash team went for the easy route and just add another anime swordsman, but now with a gun and some mii brawler moves.
That's a really bad way to put anyone discussed in this thread. Also, considering Phoenix himself actually has an anime I don't see the point in bringing up that as a negative towards anyone, let alone a fellow Capcom rep.

Don't be that guy.

Ace C.R.O.S.S.

Smash Ace
Maybe I was misremembering. All I recall is hearing the spoken translation for 'Objection!' ('Protesto!' or 'I protest!') and cringing, but in retrospect that could have been unofficial.
That translation was oficcial, Capcom translated the main trilogy and the 4th game but just in Europe...

Fry Rice

Smash Rookie
Thanks, I appreciate it but I doubt they went with the easy route, at this point a lot of people are speculating that Erdrick from DQ is gonna make it in and as far that I'm certain, he isn't going to be another FE clone... Well we just gotta wait until June 11 for the ND (Nintendo Direct of E3) to see...
(Ok so maybe my reply is a bit contradicting but hopefully you get my point being, Sakurai makes unique characters that stay true to the series they came from.)

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
Premium
I had an idea. You know how Joker's mask is removed in his portrait when Arsene is out? To represent the expressiveness and visual novel aspects of the series, Phoenix could have different expressions in his portrait depending on the situation:

His neutral (render) expression when nothing much is going on.
His freaking out face when he takes damage:
1557442685267.png

His classic sweating when he's heavily damaged:
1557442758931.png

And when he's in the lead/has his Final Smash, his confident pose:
1557442798128.png

Leotsune

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Leotsune
That's a really bad way to put anyone discussed in this thread. Also, considering Phoenix himself actually has an anime I don't see the point in bringing up that as a negative towards anyone, let alone a fellow Capcom rep.

Don't be that guy.
To be honest I'd be fine with any new Capcom rep (I love Dante and the Monster Hunter series as well), I just have a soft spot for Phoenix and that really makes me bit... bias? something like that.
But yeah you're right, I shouldn't bring negativity to this thread, I apologize.

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
I had an idea. You know how Joker's mask is removed in his portrait when Arsene is out? To represent the expressiveness and visual novel aspects of the series, Phoenix could have different expressions in his portrait depending on the situation:

View attachment 218471

I love this idea so very much.

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982

View attachment 218471

Good idea in principle, but I feel they could do this just as fine with the game model rather than the render. Of course if they add it as a bonus I won't mind, but that's a lot of art to draw for one character...

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
Premium
Good idea in principle, but I feel they could do this just as fine with the game model rather than the render. Of course if they add it as a bonus I won't mind, but that's a lot of art to draw for one character...
That's what I meant; use the ingame render but do these facial expressions.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed

View attachment 218471

that would be a nice touch, im sure we'll see them during gameplay if not in character portrait

there is no way that first one is not gonna be his expression when trapped in a final smash

Last edited:

smash puffle

Smash Ace

I think this would be more fitting for codec conversations in his own stage like Pit and Snake.

Last edited:
Top Bottom