• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

SWF College Outreach: Atlantic North Chapter ~Last Call

Status
Not open for further replies.

CT Chia

Smash Obsessed
College is a big thing for most of you out there, and by no means do I want to detract from your studies and experiences in the classroom (which I encourage by all means), you know what else is awesome? All of the extra curricular activities you can partake in - now what if we added Smash into the picture?

Getting better attendance at tournaments, organized play, better practice, and much more. These are some of the things we can hope by spreading the word about Smash World Forums and Smash Organizations alike through the US. I will be heading a project to help spread awareness of such groups, and provide support for others in the creation and upkeep of these organizations along with others through the SWF College Outreach Program.

Still in the early parts of it, step 1 is something simple. I would like to find out which Smashers here currently go to, or have attended college, along with a simple question or two. If this applies to you, it would be a big help to fill out the couple of questions at the end of this post, it should take no more than a minute to fill out!

There is a copy of this thread in each of the regional zones. Please only fill it out once, and reply to the section for which region your college is in (for instance if you live in Atlantic North but go to school in Atlantic South, please reply to the Atl. South thread).

What college/university do you go to?

What state is this school in?

Are you currently enrolled, graduated, or starting soon?

If you have not yet graduated, what year do you plan to graduate? If you have graduated, what year was it in?

Does your school have a specific Smash organization? If not, is there a similar club like an Anime or Video games club where many members share an interest in Smash? What is the name of this organization?

Do you hold an office position (such as President, Vice President, Treasurer, etc) in such organization?

CT Chia

Smash Obsessed
I'll start off with myself since this certainly applies to me :)

Drexel University

PA

Enrolled

If you have not yet graduated, what year do you plan to graduate? If you have graduated, what year was it in?

Does your school have a specific Smash organization? If not, is there a similar club like an Anime or Video games club where many members share an interest in Smash? What is the name of this organization?
Yes, a Smash only organization - The Drexel Smash Organization

Do you hold an office position (such as President, Vice President, Treasurer, etc) in such organization?
Yes, President

Nintendude

Smash Hero
Cornell University

NY

Enrolled

Class of '11, MEng '12

Cornell SSB Club

Secretary

MajorGamer14

Smash Cadet
UMass Amherst

MA

Starting soon

Idk...if anyone here is from Amherst could you fill me in?

Hopefully I can

Inferno3044

Smash Master
VCU

VA

Starting soon

Don't know yet. Apparently Richmond is like 2 hours away from any smash scene -.-

If there is one, I'll hold one.

Cobalt

Smash Journeyman
Carnegie Mellon University

Pennsylvania

Currently enrolled

We don't have a Smash club specifically, however our Online Gaming Society runs Melee as one of its larger events. The Smashers in the school all know each other fairly well.

Yes

Vanill4

Smash Cadet
Stony Brook University

New York

Enrolled

Graduating in May 2010

Animated Perspectives is a club here interested in anime, and people can be found in its club space playing Melee every weekday.

No

I think it's also worth noting that we recently set up a power rankings ladder which currently has 38 players on it. It's a rather interesting system (if a little complex at first), and if anyone is curious, I'd be glad to post the rules/format/details here as well.

metalmonstar

Smash Lord
Hagerstown Community College

Maryland

Enrolled

This year and then graduate next year with even more degrees

Not a specific club for Smash but we have a gaming club which has formed a crew here on smashboards. The Wombo Combo Gaming club

I am the founder and President. Things all started when I started hosting tournaments on campus. Then the following year I started a weekly gameday. Interest in smash grew and a gaming club for formed to meet their needs since I was getting too busy to run things on my own.

B0NK

Smash Lord
Polytechnic Institute of NYU

NY

Starting Soon

Don't know yet, but I have heard of the events like Poly Smash and other events hosted there.

No.

ycz12

Smash Ace
MIT

MA

Starting soon, class of 2014

TwentyTwo

Smash Ace
George Mason University

VA

Enrolled

Uh, I think there is a video games club and anime.

Do you hold an office position (such as President, Vice President, Treasurer, etc) in such organization? Nope.

