• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Swamp's Social Thread 3 - And now, the end is near, and so I face the final curtain...

Should we add a poll to the thread?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I swear, I've heard people on the internet somewhere say that Turn-Based RPGs are archaic and dead, and that Pokemon was the only one that wouldn't "get with the times." It might have been on a game design article or something, even. IDK.

Those people are stupid.
I understand some finding them boring. That's reasonable. But they're not archaic because they basically still force you to use strategy. Also, tactical rpg's like Fire Emblem are still turn-based. They also are clearly not dead and still popular.

The best thing is to have multiple options, not killing popular gameplay styles.

Another thing is to not take a popular tried-and-true series and completely change the core gameplay for the sake of change. Spin-offs are where you try new core gameplay. SPM got away with it simply because it was actually a legitimately good game(and despite not being turn-based, kept the core gameplay otherwise. It was easy to translate to since PM is still platforming-based. The combo jumps were present in the first PM game alone. It didn't entirely change the core gameplay to the point of it might as well not exist(which pretty much is FF's problem. Unless you grew up with 11 first, you're playing effectively a spin-off of the series since X and X-2, the last Final Fantasy games to have proper design and not be completely different from the actual core game). People still wanted the old system back. Sadly, that didn't happen.

Last edited:

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
>Tried and True approach is "stale" and "dead"
>Developers change away from old formula to "keep up with the times"
>People long for the old formula that was so familiar.

It happens all the time.
There's another reason why I love Nintendo; Games developed by them usually know their past very well.

And then Sticker Star, but whatever.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
So that Lost Raiders game is out, as an open beta.

I'm gonna try it out. If anyone wants to party up in it later, let me know.

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
I swear, I've heard people on the internet somewhere say that Turn-Based RPGs are archaic and dead, and that Pokemon was the only one that wouldn't "get with the times." It might have been on a game design article or something, even. IDK.

Those people are stupid.
I still prefer turn based RPGs as I like taking my time during each turn, not rush through the menu in the time given. I like playing at my own pace.

:231:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I still prefer turn based RPGs as I like taking my time during each turn, not rush through the menu in the time given. I like playing at my own pace.

:231:
The reason I enjoyed the action gauge system is that it rewards strategy too. You need to think faster, but still have to use your head to win. It's a good progression of the gameplay at least because you're doing the same thing, but faster.

Of course it's not for everyone. I like playing something akin to Pokemon too. Or Paper Mario(where you can move or use a button to keep yourself alive, being a good defensive options than just standing there and getting hit).

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
I'm a big fan of turn based games in general.

I've been a Chess fanatic for as long as I've been a gamer, if not longer.

Aetheri

W/E happens don't panic...
Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
It really depends on the game...Pokemon for example works well with its turn based system, as the strategy behind it is mainly based off of your knowledge on the pokemon themselves and how you handle type matchups...games like Final Fantasy or Xenoblade seem better suited for real-time based gameplay...

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
I'm finding Xenoblade to be a good mixture between the two.

I love the fact that positioning sorta matters, but you have to wait for actual abilities.

It's like a 3D Child of Light without the time stops.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I prefer TBRPGs too for the same reasons, I like to take my time and see what's the best way to proceed
But I still enjoy the ATB from FFIV and FFVI, hell, my favorite game of all time is Chrono Trigger and it uses the ATB, but it also gives you the option to turn that off while in the skill or item menus

Erureido

Smash Hero
NNID
Erureido
3DS FC
5301-1552-4121
Switch FC
SW-4754-8756-2004
I read the news about the next Splatfest. Something tells me that Nintendo and Nickelodeon knew about all the Spongebob memes in Splatoon's Miiverse community, so they decided on a future Splatfest theme to reflect that. I can already imagine a good chunk of Miiverse posts will parody the Fry Cook Games episode.

I also watched the new trailer for the Magearna movie. All I have to say is that the movie location gives me a HUGE Attack on Titan vibe. I mean, the city looks almost identical to Trost and Shingashina, and the massive walls surrounding it look exactly like l the ones in the AoT series minus the gears inside. It's making me wonder what real world location is the Magearna movie based off this time. You know, like how Dubai was the basis for the Hoopa movie location or how Vancouver was the inspiration for the Deoxys movie location? Yeah, that's what I'm wondering here.

