• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Swamp's Social Thread 3 - And now, the end is near, and so I face the final curtain...

Should we add a poll to the thread?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
We both were being kind of dumb. It's all good. Sorry that I blew that out like I did. I tend to get riled up, step out to cool my head, then realize how much of an *** I was being.

In regards to Lost World, I just feel the reviews and scores of the game speak for themselves. Obviously not ALL of them (Frigging IGN just going "BLEH IT DOESN'T DO IT LIKE GENERATION DOES BLEH" instead of looking it on its own merits.), but regardless. You are absolutely right that I was not specifying my issues enough, and I apologize for that. It's not a basis for a good argument. If you REALLY want to know my actual, not rage induced issues with Lost World, take a look at Somecallmejohnny's review.
If it helps, I feel similarly to Lost World that I did for Unleashed: as a CONCEPT it's great and I like it, but they need to STICK with it and improve upon it rather than always changing genres again, you know? Every time I feel they're finally starting to perfect/improve a style of gameplay, they change it up entirely. Black Knight was a much bigger step for the better for the Storybook games, but nothing came from it. Adventure 2 narrowed down the 3 gameplay styles that worked best in Adventure 1 (even if I feel they messed up Hunting and Shooting), but then we never got 3... or we sorta did with 06, whatever. Colors DS finds an okay balance with the side scrolling Boost formula, and then Gens DS ends up stale and they switch to an even WORSE Lost World for 3ds. Generations gets SO CLOSE, all it needed was to take what they had learned and fixed in Generations and apply it to a brand new non anniversary game, and they make Lost World.

Obviously a lot of that is opinion, but it's just EXTREMELY frustrating to me. It's almost comedic how scared they are to just STICK with something and build it up, even when they had two or three absolutely winning formulas. In trying to please everyone, all they're doing is dividing fans and pleasing barely anyone.

I'm just exhausted. I defended Sonic with my life pre-2011 but right when I feel Sonic picks itself up, the series makes a controversial change, and then another, and suddenly they have another laughing-stock of a game for the series' image (Lyric). I'm not TRYING to be anti Sonic, I'm just trying NOT to be blind to issues I really feel are there, you know? It's like, Mario experiments a lot, but NOT with the main platformers. Instead, they've taken elements that worked in 3d and put them in 2d (triple jump, wall jumps), and vise versa with games like 3D world. That's why Mario has always worked like it has.

Sonic is just so touchy for me. It's like stokhome syndrome. :V I like to think I can be pretty neutral when it comes to other series, but Sonic brings out some stingy werehog in me.
Yeah Lost World's main problem is that it tried too hard to change things up every other level, I entirely agree with that, and while I think some of the reception to certain variations in the gameplay is exaggerated a bit, it doesn't change the fact it is the game's main issue. It's why I don't replay it as much as other Sonic games, because there is just too MUCH variation in the levels. They had a solid foundation with the gameplay, and modders are doing a good job so far of designing levels that are more like Sonic Lost World's good levels, and really taking advantage of parkour. The actual game just doesn't do it enough. Sometimes it even had sections where you would think "OK I am gonna have to use my parkour skills to bounce up between these walls", and then suddenly these hidden yellow springs popped out once you ran up the wall that automatically bounced you up. I wouldn't mind having them there as an optional easy mode (similar to Mellow Mode in Yoshi's Woolly World where Yoshi can just fly), but as a thing that's always there, it feels insulting to my skills, like they don't trust me enough to make the jumps myself.

Another big problem is that it has really poor conveyance. There are tons of moves in the game, and the game does a poor job of explaining them. Even when you find out how the tutorial system works (tapping the question mark on the GamePad when it shows up), a lot of them are poorly written and aren't clear on how to do things. I had to play around with the game to figure out how to lock my Spin Dash speed and a bunch of other things. This stuff is actually explained well enough in the instruction leaflet packaged with the game, but in this day and age, the instructions should be in the game itself, especially with a moveset as intricate and complex as Lost World's.

