• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Tabuu, the Ruler of Subspace (Yes, you read that correctly.)

Perkilator

Smash Legend
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)
D64A0BBE-BED8-4130-9751-3EF8E502B1F5.png

Who is Tabuu?

As any Brawl player would know, Tabuu is the final boss and main antagonist of The Subspace Emissary. To put it briefly, here’s a bit of backstory surrounding Tabuu:

Tabuu is the true embodiment of Subspace. His plan was to cut World of Trophies into pieces and take them to Subspace for his world. However, he himself cannot leave Subspace, which is why he created the Subspace Army to act in his stead. According to the Ancient Ministertrophy, Tabuu took over the Isle of the Ancients, the home of the R.O.B.s, and forced them to serve him under the threat of annihilation. Tabuu first discovered that Mr. Game & Watch had Shadow Bugs in him and captured him to harness the power, and thus the Subspace Army was born. Tabuu studied and took control of the master of the World of Trophies, Master Hand, who he in turn used to enlist the help of Ganondorf, Bowser and Wario. These three were sent to hunt down any fighters that would stand in the way of Tabuu's plans.
-From SmashWiki

But why should a Final Boss be playable?

Ridley, being a boss in Brawl and Smash 4, would also become playable in Ultimate, as we saw at E3 this year. This means that bosses can, in fact, be playable.

But what would his moveset be?

Well, after watching a video of his battle, here’s the moveset I created:

Intro: Tabuu comes in through a Subspace portal in thin air.

Notable Palette Swaps: Primid, Fire Primid, Metal Primid, Galleom, Duon, Ancient Minister, Master/Crazy Hand

Main Weapon: Subspace powers…or something.

Idle Animation: Tabuu shows his wings and flaps them.

Grab: Tabuu throws his Chain of Light (which travels slightly farther than the Belmonts’ whips) towards the player and grabs them.

Pummel: Tabuu shoots the opponent with his laser eyes.

F-Throw: Tabuu shoots several lasers from his hand, followed by a fireball.

U-Throw: Several orbs of energy surround Tabuu and flurry around him.

D-Throw: Tabuu becomes a pair of brackets, flies up, and then flies back to down.

B-Throw: Tabuu throws the opponent to behind him, and then performs a diving attack with his left arm.

Special Moves:

B : Dragon Breath; Tabuu takes the shape of a dragon’s head and charges a powerful laser.

B + Forwards : Rocket Slash; Tabuu becomes a spear-like object and charges forward, dealing a good amount of damage.

B + Up : Flash Warp; Tabuu teleports four times and each time leaves behind a small cloud of energy that damages whoever touches it.

B + Down : Subspace Shuriken; Tabuu summons a spinning disc and throws it across the ground, rapidly hitting the opponent and possibly even KO’ing them if they don’t get out of it.

Final Smash: Off Waves; Tabuu spawns three giant waves of energy. The first two deal 20% damage, and the last one deals twice as much, with a high chance of KO’ing everyone in the area. The only one to escape any of them is to dodge them.

Taunts:

1: “Tsk, tsk.” Tabuu wags his left index finger.

2: Tabuu grows tremendously, and then returns to normal size quickly.

1+2: Tabuu creates a projection of Master Hand in his right hand, and then crushes it.

Winposes:

1: Tabuu closes his wings, and then flaps them.

2: The dark ring of energy surrounding Tabuu in “The Crushing, Ruinous Defeat” appears while he controls Master Hand.

3: Tabuu commands an army of Primids, which the camera pans down on.

Icon: The Subspace emblem

Victory Music: The beginning of Tabuu’s theme from Brawl.

Kirby Hat: Tabuu’s skin.

So, what do you think?

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
I don't know for sure if I would want Tabuu... But I would want Master Hand to get in the roster first because of how iconic he is to Smash. I will be honest though, I would play Tabuu in a heartbeat if he got in.

Last edited:

Tetrin

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-7468-3675-9681
The reason I think it'd be better to have Tabuu than Master Hand is simply because Tabuu is a memorable one off. Master Hand is a boss in every game and I think it'd be weird for him to be playable instead of a boss, but we may never get to see Tabuu fight again. That's why I want him to be playable.

silenthunder

Banned via Administration
3DS FC
0490-6839-9144
The reason I think it'd be better to have Tabuu than Master Hand is simply because Tabuu is a memorable one off. Master Hand is a boss in every game and I think it'd be weird for him to be playable instead of a boss, but we may never get to see Tabuu fight again. That's why I want him to be playable.
We can have Glover playable instead of Master Hand. I support Tabuu for smash.

silenthunder

Banned via Administration
3DS FC
0490-6839-9144
I thought Scorpion when I saw the fire. Also I think Maxamillion dude tweeted that he knew who it was and couldn't believe it so I thought Scorpion before too

Last edited:

Isaac: Venus Adept

Smash Lord
The second I saw them as trophies I thought it was going to be a Smash original character like Master Hand or Tabuu. I would like Tabuu to return to the series at some point whether as a boss again or a fun new playable character although that may be controversial for people wanting actual game characters in those slots

Nabbitfan730

Smash Ace
The second I saw them as trophies I thought it was going to be a Smash original character like Master Hand or Tabuu. I would like Tabuu to return to the series at some point whether as a boss again or a fun new playable character although that may be controversial for people wanting actual game characters in those slots
Tabuu is an actual game character

Top Bottom