• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Syracuse Smash 3- RaynEx, Unknown522, San!!!! July 24 2010

Gaia_x

Smash Champion
SYRACUSE SMASH 3!!! A Dedication to Bryan "Kanto" Puccia

Contents

For Easy Navigation Press Contrl+F And type in the area you are looking for.

1. Background Information
2. Tournament Organizers
3. Location
4. Schedule
5. Fees
6. Venue Rules
7. Event Rules
- 7.1 Melee Rules
- 7.2 Brawl Rules
8. Housing
9. Attendance List
10. Setups
11. Past Tournaments and other links.

1. Background Information

Bryan Puccia, known to most of us smashers as Bry or Kanto, has been the spark of our Syracuse smash community since August 2009, when he announced his first tournament here on the boards. Since then, he has succeeded in bringing Syracuse, Rochester, Albany, and Buffalo (+ others) into one unified community that has improved both in skill and bond by amounts too great to describe in words. His last tournament, Syracuse Smash 2, brought in top tier competition from locations as varied as Canada, Massachusetts, and New Jersey for both Brawl and Melee. Despite extreme difficulties including a power outage at the original venue, he persevered and managed to create a spectacular event at the last second that proved to send everyone home very happy and satisfied with their weekend's tournament experience.

To the great dismay of everyone who had the honor of knowing him, on Tuesday, May 25th, Bry suffered a heart attack while swimming at the beach, and is no longer with us. A great many of the members of the Upstate NY Smash community traveled to Syracuse to pay their respects, and even more members of this website posted their condolences, he will surely be missed. by many. At the wake, it touched all of us just how many people knew about us and just how important our community and smash as a whole was in Bry's life, it was extremely touching to hear.

Bryan had been in the process of organizing a third tournament prior to his departure. At the wake, we were greeted by a representative of the venue that he had chosen, and were told that he would cover the charge of the venue for the weekend that Bry had reserved it for. As such, we have decided to hold this tournament to honor Bryan's memory, and a portion of the pot will be donated to his family as a token of our appreciation for the man they brought to us. I think this quote sums up Bry's views on smash in a nutshell:

i think the harder i try the harder it gets for me to win. just play the game and have fun. thats what all of this is about, not the PR, not money, not fame ( yea right) . its about making friends and chillin with each other playing smash or any game for that matter.

wheres the love people?:chuckle::chuckle::chuckle:

So in his memory, let there be smash. =D

2. Tournament Organizers.

This tourney will be run by a collection of respected members of our community, including:

Cura:
Name- Matthew Sharpe
Phone#- 803-603-8324
Email- MattMattSharpeSharpe@Gmail.com
AIM- Oddstolive
Facebook

Sayan:
Name- Alexander S.
Phone#- 315-403-1415
AIM- sardinesmoothy10

Altairian:
Name- Jordan Searles
Phone#- 518-860-6005
Email- altairian8@gmail.com
AIM- altairian7

K.I.D Goggles:
Name- Kyle Flournoy
Phone#- 585-269-8444
AIM- KIDGoggles

Sharky:
Name- Matt Soukup
Phone#- 315-877-3027
AIM- ThisHereIsAShark

Feel free to get in touch with any of the above people if you need anything of have any questions about the tourney.

3. Location.

I am happy to announce that we will be holding this tournament at the Sparks Contemporary Art Space, in Syracuse
NY. It is a 2 room venue as shown on the floor plan. Here are some pictures.

Address:
Spark Contemporary Art Space
1005 East Fayette Street
Syracuse, NY

Feel free to check them out on the web!

4. Schedule.

Bryan always did melee first so we will continue this tradition.

11:00 AM - Registration for Melee Singles and doubles
12:30 PM - Registration Ends For Melee Singles and doubles/ Brackets will be made at this time.
1:00 PM - Melee Doubles Will Start.
2:00 PM - Melee Doubles finish up and Melee Singles Begin:
4:00 PM - Melee Singles Finish up And Lunch/Dinner Break Commences/ Brawl Registration starts/
4:45 PM - Brawl Registration comes to an end/ Brawl Bracket wil be made at this time.
(Please note we will be accepted brawl registration at the same time as melee so you really have from 11:00 AM to 5:00 PM to register for brawl)
5:00 PM - Brawl Doubles Begin.
6:30 PM - Brawl Doubles Finish/ Brawl Singles begin.
End - Brawl Singles Finish.

