• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Switch to the Old School! Urban Champion for Smash

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
I loved UC on my 3ds. I also loved how he played in Famicom fighters. So please, make this happen sakurai. I have priority with my old school characters +Don chan (I think don chan is "old school" enough tho). If Little mac would get an echo I could very well see UC being the one.

By the way

Does this guy have an official name?
no that we are aware of

Oddball

Smash Lord
Out of curiosity, would be be upset if he made it in as a Ryu or Little Mac Echo?

smashkirby

Smash Hero
Sorry for the double post, but I really want to ask this: What would you all say to Urban Champ being more of a fierce fighter than Mac? As in, he even looks like he doesn't have formal training.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Sorry for the double post, but I really want to ask this: What would you all say to Urban Champ being more of a fierce fighter than Mac? As in, he even looks like he doesn't have formal training.
it would make sense

Oddball

Smash Lord
At least the Champ made it in as a Spirit. So they haven't totally forgot the guy.

Mr. Stevenson

Smash Ace
Hey I wasn't aware that there was a support thread for Urban Champion.
I fully support this wacky guy, he's one of my most wanted retro characters for Smash Brothers.

It really feels like he was made to be a Smash fighter, I mean hell, just look at the objective of his game: fight someone until he's offscreen (doesn't that sound familiar ;)).

Anyways, like I mentioned on the "character(s) you want that nobody else does" thread, I thought I was pretty much the only one who wanted him. Glad I found this support thread! :)

Oddball

Smash Lord
I decided to mess with the 'Champs official art a bit.

Changed his goofy expressions, slightly altered his proportions, and recolored him into sprite accurate colors.

Urban  champ.png

Mr. Stevenson

Smash Ace
Does anyone here find a little bit odd and shameful that of all the retro characters that were considered for Melee, Urban Champion happens to be the only one without a trophy?
I mean at least he’s a spirit in Ultimate but I would love to see a 3D model of him (specially resembling Melee/Gamecube era).

Oh and by the way, I love this design right here:

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Does anyone here find a little bit odd and shameful that of all the retro characters that were considered for Melee, Urban Champion happens to be the only one without a trophy?
I mean at least he’s a spirit in Ultimate but I would love to see a 3D model of him (specially resembling Melee/Gamecube era).

Oh and by the way, I love this design right here:
maybe sakurai doesnt like him

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Eh, if that was true, I believe he wouldn’t have considered him or acknowledge him in Ultimate.
probably not, still i always thought the reason he gave for not picking him was little on the spot, it could apply to the ice climbers as well

not thats its proof of him disliking the champion just perhaps of a double standard

Mr. Stevenson

Smash Ace
probably not, still i always thought the reason he gave for not picking him was little on the spot, it could apply to the ice climbers as well

not thats its proof of him disliking the champion just perhaps of a double standard
Ok, that does seem kind of plausible, I guess.
Urban Champion might be the least appreciated NES black box game, since it was probably the one that aged the worse, but nevertheless it was pretty appropriate for the time it was made, so I really don’t see why so many people dislike it.
I say that he totally deserved a Melee trophy, at least.

Also, I really like the fact that Urban Champion got a 3DS release. It’s great to see Nintendo carrying for its IPS, even the ones that weren’t so successful.
BE1C831F-2510-4925-BF17-BBB8569648A9.png

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Ok, that does seem kind of plausible, I guess.
Urban Champion might be the least appreciated NES black box game, since it was probably the one that aged the worse, but nevertheless it was pretty appropriate for the time it was made, so I really don’t see why so many people dislike it.
I say that he totally deserved a Melee trophy, at least.

Also, I really like the fact that Urban Champion got a 3DS release. It’s great to see Nintendo carrying for its IPS, even the ones that weren’t so successful.
View attachment 255715
i really enjoyed the 3ds version, hence why hes my most wanted nes character, i dont get why people dislike it either

Mr. Stevenson

Smash Ace
i really enjoyed the 3ds version, hence why hes my most wanted nes character, i dont get why people dislike it either
Good to know!
I’m guessing people think simplicity is a bad thing, and yet I don’t see anyone complaining about Mario Bros, which the only thing you do is knock out creatures and prevent them from getting through the pipes.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Good to know!
I’m guessing people think simplicity is a bad thing, and yet I don’t see anyone complaining about Mario Bros, which the only thing you do is knock out creatures and prevent them from getting through the pipes.
that is a little odd when you think about it

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Exactly! All of them are early Arcade/NES games with simple concepts, and only one of them gets criticized for aging badly, cuz **** logic, I guess.
i imagine most people dislike things for reasons that apply to things they do like, people can be weird

Oddball

Smash Lord
Honestly, I don't find the game that fun. I think that's just far too little to it and not much in play value.

