• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sylvanos, Heart of the Forest Announced for Rivals of Aether

Sylvanos Reveal.jpg

The first of Rivals of Aether's next two DLC characters, Sylvanos, has been announced at Genesis 5. He's the game's third earth elemental character, and the third of four original DLC characters.

His trailer comes with information about the lore surrounding the world of Aether - how the world was once covered in plant life before the Fire Kingdom burned much of it to the ground and the sea merchants harvested the wood to build their ships. The ensuing destruction awoke the heart of the forest - a powerful entity with control over plant life who helped the forest dwellers fight back, but soon became too much for them to hold back, so they made a pact with those who dwell underground, who built a wall around the forest to both protect it from outside forces, and to contain its growth.

As part of the reveal panel at Genesis 5, lead developer Dan Fornace and lead programmer Trevor Youngblood discussed some of the details of how Sylvanos will play and what unique mechanics he'll have.

In terms of his playstyle, he's a zoner with a heavy focus on ground game, with a long range and strong disjoints on his normal attacks, but with poor speed in the air. While he has strong zoning tools, some of his attacks will whiff against opponents who get too close, and he struggles getting out of combos.

His main unique mechanic is a passive ability called Untamed Growth. Any ground he walks on will be covered in grass, which will linger for one second before disappearing, and he suffers less landing lag from landing on ground with grass on it.

His neutral special, Seed Shot, launches a seed either vertically or in a parabolic arc in front of or behind him. If it hits the opponent, it'll bloom into a spinning plant that deals multiple hits, but if it hits the ground, it'll bloom into a plant that creates a permanent patch of grass. It can also be used in place of the third hit of his jab combo to launch at a more horizontal angle.

Sylvanos' side special, Beast Dash, has him temporarily transform into a carnivorous plant, at which point he will lunge forward with a biting attack. If he does this on grass-covered ground, he will continuously rush along the ground, consuming any untamed growth in his path. This version of his side special can also be jump-canceled.

His down special, Plants Rise, has spear-like plants rise from any untamed growth on the ground, launching opponents towards Sylvanos. Any untamed growth used for this will temporarily becomes inactive, but will also stick around for an extra second after the cooldown ends.

For his up special, Burrow, Sylvanos leaps into the air before diving, burrowing into the ground should he come in contact with it. After burrowing, he can move left and right to determine where he'll surface, and either surface with an attack after a set period of time, or instantly surface without attacking with a press of the parry button.

His up special isn't his only recovery tool, as he can also pin himself to walls and platforms with his back-air, which can be angled up or down.

Sylvanos will be released sometime in the coming months alongside the game's fourth original character, whose silhouette can be seen at the very end of the reveal trailer.

Scribe

Comments

This fighter looks very interesting. Any speculation on who this last fighter is (shown as the white silhouette at the end of the video)?

Also, is the green raccoon child seen during the story part of the trailer a younger Maypul?

is it just me... or does that narrator sound VERY familiar...?

granted, the narration caused me to lower the volume because it was jarring to hear a voiceover in a game that up until this point didn't have any voices, and I didn't feel too keen on making the sudden transition.

I didn't mute it, though, so I did hear the voice... now where have I heard her before...?

first thought was the tree elder from Disney's Pocohontas... or Granny from Miyazaki's My Neighbor Totoro.

Last edited:
This fighter looks very interesting. Any speculation on who this last fighter is (shown as the white silhouette at the end of the video)?

Also, is the green raccoon child seen during the story part of the trailer a younger Maypul?
Yes, alongside her sister Mayreed.

The white silhouette has been referred to as "the mech character" in interviews, panels and Reddit AMAs in the past, and was actually the first DLC character ever teased, going as far back as an AMA Dan Fornace did on the Xbox subreddit in 2016. All that's known otherwise is that it'll be a zoner with a strong focus on air game (based on the archetype description chart that Dan posts from time to time), and that it'll have some sort of heat gauge a la Rumble in League of Legends or Robo-Ky in Guilty Gear. Notably, when he first discussed the heat gauge mechanic, he mentioned that he wasn't even sure which element it would be associated with, and before Clairen was teased, people assumed it would be fire.

For information that's more likely to turn out to be dated, in the same r/xbox AMA where he first discussed the heat gauge mechanic, he said he also wanted to have a character who plays like a more air-focused version of Samus. Later on in 2016 when I asked him on ask.fm if the third air character would have a Peach-esque hover mechanic to complete the trifecta of special jump mechanics, he said he was considering a character with a ROB-style afterburner instead of a second jump.

Top Bottom