This is just a draft things are not expect to go exactly like this obviously.

We do have the venue till midnight or a little later. So if we finish in a reasonable time and people want a side event i will have no problem hosting 1.

I want everyone to have a good time and do friendlies, However we cannot let that get in the way of the tournament.

Tournament matches have priority over everything (That means it has priority over a money match so do not use this as an excuse to continue playing) if your seen taking up a tv that needs to be used for tournament you will be given a warning.

3 warnings- You lost your first match in your next tournament set
4 warnings- You get Dq'd from set and will be sent to losers or out of the tournament.

5. Fees and Money Related Stuff.

Venue Fee: $6
Singles Fee : $7
Doubles Fee: $7 Per person.

Payout for all singles events will be.
1st: 55%
2nd: 30%
3rd: 10%
4th: 5%

While doubles will use.
1st: 60%
2nd: 30%
3rd: 10%

6. Venue Rules.

Same as above

7. Event Rules.

7.1 Melee ruleset.

Neutrals 1v1

-Final Destination
-Yoshi's Story
-Dreamland
-Battlefield
-Fountain of Dreams

Counterpicks 1v1

-Kongo Jungle
-Brinstar
-Rainbow Cruise
-Pokemon Stadium

Neutrals 2v2

-Final Destination
-Yoshi's Story
-Dreamland
-Battlefield
-Pokemon Stadium

Counter picks 2v2

-Kongo Jungle
-Brinstar
-Rainbow Cruise

Banned
-Everything else.

* 4 Stock
* Stock Sharing Allowed
* Team Attack: ON
* 7 minute timer
* Items are "off" and set to "none

Set format (In Order of Procedure):

1. Opponents choose their characters for the first match *
2. Opponents start the stage striking procedure. Alternating strikes (1 each)
3. Each player may announce one stage to be banned for counterpicks of the set
4. The first game is played, using the stage chosen during step 2
5. The loser of the previous match announces the next match's stage from either the Starter Stage List or the Counter Stage List
6. The winner of the previous match chooses their character
7. The loser of the previous match chooses their character
8. Repeat steps 5-7 for all proceeding matches

7.2 Brawl Ruleset.

Neutrals.
- Battlefield
- Final Destination
- Smashville
- Yoshis Island
- Halberd
- Pokemon Stadium 1
- Lylat Cruise

Counter Picks
- Castle Seige
- Delfino Plaza
- Frigate Orpheon
- PictoChat
- Brinstar
- Rainbow Cruise

Banned
-Everything else.

Set format (In Order of Procedure):

1. Opponents choose their characters for the first match *
2. Opponents start the stage striking procedure
- You may agree to random neutral. However if both players do not agree the default will be stage striking. Stage Striking will be consist of this.
- Player 1 will strike 2 stages. Then player 2 will strike 3 stages. Then player 1 will strike the remaining. If you can not decide who strikes first either flip a coin or rock paper scissors.
3. Each player may announce one stage to be banned for counterpicks of the set
4. The first game is played, using the stage chosen during step 2
5. The loser of the previous match announces the next match's stage from either the Starter Stage List or the Counter Stage List
6. The winner of the previous match chooses their character
7. The loser of the previous match chooses their character
8. Repeat steps 5-7 for all proceeding matches

* 3 Stock
* Stock Sharing Allowed
* Team Attack: ON
* 8 minute timer
* Items are "off" and set to "none"

* 40 Ledge grab rule
* Double blind character selection may be called for the first match

* Scrooging: If you fly under the stage, you must land on the stage in order to repeat flying under the stage again. The moving platform, or any other platform that is distant from the stage (IE: Smashvilles Moving platform) does not count as landing on the stage. First offence is a warning, second offence is a loss of stock, 3rd offence is a loss of set.

* All Infinites are banned excluding Ice climbers Chain Grabs, and all small step chain grabs are banned. Wall infinites are NOT banned.

* Best 2 of 3. finals matches (losers/winners/grand) being best 3 of 5

* Metaknight's Infinite Cape glitch is banned.

* In the event of a dispute, controller ports will be selected by Rock-Paper-Scissors

* No player may choose a stage they have already won on in that set unless agreed upon by both players.