Part of the reason I do enjoy the game though is because I did manage to figure out the controls and master them, and I feel Sonic is very satisfying to control. And when the levels are designed well with the main gameplay style in mind, the game can REALLY shine. Some of the levels are equally fun to explore for secrets as they are to speedrun, which is how Sonic levels should be, IMO.

My ultimate opinion is that Lost World is a "pretty good but flawed" game. It didn't wow me like Unleashed (which is also flawed but it does so much good for the franchise that I still really enjoy it, and it has so much heart and ambition which helps a lot in my enjoyment of a game), but I enjoyed it, even if it got annoying at times. I don't even mind they changed the core gameplay. I actually think the parkour and overall feel of how Sonic controls is more or less perfectly fine. The problem is just that the game doesn't give the core gameplay enough time to shine because of all the mini-games and 2D levels, and that the controls aren't explained well so most people still don't really know how to play it properly even after putting in hours, and that is entirely the game's fault for not being clear.

For the next game, I think they should focus on this parkour style as much as they can. The overall style of the game is fairly familiar (I find it similar to Adventure - decently built for speed, platforming, and exploration. Unleashed/Colours/Generations was more built for pure high speed action, more than anything else, as fun as it was. Generations did have pretty open levels with a good amount of platforming but Sonic didn't entirely feel built for it), only the parkour was new and I don't think it was too out there as far as new Sonic ideas go, though it could use some tweaking. I think the parkour can stay because I feel it should be to Sonic what flying is to Tails and gliding/wall climbing is to Knuckles. They could design levels around Sonic's parkour that still work well for Tails and Knuckles since they would both still have alternate moves to get them through (Tails being easy mode, Knuckles being a slower, more methodical approach). Add in secret paths that only certain characters can access and I think they'd have a fantastic game on their hands so long as they stick to their guns on the playstyle and clearly explain the controls.

As for the franchise as a whole, it's in a difficult place, but I don't think it's necessarily in a bad one. The games need to shape up, but I have faith the 25th Anniversary game will be good. Everything else about the franchise is doing well though, and I am excited for what the 25th Anniversary has in store beyond the games. The overall image to the general public of Sonic, is a fairly positive one, as a media brand. They just need to please their core audience now, with a fantastic game.

Bedoop

Poyon
NNID
$50.00 / $??.??
3DS FC
0877-1726-4217
Yeah Lost World's main problem is that it tried too hard to change things up every other level, I entirely agree with that, and while I think some of the reception to certain variations in the gameplay is exaggerated a bit, it doesn't change the fact it is the game's main issue. It's why I don't replay it as much as other Sonic games, because there is just too MUCH variation in the levels. They had a solid foundation with the gameplay, and modders are doing a good job so far of designing levels that are more like Sonic Lost World's good levels, and really taking advantage of parkour. The actual game just doesn't do it enough. Sometimes it even had sections where you would think "OK I am gonna have to use my parkour skills to bounce up between these walls", and then suddenly these hidden yellow springs popped out once you ran up the wall that automatically bounced you up. I wouldn't mind having them there as an optional easy mode (similar to Mellow Mode in Yoshi's Woolly World where Yoshi can just fly), but as a thing that's always there, it feels insulting to my skills, like they don't trust me enough to make the jumps myself.

Another big problem is that it has really poor conveyance. There are tons of moves in the game, and the game does a poor job of explaining them. Even when you find out how the tutorial system works (tapping the question mark on the GamePad when it shows up), a lot of them are poorly written and aren't clear on how to do things. I had to play around with the game to figure out how to lock my Spin Dash speed and a bunch of other things. This stuff is actually explained well enough in the instruction leaflet packaged with the game, but in this day and age, the instructions should be in the game itself, especially with a moveset as intricate and complex as Lost World's.

