• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

TAKE THAT! Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney smashes the prosecution!

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982

...to the support thread for Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney! Here you'll find all the evidence we've compiled to make the case for everyone's favourite lawyer to take the stand in the next Super Smash Bros. game!

Phoenix Who?
Phoenix Wright is the main character of the Ace Attorney series, a series of visual novel games by Capcom which combine courtroom drama with crime scene investigation... and lots of massive hams. Prime example (it cuts straight to the relevant time, so you avoid spoilers):

At the start of the series, Phoenix Wright starts out as a rookie lawyer studying under his mentor, Mia Fey. The first three games in the series follow Phoenix's journey through various trials and tribulations, as he brings justice for all his clients - despite the entire court system seemingly working against him, and his defendants being treated as guilty until proven innocent. With the help of (and usually, in spite of) a colourful cast of characters, including his spirit medium-in-training assistant Maya Fey, the bumbling Detective Gumshoe, and childhood friend and rival prosecutor Miles Edgeworth, Phoenix successfully turns about even the most hopeless of trials and seizes the Not Guilty verdict time and again. Later games see Phoenix himself in the role of mentor to Apollo Justice and Athena Cykes, having risen from the ashes after being disbarred and forced out of the courtroom.

His adventures up to the trilogy's conclusion have been retold in an official anime adaptation! It has an English dub done by Funimation available to watch!
A live action movie was made in Japan focusing on the events of the first game.
The series receives a new musical concert every now and then in Japan, with the focus shifting from the main line games to Miles Edgeworth's spin off series!

Phoenix has also developed an excellent repertoire of appearances in other game series. Famously appearing in Marvel vs Capcom 3, the spikey-haired lawyer had his own crossover with Professor Layton, as well as playable appearances in Project X Zone 2, Puzzle Fighter, and (briefly) in Monster Hunter Explore.

The series is available on Nintendo DS, Nintendo 3DS, Nintendo Wii (WiiWare), Nintendo Switch, Xbox One, PlayStation 4, STEAM, Android, and iPhone. Please note that not all the games are available on every system. However, the trilogy is!

...Of course, we can't forget what the Ace Attorney series is possibly most well-known for. But hopefully by the time I've finished giving testimony, you won't have to make any of these.

Phoenix Wrong?
Not quite. This helpful diagram is sufficient evidence to refute this misnomer:

What's a lawyer going to do in a fighting game? Poke people's eyes out?
You'd be surprised. Phoenix already has two fighting game appearances under his belt, in Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3, and Project X Zone 2. Here's a video of what Nick has done in the company of superheroes and villains alike:
Having previous experience in a fighting games could be considered a plus for Nick's chances of being called to the Smash bar. It shows that despite not coming from a game with much in the way of action, the Ace Attorney series still offers plenty of material from which a Smash moveset could be derived. There's also always the option of letting him give people a boot to the head.
Notable moveset ideas have been discussed in this thread as well! Including Sonsa Sonsa 's concept video! and BrawlFan's concept video!

We're still looking for witnesses to give evidence on potential Smash movesets. Let me know if you want to submit your testimony!

Phoenix is a Capcom character, and we already have three of those. They won't add another, surely?
Perhaps, perhaps not. Ultimately, it probably comes down to whether or not Sakurai feels a character will bring something unique to the table, and as UMvC has shown, the Ace Attorney games give plenty to work with, and the series' goofy, hammy style would fit perfectly into the existing Smash cast. So maybe the odds aren't all that great, but Phoenix has pulled off bigger turnabouts before!

I'm still not convinced. Any evidence of the musical variety?
But of course. TAKE THAT!

Amazing. You really have turned this case about. No objections here!
And with that, the defense rests its case, Your Honour.

Case closed!

Witnesses for the Defense:

Media:

Court Records - The largest fan Ace Attorney website out there!
Official English Ace Attorney Twitter
Official Ace Attorney website

Credit to Moydow for the base concept of the post.

Last edited:

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
Why yes I do support the Blue Suited, spiky haired lawyer who has thrown down with the likes of Galactus, Dormammu and Dr Doom.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Words could not express my joy at Phoenix joining Smash.

Gimme!

D

Deleted member

phoenix-deskslam.gif

I like to submit a piece of evidence to the court!

phoenix-objecting.gif

Is a piece of paper with my name on it showing my support for Phoenix Wright, the Ace Attorney for Smash Switch!

Blue_Sword_Edge

Smash Lord
NNID
Blue_Sword_Edge
3DS FC
1633-5415-5386

I will support Phoenix Wright for Smash on the Switch. This likeable lawyer needs a Smash appearance.

