• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Switch to the Old School! Urban Champion for Smash

Mr. Stevenson

Smash Ace
simple mock up, but nice
Yeah, I wanted it to follow the same formula as both the Balloon Fight and Duck Hunt’s stage.

A realistic depiction of Urban Champion’s stage (like in Wrecking Crew and Ice Climber) would probably not be as charming as having it old school, imo.

I was also thinking that sometimes the stage could start walking left to right like in Pac-Land, forcing you to walk with it, however in here it would just stop when it gets to another building just like in UC.

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Yeah, I wanted it to follow the same formula as both Balloon Fighter and Duck Hunt’s stage.

A realistic depiction of Urban Champion’s stage (like in Wrecking Crew and Ice Climber) would probably not be as charming as having it old school, imo.

I was also thinking that sometimes the stage could start walking left to right like in Pac-Land, forcing you to walk with it, however in here it would just stop when it gets to another building just like in UC.
id say thatd be the perfect urban champion stage

Mr. Stevenson

Smash Ace
Like I mentioned before, I thought that would be best saved as Urban Champion’s FS which consists on the guy calling the cops and having the police car taking you off stage, if you get caught in its way (similarly to Mr Game and Watch’s FS):

26896CC9-239D-4FEE-B34B-37242DA1D055.jpeg

Oddball

Smash Lord
For Urban Champions classic mode, I'm torn between two ideas.

What do you think would be a better choice? Stickign with the street fighter theme and putting him up against purely fighting characters (like Ryu and Little Mac) or sticking him with the Urban theme and having him fight characters with City stages (Like Cloud in Midgar and Ness and Lucas in Foursides or Onette)?

I think either could work. Regardless, I'd want his mode to start with a match against Player 2 Colors Urban Champion on his own stage.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed

What do you think would be a better choice? Stickign with the street fighter theme and putting him up against purely fighting characters (like Ryu and Little Mac) or sticking him with the Urban theme and having him fight characters with City stages (Like Cloud in Midgar and Ness and Lucas in Foursides or Onette)?

I think either could work. Regardless, I'd want his mode to start with a match against Player 2 Colors Urban Champion on his own stage.
i think urban rather than just a rehash of an old one

Mr. Stevenson

Smash Ace

I honestly think it should be a mix of both, and by that I mean, it should involve him going up against fighting based characters (:ultryu::ultken::ultlittlemac::ultdk::ultincineroar::ultfalcon::ultbrawler::ult_terry:), but of course in city/town themed stages, most notably Fourside, New Donk City and obviously the UC stage.

Oddball

Smash Lord
I honestly think it should be a mix of both, and by that I mean, it should involve him going up against fighting based characters (:ultryu::ultken::ultlittlemac::ultdk::ultincineroar::ultfalcon::ultbrawler::ult_terry:), but of course in city/town themed stages, most notably Fourside, New Donk City and obviously the UC stage.
That's an interesting idea.

Who do you think should be used as a last boss?

Mr. Stevenson

Smash Ace
With Nintendo promoting Urban Champion over the years with a re-release on the e-reader and then on WII/WII U’s virtual console, an Arcade Archives release, its inclusion in NES Remix for the Wii U/3DS
1610196165814.jpeg
and of course, a new entry for the 3D Classic series for the 3DS, it really does show that the big N cares about this oldie, which is really great but at the same time it only makes it more questionable that the only time Urban Champion actually got some content in the Smash Brothers series was in Ultimate with a spirit. Imo he should at least have a stage based on his game as well, but honestly what’s really really baffling to me is how the guy didn’t even have a trophy in Smash 4, Brawl and specially Melee (the game where he was even considered for as a newcomer).

Last edited:

Oddball

Smash Lord
but honestly what’s really really baffling to me is how the guy didn’t even have a trophy in Smash 4, Brawl and specially Melee (the game where he was even considered for as a newcomer).
I'm wondering about that now.

I know he was considered, but how far did that get?

Was there any models made? Concept art? Sketches even?

Mr. Stevenson

Smash Ace
Yeah, I think he was quickly dismissed. I could see him doing a quick sketch on how he could work but a 3D model is a stretchy assumption, specially when the guy was one of the few NES Black Box icons to not get a Trophy in the game. Regardless it’s funny how he later on made Little Mac a fighter, who’s also all about hand to hand combat. Makes me wonder if had Urban Champion made the cut in Melee, would he have Little Mac’s moveset (except with a few kicks included).

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Yeah, I think he was quickly dismissed. I could see him doing a quick sketch on how he could work but a 3D model is a stretchy assumption, specially when the guy was one of the few NES Black Box icons to not get a Trophy in the game. Regardless it’s funny how he later on made Little Mac a fighter, who’s also all about hand to hand combat. Makes me wonder if had Urban Champion made the cut in Melee, would he have Little Mac’s moveset (except with a few kicks included).
well there might have been a few similarities but isnt most of mac's moves from the wii game?

Top Bottom