The character and stage though, I feel would be fine for Smash. If for no other reason than just pure historic value.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Honestly, I don't find the game that fun. I think that's just far too little to it and not much in play value.

The character and stage though, I feel would be fine for Smash. If for no other reason than just pure historic value.
well the more supporters the better, i guess

smashkirby

Smash Hero
Say, did I ever post my idea for the Urban Champ to sort of be a Little Mac echo that fights like he has no formal training... and wields weapons fashioned from manhole covers and flowerpots?

Mr. Stevenson

Smash Ace
Say, did I ever post my idea for the Urban Champ to sort of be a Little Mac echo that fights like he has no formal training... and wields weapons fashioned from manhole covers and flowerpots?
I don’t think so, but hey I’m all ears.

And uhm, you’re saying he would carry portable wholes with him, you mean like the ones you see on the Looney Tunes? Is that it?
20DBB036-4D89-44C4-B63E-266E32FEB6DE.gif

Last edited:

smashkirby

Smash Hero
I don’t think so, but hey I’m all ears.

And uhm, you’re saying he would carry portable wholes with him, you mean like the ones you see on the Looney Tunes? Is that it?
View attachment 264140
Noooot exactly...

In terms of being different from Little Mac, the Urban Champ would have Mac's strength, but even stronger, with a few drawbacks, such as:

1. NO super armor on ANY attacks, but as a result, due to fighting on the streets, his attacks are more aggressive than Little Mac, because he doesn't know how to hold back. The other problem is due to him having trouble controlling himself sometimes he may do 1-2% damage to himself. It'd be pretty uncommon for him to do this, though.

2. He would use weapons, such as crowbars, manholes, flower pots, and....well, whatever else you'd find/use in a street fight. I'd say switchblade, but I think that's taking it a little TOO far.

3. His special moves would all be different from Mac, with the exception of Mac's Rising Star up special and Slip Counter down special. As I've said before, the Urban Champ would be more aggressive than Mac, and due to this, his up special, would rise to a more crazy height, due to his hot-blooded nature and his Slip Counter would involve him grabbing his opponent after they've struck him during the Counter animation, resulting in him grabbing them and punching them back hard, and I mean HARD.

4. His standard special would not be the Straight Lunge, but the "Burst Barrage". With this, the Urban Champ would charge up, and where Mac's fist glowed red, the Urban Champ's entire body would turn red, with him getting more and more of a furious expression on his face. When the attack is fully charged, he will GO OFF, starting with a powerful punch, and kick to the ribs, ANOTHER kick to the ribs, a punch to the gut, a headbutt, and ending it with what could essentially be considered Mac's side smash attack. His side special would involve him tossing a random item from Urban Champ, like a flower pot, or even a manhole, among other things.

5. I imagine his redesign to be along the lines of having THREE outfits. One being his jean jacket with torn sleeves, while wearing a red-and-white striped shirt underneath, with jeans pants on. His other outfit would consist of wearing a baby blue t-shirt with a red long sleeve shirt at the bottom while wearing blue sweatpants. The last one would be...well...a simple white t-shirt, as a homage to Cody Travers of Final Fight/Street Fighter fame, and Axel Stone of Streets of Rage. Also, I guess if they want to be realistic, his default outfit would involve him having golden-blonde hair, as seen above. His alts. would involve blue hair, purple hair, and green hair. I'll think of the others later.

6. His FS would either be him and an army of Urban Fighters beating down on opponents, or the Urban Champ would basically use a grounded version of the Mii Brawler's FS.

Mr. Stevenson

Smash Ace
Noooot exactly...

In terms of being different from Little Mac, the Urban Champ would have Mac's strength, but even stronger, with a few drawbacks, such as:

1. NO super armor on ANY attacks, but as a result, due to fighting on the streets, his attacks are more aggressive than Little Mac, because he doesn't know how to hold back. The other problem is due to him having trouble controlling himself sometimes he may do 1-2% damage to himself. It'd be pretty uncommon for him to do this, though.

2. He would use weapons, such as crowbars, manholes, flower pots, and....well, whatever else you'd find/use in a street fight. I'd say switchblade, but I think that's taking it a little TOO far.

3. His special moves would all be different from Mac, with the exception of Mac's Rising Star up special and Slip Counter down special. As I've said before, the Urban Champ would be more aggressive than Mac, and due to this, his up special, would rise to a more crazy height, due to his hot-blooded nature and his Slip Counter would involve him grabbing his opponent after they've struck him during the Counter animation, resulting in him grabbing them and punching them back hard, and I mean HARD.