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
Who's the best lawyer in the world? No other than Pheenie! I support.

As long as he still has an evidence collecting gimmick like with UMvC3. I liked how it was true to the series' nature and gameplay.

MegaMarioMan9

Smash Journeyman
NNID
HelpMii
3DS FC
4811-7447-1151
Count me in. It's better that I start my support for good ol' Spikehead McLawyerson early on in the speculation period than at the end. I still need to finish up the Ace Attorney games I haven't yet completed, but hopefully I'll find the time to soon.

Strider_Bond00J

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-2525-8699-9095
Seeing Phoenix Wright in Smash would just send me over the moon. I have no problems with signing up as a member of the Gallery for this trial!

_Sheik

Smash Lord
Assuming Smash comes back in full swing at this year's E3, having Nick announced for both SSB and Mahvel in 2017 would guarantee some much deserved exposure for his franchise!

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
Having played all games except for Spirit of Justice, Ace Attorney Investigations 2 and Dai Gyakuten Saiban, I'm all for Phoenix Wright appearing in the game.

No objections at all. (heh)

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Phoenix Wright is the most perfect crossover character next to Doctor Who because his whole thing is getting caught in weird and whacky situations, being WAY in over his head and still finding a way to make it Wright, err... right.

_Sheik

Smash Lord
Did you know that Phoenix made an appearance in the Japan-only Taiko Drum Master RPG released for 3DS? From what I've read, I was under the impression that he is a party member alongside Kirby and King DeDeDe. I guess we can say they were acquainted with each other before our favorite lawyer joined the Smash Bros. roster :D

Jason the Yoshi

Watching Me, Wanting Me
I dunno. I guess I'll support, but assuming Ryu and Megaman both come back, if Phoenix Wright was added that gives us three Capcom representatives. Considering that the Prime Directive of Smash is to be a Nintendo all-star game, I don't think Nintendo would put three capcom characters in the game as playable. Another thing to consider is that Nintendo only wants the most iconic, memorable, and recognizable third party characters in the game, and won't accept anything but that. Phoenix Wright doesn't seem to fit those three categories as much as Megaman and Ryu.

Do I support Phoenix Wright? Yes. Do I think he'll get in very easily? Not exactly.

Strider_Bond00J

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-2525-8699-9095
Did you know that Phoenix made an appearance in the Japan-only Taiko Drum Master RPG released for 3DS? From what I've read, I was under the impression that he is a party member alongside Kirby and King DeDeDe. I guess we can say they were acquainted with each other before our favorite lawyer joined the Smash Bros. roster :D
Interestingly I think that game also marked the first appearance of Touhou on a Nintendo System. Trivia for a series very unlikely to appear in Smash at all. Phoenix would still have more chance than Reimu, Marisa or Sakuya, and would definitely be more recognisable instantly.

But it's kinda funny to think that Ace Attorney's been crossed with the likes of Marvel, Professor Layton, Kirby and Touhou (by proxy through this crossover game), and if he ever appeared in Smash, he'd think it's just another day at the office.

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
Premium
Interestingly I think that game also marked the first appearance of Touhou on a Nintendo System. Trivia for a series very unlikely to appear in Smash at all. Phoenix would still have more chance than Reimu, Marisa or Sakuya, and would definitely be more recognisable instantly.

But it's kinda funny to think that Ace Attorney's been crossed with the likes of Marvel, Professor Layton, Kirby and Touhou (by proxy through this crossover game), and if he ever appeared in Smash, he'd think it's just another day at the office.
Not to mention series like Sakura Wars, Shenmue, Tekken, Yakuza, Xenosaga, Xenoblade, Fire Emblem, and such with Project X Zone 2

D

Deleted member

Is there gameplay of this?
This is the first time I've heard that Ace Attorney crossed with Kirby and I love both franchises.

RetroGamersGuru

Smash Journeyman
NNID
RetroGamersGuru
Not a top 10 pick for me (more like 20), but I support this character. The Ace Attorney series is amazing (even though I have yet to play Dai Gyakuten Saiban), and his character is very well developed alongside the others. His Marvel moveset is hilarious but makes sense, so a moveset similar would be nice. It's just that the character would have to be adapted again considering how even Ryu has some slight trouble adjusting to the platform fighter formula. PWAA, T&T, and SoJ are my favorite ones so far.

D

Deleted member

HOLD IT!

I'm not on that support list, and I think Phoenix (no, not the Marvel character) would be great to have in Smash.

PF9

Smash Lord
His theme song could be "Perry Mason" by Ozzy Osbourne (just started binging the classic TV show today).

