• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

TAKE THAT! Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney smashes the prosecution!

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982
Ace Attorney does the weirdest collabs. I love it.

The series seems to be a decent enough hit to have some cultural zest over in Japan.

Miifighters4Smash5

Smash Journeyman
The Alternate Skins I Wanna see are:

1. A Color based off of Larry Butz
2. A Color based off of Miles Edgeworth
3. A Color based off of Maya Fey
4. His Heart Sweater
5. A Color based off of Apollo Justice
6. A Color based off of Athena Cykes
7. A Color based off of Godot
8. A color based off of Franziska von Karma

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982
All fairly likely except maybe the 4th one. If he has it it would most definitely take up at minimum two costume slots. I would replace it with a Gumshoe palette.

If we get trilogy and modern Phoenix with a perfect 4/4 split then I could see it being:

Edgeworth color
Godot color
Maya color

Apollo color
Athena color
Trucy color

TheYungLink

Smash Lord
Heyooo, I goofed around and finally finished a big vid on my ideas for Phoenix in Smash! I ramble a looot, but hey, if anyone's still wondering about a possible moveset or whatever else, maybe this could help! There's timestamps in the description if one's looking for anything specific like Spirit Battles or Boxing Ring Titles!
Finally got around to watching this, it's incredible! My favorite part was the Mr. Game & Watch-esque take on evidence as a side special.

I also think that the Courtroom stage shouldn't be too hazardous, given your joke that it should be a legal stage.

OnyanRings

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-4662-0014-5533
Heyooo, I goofed around and finally finished a big vid on my ideas for Phoenix in Smash! I ramble a looot, but hey, if anyone's still wondering about a possible moveset or whatever else, maybe this could help! There's timestamps in the description if one's looking for anything specific like Spirit Battles or Boxing Ring Titles!
My gosh, what an absolutely incredible video !
It's very clear that you love Ace Attorney, you put so much references and charm in this moveset, just like sakurai would !

Liked & subbed ! ^^

Sonsa

Smash Champion
Finally got around to watching this, it's incredible! My favorite part was the Mr. Game & Watch-esque take on evidence as a side special.

I also think that the Courtroom stage shouldn't be too hazardous, given your joke that it should be a legal stage.
My gosh, what an absolutely incredible video !
It's very clear that you love Ace Attorney, you put so much references and charm in this moveset, just like sakurai would !

Liked & subbed ! ^^
Baw! Thanks so much, it means a lot! I was so worried before posting that people would feel lukewarm about it at best like "Yeah its okay" especially cause of my drawings! But everyone has been so sweet and I'm really relieved and glad I've got something for my fellow Ace Attorney fans and for people who want to give the series a try too! Despite my nervousness though, I've always been proud of the final smash part! I got the speed just right pretty recently! But yeah, thanks so much again!

Handy Man

Smash Ace
I finished The Great Ace Attorney last night! I managed to get my older 3DS XL hacked and purchased a copy of the game, just to play through the fan translation. It was incredibly worth the long, four year wait to play it. I will not share much about my thoughts on the game, as it should be played as blind as possible. With that said, I loved how The Great Ace Attorney re-imagines the series as it took place in the early 1900s, and having only brand new characters as a part of the cast makes the game feel really refreshing. Again, if anyone has avoided spoilers for as long as I have, this game becomes a real treat. It's going to kill me to wait for its sequel to get translated, but I had a blast playing through a brand new Ace Attorney in 2019. If anyone has the means to play the fan translation, which feels very professional and comparable to the official games, then I highly recommend it!

IMG_3499.jpg

OnyanRings

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-4662-0014-5533
I finished The Great Ace Attorney last night! I managed to get my older 3DS XL hacked and purchased a copy of the game, just to play through the fan translation. It was incredibly worth the long, four year wait to play it. I will not share much about my thoughts on the game, as it should be played as blind as possible. With that said, I loved how The Great Ace Attorney re-imagines the series as it took place in the early 1900s, and having only brand new characters as a part of the cast makes the game feel really refreshing. Again, if anyone has avoided spoilers for as long as I have, this game becomes a real treat. It's going to kill me to wait for its sequel to get translated, but I had a blast playing through a brand new Ace Attorney in 2019. If anyone has the means to play the fan translation, which feels very professional and comparable to the official games, then I highly recommend it!

View attachment 214595
That's one tall box ! Congratulations by the way, i wish they'd release it officially in english though :L

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982
Is Phoenix the main want people have here from the series, or would you pick another Ace Attorney character if it were a realistic possibility?

