• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Work In Progress SWF Community Voted Tier List - 3.0 COMPLETE

Wintermelon43

Smash Champion
If you claim that you 'main 17 characters and secondary 23' then you obviously don't have '17 mains' and '23 secondaries'. A main character is 1 character. A secondary is 1 or potentially more characters (that could fall under the bracket as 'pocket', unless they're played for fun). The remaining characters are just characters you play. So no, you don't 'main 17' and 'secondary 23', you just play 40 characters. If you're looking to play the game competitively and be successful, then playing more characters than you need to will serve as a detriment.
You can actually duo main too, but yeah, nothing more, you are correct otherwise

Xandercosm

Smash Lord
NNID
vineto
I don't understand why you would "main" more than one character. The term is "main" for a reason. The single main character that you play the most of/are the best with. I think secondaries/pockets are where every other character should go.

I wouldn't beat the man up for playing so many characters. He can do what he wants. I definitely agree, though, that it isn't a good way to be competitive. Each character has such a depth of strategy and techskill that you are limiting yourself by playing too many characters.

Last edited:

Stick Dude

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Sticker
3DS FC
1633-4504-2636
Keep in mind that he probably doesn't care about competitive play.

Thecombosetups

Smash Apprentice
NNID
ComboSetup
3DS FC
3540-1655-8773
Keep in mind that he probably doesn't care about competitive play.
I do care about competitive play. I do understand that playing many characters is not a good thing, but I do enjoy playing these characters. Plus I only play 5 characters for each tournament I go to.

Wintermelon43

Smash Champion
Yeah guys. It's really not nice to judge other peoples' choices. I think he should do whatever he wants. After all, if you have fun that's all that matters.
Going by his signature, he just dropped 39 characters O_O. Either that or he doesn't want this to happen again. Probably the latter.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
Yeah guys. It's really not nice to judge other peoples' choices. I think he should do whatever he wants. After all, if you have fun that's all that matters.
It is if he isn't using Pit...jk

Last edited:

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
Interesting. You seem to be all for other people using your favorite characters, whereas I get very defensive over other people using mine.
To me, only bad players can't touch Pit. Good reps is always a good thing.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
If you're a 'bad' player, then Pit is one of the go-to characters to use.
Not really, considering...For Glory(if this was Mario or Falcon, than yeah..but this is Pit were talking about)

Xandercosm

Smash Lord
NNID
vineto
Not really, considering...For Glory(if this was Mario or Falcon, than yeah..but this is Pit were talking about)
Um... Pit's Side-B is like the ultimate noob spam move. Everyone always says Mario is the best character for new players, but when you think about it, to get reward off him, you have to actually play quite well. Pit/Dark Pit can just spam Side-B and win easily against a bad/new opponent. It's also the reason that Pit/Dark Pit aren't as successful in competitive play.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
Um... Pit's Side-B is like the ultimate noob spam move. Everyone always says Mario is the best character for new players, but when you think about it, to get reward off him, you have to actually play quite well. Pit/Dark Pit can just spam Side-B and win easily against a bad/new opponent. It's also the reason that Pit/Dark Pit aren't as successful in competitive play.
Mario-Grab, Dthrow, Uptilt for a long time unless you want to do an uair or spam Up B to death...then smash attacks nonstop.

Pit/Dark Pit aren't as successful in competitive play because they're not broken, can't spam moves you're unable to get out of, are hella pure, and just as popular in general. If you compare Pit/Dark Pit to characters like Shiek, ZSS, Ryu, Bayonetta, Cloud, Rosaluma, etc., than you'll know this. They're on the same boat as high tier/mid tier characters like Ike, Lucas, Yoshi, or Expand Dong(Donkey Kong)...all able to win tournaments, but currently not that popular atm(until one day Daddy Sakurai blows up Shiek and ZSS along with everyone else ranked higher than Pit, making him the best character in Nintendo history)

Routa

Smash Lord
I would not put Pit(s) in a same place as Ike due to Pit(s) having more neutral MU spread in comparison to Ike's more "counterpick" like MU spread.

Last edited:

Xandercosm

Smash Lord
NNID
vineto
Mario-Grab, Dthrow, Uptilt for a long time unless you want to do an uair or spam Up B to death...then smash attacks nonstop.

Pit/Dark Pit aren't as successful in competitive play because they're not broken, can't spam moves you're unable to get out of, are hella pure, and just as popular in general. If you compare Pit/Dark Pit to characters like Shiek, ZSS, Ryu, Bayonetta, Cloud, Rosaluma, etc., than you'll know this. They're on the same boat as high tier/mid tier characters like Ike, Lucas, Yoshi, or Expand Dong(Donkey Kong)...all able to win tournaments, but currently not that popular atm(until one day Daddy Sakurai blows up Shiek and ZSS along with everyone else ranked higher than Pit, making him the best character in Nintendo history)
DK is pretty popular actually. More popular than Ike sooo, I'd say that's decent popularity. Plus, he has a top 10 player (Larry Lurr) playing him. But that's besides the point. I do think the Pits are good but they are also really predictable and, like you said, don't have lagless smash attacks and aerials. My main issue with the Pits is that they don't really do the "all-around" archetype as well as some other characters. Also their airspeed could be improved.

