• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Tafokints On Why Smashers Are Skeptical

LiteralGrill

Smokin' Hot~

To an outsider, the Smash scene may seem a bit on edge sometimes and all together a bit too suspicious, but there are most certainly reasons why. California Smasher, tournament organizer, and blogger for MeleeItOnMe Daniel "Tafokints" Lee has released another of his Tafo's Talk videos on the MeleeItOnMe Youtube channel to explain the skeptical nature of Smashers.

Hopefully this informed those who might not have understood why the Smash players tend to be a bit more dubious when it comes to things surrounding smash. To keep up with Tafokints be sure to follow him on Twitter.

SmashCapps found the video to be a very informative watch. While you're following Tafokints be sure to follow SmashCapps on Twitter to keep up to date with everything Smash.

Last edited by a moderator:

Captain Zack

Banned via Administration
NNID
Chibi_Zack
Warning Received
did someone just post and asian grill gif?

k
v my reaction to this video

Mega Bidoof

Smash Hero
NNID
Link46
3DS FC
1160-9840-1542
His at least

His at least makes sense in context. Yours does not. Please keep spam to a minimum, thanks.
He used it as a reaction gif tho. The chick in the gif kinda glanced then looked away. That I pile the posted didn't really care about the vid.

*slowly extends hand to reach for popcorn*

Last edited:

The Derrit

Smash Lord
BRoomer
He used it as a reaction gif tho. The chick in the gif kinda glanced then looked away. That I pile the posted didn't really care about the vid.

eh. it's a warning either way so it's not like it's points - but throwing out a gif for gif's sake shouldn't be your first reaction here is all. no real harm done.

Baky

Smash Journeyman
I think there is a distinction to be made about MVG.

M2K is a co-owner and many other high level smashers are personally invested. I think MVG, in its current state, has a pretty balanced crew that could perhaps do more good than harm if given the chance.

Obviously, at the moment, they're on all of our bad sides, but if an MVG circuit became a reality, we could expect Melee to last 10 years past the already 13 years as a competitive game.

Last edited:

Captain Zack

NNID
Chibi_Zack
eh. it's a warning either way so it's not like it's points - but throwing out a gif for gif's sake shouldn't be your first reaction here is all. no real harm done.
i was going to post the gif anyway because that was my reaction. you shouldn't keep ******** about everything i do because we have "bad blood" lol.

TheFadedWarrior

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MortifiedPanda
Can someone please explain to me the giant cat plush that tafo is holding in the picture? I noticed most of the people in the Melee it on Me top 100 players had one in their picture.

Last edited:

The Derrit

Smash Lord
BRoomer
i was going to post the gif anyway because that was my reaction. you shouldn't keep *****ing about everything i do because we have "bad blood" lol.
...do I know you?

I honestly have no idea who you are. My first reaction was that gif was spam, and I'm standing by that. Have a nice night.

D

Deleted member

i was going to post the gif anyway because that was my reaction. you shouldn't keep *****ing about everything i do because we have "bad blood" lol.
Don't turn on Derrit's social justice warrior switch please.

Anyways, this a very informative video, I really can relate to Tafo's opinions and outlooks on the Smash Community.

C-SAF

Smash Journeyman
Yup people are skeptical of them because they want to "make money" off smashers, but if a startup gaming circuit could turn a profit running smash events it would be the best thing for the community. Its the logical next step for the scene, and its basically what Apex has been trying to do with the "road to apex" thing.

Captain Zack

NNID
Chibi_Zack
...do I know you?

I honestly have no idea who you are. My first reaction was that gif was spam, and I'm standing by that. Have a nice night.
ok stand by that and give a warning to ven too. be a good mod and give warnings to people on other news posts that just post emoticons. be a good mod and give a good reason why i should be warning'd and ven shouldn't.

The Derrit

Smash Lord
BRoomer
ok stand by that and give a warning to ven too. be a good mod and give warnings to people on other news posts that just post emoticons. be a good mod and give a good reason why i should be warning'd and ven shouldn't.
Because ven's reaction gif is an actual reaction, and yours is a girl looking back and forth at a camera with no visible emotion or reaction, or even non-reaction.

You pretty much said yourself 'oh he posted a Korean girl? i will too,' not realizing that the gif in his post had the context of being a person who is skeptical/deep in thought, while yours has no context other than 'Korean girl gif chain!'

It's fine. A warning is not a big deal. I'm not discussing this with you any further

Snagrio

Shiny Lord
NNID
WingedFish64
3DS FC
4081-5821-0404
Look no further then the comments as to why the rest of the gaming world doesn't take competitive Smash seriously. Too much arguing.

C-SAF

Smash Journeyman
Look no further then the comments as to why the rest of the gaming world doesn't take competitive Smash seriously. Too much arguing.
Last time I checked we were in Evo for the 4th time. I doubt the people playing SF or Tekken care if there are arguments about Korean girl gifs in the comment section of Tafo's video.

Last edited:

Captain Zack

NNID
Chibi_Zack
Because ven's reaction gif is an actual reaction, and yours is a girl looking back and forth at a camera with no visible emotion or reaction, or even non-reaction.

You pretty much said yourself 'oh he posted a Korean girl? i will too,' not realizing that the gif in his post had the context of being a person who is skeptical/deep in thought, while yours has no context other than 'Korean girl gif chain!'

It's fine. A warning is not a big deal. I'm not discussing this with you any further
k but w/e my context should be taken as "oh look, oh wait nobody cares". but ok think whatever you want lol

DestinNotDustin

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
5172-3310-2014
You shouldn't bother with reaction images at all. They come off as tacky. Just because others do it doesn't mean you should follow the trend.

Mega Bidoof

Smash Hero
NNID
Link46
3DS FC
1160-9840-1542
k but w/e my context should be taken as "oh look, oh wait nobody cares". but ok think whatever you want lol
I interpreted the gif correctly. I must be a gif god.

Jaedrik

Man-at-Arms-at-Keyboard

A 'non-reaction', as you call it, is a reaction in and of itself. It signifies his nonchalant attitude towards the video, how it is insignificant to him, thus perhaps boring--yet not aggressively so. Subtle.

The response which some haughty authorities take, is 'this person is posting a reaction gif because another person posted one. He's doing it for the intentions I do not wish him to have, therefore the action itself must be wrong'. This is of questionable logic, for if someone's intentions be dubious, yet their actions and effects acceptable, they deserve no hand-slapping.

I have confidence you have the intelligence to see, though, so why you chose to ignore it, or why you choose to make an arbitrary distinction between 'this reaction is acceptable' and 'this one is not', must be put to scrutiny. He took the passing of the other gif as a warrant to post his own reaction, and anyone with a thought to consistency in moderation must admit it as acceptable if they indeed see the 'non-reaction' that is a reaction.

You are in the wrong, and your nonchalance about him receiving the warning is the greater offense to the decency we ought to afford our fellow mankind. The only acceptable outcome from this impasse is that you remove his warning and apologize, though it need not be public, and you will be a better person for it. And, on a broader scale, if you are not satisfied with my reaction because you believe it out of due proportion with the punishment he was given, this isn't about the warning he received, but for your benefit of becoming a better authority and person, and for mutual understanding to be reached.

Edit: More on topic, I'm glad this video was put here--probably wouldn't have seen it otherwise!
Tafo is very good at informing as to why we are as we are.
And, we should be as Tafo says we are. We need to be wary at all times of those who might take advantage of our brotherhood.

Last edited:

Wave Dan Landon

It's simple; we gimp the fox
*Ignoring the idiotic discussion of reaction gifs above me*

Tafo's talk is really on point, the melee community has always had an anti-consumerism mentality due to being kicked out of MLG way back when brawl came about, not to mention the fact that brawl wholly failed to deliver as a competitive fighting game.

Companies (nintendo chiefly) have failed time and again to provide tangible benefit for the prosperity of the community. It's been hammered into our nature to only trust ourselves.

The only entity that has every actually cared about the smash community has been the smash community. Given the M2K's lifelong devotion to smash, I give MVG the benefit of the doubt that their intentions are legitimate.

WinterShorts

The best NEOH Yoshi
NNID
Jelwshuman
3DS FC
4382-2513-9345
Tafokins releases opinions on Smasher's spectating nature and the comments section is talking about Korean girl gifs? Look, I've heard of flame wars about Melee vs. any other game in Smash and that's just bound to happen every now and then, but how in the flying f**k does this happen?

And look at that: now that I mentioned it I guess I'm somewhat contributing to the conversation. Great. Just great guys...

Kirbyfan391

Smash Champion
Last time I checked we were in Evo for the 4th time. I doubt the people playing SF or Tekken care if there are arguments about Korean girl gifs in the comment section of Tafo's video.
Also acting like these things are exclusive to the Smash community. They're in the internet in general.

Tino

Smash Hero
NNID
FaustinoRojo10
3DS FC
5284-1678-8857
Switch FC
SW-6232-2426-8037
Ignoring this Asian mamacita reaction gif argument between an idiot and a moderator doing his job, let me just say that I've always been critical of the Smash community, mainly the "competitive" scene. Too much arguing and taking this **** way too seriously? It never ends well.

Kirbyfan391

Smash Champion
Ignoring this Asian mamacita reaction gif argument between an idiot and a moderator doing his job, let me just say that I've always been critical of the Smash community, mainly the "competitive" scene. Too much arguing and taking this **** way too seriously? It never ends well.
Isn't the competitive scene by virtue supposed to take these things seriously? I mean, for a lot of people, going to tournaments is a job or a significant past-time.

MarioMeteor

Smash Hero
NNID
BGenius23
3DS FC
0662-2900-1492

Your blood pressure is going through the roof from all that popcorn. I'll just relieve you of that...

Zethoro

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Zethor
I never knew how much crap the Melee community had gone through...
Hm. Maybe Omni was right; Melee just has so much love from it's players...that's probably why every other Smash game comes and goes, but Melee still stands strong.
...Now if only I could develop the skill level in Melee that even any decent Melee player has.

DestinNotDustin

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
5172-3310-2014
From what I've learned from competitive fighting games, the players are very skeptical of eSports. The rhetoric everyone likes to repeat is "Sponsors like MLG are in it for the money. They did not contribute to the community before 2009."
Take Street Fighter 4 for example. Before 2009, the FGC was a very small. The only events players looked forward to were weeklies and EVO.
Now compare that today, were we have majors every month.

Jaedrik

Man-at-Arms-at-Keyboard
What? Why are we taking this too seriously? Because we're not supposed to take Smash seriously? Because it's a party game? Deny you the fact of history, of how we've been screwed over and taken advantage of numerous times? Do you wish us to sit idly by and think nothing of people who have run poor events, to continue to trust them in the future? Or, are you just disagreeing to disagree?

Doctor X

Smash Lord
Skeptical... until they see a video for Rayman :/

I'm leaning towards more gullible than anything.
We're talking about the competitive community's stance on corporate tournament sponsors, not the casuals who lose their **** over DLC which Nintendo will produce with or without tournaments actually existing.

A whole lot of of the people concerned about the MVG debacle this past weekend are primarily Melee fans, and as such many couldn't care less whether they add Rayman or Goku or whoever to Smash 4. Nintendo doesn't have our attention or trust because of their past (and present) actions and design choices, and that's precisely the kind of thing Tafo is talking about in this video.

Last edited:

Amaya01

Smash Rookie
NNID
Amaya01
3DS FC
2368-0409-0662
I think there is a distinction to be made about MVG.

M2K is a co-owner and many other high level smashers are personally invested. I think MVG, in its current state, has a pretty balanced crew that could perhaps do more good than harm if given the chance.

Obviously, at the moment, they're on all of our bad sides, but if an MVG circuit became a reality, we could expect Melee to last 10 years past the already 13 years as a competitive game.
I could see it happening too, but in regards to m2k, he needs to get his life straight so that he can think about doing what is good for the community. I saw a while ago on his Facebook that he was about thinking about quitting tournament play, and focusing more on just helping the community. I personally love watching him play, but he probably should quit tournament play since he's been stressed for so long. Maybe get to doing whatever he meant by helping out the community.

Last edited:

TKDbeast

Smash Cadet
NNID
Kyle
What? Why are we taking this too seriously? Because we're not supposed to take Smash seriously? Because it's a party game? Deny you the fact of history, of how we've been screwed over and taken advantage of numerous times? Do you wish us to sit idly by and think nothing of people who have run poor events, to continue to trust them in the future? Or, are you just disagreeing to disagree?
I think it's hilarious how we are discussing this on a post explaining the behavior of Smash Bros players.

Top Bottom