• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Take Number 5 - the singing Pokemon takes stage! Jigglypuff Discussion

Should Jigglypuff have a moveset change?

• Total voters

Zerp

Formerly "ZeroSoul"
Administrator
Writing Team
Hello,

Anyone know if there's an Ultimate Jigglypuff Discord? I've been looking around for the past few weeks to no result. I'm not sure if posting invite links or discussion about other messaging platforms is allowed. Any sort of information about the topic would be helpful!

Thank you!
I don't know this for a fact but I've heard that the Smash 4 Puffcord is going to become the Ultimate Puffcord so I'm assuming that's what's going to be the case.
(Also I really need to start talking there lol)

pikazz

Smash Lord
NNID
pikamaxi
looking at the matches again

her fsmash deals 60% shield damage!
now with pound doing 75-80%, she has shield killing potential

if she has now quick moves that can "true combo" into a shield break, that would be really great for her! specially when in smash 4, she didnt really have an answer to shields

Last edited:

MysticKnives

Smash Ace
looking at the matches again

her fsmash deals 60% shield damage!
now with pound doing 75-80%, she has shield killing potential

if she has now quick moves that can "true combo" into a shield break, that would be really great for her! specially when in smash 4, she didnt really have an answer to shields
Are these videos in 60fps though?

ZeroJanitor

Smash Ace
Slippi.gg
ZJ#732
NNID
ZeroJanitor
Switch FC
SW-3025-9002-7252
its relevant for analyzing frame data

MysticKnives

Smash Ace
we know that Smash is always 60fps.

if the stream was 30; we can download a clip, open up in an video editing software (like sony vegas) and set the frame rate to 60 and simply count.
sure it will give us in between frames but it will only be between 1-2 frames at max
That’s why I was wondering. Thought you were just watching a video stream of it but live makes that entirely moot.

TreeBranch

Smash Ace
We got another new victory animation!
https://youtu.be/6HR8RpIQS4g

This one's so good! The way she tries to present her name is just the best. Definitely one of my favorite victory poses of this game. She's definitely received some buffs in this department

pikazz

Smash Lord
NNID
pikamaxi
we missed something great!!

https://twitter.com/ThePkayM/status/1058758079444017154
JIGGLYPUFF REST HAS FASTER FAF!!
I REPEAT!!
JIGGLYPUFF CAN AWAKE UP BEFORE HER ANIMATION DOES IT!

if rest got this buff, imaging the possible FAF she could do with sing! almost having a hitbox around you most of the time and you can just cancel it asap the hitbox is over

Last edited:

DNeon

Smash Lord
NNID
D_Neon_Lamp

I REPEAT!!

if rest got this buff, imaging the possible FAF she could do with sing! almost having a hitbox around you most of the time and you can just cancel it asap the hitbox is over
I believe the last time I read this that it was only for a rest that hits, but I can't say what's being hit in that gif...

Last edited:

Heracr055

Smash Ace
I haven't paid too much attention to Puff footage yet, since I haven't found a good showcase yet. Aside from the Rest change where she can wake up early (whether it's on hit only is up for debate), how does she look? Also, do you know of a good showcase of her gameplay?

shammah121

Smash Cadet
There are a handful of characters that haven't really been showcased properly. I am waiting a decent Puff player to use her and kick some butt! It's been this same Japanese player that isn't using Puff's full power----

DarkKry4

Smash Ace
I would love to see Serynder or Master Puffy have a go at the new Puff. I don't think there really is a prominent puff main in japan.

Rakurai

Smash Ace
Dair seems to easily combo into rest even at high percents now due to the hits linking better and also launching in the proper direction more consistently.

Even dair into rest on a grounded opponent seems to be legit if the combo counter can be trusted.

Heracr055

Smash Ace
I highly recommend anyone posting here to jump on the Jigglypuff Ultimate discord, since there's a lot discussion going on there

Chibi-Chan

Smash Journeyman
Confirmed that Dair can combo into rest upon landing at any % you want though I can't get it very consistently.

Chibi-Chan

Smash Journeyman
You guys most likely already know, but Rest sleep duration is a lot less now because you can move out of the animation where Puff shakes her head after waking up.

Nohbl

Smash Journeyman
The reason why the Melee launching of Rest was important even setting aside its killpower was because it could set Jigglypuff up for an edgeguard if the opponent wasn't KO'd.
Jigglypuff can't do anything important really to opponents above her, especially if they have extended hitboxes.
So while vertical Rest makes it harder to kill some opponents like heavys, its real frustration comes from its lack of utility.
But this only matters in a game where Rest doesn't take as long for her to recover from.