* If the timer runs out, (and the ledge limit isnt exceeded) the victor is determined by stock then percentage. If
percentage is the same then a 1 stock tie breaker match will be played using the same characters and same stage.

* Bowercides/ Ganonsides will be in favor of ganon/bowser if it ends with it

* Stalling is banned.

*Any infinite chain grabs must end quickly after 300% has been reached so as to prevent excessive stalling.

*Nope's No BS Rule: By participating in this tournament you give the Tournament Operator and their affiliates the right to film, photograph and record your name, nickname, pseudonym, persona, picture, biographical material, voice and/or likeness and to use the same in any manner or media in connection with the Event to broadcast, reproduce, distribute and exhibit such photographs and/or recordings, in any manner whatsoever, by any and all means, media, devices, processes and technology now or hereafter known or devised anywhere in the universe at anytime in perpetuity.

8. Housing.

Will be updated soon.

9. Attendance List.
  1. Cura
  2. Sayan
  3. Eevee
  4. Sharky
  5. Acton
  6. Beta
  7. Altairian
  8. San
  9. Vibe
  10. X13Mako
  11. RTF
  12. Pie Disliker
  13. Vicouz End
  14. Leet-0
  15. L-Don
  16. KID Goggles
  17. Juni
  18. XXX
  19. Hubble
  20. Spamus
  21. Nightro
  22. PikaPika!
  23. PJ
  24. O.M.R
  25. Foy
  26. A.M
  27. Espeon
  28. SSBBFan1300
  29. TommyGreenShirt
  30. Frostbite
  31. Killer Banjo
  32. Sith
  33. CMP
  34. James G
  35. Paco
  36. AK
  37. RayneX
  38. Unknown522
  39. Sleaf
  40. Sanuzi
  41. Asylum
  42. Ben10
  43. Wumph
  44. Spud
  45. Flaw
  46. Spin
  47. Bright
  48. Hughes

10. Setups.

Cura- 2 Tvs : 1 Wii : 1 Melee : 1 Brawl
San- 1 TV: 1 Wii : 1 Brawl
Alt- 1 TV: 1 Wii : 1 Brawl : 1 Melee
Goggles- 1-2 Tvs: 1 Wii: 1 Game cube: 1 Brawl : 1 Melee
Sharky- 1 Tv: 1 Wii : 1 Gamecube : 1 Brawl : 1 Melee
RTF- 1 Tv: 1 Gamecube : 1 Melee
Vicouz- 1 Tv: 1 Gamecube: 1 Melee
SSBBFan- 1 TV, 1 Wii, 1 Brawl, 1 Melee, 1 Projector

11. Past tournament Results and Other Links.

- Syracuse Smash 1

- Syracuse Smash 2

- Facebook event

- All is brawl Page

Last edited by a moderator:

NightroGlycerine

Smash Journeyman
If my schedule for the summer holds, I'm going.

I'm very excited about this, see below.

Hype! Barring some sort of bizarre happenstance - say, nuclear explosion, velociraptor attack, sudden onset paralysis, or something of the like - I'll be there 100%.

Sheth

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Shethblade
3DS FC
4639-8959-1952
Massive hype of the results not meaning anything because my training hasn't come to kick reason to the curb and drill through.

-Just kidding you all probably went SS3 from practice at MLG

EDIT:
Lol, SS3. At SS3.

Spamus43

Smash Journeyman
Hype! Barring some sort of bizarre happenstance - say, nuclear explosion, velociraptor attack, sudden onset paralysis, or something of the like - I'll be there 100%.

Gaia_x

Smash Champion
I need people to let me know whose comfirmed for this event asap. So i can build up the attendance list. You can do it threw pm or through swf. Whichever works.

san.

1/Sympathy = Divide By Zero
NNID
Sansoldier
3DS FC
4957-2846-2924
w00t I am probably confirmed.

I might bring a TV+Wii or a Wii, we'll see =)

Gaia_x

Smash Champion
Thanks san ill add you to the list and put down your set ups that are comfirmed!

altairian

Smash Lord
Oh yeah, BRING TV'S PEOPLE! I know it's a pain but without tv's then everything takes forever and there's no friendlies.

