• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Switch Won't Connect to Ethernet

Predatoria

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-5219-6817-7975
Has anyone had this problem before, and if so, do they know how to fix it?

The problem is, my Switch is connected to a wired, ethernet connection using the adapter, plugged into a USB port on the back, inside the case.

Until now, it's had no issue using this connection. Now, however, attempts to connect with ethernet fail, and it keeps using my Wifi connection instead (which is noticeably laggier and unacceptable online).

The Ethernet connection is fine. It works just fine plugged into my computer, so I know it isn't the connection.

I do notice the little lights on the back of the adapter are off when it isn't working.

It also seems to be somewhat intermittent, as I had this issue a few days ago too, but it resolved itself somehow.

Has anyone had issues with shoddy adapters going bad and/or switches refusing to connect for some reason or another?

Not too sure how to approach the issue.

Edit: Here's a speed test using the ethernet cable in question, so I'm absolutely certain nothing is actually wrong with this connection:
1570996296798.png

Last edited:

JiggyNinja

Smash Journeyman
Have you tested the adapter itself? The adapter itself might be failing instead of the cable. I haven't noticed any issues with mine. Which type of adapter do you have, specifically? Only certain chipsets work on the switch.

Predatoria

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-5219-6817-7975
Have you tested the adapter itself? The adapter itself might be failing instead of the cable. I haven't noticed any issues with mine. Which type of adapter do you have, specifically? Only certain chipsets work on the switch.

This is the one I purchased for use back in December:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00MYT481C/ref=ppx_od_dt_b_asin_title_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I do know some are a lot more expensive than others. I'm wondering if it could be the adapter itself that's failing. I do regularly put my entire switch and docking station, with the cable attached, in my backpack, so maybe it's cheap and has started to intermittently fail?

Dunno, I'm still surprised that such a simple little part could possibly start breaking like this.

I had not thought of testing the adapter itself. I wonder if I could plug it into a USB socket on my computer to test whether or not it can provide my computer with an internet connection under this usage scenario.

Last edited:

JiggyNinja

Smash Journeyman
I had not thought of testing the adapter itself. I wonder if I could plug it into a USB socket on my computer to test whether or not it can provide my computer with an internet connection under this usage scenario.
That's exactly what you should do. If it's a laptop make sure you switch off Wifi to be sure.

Last edited:

Predatoria

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-5219-6817-7975
That's exactly what you should do. If it's a laptop make sure you switch off Wifi to be sure.
Ohhhhhh dear....

I just tried it.

The wire's bad.

When I move the wire and socket around on my desk, sometimes the lights light up and my computer makes the beeping sound for USB Device Detected. Then it goes back off again.

Don't buy what I did, for anyone else reading this. Looks like it's got an intermittent connection. Probably bad wiring or bad soldering on the circuit board. I guess this is why some of these things cost 12 dollars, and others cost like 40. Nintendo's probably is more robust and won't randomly just break after 6 months of usage.

JiggyNinja

Smash Journeyman
Unplug it before you throw it into your bag. Any cable without a god-tier strain relief (which basically no consumer product has) will get ****ed up by what you're doing.

Predatoria

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-5219-6817-7975
Unplug it before you throw it into your bag. Any cable without a god-tier strain relief (which basically no consumer product has) will get ****ed up by what you're doing.
I appreciate the advice. I'll have to order a new one, but I'll do this with it to avoid the same problem happening to it. I should probably start unplugging my Switch power cord as well.

JiggyNinja

Smash Journeyman
It certainly won't hurt, though with a stock dock the power cord is at less risk. The weakest point of any cable is where it attaches to the connector or device, and the stock dock has the connector protected inside the plastic housing so it isn't going to be bent there. Anything unprotected (like something plugged into the exterior USB ports) is going to be at huge risk of bending at the connector.

There should be strain relief at this points in any competently designed product. However, literally all of the so-called "strain reliefs" I've seen on consumer products (if they even bothered to make it look like they have strain reliefs!) are far too stiff and are literally useless. Literally the only things I have ever seen with anything close to good strain relief has been oscilloscope probes. Look how big and flexible those strain reliefs are! Seriously, everything sucks. If you want to protect your cables from abuse, your better off putting your own strain reliefs on the cables. Heat shrink tubing, hot melt glue, or Sugru are good materials to use.

Top Bottom