• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

SWF Regional Ratings - Last Updates: MK-Legal: Oct 1st | MK-Banned: Nov 15th

SilverDoc~

Smash Lord
I agree with judge as 4th, he places super high in nationals, my only issue with this list is why ksizzle is 9th? he deserves 5th or 6th, 7th tops, but 9th is pushing it.

ksizl4life

Smash Hero
well the list is stupid. i dont know how this works. the concept looks way too complicated. Judge places top 10 at nationals btw. i havent stopped doing that for a year either :p

swordgard

Smash Hero
well the list is stupid. i dont know how this works. the concept looks way too complicated. Judge places top 10 at nationals btw. i havent stopped doing that for a year either :p
Ok I will explain the concept fast and easy.

This is a mathematical way to rank every player that has entered a tourney in the past 4 months and will be updated in a ladder-like fashion every week at different times for different regions. The goal is to allow not only a bias-free ranking(this is not a PR, its point based) but also to allow every player to compare to each other as accurately as possible, kind of like chess with the ELO ranking system.

How it works completely is a bit complicated, but here is what you need to know.

A) The amount of points you can gain is solely based on attendance and the amount of money involved, bigger attendance and more money involved=more points if placing higher. There is no comparing between the level of 2 players skill to determine how many points you win, as this would be impossible to do with the amount of time/information we have in every tourney.
B) Because of this, there is no region bias in terms of which is "better or worst". Getting 2nd in a 15$ singles tourney with 150 people is worth the same in Ohio as in NJ.
C) The amount of points you gain depends on your final placing, and the amount of points add up by increment going round by round. Say if you get past round of pools 1 you get X point, then win 1st match bracket you gain an extra Y points and then another you get another extra Z points. You then lose twice, you end up with X+Y+Z points at the end of the tourney. The amount of points gained depends on factors such as the number of people who are in each round and how many make it out of them.
D) Bracket points are made so that you gain the same amount of points if you get there through winners or losers. So if you win once in winners, gain 10 points, then lose twice and you end up 17th, then you have 10 points. If you lose your first match, then win the next two matches, the first one being worth 3.4 points and the second 6.6, you end up 17th with the exact same number of points.

Vinnie

Smash Master
So if I move to a completely insignificant state like Colorado or some shiz, and continuously **** their tourneys getting top 3 out of 40, with 10$ entry, every single time, then I will be above the people that don't get top 3 in states like California, NY/NJ, MD/VA, and Florida?

AlphaZealot

Former Smashboards Owner
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
Probably not, because finding a weak region with consistent tournaments with that much attendance is...unlikely.

More importantly, the better players will go to larger tournaments then your 20-40 man events and place well there, which is worth substantially more then whatever you can achieve at those small events.

Megavitamins

Smash Champion
Probably not, because finding a weak region with consistent tournaments with that much attendance is...unlikely.

More importantly, the better players will go to larger tournaments then your 20-40 man events and place well there, which is worth substantially more then whatever you can achieve at those small events.
Then you have to consider all the good people going to strong regions and consistently placing right outside the money, they are probably far better than the people who place top 3 in weaker regions as well.... D=

swordgard

Smash Hero
why do some people have 8-9 played events when the limit is 6?
It shows the total but in theory only top 6 should count(im gonna check if theres any mistakes today).

As to whoever said colorado was a weak region, yes they had a 40 man tourney, but they have them often(nor do they have tourney often at all). There is no accurate way for us to put a regional skill level as this would include an incredibly huge level of bias in our ranking(is NJ 1.5 times better? twice? where is the exact multiplier and how do we give points to regions we know little of?). Also, this should be in tourney discussion tbh.

ADHD

Smash Hero
If this was to at least show some sort of realistic order, dehf would not be 31st.

swordgard

Smash Hero
If this was to at least show some sort of realistic order, dehf would not be 31st.
This is because california and WC does not supply their tourney results for the most part, we can't done anything about it if we don't get payouts and full rankings here. Also, this is currently inaccurate as some people go to more tourneys than other and we haven't done tourneys for the last 4 months, this will slowly become more accurate as people rack up events.

The concept is right, it just takes some help/time, kind of like the character rankings thread.

rathy Aro

Smash Lord
Agreed.

These are so wierd.... but, I'm happy with Will's (good ****) placement and Inui's placement (lol).