I think I'm gonna bring a second tv as a friendly setup (the infamous pink line lcd lol) so you ****ers better step up and bring everything you can :p

Allied, you better be here. :D

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
1. Confirmed.
2. Confirmed w/ 1-2 tvs 1 wii+brawl and 1 cube+melee.
3. Telling everyone I know in about a 200 miles radius.

Sharky

Smash Master
Cura how big is the venue? Also this is going to be in memoriam of bry, yes? I'm going to write up a post as well (Since I go in to work at 5am and don't feel like sleeping until I get back from it), we can compare notes. =D

Its kinda like soup kup :]

congrats, you're the one millionth person to make this connection XD

TheManaLord

Smash Hero
jeff hasn't seen this yet, but I'll basically confirm us both. I'll see how far I can get with zelda in bracket, pretty far I bet. anyone want to team w me? goggles? ^.^

unless me and jeff real practice for this (since we have plenty of time), zelda ftw

Gaia_x

Smash Champion
Just to let people know we need gamecubes. Or c copy of melee. However ill say this if people wanna play melee while brawl is going on, bring cubes. All wiis will be brawl at the time of the tournament.

Edit: The Thread has been updated a good amount. Thanks goes to sharky for making most of the stuff that you currently see up there with minor edits and tweaks by frannie and myself.

PieDisliker

Smash Lord
NNID
PieDisliker
You'll have to tie me down with a chain, tape my mouth, lock me in a safe with a code, and put me behind an electric chain fence to keep me from going to this. There's no way my parents can say no. No excuses. I'd almost rather move out of the house than not make this tourney.

<3 Cura and rest of smash community.

And rest in peace, Kanto.

P.S.: I'll be entering as bcb, and always will be. :p

OMG H4X

Smash Journeyman
NNID
rustytotallypwns
soooo far away, but HYPE HYPE HYPE HYPE!

<3333333333333333 CURA <33333333333333333333333

1337-Zero

Smash Ace
Definitely coming, extremely excited.

Alt, you being TO better not get in the way of our teaming. Also DON'T USE MK!!! Yo 'Chu is better anywayz.

Acton

Smash Journeyman
I'm looking for a steady team mate for this and any future events. I'll play D3 or falco you choose. I only prefer that this person has regular access to wifi so we can practice online.

PieDisliker

Smash Lord
NNID
PieDisliker
Oh, yeah. Andyisjudo changed his tag to L-Don recently, so he'll probably be going as that. If I come, he'll most likely come, and we'll probably be teaming....

We gotta get training for this.

PieDisliker

Smash Lord
NNID
PieDisliker
I'm bringing my sd card if I go, which will have smashstack, so no wiis needed to hack.

And L-Don might bring a brawl disk so melee players that bring a wii can have it used for brawl.
---
Edit: You guys can request what you want on the sd card.

Will have: Tags in replays, infinate replays.
Debatable and important: Random tripping removed, red, blue, and green textures for Sonic, Lucario, and Pokemon Trainer.
Debatable and lulzy: Non-limited camera, textures on banned stages, custom music on banned stages, custom victory themes, custom menu theme, other non-stage custom music, other?

Sheth

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Shethblade
3DS FC
4639-8959-1952
Those are basically all OK in our community from my experience. We're not used to using the lucario ones, but it'd be great if you did grab em, because they do help a lot. Since I'm one of the people who gets really bugged out by colors in team matches in particular, it's always nice to have.

-Course, I'm not coming, just chipping my 2 cents.

altairian

Smash Lord
Sheth, you better ****ing come. Who's going to be absurdly loud if you aren't there?!

Also, bcb all those sound great except the tripping. Tripping has to stay on simply because it's far too difficult to have tripping off on every tournament setup. And it's unfair to only have tripping on certain setups.

edit: dang almost forgot to respond to this!

Definitely coming, extremely excited.

Alt, you being TO better not get in the way of our teaming. Also DON'T USE MK!!! Yo 'Chu is better anywayz.
I'd never let TO'ing get in the way of teaming with you man :D Although I'm afraid I'm gonna be holding you back again, I really haven't been practicing smash at all. MK was just to take a break from pika, I'm definitely over that now ;)

PieDisliker

Smash Lord
NNID
PieDisliker
Well, I won't add the hax till a few days before the tourney. I wanna make sure it appeals to the mass.

Top Bottom