I would maybe put them in top 20 but no higher. That's pretty dang good, though. They're totally viable just they have some noticeable issues, that's all. Hopefully they get more rep in the future.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
DK is pretty popular actually. More popular than Ike sooo, I'd say that's decent popularity. Plus, he has a top 10 player (Larry Lurr) playing him. But that's besides the point. I do think the Pits are good but they are also really predictable and, like you said, don't have lagless smash attacks and aerials. My main issue with the Pits is that they don't really do the "all-around" archetype as well as some other characters. Also their airspeed could be improved.

I would maybe put them in top 20 but no higher. That's pretty dang good, though. They're totally viable just they have some noticeable issues, that's all. Hopefully they get more rep in the future.
I don't think Sakurai ever intended them to be beginning characters like Mario, explaining the speed and laggy smash attacks(besides down smash...so fast compared to the other two).

And yeah as of right now, they're in the top 20...along with :4bayonetta:/:4bayonetta2::4falcon::4cloud::4corrinf::4diddy::4fox::4myfriends::4mario::4metaknight::4ness::4peach::4pikachu::4rob::4ryu::4sheik::4sonic::4villager::4zss::4yoshi:(and then there's :4pit:/:4darkpit:).

Also, DK may be popular...but he's not Shiek/ZSS popular.
I would not put Pit(s) in a same place as Ike due to Pit(s) having more neutral MU spread in comparison to Ike's more "counterpick" like MU spread.
But both/all 3 characters were completely ignored by everyone worldwide...now they aren't(though the Pits are more popular outside of America)

Bowserboy3

Asking mum how to talk to a lady
NNID
Bowserboy3
Also, DK may be popular...but he's not Shiek/ZSS popular
Actually, is that just a myth about Sheik and ZSS? Out of all the tournaments I've been to, I've not seen a single Sheik, and only 1 ZSS. In fact, nobody in my area plays Sheik or ZSS (unless you count me, who is now using ZSS).

Personally, from my experience, I'd say most popular characters include Mario, Falcon, Fox, Link, Ness, Yoshi and Pit/DP. The amount of people who use these characters is insane.

Wintermelon43

Smash Champion
Actually, is that just a myth about Sheik and ZSS? Out of all the tournaments I've been to, I've not seen a single Sheik, and only 1 ZSS. In fact, nobody in my area plays Sheik or ZSS (unless you count me, who is now using ZSS).

Personally, from my experience, I'd say most popular characters include Mario, Falcon, Fox, Link, Ness, Yoshi and Pit/DP. The amount of people who use these characters is insane.
You are right in that ZSS isn't popular (Except in Tristate since Marrss goes to it a ton, and then there's Nairo too.), But Sheik is defitenly popular. Sounds like a region problem to me. For example, Socal, The largest america region, They're top two players, ZeRo and Void, all main Sheik, and another good player, K9, uses her too.

Bowserboy3

Asking mum how to talk to a lady
NNID
Bowserboy3
You are right in that ZSS isn't popular (Except in Tristate since Marrss goes to it a ton, and then there's Nairo too.), But Sheik is defitenly popular. Sounds like a region problem to me. For example, Socal, The largest america region, They're top two players, ZeRo and Void, all main Sheik, and another good player, K9, uses her too.
Oh i'm not necessarily talking about top players, but just any kind of player that enters a tournament. Sheik isn't usually the character that I see grunts/scrubs/nobodies entering tournaments with, but usually the ones I mentioned.

Xandercosm

Smash Lord
NNID
vineto
Oh i'm not necessarily talking about top players, but just any kind of player that enters a tournament. Sheik isn't usually the character that I see grunts/scrubs/nobodies entering tournaments with, but usually the ones I mentioned.
It's not like Brawl MK where basically everybody and their mother used that character.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609

Of course it'd be the UK...they always gotta have certain things better than the US

Browny

Smash Hater
Mewtwo
Duck Hunt
DDD
Cloud +1

Falco -1

UPDATED :)

I merged tier 8 because :4dedede: was by himself and it was multiple weeks in a row when people wanted that row eliminated

Last edited:

lbrasz44

Smash Apprentice
+:4lucina: needs to be closer to Marth, they are not a tier apart
+:4wario: ranking around 20th is the most reasonable placing for him, so theoretically he's fine where he is. It's just that he should be at tier 4 instead
+:4pit::4darkpit: samesies ^
+:4rob: samesies ^
-:4pikachu: don't know why this guy is still considered on par with the likes of Rosalina, Bayonetta etc. I equate this guy to being on par with Fox; still a high tier but not so dominant

haha that last round absolutely skewed tiers 4 and 5

D

Deleted member

Time to vote, I suppose. Tiers 4 and 5 seriously look outta whack. Hope that fixes itself next voting period.