Rajam

Smash Champion
I think Texas can submit all our tourny stuff except for its payouts. Are those absolutely needed?
If there is no way to remember which were the payouts, then give the entry fee, plus any bonus that was added to the pot. Only do that as last resource.

can this be done for melee??
If someone else is interested in doing it for Melee, I have no problem giving them the points-per-tournament tutorial and other stuffs. I'm not very interested in Melee by now...

They will not pick and choose a rank for just one player from a tournament, it will be every player from that tournament.
This. Everyone or nobody

minty + mintyflesh = megavitamins?
Correct

So if I move to a completely insignificant state like Colorado or some shiz, and continuously **** their tourneys getting top 3 out of 40, with 10$ entry, every single time, then I will be above the people that don't get top 3 in states like California, NY/NJ, MD/VA, and Florida?
As AZ said, you'll need that region to constantly organize big events. If that happens, you could somehow abuse the system. Nonetheless, national events are the tournaments which will matter the more in the end. If you 'abuse' the system in a weak region, but you don't go or place bad in national events, you deffinitely will be far from top places anyways.

clowsui

Smash Legend
please read, xzax...this is because aZ submitted a LOOT of tournies whereas everyone else has kinda been slacking

AlphaZealot

Former Smashboards Owner
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
Start submitting tournaments! It isn't my fault that the MW actually posts up full TIO brackets and full results on a consistent basis (oh wait...maybe I did have something to do with that)...

Zucco

Smash Master
Xzax, the list is already flawed since they don't take in account the skill that different regions have. Just let it be.

swordgard

Smash Hero
Still to call this Official SWF Brawl Rankings is stupid because if its going to be biased at all then its not official.....

You are stupid, this is in no way midwest based. Anyone who gives results will be accounted in this, its TOs fault if this is not as good as it could be.

Zucco, please shut up, you are spreading misinformation. It would be actually terribad if we did that, as this would be 100% bias. Nationals are still what yields the most point, so that won't even matter.

AlphaZealot

Former Smashboards Owner
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
Also its very early. Right now only like 1/10th of the possible tournaments are on there. As time goes on things will get better as the pool of data is increased substantially.

Also its a hope that more TO's will post full results + brackets (via AiB) so that their tournaments can be added to this ranking.

Xzax Kasrani

Smash Master
Your flaming me for disagreeing with the rankings and pointing out that this is mid-west biased(many mid-west players that i know people are better then are ranked way above them esp. in an easier region). Don't flame me da **** is wrong with you.

AlphaZealot

Former Smashboards Owner
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
There is a difference between something being biased and something being skewed. Right now the results are skewed in favor of the MW since it has a disproportionate amount of tournaments represented and being ranked. That doesn't mean they are being biased (since it is unintentional), it just means that someone (mainly me) submitted a bunch of tournaments and got the ball started, and now its on the EC TO's to submit their tournaments and catch up. That's the thing, its early right now, so it won't be as accurate as a year down the road from now.

They are not intentionally stacking the deck in the MW favor. That would be bias. They are simply adding the data as it comes in, and the MW was the first to submit a lot of tournaments.

Weighting the rankings based on some arbitrary idea of the "skill" of a region would ACTUALLY be biased. Just ranking on pure data is not.

Shadow 111

Smash Lord
Your flaming me for disagreeing with the rankings and pointing out that this is mid-west biased(many mid-west players that i know people are better then are ranked way above them esp. in an easier region). Don't flame me da **** is wrong with you.
dude, i understand what you're saying, but you're not even listening to them >_>. keep in mind that not every NY/NJ/PA tournament has been taken into recognition yet. many of the MW tournaments have been sent in. the list is not finalized, obviously. i just jumped about 20 spots since last time. no need to get all crazy about it. it's not like people are looking at the list and are saying "oh, so this is EXACTLY every players rank in the country, huh?"...

Zucco

Smash Master
You are stupid, this is in no way midwest based. Anyone who gives results will be accounted in this, its TOs fault if this is not as good as it could be.

Zucco, please shut up, you are spreading misinformation. It would be actually terribad if we did that, as this would be 100% bias. Nationals are still what yields the most point, so that won't even matter.
who the **** says terribad?

Vinnie

Smash Master

Shadow 111

Smash Lord

swordgard

Smash Hero

culexus・wau

Purchased premium only to change name ><

ShippoFoxFire

Smash Lord

swordgard

Smash Hero
Ok, i think this thread was derailed enough. Im pretty sure were all going to get infractions anyways.

Any OTHER questions about the ranking?

Top Bottom