• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Taj is the best Mewtwo (Ask Taj Stuff Thread)

Shadow Huan

Smash Champion
LOL hi Taj! :awesome:

@ the Phenom: who's Shadowball? for real tho, that hasn't been my tag or username for like a year :urg:

@ BlackGold: Disable is your friend

:phone:

Shiny Mewtwo aka Jigglysir

PhD; Smash Community Studies
Premium
3DS FC
2191-7691-7941
Yo Taj, I noticed that there's an AZ tournament this weekend named after you, and after reading the thread I see that it's hosted at your house :O

Is there going to be a stream? I'm trying to decide what to watch this Saturday :p

And if there's no stream will there at least be vids recorded? I wanna see some more recent vids of your Mewtwo :D

Shadow Huan

Smash Champion
after last time, not gonna overhype it. the crew members who have seen what i have so far liked it a lot, and i personally think it's a massive improvement over the one from a few years ago...

but it'll be what it is *shrugs*

EDIT: Impulse? is that the canadian tournament series?

Shadow Huan

Smash Champion
thanks!

10char

EDIT: anyone else from these boards see this yet? where is everybody? feedback (positive or negative) would be nice! ;_;

Shadow Huan

Smash Champion
it doesn't work on a mobile phone or anything of the like, gotta be on an actual computer. it's 'cause of one of the songs i used. :/

at least they didn't take it down lol

EDIT: also i was rewatching it on a computer earlier and it was massivly desynced, hopefully it was just that computer's connection. otherwise i'll have to reupload it

The Phenom

Smash Lord
So it actually loaded all.

This was exactly what I thought I was going to see as Galaxy Blast I. The first one even had my vomit being disgusted from your first video.

The music was whimsical which went well with Mewtwo. Recording wasn't CRrPp this time. The clips weren't all amazing but you made it work with your overall editing.
-It came out nice, its a solid put together video and I enjoyed it.

Shadow Huan

Smash Champion
So it actually loaded all.

This was exactly what I thought I was going to see as Galaxy Blast II. The first one even had my vomit being disgusted from your first video.
um... thanks?

The music was whimsical which went well with Mewtwo. Recording wasn't CRrPp this time. The clips weren't all amazing but you made it work with your overall editing.
-It came out nice, its a solid put together video and I enjoyed it.
okay so you did enjoy it... good, mission accomplished :)

Shadow Huan

Smash Champion
i'll probably make a thread for it tomorrow when i can get to an actual computer

i'm just wary of doing that

once bitten twice shy is the phrase i believe lol

Fish&Herbs19

Smash Journeyman
So I started picking up Mewtwo (and Melee in general) and I was wondering about a few things.

1) Any suggestions for sweet-spotting the edge with Teleport?

2) Getting out of shield pressure. Crappy example, but when I play against Lv 9's, when they rapid jab my shield, I can't shield-grab (can't tell if this is just me), or do any attack so that they GTFO.

3) Alternatives for spot-dodging?

Thank you!

Metros

Smash Ace
NNID
metros2soul
So I started picking up Mewtwo (and Melee in general) and I was wondering about a few things.

1) Any suggestions for sweet-spotting the edge with Teleport?

2) Getting out of shield pressure. Crappy example, but when I play against Lv 9's, when they rapid jab my shield, I can't shield-grab (can't tell if this is just me), or do any attack so that they GTFO.

3) Alternatives for spot-dodging?

Thank you!
Always good to have more Mewtwo mains. I'm not the best at giving advice, but I'm a long time Mewtwo main so I'll do my best.

1.) Side B as close to the edge as possible. If you're going off stage, just before Mewtwo performs his tippering animation, side B straight into the ledge to do instant ledge cancelled teleport. Personally I always drop down and away slightly from the ledge, jump back with Y and then side B back to the ledge. The narrower the range of the jump, the closer the sweetspot will be. But if you want to sweet spot up to the ledge, it's just a matter of up B back to the ledge and just as you perform the up B you hit L or R to sweetspot. The timing takes a bit of practice, and I don't usually do this as I'm fluent in SUNCing and ledge-cancelled teleports anyway. Just be sure to hit L or R to sweetspot the moment he grabs the edge.

2.) I wouldn't train against Lv 9's at all as they teach you bad habits, and usually do stupid things that a human would never do etc like grab like idiots then kill themselves with air dodges over the ledge. They are really only good to train against if you're testing out a combo, or you want a quick match, otherwise, you'd be better of practicing against Lv 3's. I would most likely just WD back in that situation and throw out a SB, then WD forward > grab or WD back > teleport behind and throw out shffl'ed attacks. I don't train against Lv 9's anymore lol, they PMO too much.

3.) Teleports. If you're coming in from the ledge, land cancelled teleports reduce lag and Mewtwo virtually lands right back on the stage. Try double tapping B as well when you teleport. It reduces the size of it.

Hope this has been of some use, and sorry if any terms are wrong that's just how I describe them. Watch plenty of TAJ/Forward/Azen/ matches too. That's how I brought my Mewtwo up to tournament level, just by watching and practicing over and over.

Good luck :)

MookieRah

Kinda Sorta OK at Smash
I'd say about the only good thing to train on a level 9 for is for safe spacing. Play against Link or Peach and just try not to get blasted by their nairs when you combo them.

Tarv

Smash Journeyman
This is the first and perhaps the last time I'll be posting in the mewtwo boards but.... The battlefield trick is one of the greatest things in this game.

Have a nice life Mewtwo boards.

.K1

Smash Apprentice
Hopefully Taj can answer this or give me video reference, but how do I deal with people that crouch cancel all the time? Also, does Mewtwos throw whiff on crouchers? (aside from jiggs/kirby). Lastly, could someone help me out with the Falco matchup? this ****ing bird gets free safe pressure and Idk wtf mewtwo is supposed to do except teleport around / dodge and *hope* to land a uthrow.

MookieRah

Kinda Sorta OK at Smash
I don't think M2's grab whiffs on characters crouching, I don't recall that ever being a problem. This hitbox for the grab is weird though, I would study the gif of it to get a better feel for it if I was you. Keep in mind that it extends a bit behind him too.

I have a broad, vague question, mostly for Taj cause he has the perfect insight for this, but it's really open to anybody that has an answer. How the hell do you punish stuff with Mewtwo? It just seems like M2 just doesn't have the moveset to punish a lot of small mistakes an opponent would make against him, at least nothing outside of possibly a tilt, and if I'm lucky the occasional grab. It's incredibly frustrating when I play him now and I see so many openings that, if I was playing Marth, it would have costed my opponent a stock. I know that they are two different characters and obviously M2 can't punish hard like Marth does in most situations, but it just seems like there has to be something that he can do, and I'm wondering if it's my mentality that is preventing me from punishing properly.

.K1

Smash Apprentice
depending on the opponent, shouldnt a grab be a good enough punish in itself? I know throws are ******** good vs FFers, spacies in particular. Against other characters I can see what you mean though.

Top Bottom