:4pikachu:-1 Pikachu shouldn't be top 5. Not at all. Nobody gets notable results with him at majors besides ESAM unlike all the other characters grouped with him in his tier, and his issues sealing stocks at high percents along with a punish game that pales in comparison to other high tiers is rather noticeable. He should definitely be lower for these reasons alone, along with not being of simply not being of much relevance.

:4link:-1 I've seen what Link can do, and I acknowledge Link's positive traits as a character. He has a long ranged, damaging tether, good range, good camping game and projectile setups, a decent recovery, and a good grab game overall. However, what bites him is his pretty bad disadvantage state especially in CQC, and having a mediocre MU spread (he barely beats anybody who's consistently seen at tournaments) along with barely any notable results to speak of besides Izaw's performance at BEAST 6 doesn't help him either. In a meta where fast characters outfitted with good punish game dominate the meta, Link simply doesn't belong. He's practically outclassed by :4tlink: in almost every way besides damage output and reward off grab.

:4lucina:+1 Maybe one day people will realize the lack of a tipper doesn't constitute Lucina being a tier worse than Marth, let alone a bottom tier character like she's widely seen as. Especially after patch 1.1.4 which made her closer to Marth in terms of viability than ever before. Her getting 4th at Glitch low tier singles recently is at least something. She has good damage output, moves that are mostly safe on shield, good movement, an fsmash that comes out on frame 10 and kills as early as 60-70% on the ledge, and she's just as capable as spacing as other swordies in the game (especially with ftilt and dtilt), unless your name is :4feroy:.

:4wario:-1 Sorry Wario, I love you, but you're definitely not at the top of your tier. It's just seemed like Wario has been dropping off in the meta so hard lately, even with people such as Waymas and Reflex still putting in work with the character. Abadango dropped him, Tweek dropped him, and I haven't seen Boss use him in quite a while either.

It's not hard to see why. Wario just gets outneutraled by a lot of characters and loses hard to disjoints do to his poor range and lack of a combo breaker. He can be a weird character to get around and figure out once you face him for the first time, but you see how many gaping holes his neutral has.

He basically has to make small pokes without committing and air camp/stall for Waft due to his overall lack of safety on shield and overall poor range meaning he can't get in your face, an act that gets predictable rather fast if the opponent realizes it. Besides from Waft, a lucky ftilt or fthrow, he has a very hard time taking a stock off and has low reward on hit. This combined with him poorly performing against every high tier or even other mid tiers (:4sheik:,:4cloud:,:4corrin:,:4diddy:,:4marth:,:4mewtwo:,:4ness: and :4megaman: come to mind) just doesn't give me much hope for him, a shame because I think he's an interesting oddity compared to most of the cast.

:4shulk:-1 Pretty much everybody in his tier has done more than him, lol.

Last edited by a moderator:

Axel311

Smash Ace
NNID
axel311
-1 :4pikachu:- Few results, ESAM's placements have been slipping. Range issues against the new characters. Killing issues. Hard to see based on results how he can be in the top 10 anymore.
-1 :4zss:- I don't see how she can be #2 anymore after the nerf and the promise Bayo and Cloud are showing currently.
+1:4cloud:- Best neutral in the game and Limit is broken. Recovery not near as bad as people thought. Lots of results coming in. Hard to see how he's not a top 3 character at this point.
+1:4bayonetta:- Lots of results coming in. Zero to death combos. Witch time is broken. Her tools are ridiculous and results are already coming in, despite how new she is.
+1:4samus: - Despite her flaws, she has too many results to be in the bottom 10.

Last edited:

Xandercosm

Smash Lord
NNID
vineto
-1 :4zss:- I don't see how she can be #2 anymore after the nerf and the promise Bayo and Cloud are showing currently.
+1:4cloud:- Best neutral in the game and Limit is broken. Recovery not near as bad as people thought. Lots of results coming in. Hard to see how he's not a top 3 character at this point.
+1:4bayonetta:- Lots of results coming in. Zero to death combos. Witch time is broken. Her tools are ridiculous and results are already coming in, despite how new she is.
Playing right into the hyperbole, aren't we?

+ Yoshi
+ Diddy
+ Marth
- Bowser
- Greninja
Why -1 for Bowser? He's already criminally low, considering the massive buffs he's gotten recently.

Axel311

Smash Ace
NNID
axel311
Playing right into the hyperbole, aren't we?
Absolutely. The hype when it comes to those characters is real. Been out only a few months and we're already seeing top players going down left and right to those characters and lots of top placements.

Last edited:

Routa

Smash Lord
+:4cloud2:
+:4corrin:
+:4diddy:
+:4villager:
-:4greninja:

If you wonder why I up-voted Villager, Corrin and Cloud... Well the thing is that they are beasts in doubles. We should not only look at singles.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
Not particularly. I was merely stating things from my own experiences. No need to get all political lol.
I don't care about the politics; I'm coating it to things they have better like WWE crowd reactions

Top Bottom