4. His standard special would not be the Straight Lunge, but the "Burst Barrage". With this, the Urban Champ would charge up, and where Mac's fist glowed red, the Urban Champ's entire body would turn red, with him getting more and more of a furious expression on his face. When the attack is fully charged, he will GO OFF, starting with a powerful punch, and kick to the ribs, ANOTHER kick to the ribs, a punch to the gut, a headbutt, and ending it with what could essentially be considered Mac's side smash attack. His side special would involve him tossing a random item from Urban Champ, like a flower pot, or even a manhole, among other things.

5. I imagine his redesign to be along the lines of having THREE outfits. One being his jean jacket with torn sleeves, while wearing a red-and-white striped shirt underneath, with jeans pants on. His other outfit would consist of wearing a baby blue t-shirt with a red long sleeve shirt at the bottom while wearing blue sweatpants. The last one would be...well...a simple white t-shirt, as a homage to Cody Travers of Final Fight/Street Fighter fame, and Axel Stone of Streets of Rage. Also, I guess if they want to be realistic, his default outfit would involve him having golden-blonde hair, as seen above. His alts. would involve blue hair, purple hair, and green hair. I'll think of the others later.

6. His FS would either be him and an army of Urban Fighters beating down on opponents, or the Urban Champ would basically use a grounded version of the Mii Brawler's FS.
Ah ok, so he’d use the covers like frisbees, I assume.

I dig your ideas, I don’t really think a switchblade would be a step too far (bladed weapons are nothing new in Smash, hell Ridley can stab opponents’ chest with the skewer on his tail, at close detail), but at the same time I don’t really think that’d be something fitting for Urban Champion, he’s just a simple street brawler.
I also think he should be a more silly version of Little Mac, I never really saw him as a serious dude, just a goofy cartoony street brawler.
DB4108B1-B2F6-44D3-8225-763B8324A86D.gif

I dig your ideas for his alts, but as for his default appearance, I think it should be fully based on his in-game design, you know what, I’m probably gonna draw how I would personally want Urban Champion to look like in Smash.

Your concept for his final smash is cool, but what I actually had in mind is having Urban Champion calling the cops, and have the police car arriving and taking you off-stage, if you get caught in their way, pretty much like Mr. Game & Watch’s FS. At first I thought that should be a stage hazard for his stage, but I’m afraid that would be way too OP.

Although I’d really love to see how a Giga version of Urban Champion would look like.

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
ever since DHD ive pictured the champion having moves borrowed from other retro fighting games

Mr. Stevenson

Smash Ace
ever since DHD ive pictured the champion having moves borrowed from other retro fighting games
Examples?
The only thing that came to my mind is having him hitting opponents with a trash can, as a reference to River City Ransom.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Examples?
The only thing that came to my mind is having him hitting opponents with a trash can, as a reference to River City Ransom.
well lets see from nintendo's own library we've got sukapon from joy mech fight, which could provide throws and that cart wheel thing, and the nes wrestling game which i admit im less familiar with so i cant be sure what youd get from it. and then all three of them could team up for a mii brawler style final smash

quick side note i saw a claim that myiamoto said that the characters are called Ron Imhoff and Alan Mussman, however i can see nothing to confirm this so take it with salt

Oddball

Smash Lord
I saw an interesting idea that somebody else had on another forum that I thought I'd share.

Urban Champion as a Team!

The Tow 'Champs follow each other around like Ice Climbers except they're always facing each other. All their attacks are meant to hit each other with any damage done to other fighters just being incidental. Of course trapping a character between the two means you could really wrack up some damage.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
I saw an interesting idea that somebody else had on another forum that I thought I'd share.

The Tow 'Champs follow each other around like Ice Climbers except they're always facing each other. All their attacks are meant to hit each other with any damage done to other fighters just being incidental. Of course trapping a character between the two means you could really wrack up some damage.
that is an interesting idea but could be broken

Mr. Stevenson

Smash Ace

Hmm honestly I’d much prefer to have just the main Urban Champion character as a solo fighter in there. But I admit that concept is still pretty creative and kind of funny. I wonder what their recovery would be, tho.

quick side note i saw a claim that myiamoto said that the characters are called Ron Imhoff and Alan Mussman, however i can see nothing to confirm this so take it with salt
Source?
I didn’t even know Miyamoto was involved in the game. How cool!

Mr. Stevenson

Smash Ace
Well this concept of Urban Champion’s FS isn’t great, but you can get the idea.
969B34CB-5EFE-4684-999D-C8C60C371BA4.jpeg

like i said i couldnt find the source of this claim
Oh ok, I thought you found that bit of information on some kind of fandom wiki or something.

Top Bottom