Hinata

Never forget, a believing heart is your magic.
Premium
Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
Is Phoenix the main want people have here from the series, or would you pick another Ace Attorney character if it were a realistic possibility?
Edgeworth would be another good pick for me. Either him or Athena.

NSSKG151

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Lucaruto151RedX
3DS FC
1092-1616-4089
Switch FC
SW-4128-7335-9024
I'm okay with Phoenix since I like him enough and he is the main character of the whole series and is the person most people who haven't played the games would recognize. But man if anyone was a possibility I would want to play as Miles Edgeworth instead since he is my favorite character from the Ace Attorney series, with Athena being my second favorite and Phoenix at number 3.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
nah hes my favourite so hes my first choice, but id be ok with apollo, maya and athena as additions if that were possible

Last edited:

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
If it were up to me I would put in Ryunosuke. To force capcom into actually localizing those games.

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982
I like Phoenix too, and while I like other characters a bit more, you can't represent the series or the genre with anyone else but him.

But if I had the liberty of choice, I'd have Edgeworth in there. Ideally both would be in, especially since Edgeworth has used the same tools or gimmicks - Magatama, the court features, having his own sidekick - as Phoenix.

Last edited:

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Yeah go Phoenix. Nobody else would feel right.

After or alongside Phoenix? I'd certainly like Apollo as an echo or semiclone. It's hard picking between him and Edgeworth but poor Apollo's been mistreated enough.

OnyanRings

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-4662-0014-5533
I think Phoenix would be the best choice but id be over the frickin moon if Apollo made it as an echo.

Flyboy

Smash Hero
Phoenix, but I want an Edgeworth echo so bad.

I don't say Apollo or Athena because I want them to be in Phoenix's moveset.

TheYungLink

Smash Lord
Edgeworth is my favorite character because of Gyakuten Kenji 2, but I am of the opinion that Phoenix should get in, and that Apollo should be the Echo Fighter.

I guess it's sort of an Alucard situation here, with quite a few people liking Alucard the best in Castlevania but wanting a Belmont to be playable first. Edgeworth would have to be something like a semi-clone, and as such can't be an easy Echo Fighter of Phoenix.

If Phoenix does end up happening and they do end up using Edgeworth as the echo, I'd be interested in how they construct their movesets to allow for that.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Edgeworth is my favorite character because of Gyakuten Kenji 2, but I am of the opinion that Phoenix should get in, and that Apollo should be the Echo Fighter.

I guess it's sort of an Alucard situation here, with quite a few people liking Alucard the best in Castlevania but wanting a Belmont to be playable first. Edgeworth would have to be something like a semi-clone, and as such can't be an easy Echo Fighter of Phoenix.

If Phoenix does end up happening and they do end up using Edgeworth as the echo, I'd be interested in how they construct their movesets to allow for that.
If the moveset were to be based on evidence collecting/throwing, Maya assists, and the Magatama, I could see Edgeworth echoing Phoenix with Gumshoe or Kay instead of Maya. Maybe a Logic Chess Final Smash (especially if Phoenix gets Revisualization as his).

Sonsa

Smash Champion
Oh, Phoenix for sure, he's the face of the series and pretty lovable too, but if we were in some real alternate reality where there were as many Ace Attorney characters as Fire Emblem's then hey I'd love Maya to have her own moveset, being spunky and channeling famously dead characters for some moves (like James McCloud? Just an example, whatever!), Edgeworth and Apollo and Athena are all characters similar to Phoenix enough I imagine and I love em all

AND! Trucy! Would be cool, having a magical moveset, Mr. Hat, flying, casting spells, cards, animals, panties, making stuff disappear, making the right card appear in your pocket, whateverrr, fun times! Franziska was planned for Tatsunoko vs Capcom, would be cool to see her finally fight, she's super cool! There was also a rumor for MvCi that Blackquill would be a fighter? Seemed so weird at first but so fun the more thought was given! A sped up fight remix of his theme, Taka the hawk, katana, handcuff command grab or somethin, his sis's robots maybe, all sorts of potential haha

I hope someday we get a good vs Capcom game with Phoenix back and someone along! So much great potential!

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
The worst crime of all was Phoenix not returning to MvCI. Even with the ****show it ended up being, Phoenix is one of two characters that would have made me buy it regardless.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
The worst crime of all was Phoenix not returning to MvCI. Even with the ****show it ended up being, Phoenix is one of two characters that would have made me buy it regardless.
I can't believe they picked ****ing firebrand of all characters to stay.

