• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

SWEET XV Results [Ann Arbor, MI] feat. Yu, Trail, & more!

Juggleguy

Smash Grimer
Premium

Spartans/Wolverines
Exhibit Entertaining Tourneys

SWEET XV
Results Thread
March 1st, 2014
Ann Arbor, MI

Original Thread

Results Thread
Videos Archive

Fun tournament everyone! Great turnout, great Melee matches, great PM matches. I want to especially thank everyone who brought equipment to this: we got 17 Melee setups and 4 PM setups to borrow for the day, which was key to running the tournament smoothly. Hope you all had a safe drive home in the snow -- anti-shoutouts to the Ohio State crew for being too weak to drive back in it :p and big shoutouts to the following people for helping contribute to a successful tournament:

Amine (Roki) for bringing his desktop for streaming and figuring out the two-headset commentary setup
Chad (kd) for helping with TOing errands and supporting the stream with some Neighborhood P commentary
Alex (2Shadez) for a lot of help both planning the event and TOing on tourney day, especially in pools production
Dawei (Miracle Fruit) for pretty much the same as above, big thanks for all the help planning and TOing
Josh (SonofaBeach) for organizing a lot of intangible items both pre-tourney and on tourney day
Aaron (Apasher) for helping with a ton of TOing duties, impressed by how far he has come as a TO
Aj (Stif) for the TOing support throughout the day and Starcraft-style commentary in bracket
Jack (Sloppy Joe) for holding it down at the TOing desk when some of us were busy elsewhere
Julian (Solo) for helping with random errands and supporting the stream throughout the day
Matthew (Swanky) for helping TO especially with the PM brackets during wave 1 pools
Jon (C_Naught) for designing the artwork for the tournament and livestream once again
Bobby (Scar) for giving us the opportunity for more exposure through the MIOM Twitch channel
Yu, Trail, 1der, tm, Super Lous, MB-Smash, and others for coming from out-of-state (or in Yu's case, out-of-country!)
Everyone who brought a full setup: your role in helping us run the tournament is very much appreciated

With that said, here are the results below.

Melee Singles (67 entrants)
http://michigansmash.challonge.com/sweetmeleesingles15
SWEET XV Melee Singles Bracket
Rank
Player
Characters
User
1st
Trail
$192.00
2nd
Yu
$96.00
3rd
Kalamazhu
$32.00
4th
KJH
5th
Moose
5th
1der
7th
Juggleguy
7th
Anther
9th
Shibbypod
9th
Soul
9th
Shady
9th
SonuvaBeach
13th
tm
13th
Sky
13th
Rh1thmz
13th
Ginger
17th
Miracle_Fruit
17th
Solo
17th
Blake
17th
Goatcat
17th
Roki
17th
Tran
17th
Artificial Flavor
25th
Zbet
25th
Penny Salem
25th
MB-Smash
25th
THuGz
25th
Super Lous
25th
Fatz
25th
Identity Crisis
-- POOLS CUTOFF --
33: Ouch
33: NJA
33: Turbo
33: DeepCSquid
33: Treetz
33: Bobslob
33: Goonsquad
33: Luigimaster tae
41: Queen Elsa
41: Nutsack
41: Gauthier
41: Stitchface
41: Flying Walrus
41: Shark
41: Apasher
41: Jace
49: Stif
49: AU
49: Scrumpy
49: Rice
49: Sloppy Joe
49: Shnizalwizal
49: Train
49: Rosey
57: JK
57: Deafy
57: Napkin
57: Nuke
57: Top Pomeranian
57: Blaze
57: Pizza
57: Doc T
65: Saxophone of Time
65: Indi