_umbra_

Smash Champion
Penn State :)

Pennsylvania

Currently enrolled, but on a leave of absence until this fall

I've fallen pretty far behind due to health problems so it's difficult to say, but my guess is 2013

There's no smash organization, but there's a gaming club that holds little brawl events and meets up once a week for FFAs and such. Those of us who play competitively don't work through that club, but we've been ****ing with the idea of starting a smash club.

nooooooo

M@v

Subarashii!

Penn State

Pennsylvania

Currently enrolled

Probably Fall 2012

Pretty much what umbra said. There are a couple clubs (ex. Game Design club, and a couple others). That hold smash tourneys. My fraternity holds a smash tourney as a rush event every semester(Want to guess who is in charge of that event? :lol:)

no.

Bones0

Smash Legend

Harford Community College

Maryland

Enrolled

No; it has a video game club called Gamer's Guild and there are a few people who play Brawl.

No.

Yumewomiteru

Smash Master
NNID
yumewomiteru
Boston University

Boston, MA

Enrolled

CAS 2012

http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=256340

I will be one of three Smash Fridays hosts

Redd

thataintfalco.com
BRoomer

Virginia Tech

Southern Virginia

Currently enrolled.

We don't have an organization, per se. But there are between 15-20 of us who play every so often

N/A

The Cunning Weasel

Smash Master
What college/university do you go to? George Mason University

Fairfax, Virginia

Currently enrolled

2013 hopefully

I wish we had a Smash club/organization. I think there's a video game and anime club. >_>

Do you hold an office position (such as President, Vice President, Treasurer, etc) in such organization? Nah

EmuKiller

Smash Ace
EmuKiller?! More like... FREEmuKiller!!!!!!
Rowan University

NJ

Enrolled

2012... Probably '13 at the rate my GPA is going.

Thursday, Friday, and Saturday some jerkfaces play all items/stages from 8:00pm-1:30am in the student center (Rowan After Hours). I usually go with my buddy and we tornado them.

There's food that goes out at midnight. I wear a tuxedo vest and bring that food out (PRETTY SNAZZY YOU GUYS).

Yumewomiteru

Smash Master
NNID
yumewomiteru
If you guys have a consistent smashfest then it's a good idea to make a thread about it, we got many new ppl to come because of it.

Teczer0

Research Assistant
Premium
BRoomer
... Ehh why not?

what college/university do you go to?
New Jersey Institute of Technology

New Jersey

Enrolled

I think we have an anime club.. called... the anime club lol

Not involved with the organization.

Keblerelf

Smash Ace
The College of New Jersey

New Jersey lol

Enrolled

No specific smash club. I tried to get a friday smashfest together one night but that failed. There is an anime club and 2 people who play brawl competitively that i know of and a lot of casual players. I'm like, one of 3 melee players that I know of.

No

thesage

Smash Hero
3DS FC
4957-3743-1481
Virginia Commonwealth University

Virginia

Enrolled

We have a smashfest once a week with around 4 people usually. Doll, me, thefear, his brother, perry, and twitch have all attended. Only melee. Except for Doll we're all on the same skill level pretty much...

No

FirewaterDM

Smash Apprentice
What college/university do you go to? George Mason

What state is this school in? Virginia

Are you currently enrolled, graduated, or starting soon? Enrolled

If you have not yet graduated, what year do you plan to graduate? 2013 or 2014

If they do, then i don't know who or where it is

Do you hold an office position (such as President, Vice President, Treasurer, etc) in such organization? nope.

Luck-NYC/NJ

Smash Lord
BergenField, Bergen County(North East Jersey)

NYC College of Technology

New York

Currently enrolled.

Well, theres a gamer club called the Video Game Alliance (VGA). Street fighter and Tekken are the primary games played however there are a couple smashers who play brawl here -_-. When i bring melee i play with my one friend who also goes here.

nope

crismas

Smash Master
NNID
crismaspresents

Fashion Institute of Technology

New York City

Graduated

FIT Anime Club. Tuesday is dedicated to Anime and on Thursday is dedicated to gaming. I actually started playing smash through this club :)

Nope, never did, not officially anyway but I was heavily involved in the club and giving suggestions often.

LMAO I think I'm the only one who responded who has been graduated for a while >_>

balladechina212

Smash Ace
Princeton University

New Jersey

Enrolled

We have an organization called SmashCraft Heroes, which is a general gaming club.