As for other thoughts, I'm surprised to see that Chymia has a crazy flying device here, and Meowth crying over Magearna? Oh, will Meowth and Magearna gain a close bond during the course of the movie? That could be interesting considering Team Rocket gets a backseat in Pokemon movies these days. The appearance of Zygarde's Complete Form in the trailer also makes me wonder how soon we will see it in the actual anime, a.k.a, when the Team Flare arc really kicks in. I guess it should be sometime in June? We'll see.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
This Lost Reavers game seems interesting. A bit vague on how to do certain things though.

D

Deleted member

On FE news, A Gift from Anna was relased today alongside Ballistician Blitz
AGFA is free and it gives you either the Sighting Lens or the Witch's Mark which promote male units to the Ballistician class and female units to the Witch class, respectively
The question is, who should I make a witch?
Cries because no Witch!Forrest

Wario Bros.

Smash Obsessed
NNID
WarioBrose
3DS FC
0903-2806-9000
Switch FC
SW-8539-3655-2004
SpengeBab in Splatoon? Sure, it's still underwater theme but okay. I should get back to that game eventually.

Mountain Dew vs. Doritos Splatfest when? :upsidedown:

Last edited:

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
I should really get back to playing Birthright at some point

I stopped playing once you got to the second Camilla chapter.... :/

Coricus

Woom-em-my?
Switch FC
SW 4794 7152 2904
Counted up the number of types of items that can be individually selected to spawn in Smash 4 and how many were introduced in each game.

15 from 64,
11 from Melee,
20 from Brawl,
25 from 4.

The total being 71, although granted that's by far the easiest part to determine.

Setting aside whenever you think another version may or may not eventually happen, are there any power ups or items from various games that you guys think would go well in Smash that aren't included yet? It might be kinda fun to create an item roster.

D

Deleted member

Well, it was either her or Elise so

Being hindered by Flame Shuriken's penalties isn't that good
Dumped an Arms Scroll on her, gonna have to grind that Tome rank
Good think Izana and Flora can make for substitute Staff bots in her place
And, damn, I love that outfit

Kirby Dragons

Smash Hero
Counted up the number of types of items that can be individually selected to spawn in Smash 4 and how many were introduced in each game.

15 from 64,
11 from Melee,
20 from Brawl,
25 from 4.

The total being 71, although granted that's by far the easiest part to determine.

Setting aside whenever you think another version may or may not eventually happen, are there any power ups or items from various games that you guys think would go well in Smash that aren't included yet? It might be kinda fun to create an item roster.
Ice Flower when?

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
I don't care if it's turn based or not.

Both are fun.

Coricus

Woom-em-my?
Switch FC
SW 4794 7152 2904
Why the Devil Axe isn't an item yet, I have no idea.

C'mon, who wouldn't want this in Smash?
Isn't there a whole class of Devil weapons?

Heck, you could make Honedge from Pokemon do the same darn thing.

I like it. It's like everyone's own personal Flare Blitz.

Meanwhile I'm sitting here wondering how the Tricky Pitfall could be made to work differently than the Pitfall, since Smash doesn't quite allow for AC:NL's form of differentiation between the two due to the way it works, but it still. . .SOUNDS right as an item idea.

And of course, trying to think of a way that one could wire the Eggplant Bomb so it's not utterly broken, because that thing is hilarious.

Ice Flower when?
I heard someone suggest that a while back. Other than the two things I was contemplating, I had also already commandeered that to my list.

The trick here is going to be to find the appropriate number of things from franchises other than Mario, because even as someone who doesn't typically play Mario I know that's where the power up gold mine for Nintendo is.

Last edited:

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
Isn't there a whole class of Devil items?
Well, the Devil Axe is the one that turns up the most.

The only other one I know of is the Devil Sword, which only turned up in the Akaneia games. Which is actually a little different since its backfire rate is based on skill rather than luck IIRC.

TRS does have a Devil Spear, but that's TRS, so....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom