• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

SWEET XIII Results [1/11/14 - Ann Arbor, MI] feat. Mango, Abate, Duck, Dart, VaNz, & more!

Juggleguy

Smash Grimer
Premium

Spartans/Wolverines
Exhibit Entertaining Tourneys

SWEET XIII
Results Thread
January 11th, 2014
Ann Arbor, MI

Original Thread
Results Thread
Videos Archive

Awesome tournament! I'm really humbled by the incredible turnout we got this past weekend. There were a whopping 101 Melee Singles entrants, 32 Melee Doubles teams, 32 PM Singles entrants, and 130+ people in attendance overall, which easily doubles the previous high for a SWEET event turnout. The Michigan scene continues to impress, and obviously thanks to a lot of out-of-state attendees as well for making the trip to Ann Arbor.

I have a lot of shoutouts to give for those who helped make this tournament happen. We started about an hour late at 1pm, but still managed to finish right at 11pm as the venue closed. Many of the people below deserve a huge thanks and recognition for that.

Amine (Roki) for dedicating a ton of time and effort into producing a top-notch livestream for this event
Chris (CTL) for much-needed help setting up the venue, stream TOing, and running the whole PM bracket
Eric (401k) for some really clutch assistance with registration and miscellaneous venue-related tasks
Brian (BLiu) for manning the stream setup at times and helping with a bunch of random TOing errands
Chad (kd) for helping troubleshoot stream tech stuff and taking care of the stream TV at the end
Richard (BloodyJoker) for a lot of TOing help throughout, especially during registration and pools
Nick (Carroll) for holding down the stream commentary and helping the teams bracket run smoothly
Dawei (Miracle Fruit) for taking on his first assistant TOing role at a giant event such as this
Alex (2Shadez) for help TOing, especially enforcing the tedious excel-to-challonge pools constraints
Aaron (Shibbypod) for bringing multiple setups and helping with random tasks without being asked
Jon (C_Naught) for designing some fantastic original artwork for the tournament and livestream
Andre (Dre) for bringing the much-needed second computer monitor for our TOing purposes
Arian (TheCrimsonBlur) for teaching me how to use challonge effectively for this tourney
Bobby (Scar) for giving us the opportunity for more exposure through the MIOM Twitch channel
Mango, Abate, Taki, TheLake, Carroll, VaNz, Dart, Andale, Hindawg, X, Stro, Mach, Gunpunch, Kanye Rest, CaveDweller, Vidjo, Dempt, and many more out-of-state players for attending; your support is very much appreciated

With that said, here are the results below.

Melee Singles (101 entrants)
http://michigansmash.challonge.com/sweetmeleesingles13/
SWEET XIII Melee Singles Bracket
Rank
Player
Characters
User
1st
Mango
2nd
Abate
3rd
Duck
4th
Andale
5th
Dart
5th
Moose
7th
KJH
7th
Juggleguy
9th
Kalamazhu
9th
X
9th
Taki
9th
Oro?! is free
13th
TheLake
13th
Hellsing
13th
Dempt
13th
VaNz
17th
Montross
17th
CaveDweller
17th
1der
17th
Soul
17th
Ginger
17th
Lain
17th
PGH Carroll
17th
Stro
25th
Shibbypod
25th
Bowyer
25th
Machiavelli
25th
Gunpunch
25th
General Heinz
25th
Captain Cleveland
25th
Dre
25th
Miracle Fruit

-- POOLS CUTOFF --
33: Anther
33: 2Shadez
33: BBQ
33: The D
33: FedExGanon
33: tm
33: BloodyJoker
33: Blake
33: BLiu
33: zbet
33: Rasto
33: Artificial Flavor
33: luigimastertae
33: Garzal
33: NJA
33: Solo
49: Kinglit
49: Deep C Squid
49: Bobslob
49: TMS
49: D++
49: 401k
49: roki
49: Omarion
49: GoatCat
49: Purge
49: Cutted
49: Skraaaa
49: Jimbo Slice
49: hewhosmites
49: Karp
49: Kanye Rest
65: Treets
65: Maitland
65: Identity Crisis
65: Muffintop
65: Nutsack
65: Bert East
65: FlyingWalrus
65: Amalgan
65: Tran
65: The Beautiful Beast
65: Lab
65: Sharkington
65: Train
65: JokeCity
65: Team Fsmash 2013
65: Goonsquad
81: Swanky
81: Ron Diesel
81: A Tree
81: Air Jordan
81: Floxian
81: Watayan
81: Haunter
81: Rpeezy
81: Stif
81: 100%
81: Jackowitz
81: Gunt
81: Pinetop
81: Cook
81: ButtZone
81: Bert East
97: 3Chairz
97: +C
97: Jorb
97: SupaDragonYoshi
97: Calvin

Melee Doubles (32 teams)
http://michigansmash.challonge.com/sweetmeleedoubles13/
1: MIOM | Mango + Carroll ($180)
2: Dart + Andale ($90)
3: Abate + TheLake ($50)
4: Moose + Duck
5: MIOM | Juggleguy + KJH
5: Taki + Machiavelli
7: Gunpunch + VaNz
7: Stro + CaveDweller
9: FedExGanon + Captain Cleveland
9: tm + 1der
9: Butch G + A Tree
9: Kalamazhu + Kinglit
13: Bowyer + Lain
13: CTL + Anther
13: Hellsing + Soul
13: Purge + Bert East
17: General Heinz + Shibbypod
17: BloodyJoker + Calvin
17: Kanye Rest + The D
17: TMS + Buttzone
17: Artificial Flavor + luigimastertae
17: BBQ + Ginger
17: Rosey + Scrumpy
17: GoatCat + Fatz
25: Tran + 100%
25: Skraaaa + D++
25: yesimtaco + Floxian
25: Nutsack + Sharkington
25: Shnizalwizal + Flobot
25: bobslob + FlyingWalrus
25: Jorb + Gunt
25: Amalgan + Stif

PM Singles (32 entrants)
http://michigansmash.challonge.com/sweetpmsinglesa13
http://michigansmash.challonge.com/sweetpmsinglesb13
http://michigansmash.challonge.com/sweetpmsingles13
1: MIOM | Mango ($160)
2: Vidjo ($80)
3: VaNz ($48)
4: Dart ($32)
5: Duck
5: 1der
7: Lain
7: Anther
9: Oro?! is free
9: Kinglit
9: SupaDragonYoshi
9: Soul
13: Bowyer
13: Dre
13: Purge
13: Goonsquad
17: NJA
17: fzk
17: luigimastertae
17: BertEast
17: Garzal
17: Artificial Flavor
17: Kanye Rest
17: 100%
25: ButtZone
25: Tran
25: Skraaaa
25: yesimtaco
25: Monte
25: LimeyLemon
25: Stif
25: Tom Pomeranian

I'd also like to provide links to some regional Facebook groups nearby, in case any new players are reading this and want to get more involved with their local Midwest Smash community:

Michigan Melee Facebook group
West Michigan Smash Facebook group
NEOH/PA Melee Facebook group
Chicago-Land Melee Facebook group

Thanks for attending, everyone! SWEET XIV will most likely take place on February 8th for those interested. As with the nature of the interuniversity series, we'll be at East Lansing, MI for this next installment. Hope to see everyone again soon.

Last edited:

Scrumpy

Smash Rookie
Are the individual matches going to be uploaded onto YouTube? If so, where? I need to see that DK 4-stock again. **** was hype.

Last edited:

DarkLouis331

Smash Lord
Super Lous's Shoutouts:

It sucks that I couldn't stay for the actual tournament. I was actually feeling it when I got warmed up.

FedExGanon: It was great to see you again after so long. Sorry we had to cut it off short. Definitely down for a Mansfieldfest sometime in the future

Shibbypod: When you have momentum, it's a scary thing. At points in the match, I had no idea what I should've done. Keep doing those up-b cancels.
I hardly see any Docs implement it. I look forward to you getting that dollar back and teaming at an Ohio/Michigan tourney if we get the chance.

Dempt: Close set, but I still can't close matches out. lmao I'll be coming to get one of my 2 dollars back next time.

Lain and Anther: Good to see both of you again, even if it was for just a few minutes.

Hellsing: Thanks for all your insightful knowledge about the Marth v Fox matchup again and the matchup experience.

Captain Cleveland: Good stuff making it out of pools along with 1der! Hope you don't become a recluse because of classes again this semester. :(

Luigimaster: Good talking to you pre-tourney. If I ever get a Wii of my own, I'll add you on P:M.

I know I'm missing some people, and I'm sorry.

Last edited:

Shibbypod

BIM
Slippi.gg
SHIB#55
So, we used to do this. I am not sure if we still do or not, but if not, I am bringing it back. I did it now because I don't want to do it during the week while I am busy working. These are my tournament shoutouts!

---

The Lake: Probably the coolest guy that plays smash that I had not met unitl tourney day. Awesome set on stream http://www.twitch.tv/meleeitonme/b/494504158 (1:06:30 mark) and we share the name Aaron. Awesome games and thanks for helping carry my TVs to my car!

Vidjo: Another face from my era! I couldn't even believe that you were there. Good to see you and talk about old times, like 4 stocking Mike 20 times in a row.

Blake: I found that video of you getting 4 stocked by DK. it is here http://www.twitch.tv/meleeitonme/b/494504158 (47:35 mark) Good friendlies and sorry you didn't make it out of pools. If you were in my pool you probably would have had it.

401K: Good pools match! Keep it up, do some work with that C. Falcon. I hope you keep playing even without state guys.

General Heinz: I'm feeling salty about that money match, so practice up because I want a rematch at beach house. Good stuff though, your tech chases with those dairs to knee were killin' me.

GoatCat: That was a really fun money match. Even though it was like 3-0, every game came down to the last stock. You are probably MI's most improved player over the last month or two, for real.

Anther: Dude, you still have game! I hope you play more melee, not all melee players are jerks like those guys you were talking about. I know you guys like brawl, but you should came back to the melee scene!

Mango: Thanks for autographing my Melee disc! http://i178.photobucket.com/albums/w260/Shibbypod/Misc Gaming/DBAF12B3-3676-439D-A157-433119C42273.jpg You'll always be the Evo 2013 champ, but you are going to have to work hard to continue your reign! Good stuff winning this tourney though!

Avery (Ginger): You have such a strong tech game. Keep up the good work! Good money match, 2-1 isn't bad, I just caught you with some good guesses on tech reads and stuff like that, but your tech game is definitely further along than my own.

2Shadez: GGs, next time it is $5 ;)

Dark Louis: You got better. Thanks for hustling my dollar! If I ever go to an Ohio tournament in the future, I will hit you up if I need a team mate. Good stuff.

Juggleguy: You do a lot of hard work in the community, and it is really appreciated. Maybe you should take it easy and just PLAY in some tourneys soon? Give one of the young guns an opportunity to run the show and just focus on playing! AMAZING turnout to this event, by the way (101 Melee Singles entrants??)

Captain Cleveland: You know what I was thinking? Since we will likely never get to play each other in a tournament again, we should have done a money match so I can redeem myself for Masonfest last year. Glad you made it out!

Stif: Keep it up out there in west MI, it is so great that MI's smash network is spread out all over the state. We have players in the UP, Middle, SE, West, Lansing and AA. I know you are new to the scene but keep it up, you (and your Project M shirts) have some real potential.

I know I missed some of you. In fact, let me know if want me to add you. Honestly I may have missed you because I don't know your name. So many people worth shouting out to!

shnizalwizal

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
2681-9046-0901
Thanks to everyone who made my first tournament worth the drive, everyone was pretty kind to us new players. I hope to practice and study up to come back much better.

Also shoutouts to that peach player I kept playing dittos against. You were SWEET.

Last edited:

CTL17

Smash Lord
Shoutouts to...
Rob because shoutouts are always fun to read.

Actual shoutouts:
Miracle Fruit for the endless search for the ethernet port

Anther for teaming.
Stro and Cavedweller for cold window johns
Kyle and Ray for being the only set where I played an odd number of games

The guy I Falcon Punched at least ten times in friendlies when Grand Finals were occuring

BWW for being BWW
Pittsburgh at BWW for reciting Spongebob quotes
Abate for apparently not knowing how to DI. o.0

Antishoutouts to dkuo for being in MD right as I leave and deciding to leave Erie so that you weren't at this tournament.

KanyeRest

bair-condtioned nightmare
god, every damn michigan tourney i've been to has been excellent. first off, shoutouts to jugglerob, aka the GOAT TO (sorry carol <3). you always put on the best tourneys in the scene.

mango: thanks for the compliment on our similar shoes, haha. you're a cool guy and too ****in good at this game
abate: the ****in jack of all trades; beautiful, nice as hell, plays the fiercest luigi i've ever seen, i could go on all day.
vanz: always glad to see you dude, and your PM game is crazy. step it up in melee tho! i know you can wreck everyone.
the lake: YOU'RE THE BEST
andale: you're hella cool, and it's always rad to see a sweet puff. go to more tournaments!
X: nice job reppin NEOH, you're a bro!
taki/carroll: dat fox tho (love you guys)
oro?! is free: who are you?? you came out of nowhere and beat my ass, in addition to placing top 12. is that your real tag?
gunpunch: always love seeing tallpunch.
machiavelli: NOT STANDARD AT ALL, you're gettin hella good
stro: smartest man in the melee scene, you're a ****in wizard
tm/1der: why do i always have to play you guys ;_;
dempt: YOU WERE SO HYPE OMG, so good
captain cleveland: best falcon ohio
soul: you're ****in sick, and i didn't even know you!
stif: i see you getting a lot better in the future, keep it up
butt zone/tms/the d: so glad y'all came, we need to go to more tourneys as the crew

special shoutouts to s1 for not being here, the ****in nerd

Last edited:

Stif

Smash Apprentice
Shout outs:
  • To my boy goonsquad for making a losers bracket run in PM
  • Juggleguy for the incredibly consistent TOing
  • Dart for giving me marth tips and slaughtering me on stream http://www.twitch.tv/meleeitonme/b/494532688 1 gour 6 min in
  • Mango for sandbagging so bad that I got to take 2 stocks off him on stream http://www.twitch.tv/meleeitonme/b/494532688 8 min in
  • Shibby for commentating my games on stream (we have to dual cast at the next sweet)
  • Ginger and Hellsing for playing the most hype match of the tourney even though nobody watched it
  • PGH Carroll for bugging mango enough to get him here in time to play our doubles match
  • Amalagran for teaming and not killing me with any ganon fairs in the process
  • 2shadez for actually getting really good, people don't give you the credit you deserve. Probably because you are really cocky but thats besides the point
  • DeepCsquid for going even through he was heavily sleep deprived
It was a really fun tournament and very fun to continue to meet more Michigan smashers. See you guys at the next sweet

Apasher

King Arthur
Premium
NNID
Apasher
Dang, I was NOT aware that the turnout was that huge. Shoutouts to Rob for running another successful tournament.

Hopefully I can go to the next one. I miss chilling with the scene and meeting people.

.Ðempt

Certified Ponch
Definitely can't wait to get my shoutouts in, but I gotta suggest not putting SWEET XIV on the 8th, since Y-Town throwdown is on that date and has been since October.

Unless it can't be helped :/

Gingersnap

Smash Rookie
Ginger's shoutouts!

Abate, Taki, The Lake, Stro, and Machiavelli: Thanks for eating lunch with a couple of us Holland guys, it was definitely cool to meet you and chill for a bit.

Moose: Good **** in pools man! We had a close, fun set, I'd love to play again some time!

Juggleguy: Always looking out for the michigan melee community. Definitely an awesome turn out for such a great tournament. I'm looking forward to future sweets!

Hellsing: That set we had was incredibly close and really fun! I had a great time playing you, and we should definitely play again soon!

Lain: Sorry that you had to play Mango right after me hahah, but it was great to meet you. Most definitely a very hype set.

Captian Cleveland: Good stuff in bracket dude! The life of a falcon is a tough one. Best of luck going forward :)

Shibby: Thanks for that quick money match! I don't know anything about the Doc matchup (as you can probably tell from where we stuck to, hahah) but it's always good to see you at tourneys and coming out to the west MI area. Thanks for the compliment on my tech skill, I've been working hard :)

To everyone that I played/met at Sweet XIII, thanks for making it an enjoyable experience. Michigan is definitely becoming more legit. I had a great time, and I'm looking forward to coming out to more tournaments in the area.

KoRoBeNiKi

Smash Hero
Writing Team
Slippi.gg
KORO#668
Wait,t there is a doc who can up b cancel consistanrly, kind have to see this

phone errorI'll fix laterill

PGH Carroll

Smash Master
S/Os to all the homies. You guys look GOOD.
All the high school kids that dragged their girlfriends to this.
If they could stand being in that room for more than 10 minutes theyre a keeper.

BertEast

Smash Apprentice
First tourney was a blast thanks to all you guys.
Shoutouts to General Heinz and Shibbypod for his awesome Doc.

So when will some matches be uploaded?

Soloist

Smash Ace
To the guy I repeatedly four stocked: Sorry for repeatedly four stocking you in front of your girlfriend. But that's why you have a girlfriend and I don't.

To the kid spewing nonsense about Helen Keller: What are you doing?

To the people in my pool: GGs

To Chad, Amine and Brian: STUREET PAITTA POH!

To Rob: That tournament scene growth. Good work.

Machiavelli

Smash Apprentice
I hear all the cool TOs are offering deodorant at their tourneys for the new age of smash. Next big thing.

Juggleguy

Smash Grimer
Premium
First tourney was a blast thanks to all you guys.
Shoutouts to General Heinz and Shibbypod for his awesome Doc.

So when will some matches be uploaded?
I will do my best to upload some tournament sets next week, after Apex.

Probably not gonna upload anything besides late bracket, unless there are specific requests (ex: Andale's DK vs Blake).

BertEast

Smash Apprentice
I will do my best to upload some tournament sets next week, after Apex.

Probably not gonna upload anything besides late bracket, unless there are specific requests (ex: Andale's DK vs Blake).
If it isn't too much work, I got a request.

Purge + BertEast vs. FedExGanon + Captain Cleveland.
I get ganon stomped into a falcon punch.

fZk

Smash Lord
Kirby, Squirtle, and ZSS

Can someone who watched a lot of sets at this tourney help me with the PM characters? I only know Top 4 off the top of my head.
For the rest of top 8
Duck - fox, samus
1der - Mario
Anther - pikachu
Lain - falco , fox

I whish the tourney hadn't been capped. A lot of people were left out, could have had 50+ easily. People need to bring setups.

Top Bottom