• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Swords as Ness?

Mr Saturn Fanboy

Smash Apprentice
Whenever I play an online match, win or lose I feel it's a fair fight. This is not true with the 748 characters with swords. (Marth, Cloud, The Links, etc. Somehow not Shulk but ok) Like, I cant get in any attacks, and all of a sudden... Game!

Most of the time, I'll lose to them; and it never feels like I even had a chance. Maybe my reactions aren't good enough or maybe I can't get the proper spacing. I dunno. I can almost never land anything on the sword characters, be it a PK Fire, an aerial, or heck, even a jab. There just seems to be either too much endlag, or not enough. So I end up getting juggled over and over, watching my percent go from 0 - 75 in like 5 attacks. The Links (especially Young) really get me because while their attacks are relatively slow, I can never get around the projectile spam. I really don't want to pick up a new character just because my GSP keeps getting cut down by the 3rd Cloud in a row.

I have noticed I go for PK Fire, n-air, and dash attacks relatively frequently. Is it that Im too predictable?

Anyone got any tips for me? Thanks!

Sorry if this is posted in the wrong place it's my first post.

Specs64z

Smash Journeyman
This is the right place! We have several threads related to matchups, including some for Marth, Chrom, Ike, and Link, so you can check out those for good advice.

As for some general advice from me:
Ness’s frame data is pretty quick, so it’s more likely you’re being outspaced. You’re best bet is to play just outside their range and try to bait out a move, then punish it, as well as to practice parrying sword users. Most sword users have very linear recovery methods, so use PK thunder and PK fire to abuse them off stage.

kraw23

Smash Apprentice
Learning to use the tail of PK thunder to gimp is really helpful against the fire emblem crew. Its really helpful against everyone, actually!

MG_3989

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-8397-3391-6411
Learning to use the tail of PK thunder to gimp is really helpful against the fire emblem crew. Its really helpful against everyone, actually!
The PK Thunder tail gimp has won me so many games. Even if it’s not on last stock you can tell how tilted it gets people when you kill them at like 40% from that perfect tail gimp and then you’re in complete control

Mr Saturn Fanboy

Smash Apprentice
UPDATE: I've been winning about 2/3 of my matchups with swordfighters. Turns out I wasn't spacing myself well. Thanks for the advice!

Last edited:

kraw23

Smash Apprentice
UPDATE: I've been winning about 2/3 of my matchups with swordfighters. Turns out I wasn't spacing myself well. Thanks for the advice!
Good stuff. I still find Lucina in particular to be a heinous matchup. Luckily there aren't many Lucina mains in my locals...

MG_3989

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-8397-3391-6411
That’s awesome! Yeah Ness really can deal with swords it’s all about spacing. Ike though I don’t think I’ll ever say he’s a good matchup

Mr Saturn Fanboy

Smash Apprentice
You'd think someone who had harnessed the power of the Earth could deal with someone weilding a sharp stick. Guess not.

Last edited:

-Saltyclams-

Smash Rookie
Good stuff. I still find Lucina in particular to be a heinous matchup. Luckily there aren't many Lucina mains in my locals...
even if nobody plays lucina in your locals it is still good to learn the matchup

kraw23

Smash Apprentice
even if nobody plays lucina in your locals it is still good to learn the matchup
Yes, you could say it's a double edged sword - on one hand I get to win more easily, on the other I don't get the experience for when I do face up against Lucina.

Top Bottom