Sonsa

Smash Champion
I would have bought it if he was there too, but... we really dodged a bullet there... that game is emBARRASSING. Really dumb though, they copy pasted other MvC3 characters, I bet they just couldn't figure out a way to fit Phoenix into their "amazing" story, but he was literally the fan favorite of UMvC3!

I wish I could find the sources but I know there were polls were Phoenix was the #1 request or only #2 to Megaman X, and when trailers were coming out people really wanted to see Phoenix (since all the UMvC3 new characters were leaked) and Niitsuma had to come out during I think TGS? cause they showed Vergil instead and he was like "Sorry, sorry, we'll show Phoenix soon, I know you're all hyped" and gave a tease by describing some crouch attack haha

I also know for a fact that at NYCC where they had Phoenix playable they gave out these shirts with 3 of the most fan faved characters for UMvC3! The #1 was in the center and #2 and #3 where on the left and right! I know since I won two of those shirts by winning with Phoenix and still have em <3 and of course Phoenix is in the center! Strider and Vergil are the other two on the shirt! That NYCC is the only con I've ever been to and it's cause Phoenix was playable, if Phoenix was in MvCi yeeeaaah I'd get the game, but I'm glad he wasn't cause that game really didn't deserve my help, only the team in charge of gameplay actually tried! Hopefully they heard the complaints and feel the importance Phoenix and other cool characters like Amaterasu and Viewtiful Joe had on the Vs series going forward. Hopefully they heard people's surprise at "Spencer? He's back?" haha

...that was a longer ramble than expected whoops pwsh

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
I would have bought it if he was there too, but... we really dodged a bullet there... that game is emBARRASSING. Really dumb though, they copy pasted other MvC3 characters, I bet they just couldn't figure out a way to fit Phoenix into their "amazing" story, but he was literally the fan favorite of UMvC3!

I wish I could find the sources but I know there were polls were Phoenix was the #1 request or only #2 to Megaman X, and when trailers were coming out people really wanted to see Phoenix (since all the UMvC3 new characters were leaked) and Niitsuma had to come out during I think TGS? cause they showed Vergil instead and he was like "Sorry, sorry, we'll show Phoenix soon, I know you're all hyped" and gave a tease by describing some crouch attack haha

I also know for a fact that at NYCC where they had Phoenix playable they gave out these shirts with 3 of the most fan faved characters for UMvC3! The #1 was in the center and #2 and #3 where on the left and right! I know since I won two of those shirts by winning with Phoenix and still have em <3 and of course Phoenix is in the center! Strider and Vergil are the other two on the shirt! That NYCC is the only con I've ever been to and it's cause Phoenix was playable, if Phoenix was in MvCi yeeeaaah I'd get the game, but I'm glad he wasn't cause that game really didn't deserve my help, only the team in charge of gameplay actually tried! Hopefully they heard the complaints and feel the importance Phoenix and other cool characters like Amaterasu and Viewtiful Joe had on the Vs series going forward. Hopefully they heard people's surprise at "Spencer? He's back?" haha

...that was a longer ramble than expected whoops pwsh
Wow, I didn't know Phoenix had beat Vergil in popularity. That's no small feat.

And yeah, keeping Firebrand and dread!Spencer and dropping Ammie, Joe and Nick is bafflingly poor decision making.

I remember the days when I had hopes that Gene and Regina would join MvC...

KirbyMonadoBoy

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Shulkinator
If I could choose, I'd love to play as Apollo, since he is the character I identify the most with and I've also cosplayed him. But he'd only get in as an Echo of Phoenix, if we somehow get both of them it would be so great. Apart from him I'd also love to see Athena playable - who knows, maybe she is the main character of the next Ace Attorney game and then she would have a lot of relevance - still unlikely, but her in Smash would be awesome as well.

Leotsune

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Leotsune
Making Apollo an echo of Phoenix would feel a little off, I mean, Phoenix is slightly taller than Apollo, I know its nothing I just wanted to share that thought.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Making Apollo an echo of Phoenix would feel a little off, I mean, Phoenix is slightly taller than Apollo, I know its nothing I just wanted to share that thought.
I'm pretty sure there's a height difference between Peach and Daisy, so it's probably not an issue.