Melee Amateur Bracket (single-elim)
http://michigansmash.challonge.com/sweetambracket15
1: Luigimaster tae
2: Treetz
3: Bobslob
4: Turbo
5: Gauthier
5: NJA
5: Queen Elsa
5: Shark
9: Ouch
9: Rice
9: Stitchface
9: Jace
9: Flying Walrus
9: Goonsquad
9: DeepCSquid
9: Nutsack
17: Bye1
17: Rosey
17: Blaze
17: Bye2
17: Napkin
17: Sloppy Joe
17: Pizza
17: Stif
17: Bye3
17: Shnizalwizal
17: Bye4
17: AU
17: Top Pomeranian
17: Train
17: Saxophone of Time
17: Scrumpy

Melee Doubles (19 teams)
http://michigansmash.challonge.com/sweetmeleedoubles15
1: Shady + Kalamazhu
2: Yu + SonuvaBeach
3: Juggleguy + KJH
4: tm + 1der
5: Ginger + Blake
5: Soul + Solo
7: SuperLous + MB-Smash
7: CAM + Shibbypod
9: Game + Turbo
9: Gauthier + Rice
9: Treetz + Identity Crisis
9: Nutsack + Stitchface
13: Bobslob + Flying Walrus
13: Goatcat + Fatz
13: Train + Shark
13: Queen Elsa + Sloppy Joe
17: Top Pomeranian + Shnizalwizal
17: Chase + Joe
17: GoonSquad + DeepSeaSquid

PM Singles (32 entrants)
http://michigansmash.challonge.com/sweetpmsinglesa15
http://michigansmash.challonge.com/sweetpmsinglesb15
http://michigansmash.challonge.com/sweetpmsingles15
1: Anther
2: Shady
3: Trail
4: Tetraflora
5: Ginger
5: 1der
7: Artificial Flavor
7: Blake
9: Zbet
9: Kalamazhu
9: Identity Crisis
9: Monte
13: Penny Salem
13: THuGz
13: Chase
13: Jorb
17: Jared
17: Kibs
17: Luigimastertae
17: Sorr1
17: D2B
17: Swanky
17: Bird
17: Napkin
25: Top Pomeranian
25: Ace Turner
25: 3P
25: Master Taco
25: Turbo
25: Mako
25: Deafy
25: Shadowmoon

* Tetraflora -- you left the venue before receiving your payout for PM Singles 4th place. Please let me know what your PayPal is, or if you'd like the payout at the next tournament.

Once again I'd like to provide links to some regional Facebook groups nearby, in case any new players are reading this and want to get more involved with their local Midwest Smash community:

Michigan Melee
MSU Smash
West Michigan Smash
NEOH/PA Melee
Chicago-Land Melee

Thanks for attending, everyone! SWEET XVI will most likely take place on March 29th for those interested. As with the nature of the interuniversity series, we'll be at East Lansing, MI for the last installment of this season of SWEET. Hope to see everyone there.

Last edited:

DarkLouis331

Smash Lord
GG's to everyone I played. Sorry for being that guy who cut the power on that power strip when I retrieved my setup. I felt awful leaving the venue.

MB-Smash - About time you went to a tournament after sparring for a year. lmao
tm & 1der - The hope of Toileto.
sonuvabeach - Thanks for the moneymatch and the good advice. At a certain point in some matches, I'm at a loss for what to do. Going back to knowing what basic combos you have on characters is something I should do.
Soul and Solo - Nice comeback and great pool match.
Scrumpy - You seem like a cool guy. Hope to see you at more of these.
Ginger - ****ing Randall... It was a great set nonetheless.
Trail - Good to see you once again.
Shibbypod - Forgot to ask you for a moneymatch. I actually have collected a few more Sacagawea Golden Dollars. Good games in dubs.

Apasher

King Arthur
Premium
NNID
Apasher
First of all, I would like to say that this tournament has been a lot of fun. I think this was the first time in months that I entered a tournament and still enjoyed myself. It was very nice to chill with MI Melee again and meet some new faces. Just want to say that this community is awesome and never fails to impresses me on how you guys make the tournament experience worthwhile.

