• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Mario Universe SWF Mario Kart Events Thread [Definite Return for Mario Kart 8 :)]

Gatlin

cactus in the valley that's about to crumble down.
It's okay
Z'z decided to reschedule the tournament for next Sunday due to personal reasons; and because of people not being to make it after the previously scheduled time. It is now going to be on next Sunday the 7th of October, same time etc.

If you want, I can add you to the chat Diddy if you have Skype and are interested, since most activity planning and stuff is done on there.

3DS FC
1865-2252-2875
Don't really want a Skype.....

Just umm to be sure will the time be 1:00pm for central time?

:phone:

Brickbox

Smash Master
3DS FC
0344-9566-1729
Glad this got rescheduled and I dont have to miss it.
Unles I work next Sunday which is possible lol.

Gatlin

Wondering if it could possibly be moved to Saturday or something, then? If that would be any better at least. If 3 people miss out for next Sunday, the turnout will be even worse this time around. :/

BSP

Smash Legend
It's ok, I haven't played seriously in a while either.

Everyone thinks I'm the **** in MKW here, and they won't believe me when I tell them I'm not that good X_x. If only they could see a wifi race lol.

kinghippo99

Smash Lord
Wow, this is a sad state of affairs. Let's bring this baby back since most of us are off for finals and suddenly have all this free time! At around 12EST tonight Jason and I and hopefully a few others are gonna get on Skype and **** around on MK7 all night. If anybody's interested, I'll get on earlier. :3

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Ever since I got my hands on "Pokemon White Version 2" and "Style Savvy: Trendsetters", I've pretty much stopped playing Mario Kart 7. I don't think I have any more community points at this point in time.

Gatlin

Maybe it would be worth it to make a little section under the normal FC's for CT-alts.
Although I'm not sure if anyone else plays them besides you, me, and Final.

Regardless, I guess you can add this one for me: 3310 9880 1602

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789
Genuine question, how does MK have competitive drive when items are so OP? It just seems to luck-based to me to be competitive, but then again I don't play at a high-level so I wouldn't know.

Brickbox

Smash Master
3DS FC
0344-9566-1729
well its like a card game, you dont know exactly what your gonna get but its all about playing your cards right.

you don't know what items your gonna get or what others are gonna get but a good player makes educated guesses, uses track knowledge to use items effectively, and has good lines so that it doesnt all come down to luck.

There still is a lot of luck involved though.

-Final-

Aria♪
I won't be able to play CTGP again until I get a bigger SD card. :s The newest update doesn't even fit on the crappy one I have lol

Here's my alt's FC for when I do start playing it again, though: 0175-7703-7873

:avril:

Gatlin

Genuine question, how does MK have competitive drive when items are so OP? It just seems to luck-based to me to be competitive, but then again I don't play at a high-level so I wouldn't know.
I'll re-use a huge post I made in the past about my opinion on skill in MK:

Everyone generally will take the same route yes, it mainly just depends on how well you take these routes, which depends on how good your "lines" in this game are; or basically how fast you go through the course. The best line for any course is the one which will give you the shortest lap time possible. Someone who has practiced a course and has really good lines racing against someone who has mediocre lines will almost always result in them winning the race, clearly. Getting **** on by a hoard of blue shells or whatever can affect this outcome, you are right; but 49 out of 50 times, the good-lines person will win. You will definitely have to factor in the player's knowledge of various shortcuts, all ranging far and wide in terms of difficulty, as well. A prime example being the double on DK Summit, or the lava cut on Grumble Volcano. Someone who doesn't perform shortcuts or doesn't perform them well will have a very hard time against someone who does. However, ultra-shortcuts should not be factored into someone's "skill"; and you are an extreme noob who I have lost all respect for if you do them.

Other than lines and knowledge of shortcuts, a person's item-usage has a definite large chunk in terms of their skill as well. Generally in your typical worldwide, you will get a lot of people who have no idea how or when to use their items, and they will generally just do whatever random thing they can come up with, which usually results in spamming good items almost immediately, such as the Shock. While this can be annoying at times, it also works to an experienced player's advantage in terms of predicting when shocks will happen. The shock doesn't appear until ~30 seconds into the race, if it or a blue shell appears before then, you are racing with a hacker. Typically, as I said before, when the average player sees that shiny Shock in their possession, they are for sure going to spam it right away. This is your opportunity to dodge it with simply just knowing the location of all the item boxes on the minimap, and paying attention to when the bottom 2 positions pass over the first item-box set after the 30 second mark. If you have a power item (Star, Bill, Mega) and you see those bottom spots pass over the item boxes after 30 seconds and you use your item, I guarantee you will have an incredibly higher chance at dodging the shock. This same prediction-rule applies to more experienced players who like to "target shock" others as well. If it has been passed 30 seconds, you are entering lap 3, no shock, and 1st place has somewhat of a small breakaway and are approaching the jump to enter the Bowser-room on Bowser Castle Wii... It would probably be wise to use your star or whatever just before they hit the ramp. This is an extremely popular TS-area, and I would not be surprised if a shock were to happen and you were to dodge at all. Predicting and dodging the Shock is key.

BACKING away from the Shock though, because I could go on about that item forever, creating traps with items such as bananas and FIB's is very useful as well. Generally what I mean by this is placing these items right after corners which are generally taken very tight, or on long sprial-turns such as the ending to Bowser Castle N64. Due to the tightness of these turns, it can be generally easy to get people with whatever item you leave for them to hit. Simply because they do not see the item until it is too late for them to be able to react and dodge it. This doesn't only work with stationary items either; and is also possible and potentially easier with backspamming shells as well. However, backspam and traps such as the ones listed above are very easy to predict and thus very easy to dodge at times. You may also get players who place these items slightly wider in anticipation of you going wide to dodge.

ANYWAYS, I could go on about other things like target POW's and blocking certain shortcuts, but I've typed 87x more than I wanted to in the first place xD. Basically, there is skill to this game, and it does vary quite a bit simply on how well the person's lines are, how knowledgeable they are about shortcuts, and how well they know item-usage.

Basically towards your question, there can be luck involved sometimes, but racing with dozens of experienced racers will show you a wide range of how skill can come into play; and how "luck" isn't so much more than just prediction.

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789
That was a pretty cool. I always had a concept of tactical item use, but it always seemed to be more situational to me rather than bread-and-butter skill that has a strong weighting on your skill as a racer.

The only thing I possibly disagree with is with the 49/50 ratio? Do you really think it's that strong with how OP items are?

Z'zgashi

Smash Legend
NNID
ZzgashiZzShy
3DS FC
1521-3678-2980
Items honestly arent as OP as people make them out to be, and every item in the game has some sort of counter or thing that block/dodges it, so yes, 49/50 does seem right imo.

Top Bottom