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
I'd also like to be added to the supporter list. (not sure how I'm not already there :p)

Is there gameplay of this?
This is the first time I've heard that Ace Attorney crossed with Kirby and I love both franchises.
It's not the only time Phoenix Wright has crossed paths with Nintendo characters either. He's already met Chrom & Lucina in Project X Zone.

I dunno. I guess I'll support, but assuming Ryu and Megaman both come back, if Phoenix Wright was added that gives us three Capcom representatives. Considering that the Prime Directive of Smash is to be a Nintendo all-star game, I don't think Nintendo would put three capcom characters in the game as playable.
The problem I have with that way of thinking is that most people would have said the same about two Capcom representatives before Ryu came along. (or any third party getting more than one representative) At this point it just seems like you're moving the goalposts.

Last edited:

kiteinthesky

Smash Ace
I just want to see Phoenix Wright take Wario to court. That's all I need.

Please let taking people to court be Wright's final smash.

Please.

Blue_Sword_Edge

Smash Lord
NNID
Blue_Sword_Edge
3DS FC
1633-5415-5386
For Phoenix's Final Smash, I am all for Phoenix laying down a guilty verdict. Should "evidence" against the characters be personalized? I see some good reference potential there.

D

Deleted member

It's not the only time Phoenix Wright has crossed paths with Nintendo characters either. He's already met Chrom & Lucina in Project X Zone.
Oh yes, I know about that! I was thinking about getting PxZ2 just for Wright, but he's basically an assist character... I want to play as him, damn it!
And don't forget that Seven is in the game too!

I just want to see Phoenix Wright take Wario to court. That's all I need.

Please let taking people to court be Wright's final smash.

Please.
I do see his Final Smash be something like his level 3 in UMvC3.
Very fitting of both the character and the series.

For Phoenix's Final Smash, I am all for Phoenix laying down a guilty verdict. Should "evidence" against the characters be personalized? I see some good reference potential there.
That depends really. If it's just for the Final Smash and no models need to be made, then it makes sense.
If every character gets their own piece of evidence, it could be troublesome for balance and a lot of work would need to be put in for that.
I can see there being 5 pieces of evidence that Wright could pull out during battle and I can see him use one piece of evidence instead of three.

Blue_Sword_Edge

Smash Lord
NNID
Blue_Sword_Edge
3DS FC
1633-5415-5386
That depends really. If it's just for the Final Smash and no models need to be made, then it makes sense.
If every character gets their own piece of evidence, it could be troublesome for balance and a lot of work would need to be put in for that.
I can see there being 5 pieces of evidence that Wright could pull out during battle and I can see him use one piece of evidence instead of three.
Strictly for the Final Smash, I did not envision that models were to be made. Just pictures associated with the "Guilty" verdict evidence on the character like Sonic running away from G.U.N or Mario imprisoning Donkey Kong Jr.'s father in Donkey Kong II. Mostly stuff like that.

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
I've said it before but I want Phoenix Wright's final smash to be summoning the giant judge from his nightmare (from Justice for all) to slam his opponents with that huge gavel.

A reminder of what it looks like:

It would be a cutscene type final smash (like Captain Falcon or Shulk) and all the fighters caught by the attack would land on the cliff where Phoenix is standing in the above image.

Last edited:

Holder of the Heel

Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
NNID
Roarfang
3DS FC
1332-7720-7283
Switch FC
6734-2078-8990
I love Phoenix and would love to see Ace Attorney represented; however, in my opinion he'd better serve as an assist, or perhaps serve as an interactive background element in a Courtroom case where both Wright and Edgeworth are on opposite ends "dueling". The music alone would make it a powerful addition.

Moydow

The fairest of them all
BRoomer
16th of June, 2017:

Dr. Turner Grey pays a visit to the Wright and Co. Law Offices, to request that Phoenix joins him in Kurain Village - Phoenix's presence being Maya's price for performing the spirit channelling Grey needs to clear his name, after 14 patients died in his clinic last year due to mixed-up medication. Little does he know what fate will have in store for him...

It's an interesting experience, playing the games on the actual days on which the events happened. Luckily the circus case is a few months away yet... This one isn't too bad, though, I think.

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
I don't know about you guys, but with a new Ace Attorney coming to Switch I feel like Phoenix and the Ace Attorney series in general has more than paid its dues at this point.

I really think Ace Attorney is deserving to finally cross over with Smash Bros.

Last edited:

Dream Cancel

It's just good business
NNID
DreamXX
3DS FC
4571-1273-3502
Switch FC
SW-4309-2808-7588
I'd say Nick's got a much better shot this time around, but competition is just as stiff as last time. I really wonder who'll make it in, but I support Phoenix all the way :cool:

Top Bottom