I was the founder and president of this club, but due to academics, I will not be officially involved with the club next year. I also organized the Princeton Intercollegiate Smash Invitational last fall, and I'm hoping that other people will take that example and do more tournaments like that.

TheCrimsonBlur

Smash Master
What college/university do you go to? University of Virginia

What state is this school in? Virginia lol

Are you currently enrolled, graduated, or starting soon? Enrolled

If you have not yet graduated, what year do you plan to graduate? If you have graduated, what year was it in? 2012

Does your school have a specific Smash organization? If not, is there a similar club like an Anime or Video games club where many members share an interest in Smash? What is the name of this organization? No Smash organization, but there are Anime/video game clubs. The "Gamers Club" is rather big, but not much Melee interest overall.

Do you hold an office position (such as President, Vice President, Treasurer, etc) in such organization? No.

Dobs1007

Smash Ace
Penn State :)

Pennsylvania

Currently enrolled, but on a leave of absence until this fall

I've fallen pretty far behind due to health problems so it's difficult to say, but my guess is 2013

There's no smash organization, but there's a gaming club that holds little brawl events and meets up once a week for FFAs and such. Those of us who play competitively don't work through that club, but we've been ****ing with the idea of starting a smash club.

nooooooo
The only good smash at PSU was Dobsgames... but I'm a recent graduate... 2010 PSU BA Journalism

KoRoBeNiKi

Smash Hero
Writing Team
Slippi.gg
KORO#668
What college/university do you go to? William Paterson university

What state is this school in? New Jersey

Enrolled, Sophomore coming on Junior

2012, but it will most likely be 2013 by my major.

A.Specific smash club, no
B. There is an "elite gamers club" which I have not showed up to yet. no clue if they play smash
C. I have played smash at school, but completely casual (you know, items, FFA, etc) vs some people, best person in a normal game was either SuicideFox (Falco user) and a VERY good Yoshi user named Chaco (NOPE, not that one). Other players included a meh Kirby user, a moderate Pit, and a Rob that was good at using items (like a bit below CPU good back at EVO). The group plays ITG more.

It was a casual group, just a normal friend.

Darth Waffles

Smash Lord
Princeton University
[/I]We have an organization called SmashCraft Heroes, which is a general gaming club.

I was the founder and president of this club, but due to academics, I will not be officially involved with the club next year. I also organized the Princeton Intercollegiate Smash Invitational last fall, and I'm hoping that other people will take that example and do more tournaments like that.
Nice, I'll be going there this fall. I was at the second princeton preview and there was a SmashCraft Heroes thing (outside) going on during the club fair. Were you there? I was on the tv closer to the campus center/ the one with people playing competitively if you were

Crizthakidd

Smash Champion
rutgers has a good smash scene i was gonna go but now ima do 2 years at raritan community -_____-

Ownasaurus

Smash Journeyman
Columbia University College of Dental Medicine
University of Rochester

NY
NY

Enrolled
Graduated

Probably on the undergrad campus, but the medical campus does nothing but study.
There was really no official group but we all knew each other by word of mouth. Xiivi would arrange the tournaments through the film interest floor when we hosted them.

AV representative!
Nope

FALPILLARCO

Smash Rookie

UMass Lowell

MA

Enrolled

No

No

tiger10x

Smash Apprentice

Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute

NY

Enrolled

Smash Club

No

dextasmurf

Smash Lord
penn state

pa

Enrolled

NOt just for smash but for every game, they call it "The Gaming club" lol

nope too lazy lol

-Vocal-

Smash Hero
University of Pennsylvania

O_O Two guesses. :) (Right next to Drexel of course)

Currently enrolled; 2010-11 will be my sophmore year.

I plan to graduate in 2013.

No, as far as I know, UPenn does not have any of these. If they did, I already would've been all over it.

Doesn't exist, so I cannot.

borommakot77

Smash Rookie
Allegheny College

pa

Enrolled

Not one just for smash but there is a gaming club called LAG (Legion of Allegheny Gamers)

nope, the serious smashers don't really go to LAG often, the best games are in houses around campus

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom