• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Switching from Marth to Lucina...?

Darklink401

Smash Master
NNID
Yuki_Hirako
3DS FC
0731-5318-2530
Would people call me crazy?

I've used Marth since Brawl, and have thousands of matches with him in this iteration...but I've recently noticed that Lucina makes me feel taht I can be more agressive and proactive in my gameplay, which is often how I like to play.

It doesn't seem like a straight downgrade, either, as her jab combos are more solid due to more hitstun (unless Marth tippers, but Lucina doesn't need the tipper xD), her upsmash, and higher damage output overall in low % combos.

It may seem weird since most people even often put them in different tiers, but I think she's a really fun character. I plan to at least try her out for another week or two before deciding on making the transition or not.

She's crazy strong tho.

What about you all? Ever thought about going from Lucina to Marth? Or maybe used to play Marth, but went over to Lucina in this iteration?

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
You can't be more aggressive with Lucina over Marth. Their data is the same.

Everything else is preference. If you click with her more then make the switch.

EnGarde

Smash Ace
3DS FC
4914-3671-9440
Hey Colgate! Your title is kinda...clickbait. :p

If you're going to practice more with Lucina, you should experiment more with the slide mechanics she has over Marth. Marth's tilts stop his momentum, which isn't true with Lucina. Makes her walk, perfect pivot, and the back jump turnaround slide mechanic thing good options for her. Increases the range coverage of her utilt in particular, as well as dtilt iirc. Changes the way she can cover space. Worth exploring. :)

Darklink401

Smash Master
NNID
Yuki_Hirako
3DS FC
0731-5318-2530
You can't be more aggressive with Lucina over Marth. Their data is the same.

Everything else is preference. If you click with her more then make the switch.
Their data is the same, but because Lucina's sword is safer on shield than Marth's nontippers, it feels I can be more agressive say, when pressuring shields, without the worry that I might not tipper. It's partialy a preference thing in a way xD
Hey Colgate! Your title is kinda...clickbait. :p

If you're going to practice more with Lucina, you should experiment more with the slide mechanics she has over Marth. Marth's tilts stop his momentum, which isn't true with Lucina. Makes her walk, perfect pivot, and the back jump turnaround slide mechanic thing good options for her. Increases the range coverage of her utilt in particular, as well as dtilt iirc. Changes the way she can cover space. Worth exploring. :)
How is it clickbait o.o lol

But yeah, I've been exploring with all her slidy stuff, she seems to flow well. Backjump turnaround slide is great for jab as well, but pretty sure Marth gets that too xD

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
Yeah, no.

Marth has hitlag modifiers. He is safer on both tippers and nontippers.

Again if you like her, then play her. But the numbers don't line up at all with your actual intent.

Darklink401

Smash Master
NNID
Yuki_Hirako
3DS FC
0731-5318-2530
Yeah, no.

Again if you like her, then play her. But the numbers don't line up at all with your actual intent.
Huh, I remember reading something in regards to the nontippers hitlag and shield safety, but I guess I had it backwards, lol.

Thanks tho! :3

EnGarde

Smash Ace
3DS FC
4914-3671-9440
Yeah, no.

I thought the hitlag modifiers on sour spots were removed with the shield patch. I will need to go back through that old shield thread in the competitive forum to double check though.

EDIT: Yep, checked the thread here. "Attacks with hit lag modifiers below 1.0 no longer receive safety bonuses, those above 1.0 (or 1.25 from 1.1.0 patch) are conversely safer than before."

Last edited:

DarkAuraful

Torpid Dragon
Lucina's strength is equal throughout her Falchion, so that technically makes her aggressive in a way that you don't have to rely on spacing. It also gives her a better time against fast, rush-down characters, so there's that.

I haven't played Marth at all in the previous games, but I'm experimenting with him at the moment and I'm really starting to like and adapt to his tipper spacing.

But yeah, Lucina's not that far off from Marth. That's all I have to say to be honest. She's certainly someone I would recommend playing. I'd say try her out, and enjoy your time with her!

Darklink401

Smash Master
NNID
Yuki_Hirako
3DS FC
0731-5318-2530
I thought the hitlag modifiers on sour spots were removed with the shield patch. I will need to go back through that old shield thread in the competitive forum to double check though.

EDIT: Yep, checked the thread here. "Attacks with hit lag modifiers below 1.0 no longer receive safety bonuses, those above 1.0 (or 1.25 from 1.1.0 patch) are conversely safer than before."
Right, that's what I remember reading! Thanks, En :)
Lucina's strength is equal throughout her Falchion, so that technically makes her aggressive in a way that you don't have to rely on spacing. It also gives her a better time against fast, rush-down characters, so there's that.

I haven't played Marth at all in the previous games, but I'm experimenting with him at the moment and I'm really starting to like and adapt to his tipper spacing.

But yeah, Lucina's not that far off from Marth. That's all I have to say to be honest. She's certainly someone I would recommend playing. I'd say try her out, and enjoy your time with her!
I definitely do wanna try her out more n.n

EnGarde

Smash Ace
3DS FC
4914-3671-9440
Right, that's what I remember reading! Thanks, En :)

I definitely do wanna try her out more n.n
np, and I look forward to seeing what zany things you find for her. :p Also, it's been forever since last we played, though I'm about to sign off for the evening tonight lol. Send me a note, I really want to play again. :)

Ultinarok

Smash Lord
Lucina has some nice advantages in that she is always consistent, and therefore can be played with an aggressive mindset. She also fairs better against faster characters, as others have said, because she gets more reward off of hitting opponents away for breathing room than he does. Your average damage output with Lucina is often going to be higher, and your strings will accumulate more damage, but Marth is much better at netting early kills with the same frame data, which is important.

Despite this, if it wasn't for shield stun shenanigans, I feel Lucina would actually be the better character as of 1.1.4. than Marth. Not objectively of course, since a frame perfect Marth who always landed the tipper/non-tipper when he needed it would be best, but because she can be more consistent and gain more mileage off of footsies. Let's not forget that she's now a true force in the air, with the damage upgrades to all of her moves giving her legitimate aerial killing options. None are as early as Marth, but she no longer needs to put enemies at 180% to get an aerial kill, which was one of many issues that caused people to call her the worst character at launch.

I actually like waifu Marth better than the real thing now, despite feeling the opposite at launch, as Lucina reminds me more heavily of a good rushdown character now than she did at launch, when she didn't really have a niche. And her Dancing Blade has always been more consistent than Marth's and a better finisher, her Shield Breaker is better in general (barely weaker than Marth's tippered one without having a very difficult tipper) her smash attacks are better as a whole, (although Marth's can kill earlier of course) and now she can actually keep up in the air to an extent.

So bottom line, its normal for you to decide maybe she's right for you. Hell, maybe she wasn't before and the patch blessings have won you over, like me. All I ever wanted was a Lucina who could kill in the air and lagged a bit less, and that's what I got. I do still like Marth though. Play whichever one you like best, but I agree, Lucina is a more consistent character for offensive play than Marth. Just watch those shields.

Darklink401

Smash Master
NNID
Yuki_Hirako
3DS FC
0731-5318-2530
Lucina has some nice advantages in that she is always consistent, and therefore can be played with an aggressive mindset. She also fairs better against faster characters, as others have said, because she gets more reward off of hitting opponents away for breathing room than he does. Your average damage output with Lucina is often going to be higher, and your strings will accumulate more damage, but Marth is much better at netting early kills with the same frame data, which is important.

Despite this, if it wasn't for shield stun shenanigans, I feel Lucina would actually be the better character as of 1.1.4. than Marth. Not objectively of course, since a frame perfect Marth who always landed the tipper/non-tipper when he needed it would be best, but because she can be more consistent and gain more mileage off of footsies. Let's not forget that she's now a true force in the air, with the damage upgrades to all of her moves giving her legitimate aerial killing options. None are as early as Marth, but she no longer needs to put enemies at 180% to get an aerial kill, which was one of many issues that caused people to call her the worst character at launch.

I actually like waifu Marth better than the real thing now, despite feeling the opposite at launch, as Lucina reminds me more heavily of a good rushdown character now than she did at launch, when she didn't really have a niche. And her Dancing Blade has always been more consistent than Marth's and a better finisher, her Shield Breaker is better in general (barely weaker than Marth's tippered one without having a very difficult tipper) her smash attacks are better as a whole, (although Marth's can kill earlier of course) and now she can actually keep up in the air to an extent.

So bottom line, its normal for you to decide maybe she's right for you. Hell, maybe she wasn't before and the patch blessings have won you over, like me. All I ever wanted was a Lucina who could kill in the air and lagged a bit less, and that's what I got. I do still like Marth though. Play whichever one you like best, but I agree, Lucina is a more consistent character for offensive play than Marth. Just watch those shields.
I just killed a Lucas at 65 on BF with fully charged fsmash, and a rosa at 38 on BF as well, with fully charged shieldbreaker

"who needs a tipper" XD

But yeah, those are all valid points. And I'm having a LOT of fun with her. She also flows better rhythmically, IMO, since her moves don't have such big hitlag as can be found on tippers (which are satisfying, but sort of, stop the game for a moment)

Top Bottom