• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Take Number 5 - the singing Pokemon takes stage! Jigglypuff Discussion

Should Jigglypuff have a moveset change?

• Total voters

Rayopuff

Smash Apprentice
How the F do you deal with Ike? he's got to be one of Jiggly's toughest matchups

King Ching

Smash Cadet
How the F do you deal with Ike? he's got to be one of Jiggly's toughest matchups
In the Puff vs Swordies (Like Ike) match up, Puff needs the following strategies to win:

1. Play patient, space well, mix up movement, fadeback aerials, bait out the swordies aerials and attacks, wait for an opening.
2. Once Puff gets in and puts the swordy in a disadvantage state, go in hard and be more aggro.
3. Once the swordy is off stage, they can be gimped easily. Especially Ike who has a bad vertical recovery.

In the match ups against Swords Puff needs to be very patient and read where the opponents aerials and moves will end up. I like to mix up my movement and fadeback with aerials to bait out an attack. Of course I don't ALWAYS do this so I mix up my approaches and go in sometimes to throw my opponent off.

Remember, Once Puff gets in opening against a swordy, Puff can potentially get A LOT of hits, strings, and combos. Versus the swordy can't really get too many true combos or follow ups on Puff because she is light and can escape easily. Also Swords aren't as good off stage as Puff is, so Puff can usually always gimp them. Once the swordy is off stage, edge guard them as much as possible and make them burn their resources like air dodge.

I'm still learning the sword matchs up myself. I've beaten Chrom, Roy, and Ike in tournament as Puff. You can do it too! It just takes practice and match up experience.

PassePopinjay

Smash Cadet
I know using swordies is fun for a lot of people, and that's great if you enjoy playing the game with them, but man, MAN, does it get ever so tiresome having to fight an FE character or Cloud every other match. I know disjointed hitboxes aren't exclusive to the aforementioned, but I find them especially to be a chore to fight. Oh well, just gotta git gud, right?

King Ching

Smash Cadet
I know using swordies is fun for a lot of people, and that's great if you enjoy playing the game with them, but man, MAN, does it get ever so tiresome having to fight an FE character or Cloud every other match. I know disjointed hitboxes aren't exclusive to the aforementioned, but I find them especially to be a chore to fight. Oh well, just gotta git gud, right?
I know your pain. Fighting swordies as Puff isn't always the most fun, especially Cloud. GIMPING Cloud and killing him at 50% is hella fun though.

Also RDR7, one of the best Puff Players, consistently wins the Cloud match up. Just takes experience I guess :-)

King Ching

Smash Cadet
I wanted to share a picture my friend Drake drew in regards to Ike's side B. Ike's will always try to side b above or to ledge. So basically if Jigglypuff Gimps and puts Ike in a low position as shown in the picture, then Ike is pretty dead.
ike side b.png

Jasper the Tourist

Smash Apprentice
I can't seem to get my Jigglypuff's GSP higher than 1,500,000. I'm strictly playing one on one matches. I can go strong for a while, but sure enough, a skilled FE character player appears and ruins my day. I was consistently losing to Ike, but I finally managed to win a few matches against him. Anyway, maybe I just suck, but I'm starting to get frustrated just sitting around that GSP with Jiggs.

King Ching

Smash Cadet
Hey Puffballs. I've been slowly getting better at the Sword match up as Puff. I am no means a master at it yet. But here is a video of be beating a very good Wolf & Lucina in tournament using just Jigglypuff. Its possible! I also finally beat every Chrom in my state in tournament as Jigglypuff.

ChelioxD

Smash Rookie
Hey Puffballs. I've been slowly getting better at the Sword match up as Puff. I am no means a master at it yet. But here is a video of be beating a very good Wolf & Lucina in tournament using just Jigglypuff. Its possible! I also finally beat every Chrom in my state in tournament as Jigglypuff.

Wow man you're amazing!! congratulations.
Jiggs feels better than brawl and Sm4ash, and I don't mind if she is still bottom tier. She feels usable and nice again since Melee

King Ching

Smash Cadet
Wow man you're amazing!! congratulations.
Jiggs feels better than brawl and Sm4ash, and I don't mind if she is still bottom tier. She feels usable and nice again since Melee
I actually think Puff is a solid mid-tier in this game. I feel like Puff can beat anyone with enough patience and practice.

Ethan Weegee

Smash Cadet
I still use Jigglypuff, they're fun to play and doesn't seem that bad of a character this time.

Desu~

Smash Ace
NNID
Mr. G-E
Switch FC
2211-2137-8924
Yeah, it's not like we needed something that could help us with the ever-present sword characters' high priority moves or green dudes with potential touch of death combos.

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

FancySmash

Smash Lord
Wow, I was kinda hoping this place would be a bit more lively. Figured I'd stop by to ask, if anyone's around, if they think Jigglypuff will be in Sword/Shield. I thought we only had to worry about her Smash appearances, but apparently we also have to worry about her appearances in her home games now...

Call_Me_Red

Smash Journeyman
Jiggs would also match the aesthetic of SwSh tbh. I'd love if she got a Galar variant, maybe where she's a pop star or something.

ZeroJanitor

Smash Ace
Slippi.gg
ZJ#732
NNID
ZeroJanitor
Switch FC
SW-3025-9002-7252
I've started to play Jigglypuff a little more in this game. Sm4sh Puff left me a little exasperated for the future of this character, and when I first tried her out in Ultimate it felt like more of the same.

But then lately I've actually taken the time to learn how she functions in this game and finding her suprisingly fun again. Obviously it's not Melee Puff but she feels like a solid character again and I might end up putting even more time into practicing her.

Call_Me_Red

Smash Journeyman
I've started to play Jigglypuff a little more in this game. Sm4sh Puff left me a little exasperated for the future of this character, and when I first tried her out in Ultimate it felt like more of the same.

But then lately I've actually taken the time to learn how she functions in this game and finding her suprisingly fun again. Obviously it's not Melee Puff but she feels like a solid character again and I might end up putting even more time into practicing her.
I really want to like Puff, but honestly she just seems too inconsistent. I feel like Rest and Sing are her only solid KO options, and obviously those are huge gambles. I just don't see anyway to be successful with Puff without using those moves accurately and in abundance.

DavemanCozy

Smash Photographer
NNID
CavemanCossy
3DS FC
0216-1810-7681
It's sad that Jigglypuff got treated better by Sakurai than by Game Freak.

I mean... At least she's in all Smash Bros games. Can't say the same for all main Pokemon games though

(This is in regards to Sword and Shield info we know now)

FancySmash

Smash Lord
It's sad that Jigglypuff got treated better by Sakurai than by Game Freak.

I mean... At least she's in all Smash Bros games. Can't say the same for all main Pokemon games though

(This is in regards to Sword and Shield info we know now)
Yeah, I always thought I'd have to worry about whether Jigglypuff got into Smash of all things, not its own home series of games. Ironic in a way.

I kinda hope Sw/Sh does poorly. Is that petty? I feel that's petty. But then again, I've been against cutting Pokemon since day one.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Yay for Puff buffs :)

Just a few things, but much better than nothing. Dair can combo into rest more often now too.

Ryu Myuutsu

Smash Champion
NNID
BahamurShin
3DS FC
3668-9945-1996
HB losing his **** over the puff buffs.

This was good for Puff mains. But bad for me because my bro uses Puff. I don't want to be hit those confirms into Rest.

I know, I'll threaten him by telling him that I'll write a letter to Sakurai asking him to remove those if hits me with them.

Last edited:

BuffThePuff08

Smash Rookie
Any other character: Ok, I can do this!
:ultganondorf:and :ultike:: Something tells me this isn't going to be fun.

:ultmarth:: MAKE THE BAD SWORDSMAN GO AWAY

BlackSheepOfSmash

Smash Rookie
Somewhere at the Characters Unfit for Smash Wiki from Fandom, I found Jigglypuff’s webpage that said that she was definitely not actually a good fit to join Smash. Why? The reason is because Jigglypuff wasn’t popular or interesting enough to actually become a playable character for Smash. Now I wonder why you think that Jigglypuff isn’t popular or interesting enough to actually join Smash?

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
Somewhere at the Characters Unfit for Smash Wiki from Fandom, I found Jigglypuff’s webpage that said that she was definitely not actually a good fit to join Smash. Why? The reason is because Jigglypuff wasn’t popular or interesting enough to actually become a playable character for Smash. Now I wonder why you think that Jigglypuff isn’t popular or interesting enough to actually join Smash?
Generally speaking, it's not a good idea to go to a character discussion thread (whether it's for one that's already in Smash or one that people want to see in Smash) and go "this character shouldn't be in Smash Bros. because x, y, and z". The "Characters Unfit For Smash" wiki doesn't seem like a great resource either; from the sounds of it, it seems like a bunch of people whining and complaining because "this character got in when my favourite should have gotten in instead!" The characters are already in Smash; that isn't going to change.

As for why Jigglypuff got in, Pokemon was incredibly popular even in the late 90's, so a second character seemed justified even back then. Jigglypuff had a recurring role in the anime, and more importantly, she has a similar body type to Kirby, making it quicker/easier to include her over someone like Mewtwo or Charizard, who didn't have anyone in the roster that they could easily be based on. Complaining about Jigglypuff getting into Smash seems like complaining about Lucina, Isabelle, or Ken getting into Smash.

Last edited:
Top Bottom