Part of the reason I do enjoy the game though is because I did manage to figure out the controls and master them, and I feel Sonic is very satisfying to control. And when the levels are designed well with the main gameplay style in mind, the game can REALLY shine. Some of the levels are equally fun to explore for secrets as they are to speedrun, which is how Sonic levels should be, IMO.

My ultimate opinion is that Lost World is a "pretty good but flawed" game. It didn't wow me like Unleashed (which is also flawed but it does so much good for the franchise that I still really enjoy it, and it has so much heart and ambition which helps a lot in my enjoyment of a game), but I enjoyed it, even if it got annoying at times. I don't even mind they changed the core gameplay. I actually think the parkour and overall feel of how Sonic controls is more or less perfectly fine. The problem is just that the game doesn't give the core gameplay enough time to shine because of all the mini-games and 2D levels, and that the controls aren't explained well so most people still don't really know how to play it properly even after putting in hours, and that is entirely the game's fault for not being clear.

For the next game, I think they should focus on this parkour style as much as they can. The overall style of the game is fairly familiar (I find it similar to Adventure - decently built for speed, platforming, and exploration. Unleashed/Colours/Generations was more built for pure high speed action, more than anything else, as fun as it was. Generations did have pretty open levels with a good amount of platforming but Sonic didn't entirely feel built for it), only the parkour was new and I don't think it was too out there as far as new Sonic ideas go, though it could use some tweaking. I think the parkour can stay because I feel it should be to Sonic what flying is to Tails and gliding/wall climbing is to Knuckles. They could design levels around Sonic's parkour that still work well for Tails and Knuckles since they would both still have alternate moves to get them through (Tails being easy mode, Knuckles being a slower, more methodical approach). Add in secret paths that only certain characters can access and I think they'd have a fantastic game on their hands so long as they stick to their guns on the playstyle and clearly explain the controls.

As for the franchise as a whole, it's in a difficult place, but I don't think it's necessarily in a bad one. The games need to shape up, but I have faith the 25th Anniversary game will be good. Everything else about the franchise is doing well though, and I am excited for what the 25th Anniversary has in store beyond the games. The overall image to the general public of Sonic, is a fairly positive one, as a media brand. They just need to please their core audience now, with a fantastic game.
Didn't they remove a level entirely from the PC Version of Lost World because of how randomly different it was? :drshrug:

wedl!!

Goddess of Storms
NNID
Plushies4Ever

I forgot this happened.

Also, for a six-character Smash roster: :4mario:, :4bowser: or :4luigi:, :4link:, :4pikachu:, :4dk:, :4kirby:

Wolfie557

Witch-King of the North
3DS FC
3153-4071-1007
Switch FC
SW 3128 8188 4021
I have played probbably all the demos' of Sonic games (like both Booms, Transformers, Lost World) and multiple phone games (Runners, That jumping one, Dash ect) .....

.......and I still never owned a Sonic game. I dunno. Either they just don't appeal to me or are not up to my high standards.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Didn't they remove a level entirely from the PC Version of Lost World because of how randomly different it was? :drshrug:
They removed the circus levels that were intended for Animal farming that were in the Wii U version, because they were entirely controlled by the GamePad. They also reduced the Animal counts for levels to compensate.

I didn't mind these levels myself but I thought the Animal farming shouldn't have been a thing.

Oh and they removed the Nintendo DLC levels for obvious reasons.

They're all still in the game's code though, I wonder if modders can unlock the Nintendo DLC at least. I think utilising elements from them for level mods could be great, especially the Zelda one.

MainJPW

M.T.A

https://twitter.com/smb123w64gb/status/696431409628450816

This reminds me of how much I wished Toon Link had his Outset outfit as an alt (Or the conductor outfit for that matter).

Very awesome job though by the friend of Large_Leader on twitter.
I saw this last night and thought, "why isn't this in the actual game?" It's like Links' Skyloft texture swap but better.