Secondly, improvements: I feel like in the future, we should do a better job enforcing and advertising the pre-registration and the cap for Project M. From what I've seen, this has only been spoken of in the MI Melee FB group, not even in the FB event page, or even the SB thread. I feel like this wasn't very fair for the people who only showed up for Project M to find out at the registration desk that there was a cap and they needed to pre-register to reserve a spot. (This wasn't THAT much of an issue at this tournament because some people who pre-registered didn't even show up, but I've even heard complaints about this similar issue at SWEET XIII).

Anyways, on to shoutouts:

Trail - GGs in pools. It was nice playing and meeting you. Guess it's time for me to learn the ICs MU lol.

Yu - Didn't get to play you. Hopefully I will if you're in MI sometime in the future.

Kalamazhu - You didn't win. I thought you were good.

KJH - free

Moose - Good to see you and play your Falco again. Thanks for the warmups.

1der - Dude, you played so well at this tournament. Teach me how to not suck with Fox pls.

Juggleguy - 2014: Year of Dropping Falcon. Nah, for real tho, good stuff putting this event together and I'm glad I got to help out. Thanks for the opportunity to get some community
service hours in.

Anther - Yooooo, nice seeing you again. Good to see you entering Melee.
Shibbypod - Nice seeing you again. Wish we got to play.

Soul - GGs in pools. Thanks for the advice. It helped a lot.

Shady - Still ****s me up in Fox dittos ;~; Thanks for the warmups tho.

SonuvaBeach - Nice seeing you again, Josh. Wish we got to play.

tm - Dude, you have improved so much. I am impressed. Wish we got to play.

Rh1thmz - Wanted to play the Falco ;~; At least we got to play.

Ginger - I think I remember seeing you at a Slayerfest. I'll be looking out for your Fox.

Solo - JULIANT!

Roki - GGs in pools. Bopped me game 2.

Artificial Flavor - GGs in pools. You're too good now ;~;

Identity Crisis - Nice seeing you again. Wish we got to play :(

Goonsquad - GGs in pools. Was very close. Keep working on that Fox!

Everyone else in my pool: GGs

Alex, Dawei, A.J., and Sloppy Joe - it was good working with you guys.

Apasher - Finally got my mindset together. Now to actually be decent at the game.

Last edited:

Shibbypod

BIM
Slippi.gg
SHIB#55
Hey guys, this one was one of my favorite tournaments since I have come back to the scene. Since it was so, I did a somewhat longer list of shoutouts.

-Trail: Really nice job taking the tournament! This should make you feel better about the last one, coming back to MI to win it all. Thanks for the friendlies, it had been years since we played and I really needed that matchup practice. Keep it up!
-KJH: You are such a good player that whenever I come anywhere near beating you, it really inspires me to make adjustments to my game to get closer to closing out that win. Although you beat me twice yesterday, we both know how close those sets were! Nice job placing 4th!
-Juggleguy: As usual, you ran a really enjoyable event that suited the needs of new players and the heavily experienced ones. We are lucky to have the legendary Juggleguy as our biggest TO in Michigan.
-Anther: Loving the Pikachu hat, but I really am not loving seeing you switch to Falco. Trust me, there are already enough of those! Good work at the tourney though, sorry we didn't get to play this time!
-Soul: The match I had with you was one of the best sets I have had in tournament that I can remember. You are one of the players that have helped me get as far as I am by giving me pointers and mentioning little things about certain players that end up helping me against them. I realize I was the underdog yesterday but I wanted you to know that you helped me get to this point, so give yourself some credit!
-Shady: Having hardly played with you before but knowing who you were, I am always excited to finally play someone I haven't played before in tournament. I was happy to play those friendlies with you, and the tournament set that we had went even better. Although I lost somewhat swiftly, I look forward to being a better challenge for you one day.
-Sky: The most fun match I had in my pool was definitely the one we had! Keep up the good work with Samus, and go for more flashy stuff like the SWD! So much fun, haha.
-Rh1thmz: Hey man, another crazy bracket set, I am pretty sure that makes at least 3, maybe even 4 consecutive tournaments where have a match in bracket. I've been needing all the Falco practice I can get so I shouldn't complain!
-Ginger: Sorry we skipped the doc ditto this time, I didn't even think of it until I was packing up. If I'm at rootfest we'll do it, and if not we will save it for later. Just please practice so you don't get embarrassed like Dope ;) ahaha just kidding
-Miracle_Fruit: Nice job helping out with the event and making the bracket! This was a really fun event.
-Game: My only Midland smash player who ever goes to anything anymore. It would be nice if we could still get Acro to come out, but oh well. Nice job placing 17th after you thought you didn't even make it out of pools. Also, keep showing these scrubs that Mr. Game and Watch is better than most of their dumb Foxs
-Blake: Thanks for wrecking me in teams. I guess I should have switched to DK for game 2?
-Goatcat: I am glad we are actually meeting in tournament now, unlike the first 4 months I was back on the scene. I am always happy to play against the scenes up and comers. Our games keep getting closer!
-Tran: We had a good bracket set and some good smash talk yesterday, it is always fun to do that kind of stuff. It was awesome to see you giving CAM so many friendlies and to get him a lot more experience. I'm looking forward to coming to Holland to play again soon.
-CAM: Not a lot to say to the man who's my only current "Smash Student", but just to let everyone know who actually reads this, I have tried to teach many people this game, mostly with no success. This guys different because he listens, learns fast, practices on his own time, watches videos and actually WANTS to get better. All I am saying is to look out for this guy down the road.
-MB-Smash: I think I had hear of you before, but this was he first time we played. You and Louis took us badly in teams, after you said you were not good at the game. Shoot :(
-Super Louis: Didn't have time for our traditional MM, we'll have to make up for it next time!
-Fatz: Hey that puff is starting to get sexier and sexier. A couple of those multiple bair off the edge-combos, and a lot of really good spacing has made you a lot better recently. Puff can be such a frustrating opponent as we all know.
-LuigiMasterTae: I was going to come on here and hassle you for not making the bracket, but I will give you a free pass since you got 1st in the Am bracket. Nicely done, technically that counts as a tournament win for Low Tier.
-Stitchface: Nice to play you in that MM after talking for a while! I am always a little nervous about the peach match because I rarely play against peach, so any time at future tourneys you are able to get some friendlies in with me, please do!
-Stif: So after commentating PM with you for a while, I decided that I should not commentate PM. Most of my time is spent commenting on how "His d-air is so good in this game" or asking "What was that, a bair?" Basically, it was fun talking to the stream with you, but we should keep that more to the PM players next time I guess!
-AU: Good set with me in pools yesterday! I know that we have not played much but maybe we'll get more chances in the future.
-SloppyJoe: Like I was saying earlier in the shootouts, I would like to get to West MI to play with you guys again pretty soon!
-Deafy: Hey man, so glad to see new faces coming out to events like this even 13 years after the release of Melee. I know you don't have a lot of experience in the game, but if you stick around and give the hardcore gaming lifestyle a shot, you'll find a really awesome and really accepting community of guys (yes mostly guys). I'll probably call you Jack in the future, I don't know, for whatever reason I just kind of struggle with calling a deaf man by the name "Deafy". Hope to see you at future events!
-Saxaphone: Good friendlies, and thanks for helping me give trail all that Doc practice! Oh btw, I think you did more Up B Cancels than I did yesterday. EDIT:: Also, I am glad you like the Bowser Dash! For anyone who doesn't know what the Bowser Dash is, just do Bowser's sticky walk. That is it. Since I have never seen anyone else do it, or even ever really use Bowser, I thought I would give the move that nickname.

Last edited:

Anther

Smash Champion
Awesome tournament Juggles!
I loved the projector setup and how smoothly everything was run.

It was nice meeting all of the new people that I got to meet throughout the day and it's so cool to see the community thriving!

shnizalwizal

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
2681-9046-0901
Thank you, Kalamazhu for the advice, playing you in pools and watching your play against Yu sorta inspired me to take smash more seriously, and learn and practice Peach more.

Last edited:

SacaSuMoto

Smash Journeyman
It's great to see Yu doing so well. Now if only he was in the EC or WC. Anyone know why he has been in the U.S. ?

Last edited:

Deafy

Aspiring Deaf Semi-Pro Smasher
-Shibby: Hey man, so glad to see new faces coming out to events like this even 13 years after the release of Melee. I know you don't have a lot of experience in the game, but if you stick around and give the hardcore gaming lifestyle a shot, you'll find a really awesome and really accepting community of guys (yes mostly guys). I'll probably call you Jack in the future, I don't know, for whatever reason I just kind of struggle with calling a deaf man by the name "Deafy". Hope to see you at future events!
Hey guys, this one was one of my favorite tournaments since I have come back to the scene. Since it was so, I did a somewhat longer list of shoutouts.

-Trail: Really nice job taking the tournament! This should make you feel better about the last one, coming back to MI to win it all. Thanks for the friendlies, it had been years since we played and I really needed that matchup practice. Keep it up!
-KJH: You are such a good player that whenever I come anywhere near beating you, it really inspires me to make adjustments to my game to get closer to closing out that win. Although you beat me twice yesterday, we both know how close those sets were! Nice job placing 4th!
-Juggleguy: As usual, you ran a really enjoyable event that suited the needs of new players and the heavily experienced ones. We are lucky to have the legendary Juggleguy as our biggest TO in Michigan.
-Anther: Loving the Pikachu hat, but I really am not loving seeing you switch to Falco. Trust me, there are already enough of those! Good work at the tourney though, sorry we didn't get to play this time!
-Soul: The match I had with you was one of the best sets I have had in tournament that I can remember. You are one of the players that have helped me get as far as I am by giving me pointers and mentioning little things about certain players that end up helping me against them. I realize I was the underdog yesterday but I wanted you to know that you helped me get to this point, so give yourself some credit!
-Shady: Having hardly played with you before but knowing who you were, I am always excited to finally play someone I haven't played before in tournament. I was happy to play those friendlies with you, and the tournament set that we had went even better. Although I lost somewhat swiftly, I look forward to being a better challenge for you one day.
-Sky: The most fun match I had in my pool was definitely the one we had! Keep up the good work with Samus, and go for more flashy stuff like the SWD! So much fun, haha.
-Rh1thmz: Hey man, another crazy bracket set, I am pretty sure that makes at least 3, maybe even 4 consecutive tournaments where have a match in bracket. I've been needing all the Falco practice I can get so I shouldn't complain!
-Ginger: Sorry we skipped the doc ditto this time, I didn't even think of it until I was packing up. If I'm at rootfest we'll do it, and if not we will save it for later. Just please practice so you don't get embarrassed like Dope ;) ahaha just kidding
-Miracle_Fruit: Nice job helping out with the event and making the bracket! This was a really fun event.
-Game: My only Midland smash player who ever goes to anything anymore. It would be nice if we could still get Acro to come out, but oh well. Nice job placing 17th after you thought you didn't even make it out of pools. Also, keep showing these scrubs that Mr. Game and Watch is better than most of their dumb Foxs
-Blake: Thanks for wrecking me in teams. I guess I should have switched to DK for game 2?
-Goatcat: I am glad we are actually meeting in tournament now, unlike the first 4 months I was back on the scene. I am always happy to play against the scenes up and comers. Our games keep getting closer!
-Tran: We had a good bracket set and some good smash talk yesterday, it is always fun to do that kind of stuff. It was awesome to see you giving CAM so many friendlies and to get him a lot more experience. I'm looking forward to coming to Holland to play again soon.
-CAM: Not a lot to say to the man who's my only current "Smash Student", but just to let everyone know who actually reads this, I have tried to teach many people this game, mostly with no success. This guys different because he listens, learns fast, practices on his own time, watches videos and actually WANTS to get better. All I am saying is to look out for this guy down the road.
-MB-Smash: I think I had hear of you before, but this was he first time we played. You and Louis took us badly in teams, after you said you were not good at the game. Shoot :(
-Super Louis: Didn't have time for our traditional MM, we'll have to make up for it next time!
-Fatz: Hey that puff is starting to get sexier and sexier. A couple of those multiple bair off the edge-combos, and a lot of really good spacing has made you a lot better recently. Puff can be such a frustrating opponent as we all know.
-LuigiMasterTae: I was going to come on here and hassle you for not making the bracket, but I will give you a free pass since you got 1st in the Am bracket. Nicely done, technically that counts as a tournament win for Low Tier.
-Stitchface: Nice to play you in that MM after talking for a while! I am always a little nervous about the peach match because I rarely play against peach, so any time at future tourneys you are able to get some friendlies in with me, please do!
-Stif: So after commentating PM with you for a while, I decided that I should not commentate PM. Most of my time is spent commenting on how "His d-air is so good in this game" or asking "What was that, a bair?" Basically, it was fun talking to the stream with you, but we should keep that more to the PM players next time I guess!
-AU: Good set with me in pools yesterday! I know that we have not played much but maybe we'll get more chances in the future.
-SloppyJoe: Like I was saying earlier in the shootouts, I would like to get to West MI to play with you guys again pretty soon!
-Deafy: Hey man, so glad to see new faces coming out to events like this even 13 years after the release of Melee. I know you don't have a lot of experience in the game, but if you stick around and give the hardcore gaming lifestyle a shot, you'll find a really awesome and really accepting community of guys (yes mostly guys). I'll probably call you Jack in the future, I don't know, for whatever reason I just kind of struggle with calling a deaf man by the name "Deafy". Hope to see you at future events!
-Saxaphone: Good friendlies, and thanks for helping me give trail all that Doc practice! Oh btw, I think you did more Up B Cancels than I did yesterday. EDIT:: Also, I am glad you like the Bowser Dash! For anyone who doesn't know what the Bowser Dash is, just do Bowser's sticky walk. That is it. Since I have never seen anyone else do it, or even ever really use Bowser, I thought I would give the move that nickname.
Shibby; I'm glad we got a chance to introduce each other and that was a fun game in Pool Play and I'm a hardcore gamer I'm a Halo kid. Jack's fine with me but most people call me Deafy because it's easier for me to response to your verbal voice if you're trying to get a hold of my attention. I can't wait to improve and start going to events and have fun! This is my passion this is what I thrive on and I love the competitive gaming lifestyle!

Stif

Smash Apprentice
Really late shout outs:
Obligatory Juggleguy shout out for being the best TO in Michigan. Also fun set in pools, marth falcon is so much fun.
Miracle_Fruit for casting with me. You have some damn good game knowledge man, we should cast top 8 at sweet 16.
Goonsquad for casting top 4 of PM with me, I feel like we did a damn good job even though neither of us know **** about PM. Also hype set with roki.
Trail for defending America.
Shibby for casting with me (for what like 2 games?) and for turning in another good performance on your way to making PR and more importantly making my prediction come true.
Rh1thmz for whining about teams not being red blue locked
Game for a being the first set ive ever won at a sweet, and making me look good by getting 17th
DeepCSquid for nearly getting out of pools, just keep working on Fox v Puff
Nutsack for having a great tag
Queen Elsa for not having a great tag

Really fun tourney guys, im excited to see all of you again at sweet 16 (if anyone needs housing my futon is free)

Top Bottom