Chibi-Chan

Smash Journeyman
The reason why the Melee launching of Rest was important even setting aside its killpower was because it could set Jigglypuff up for an edgeguard if the opponent wasn't KO'd.
Jigglypuff can't do anything important really to opponents above her, especially if they have extended hitboxes.
So while vertical Rest makes it harder to kill some opponents like heavys, its real frustration comes from its lack of utility.
But this only matters in a game where Rest doesn't take as long for her to recover from.
I would consider "not losing a stock on hit" to be pretty welcome. You can just use it for damage after a certain point.

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
How's everyone's favorite singing puffball been performing for ya'll, so far?

I don't have Ultimate yet so I don't want to find out too much, but I'm making exceptions for a small number of my planned mains. I'm really curious about her stats this time around. I'm seriously hoping she can hold her own against the majority of the cast much better than she does in the past two games.

Sugarwatermixlegit

Smash Rookie
I also want to know how Jiggs is in this game, I got to play a little bit of each of my favorite characters on release night but until I get the game I can't do much labbing myself, and I've seen zero to none in terms of people talking about jiggs :/

Rayopuff

Smash Apprentice
Hot take since I'm not particularly adept at competitive play but Jiggly is much improved from her Sm4sh incarnation, her aerial mobility seems improved and the improved edgeguarding game along with engine changes will definitely favor her in the long run, she will definitely not be top tier or anything like that but she seems solidly lower mid tier or upper low tier, which is a huge improvement from being the absolute bottom tier character.

The Belmonts absolutely wreck her though.

THE 6r

Smash Ace
NNID
6r$¢€£¥™©®
3DS FC
2981-7049-0538
Switch FC
SW-1195-6602-2525
Hot take since I'm not particularly adept at competitive play but Jiggly is much improved from her Sm4sh incarnation, her aerial mobility seems improved and the improved edgeguarding game along with engine changes will definitely favor her in the long run, she will definitely not be top tier or anything like that but she seems solidly lower mid tier or upper low tier, which is a huge improvement from being the absolute bottom tier character.

The Belmonts absolutely wreck her though.
I mean, it's hard to be worse then Smash 4 Puff.

But yeah, Belmonts demolish her.

King Ching

Smash Cadet
As a competitive Puff Player, I can say that Puff IS better in Ultimate than in Smash 4.

Also I can confirm her pound does way more shield damage. I've broken shields way more often in Ultimate using pound and even rollout as well. I'll upload video of me breaking a full Ike Shield in two hits of rollout when I have time.

Rainami

Smash Rookie
honestly all I want is for puff not to be the worst character in the game this time around. Anyfin else is just a bonus.

R O F L

Smash Ace
Fast fall Uair might true combo into rest? I've tried it with shuffling on, and to 8 CPUS, and it seems to work at about 40% to Mario. It also seems to KO on all battlefield platforms.
48425256_491174504738415_9214943515723694080_n.jpg

This is pretty much the best thing I can show y'all rn. Someone mind testing this with DI that isn't shuffling? (I don't have a second controller.)

King Ching

Smash Cadet
Here is a clip from my tournament match against Dandy's Chrom. Rollout breaks full shields in two hits and I thought I would share this to show everyone how amazing and scary Rollout is now :-)

https://clips.twitch.tv/HilariousCrowdedClipzDerp

PS: I lost the set against Chrom in the end because I didn't Wall of Pain him all the way off and I thought he used his double jump. I learned from my mistake after this and made sure everyone is going to get kicked all the way into the blast zone. The next day I fought Pyro in Winner's Semis and I made sure my opponent was dead for good.

https://clips.twitch.tv/ExuberantStrongJamCclamChamp

BuffThePuff08

Smash Rookie

I REPEAT!!

Hello, from the future here. Trust me, it feels good to act as soon as Puff opens her eyes. :039:

Jasper the Tourist

Smash Apprentice
When I play one on one competitive matches, I can often win with Jiggs. However, when I go into casual mode and play 4 player matches with items and hazards, I almost always come in at 3rd or 4th. So I guess what I'm saying is that I think Jiggs doesn't lend herself as well to the more chaotic style matches. At least in my experience.

Rayopuff

Smash Apprentice
I have the opposite problem, I wreck with her in 4-player mode but not so much in 1-1 matches, use her aerial mobility to your advantage, don't stay close to the chaos but float away and look for chances to attack, her floating ability is not just for show!

Jasper the Tourist

Smash Apprentice
I have the opposite problem, I wreck with her in 4-player mode but not so much in 1-1 matches, use her aerial mobility to your advantage, don't stay close to the chaos but float away and look for chances to attack, her floating ability is not just for show!
Word. I think I'm just not good at managing chaos. That goes for my life as well, lol.

Top Bottom