Sonsa

Smash Champion
It's really hard to find the 8 year old quote where Niitsuma came out and teased Phoenix cause people were so antsy for him, but I got this one where they confirm Phoenix was the most requested of...well I guess all Capcom characters at the time! https://www.eventhubs.com/news/2017...a-gives-more-insight-umvc3-character-choices/

And ayy, 7th ain't too shabby! Excluding spirits too, he's 4th! Sora totally makes sense and I think we'll see him, but I dunno about the others, maybe so, maybe not, ain't sure! Either way, Phoenix definitely has competition...buuut! Eh! Not toooo much! He's got a shot! Ahh, I shouldn't get my hopes up, but who am I kidding, too late haha...

KirbyMonadoBoy

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Shulkinator
Devil May Cry ist coming to Switch and Phoenix Wright seems to get more serious competition within the Capcom Franchise. Even though people all over the internet are now talking about Dante in Smash, I still think Phoenix's chances are a bit better.

Flyboy

Smash Hero
I don't believe in competition with other Capcom greats - a full Nintendo vs. Capcom would be a dream fighting game to me - but this is very suspicious. That said, as much as I love Dante I can't help but feel he's very similar to Joker in the basics of the moveset department so I feel like Phoenix's uniqueness would make him stand out among Nintendo and Sakurai if they were both in the conversation.

Jovahexeon Joranvexeon

Smash Champion
Devil May Cry ist coming to Switch and Phoenix Wright seems to get more serious competition within the Capcom Franchise. Even though people all over the internet are now talking about Dante in Smash, I still think Phoenix's chances are a bit better.
Eh, besides, it's literally only DMC 1. Not even the proper HD trilogy.

Leotsune

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Leotsune
The only thing that bothers me after seeing Joker is how half of his moveset is borrowed from other characters, and that makes me think,
Phoenix would need so much effort, he's gonna need a lot of new animations, maybe a different skeleton that works with the type of character he is, he would be a big challenge for the entire team.
My only fear is that Sakurai would like to spare some effort and choose Dante or *any RE rep* over him because how easy would be to desing those characters.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Like I've said in other threads, this is too little too late for Dante. Beyond the fact that Matt Walker (series producer) said they hadn't been approached by Nintendo, it's unlikely that this port was in the works for so long as to have actually qualified Dante for Smash.

Of course the 'has to have a game on Nintendo' is not really a be-all end-all, but then this doesn't change anything, and it makes the previous comments about needing a port even more damning.

Flyboy

Smash Hero
Like I've said in other threads, this is too little too late for Dante. Beyond the fact that Matt Walker (series producer) said they hadn't been approached by Nintendo, it's unlikely that this port was in the works for so long as to have actually qualified Dante for Smash.

Of course the 'has to have a game on Nintendo' is not really a be-all end-all, but then this doesn't change anything, and it makes the previous comments about needing a port even more damning.
Agreed on all counts. It's exciting as a Dante fan, but it's not a confirmation. It does open it up for future passes or games, which is awesome, but that's about it.

Man, I love Capcom. So many great names in the mix right now. Of course, I know where my loyalties lie.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
The only thing that bothers me after seeing Joker is how half of his moveset is borrowed from other characters, and that makes me think,
Phoenix would need so much effort, he's gonna need a lot of new animations, maybe a different skeleton that works with the type of character he is, he would be a big challenge for the entire team.
My only fear is that Sakurai would like to spare some effort and choose Dante or *any RE rep* over him because how easy would be to desing those characters.
I feel like the reason Joker ended up the way he did was because he was on a fairly tight development crunch. Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't Sakurai state that the average unique character takes up to about 6 month's to develop? Joker took about 4 if we go by the assumption that he wasn't even in a presentable state back at the VGA and had to rush out a quick teaser instead because he was confirmed earlier than he was supposed to.

At least if I understood correctly.

Sakurai also confirmed that at least fighter two and three where also in the works roughly around that time, so they might have had a bit more time in the oven.

As far as Phoenix is concerned, he has a more or less generic realistic human proportions so I'd imagine they can use any of the existing realistic human characters armatures already in the game as a base and then work their way up from there.

If anything, I'd imagine he should be fairly straight forward to develop. At least compared to someone like, say, Amaterasu and whatnot.
That's of course, not putting into account whatever gimmick they might throw onto him of course.

That's just me though.

Last edited:

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
Sorry if I'm late, but I really just wanted to say this....

Are you absolutely sure you could have handled seeing our boy in that horrendous ""realistic"" style of Infinite?

Personally, I... shudder just thinking about it. My mental image of this looks like 4chan's version of Minecraft Steve, but worse. A lot worse.

Top Bottom