I'm also liking Samus's color swaps, particularly this one.
image.jpg

https://mobile.twitter.com/smb123w64gb/media

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
I saw this last night and thought, "why isn't this in the actual game?" It's like Links' Skyloft texture swap but better.

I'm also liking Samus's color swaps, particularly this one.
View attachment 95850
https://mobile.twitter.com/smb123w64gb/media
They've also started experimenting with normal maps as well which is also very cool.

I'm still trying to get the hang of them though. I've only really used them on certain parts of my models....

Last edited:

Chrono.

Here's a fun game.

Take a franchise you like and make a roster for a fighting game spin off. You can mix franchises too if you want.

Go nuts.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
They've also started experimenting with normal maps as well which is also very cool.

I'm still trying to get the hang of them though. I've only really used them on certain parts of my models....
Do you need any specific programs for modding Smash models like this? I might try my hand at it.

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Do you need any specific programs for modding Smash models like this? I might try my hand at it.
I think any basic 3D modelling and photoshop program will probably do if you want to do texture stuff. Although I'd reckon Maya and Z-brush would probably be the best for that.

I've done a few texture edits myself for Toon Link. Although I'm struggling a bit with the use of Normal maps though and Super Smash Bros for Wii U is filled with them. I think I should probably watch an online tutorial on that...

Last edited:
I really hope when Smash 5 speculation rolls around we some of the terrible people move out.

I know it's a pipe dream but some people are just so terrible for this fanbase. . .
Here's a fun game.

Take a franchise you like and make a roster for a fighting game spin off. You can mix franchises too if you want.

Go nuts.
1. Pit
2. Palutena
3. Dark Pit
4. Viridi
5. Hades
6. Medusa
7. Phosphora
8. Magnus
9. Gaol
10. Arlon
11. Chaos Kin
12. Pandora
13. Amazon Pandora
14. Eggplant Wizard
15. Thanatos
Samus
16. Pyrrhos

perfect square and nice and easy even

And maybe Dyntos as a secret character

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
Here's a fun game.

Go nuts.
TF2:
All classes
Merasmus
Pauling
Horseless Headless Horsemann
Saxton Hale

SegaNintendoUbisoft

The Amateur Artist
NNID
S.N.U0203
3DS FC
4725-8740-7336
Here's a fun game.

Go nuts.
Shantae
Rottytops
Sky
Bolo
Risky Boots
Ammo Baron
Squid Baron
Pirate Master
Uncle Mimic
Branson
Guest Character: Patricia Wagon

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
I think any basic 3D modelling and photoshop program will probably do if you want to do texture stuff. Although I'd reckon Maya and Z-brush would probably be the best for that.

I've done a few texture edits myself for Toon Link. Although I'm struggling a bit with the use of Normal maps though and Smash Bros for Wii U is filled with them. I think I should probably watch an online tutorial on that...
I did some work with normal maps in college. I'm a bit rusty but I'm sure I can get back into it. If you still need help by then I can do that.

Are you guys using the models from Models Resource? The key thing I notice there is that the characters seem to have multiple faces when I open them up in Blender. I assume this is how the facial animation works on the in-game models (switching face models for different expressions), so this means I would have to apply textures to each face, right? Are there any other complications that arise from the multiple faces?

Last edited:

Coricus

Woom-em-my?
Switch FC
SW 4794 7152 2904
You know, one thing that I'm sure is going to be brushed off but eh.

The Ballot said the results might also be used for future Smash games.

Hmm. . .wonder why they would be so quick to say that. . .

They at the very least are planning to have more games with new characters past 4.

Perhaps they might have already had a title in mind, though. . .?

Burruni

Smash Hero
Here's a fun game.

