• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Tactical Advantage: A Robin positivity thread!

HenryXLII

Smash Journeyman
NNID
HenryXLII
3DS FC
3153-3904-2933
So when Ultimate first launched I uploaded a thread complaining about all of my problems with Robin, and what I find lacking in them. I still have issues with our lovely tactician, but I really do still enjoy playing them. So! I think its time to highlight all the cool stuff this character has and the things that make me happy to main them!

-Archfire goes FAR. The range on this thing is really impressive, and while the move is unsafe from even mid range, it is a fantastic pressure tool when spaced correctly and an excellent choice for guarding the ledge.

-Once you actually land an Archfire, the world is your oister combo wise. Forward Smash? Thoron? Another Archfire into an up air????? It feels sooooo good to land these combos, and I feel this move's potential is still untapped!

-That new victory theme is so damn good. Purpose is one of my favorite songs period.

-Level 1 thunder has just enough speed and knock back to disorient your opponent and give you a free follow up. No one ever sees it coming and it opens a surprising amount of nasty set ups.

-Thoron can kill SOOO early. I have even gotten kills as early as 60% with this thing, and It is really good at winning spam wars against characters with faster projectiles.

-We can string Levin aerials for days now and the shield pressure is so good. You can easily get at least two aerials out if your opponent is on a platform. And hell, sometimes you even get three! Thanks to the new air dodge mechanics, landing against Robin is actually really scary.

- I find Nosferatu much easier to land now that the Levin aerials are so fast. Opponents get scared easier, and the healing is enough to help make certain comebacks possible, or to cement a strong lead.

-This has nothing to do with power, but I actually really like the cooldown rates on all of our tomes. They feel just right, and stay away long enough to force a shift in gameplay, but not long enough to make you feel helpless.

-This is not new to Ultimate, but Fire Emblem Awakening is my favorite video game and I am still so happy Robin is in the Smash Yes we have Chrom and Lucina, but having such a unique move set and playstyle really makes Robin stand out as far as Awakening reps are concerned.

What are your favorite things about playing Robin in Ultimate? And what kinda tricks do you play on your opponent to get an advantage? I want to know what draws people to playing this character!

Last edited:

ItsASquid

Smash Apprentice
It's a little change, but I love Levin N-Air. So many mind games and "get off me" options in just a single move. Though I must ask how people pressure defensive opponents as Robin?

HenryXLII

Smash Journeyman
NNID
HenryXLII
3DS FC
3153-3904-2933
Though I must ask how people pressure defensive opponents as Robin?
So far I found the best strategy around that is to play defensive yourself and to charge as many Thorons as possible. Simply put, no zoner has a projectile that can beat Thoron. So I just keep dodging their projectiles and charging my book, and eventually they get impatient and approach me which is exactly what I want them to do. Once you punish one of their moves, do not relent. They might raise their shield in fear after you whack em with a few Levin swings but that is exactly what Nosferatu is for!

Archfire can also help you approach, though you will need to find a hole in their defense to land one. I usually chuck one from above (the middle platform of battlefield is my favorite spot) and once I see those flames I start chucking more and more. Defensive opponents such as Links and the Belmonts is not exactly a good match up for Robin, but I would not call it a hopeless one.

HenryXLII

Smash Journeyman
NNID
HenryXLII
3DS FC
3153-3904-2933
I dyed my hair to match theirs. . . . I dyed my eyes to match theirs. I cut some of the flesh off my fingers so they would match the slim hands that Robin uses to grasp their books. I bring a sword into my classrooms every day. My coat is pure white, and it has long sleeves that go around and around and around, but sometimes, when no one is watching, I like to pretend that my clothes match their clothes. . . .
I hate to break this to you, but if your REALLY gonna go that far, you gotta chop off your toes.

1554061444935.png

Awakening rules. Sorry.

Top Bottom