Go nuts.
Burruni's Biased FF:Dissidia roster.
FF1: Warrior of Light, Garland, Chaos
FF2: Firion, The Emperor
FF3: Luneth (Onion Knight), Cloud of Chaos
FF4: D.Cecil, P.Cecil, Kain, Rydia, Golbez.
FF5: Bartz, Faris, GILGAMESH, ExDeath
FF6: Terra, Celes, Sabin, Kefka
FF7: Cloud, Tifa, Cait Sith, Yuffie, Sepiroth
FF8: Squall, Quistis, Rinoa, Seifer, Ultimecia
FF9: Zidane, Vivi, Beatrix, Kuja
FFX: Tidus, Yuna, Auron, Jecht
FF11: Shantoto
FF12: Vaan, Fran, Gabranth
FF13: Lightning
FF14: Y'shtola
FF15: Noctis
FFT: Ramza
Misc: Chocobo

Last edited:

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
Burruni's Biased FF:Dissidia roster.
FF1: Warrior of Light, Garland, Chaos
FF2: Firion, The Emperor
FF3: Luneth (Onion Knight), Cloud of Chaos
FF4: D.Cecil, P.Cecil, Kain, Rydia, Golbez.
FF5: Bartz, Faris, GILGAMESH, ExDeath
FF6: Terra, Celes, Sabin, Kefka
FF7: Cloud, Tifa, Cait Sith, Yuffie, Sepiroth
FF8: Squall, Quiztis, Rinoa, Seifer, Ultimecia
FF9: Zidane, Vivi, Beatrix, Kuja
FFX: Tidus, Yuna, Auron, Jecht
FF11: Shantoto
FF12: Vaan, Fran, Gabranth
FF13: Lightning
FF14: Y'shtola
FF15: Noctis
FFT: Ramza
Misc: Chocobo
Where's Black Mage? :smirk:

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
I did some work with normal maps in college. I'm a bit rusty but I'm sure I can get back into it. If you still need help by then I can do that.

Are you guys using the models from Models Resource? The key thing I notice there is that the characters seem to have multiple faces when I open them up in Blender. I assume this is how the facial animation works on the in-game models (switching face models for different expressions), so this means I would have to apply textures to each face, right? Are there any other complications that arise from the multiple faces?
Well I'm fine for the most part when it comes to normal maps, it usually takes me to just use the baking tool in order to get them the way I want them most of the time with perhaps some small tweaks here and there. Although when it comes to things like ears that require a bit more detail, I kinda hit a dead end most of the time. Like I've finished off two character models now, though the only thing left for me to do is to get their ears to look right through normal mapping.... ^^;

And yes, that seems to be how they are designed, by looking at some of the moveset swapping hacks @smb123w64gb did that seems to be the case as well. So yes, you probably will have to do that as some expressions have different texture files assigned and all.

Last edited:

MainJPW

M.T.A
Here's a fun game.

Go nuts.
Brace yourself.

Sonic The Fighters 2 roster:
  1. Sonic
  2. Tails
  3. Knuckles
  4. Amy
  5. Cream & Cheese
  6. Big
  7. Blaze
  8. Marine
  9. Silver
  10. Vector
  11. Espio
  12. Charmy
  13. Eggman
  14. Shadow
  15. Rouge
  16. E-123 Omega
  17. Chaos Gamma
  18. Chaos 0
  19. Tikal
  20. Gemerl (Emerl)
  21. Fang/Nack
  22. Mighty
  23. Ray
  24. Bark
  25. Bean
  26. Honey
  27. Babylon Rogues
SEGA buddies:
NiGHTS
Ristar
Billy Hatcher

Last edited:

Fenriraga

You have the strength to overcome your destiny!
Writing Team
NNID
DarkAura

Parkour is the "really great idea" I was talking about. It was a damn good idea for sure, being able to have Sonic be acrobatic akin to stuff like the Sonic CD opening. Keeping the pace going in all of that. And the parkour works pretty okay, but a tad picky... In 3D only. I cannot stand It in 2D, because in any game with a run button, I'm always holding that button down (Especially Lost World, since 2D Sonic is practically slower than Mario in some cases). Good example would be the crushers in Frozen Factory. It's all about timing, of course, so I wait for my chance, and slam on the run button to get past it as quickly as I can. There's an ice block right next to it, but no biggie, I know I can jump over it.
Instead, I parkour on the block when I try to jump, stalling Sonic to the point where the Crusher came back down and earned it's namesake. That's just not good level design. I need to go fast enough to get under the Crusher, but by going fast, I force myself into parkour when I didn't want to do it, and bit the dust. Lost World 2D is bar none my least favorite instance of 2D Sonic, for that and reasons like it. And God don't get me started on act 4 of the Sky Zone.

And for a game so dead set on doing cool parkour tricks, it REALLY likes to lock your controls with boosters and springs. Windy Hill Act 4 is a good example: There's a great big inward cylinder at the start of the level, with some rings at the top and some sheep spread out along it. Naturally, I want to run up there and curl around. But no, I hit a speed booster, and despite me being several yards away from the next Booster, Sonic just keeps on running straight through with no way of stopping, then goes off a spring not letting me go back. Why make it a perfect cylinder if you're only going to let me go through it one of two ways?

And then the 2D part. There's SO many places I feel I could try out a cool move and save some time, or at least be flashy. There's a pair of walls that lead to an upper path. Okay, I'll just parkour up and wall jump to the other wall, make my way up. But instead, when I touch the wall, an invisible spring comes up and bounces me up, taking away my control and doing all the work for me instead of letting me try something myself and be rewarded for doing so. There are a LOT of instances like that in Lost World, and it just takes away 90% of the satisfaction the parkour would give me.

But that's my two cents on parkour. Oh hey, look, I actually made a detailed counterpoint instead of just going "NO YOU"! Good job, me. :V

Last edited:

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Parkour is the "really great idea" I was talking about. It was a damn good idea for sure, being able to have Sonic be acrobatic akin to stuff like the Sonic CD opening. Keeping the pace going in all of that. And the parkour works pretty okay, but a tad picky... In 3D only. I cannot stand It in 2D, because in any game with a run button, I'm always holding that button down (Especially Lost World, since 2D Sonic is practically slower than Mario in some cases). Good example would be the crushers in Frozen Factory. It's all about timing, of course, so I wait for my chance, and slam on the run button to get past it as quickly as I can. There's an ice block right next to it, but no biggie, I know I can jump over it.
Instead, I parkour on the block when I try to jump, stalling Sonic to the point where the Crusher came back down and earned it's namesake. That's just not good level design. I need to go fast enough to get under the Crusher, but by going fast, I force myself into parkour when I didn't want to do it, and bit the dust. Lost World 2D is bar none my least favorite instance of 2D Sonic, for that and reasons like it.

And for a game so dead set on doing cool parkour tricks, it REALLY likes to lock your controls with boosters and springs. Windy Hill Act 4 is a good example: There's a great big inward cylinder at the start of the level, with some rings at the top and some sheep spread out along it. Naturally, I want to run up there and curl around. But no, I hit a speed booster, and despite me being several yards away from the next Booster, Sonic just keeps on running straight through with no way of stopping, then goes off a spring not letting me go back. Why make it a perfect cylinder if you're only going to let me go through it one of two ways?

And then the 2D part. There's SO many places I feel I could try out a cool move and save some time, or at least be flashy. There's a pair of walls that lead to an upper path. Okay, I'll just parkour up and wall jump to the other wall, make my way up. But instead, when I touch the wall, an invisible spring comes up and bounces me up, taking away my control and doing all the work for me instead of letting me try something myself and be rewarded for doing so. There are a LOT of instances like that in Lost World, and it just takes away 90% of the satisfaction the parkour would give me.

But that's my two cents on parkour. Oh hey, look, I actually made a detailed counterpoint instead of just going "NO YOU"! Good job, me. :V
Yeah I pretty much agree with that. Like I said, there's a lot of sections where the game just gives you random, hidden springs and stuff where you think you should parkour. I didn't like that. It should have been some kind of easy mode option, not the inherent design of the levels.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom