• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Swallowcide- What you should already know

Azelf

Smash Cadet
sorry i'm really confused...landing kirbycides on the stage? i just can't see how you could possibly get off the ledge before they break out.

I assume that break out time is based on damage like with throws..

but even so...i can't picture you taking more than two steps if the opponent goes ballistic with the button mashing...
My brother's Kirby strategy is to wait on the edge of the platform and just keep sucking until I misstep and get caught. Then, he jumps off. Normally, I can escape before he reaches the bottom, but if I don't have a decent recovery character like Falco, Fox, or Mewtwo I have a hard time getting anywhere near the ledge again. He, on the other hand, can float back up in most stages quite easily.

knightpraetor

Smash Champion
ya ok you mean at the edge...i was just wondering cause i for one can never land a kirbycide more than a few steps from the edge.

Wave⁂

Smash Legend
Good job.

Kirby + Swallowcide >>>>>>>>(no, seriously)>>>>>>> n00b Marth + fsmash

t!MmY

Smash Hero
NNID
t1mmy_smash
Edit:
My post was about a Kirbycide, when this topic is about Swallowcides specifically. Sorry. I guess I'll post it in a more appropriate thread.

nitro-blazer

Smash Lord
but even so...i can't picture you taking more than two steps if the opponent goes ballistic with the button mashing...
What I've seen many Kirby players do is the little hop, jump thingy when they are in your mouth.. This only works if you're near the edge, but still, if you're facing towards the center of the stage, and hop backwards, when they struggle out, they may end up falling past the ledge. They won't grab it because they face away from the edge. While they can often recover, you get the chance to attempt an edgeguard. If they aren't too smart, they may accidentally fastfall themselves as well.

Also, I have swallowcided Doc on FD, and lived. It is on youtube, however the match is, essentially, one of my very first and is an absolute eyesore. For my sake, please don't watch it until you ABSOLUTELY don't believe me, but yeah.

cllzzrd

Smash Apprentice
I do not know if this has been said before, but with the characters that SD at the same time as kirby, you can swallow them as you fall off the edge facing the stage, and if you are on a floating level (FD, Yoshi's, ect) you can shoot them out under the stage as you fall.

Hyper Kirby

Smash Rookie
Hi, i am new to the forum obviously, and as you might already know, i love kirby. My friends think he is gay and stuff like that, i wanna prove them wrong, i wanna learn how to do the Swallowcide.

Can anyone either give me a vid of them doing it or a very simplton way to learn it cause what was said on the first post was kinda technical. If anyone could tell me when i should press buttons.

Thanks in advance, i know i will like it here.

Eyce

Smash Rookie
Hi, i am new to the forum obviously, and as you might already know, i love kirby. My friends think he is gay and stuff like that, i wanna prove them wrong, i wanna learn how to do the Swallowcide.

Can anyone either give me a vid of them doing it or a very simplton way to learn it cause what was said on the first post was kinda technical. If anyone could tell me when i should press buttons.

Thanks in advance, i know i will like it here.
In simple terms:

1. Suck Enemy
2. Run off edge
3. Hammer Y when they die.

Hyper Kirby

Smash Rookie
So what do i do once i am at the bottom of the stage and about to die, do i spit(Star), swallow(ability) or something else?

Pink Reaper

Real Name No Gimmicks
BRoomer
In the Air, Using Up b as an offensive move
no, you do nothing, the person in your mouth will actually die before you(usually there are a few exceptions) and you can actually jump back to the stage if your timing is very good.

On a side note, yesterday i was playing my friend Nick who has a pretty wicked CF and I had him off the ledge and he was trying to recover and he would have mad it but i ledge hopped to a reverse swallow and just took him down and then was able to Swallowcide cancel it back to the ledge. Doesn't really help anyone I just wanted to say it.

Hyper Kirby

Smash Rookie
Ok, i understand now, aren't the exceptions pichu and that? Cause they are really little or something, but you can kill them, you both die at the same time. If i am right, please say so.

I am going to practise-for the first time- swallowciding, then i will practise the 2 wave move thingys that i forgot the name of.

Pink Reaper

Real Name No Gimmicks
BRoomer
In the Air, Using Up b as an offensive move
Yeah, the characters that die at the same time as kirby are Ice climbers, Pichu, Jiggs, Ness and kirby(obviously). All other characters die before Kirby, its all related to the characters size in relation to kirby. Which reminds me, does a character that has a super mushroom die even sooner or is it just related to the initial size?(no hyper kirby i dont expect you to know, this one is for t!Mmmy and the other kirby pros)

t!MmY

Smash Hero
NNID
t1mmy_smash
Yes, a super mushroom will make them SD faster in a Swallowcide because of their increased size. Similarly, super mushrooms will make Kirby die first if he's bigger than his victim.

And don't just "hammer the jump button" to SD-cancel. Learn to time your jump right as your opponent is SDing. Rapidly pushing the jump button might be more simplistic, but learning the timing isn't too difficult and yields greater results.

PrinceOfDalaam

Smash Apprentice
Yes, a super mushroom will make them SD faster in a Swallowcide because of their increased size. Similarly, super mushrooms will make Kirby die first if he's bigger than his victim.

And don't just "hammer the jump button" to SD-cancel. Learn to time your jump right as your opponent is SDing. Rapidly pushing the jump button might be more simplistic, but learning the timing isn't too difficult and yields greater results.
Yeah cuz the time between pressing the buttons could have been the few frames u had to jump :ohwell:

Hyper Kirby

Smash Rookie
Well if that happens with a super mushroom, a poison mushroom should make them die after cause they are smaller, correct?

Note:I have pretty much mastered the Swallowcide (yay for me), i was versing lvl 9 CPU's -cause my friends weren't here with me- and i swallowcided 6 people and died twice, once was the actual cide and the other was an edge gaurding fox

larrygoroundz

Smash Rookie
wow thanks guys, this thread really helped a lot. i am inspired to take on kirby as one of my main characters just so i can be unique, and mess with/humiliate them : )

Maraphy

Smash Ace
NNID
Marraph
3DS FC
3780-9036-1349
I'd have to dissagree. On a stage like FoD or Battlefield and whatnot, an opponent suspecting to be swallowcided can be caught offguard if you turn around and shoot them under the stage. Not to mention, being completely under the stage and even sweetspotting can be hard to do, especially if Kirby is right there to give you a Aerial.

Tomato Kirby

Smash Ace
Are you disagreeing with the mushroom intricacies in the last few posts? If so, who is what size?

However, it does not seem like that is what you are referring to...so I will assume you disagree with keeping them in Kirby's mouth. If you are talking about something else...sorry for the inconvenience, but then please clarify in the future. I have kept rereading the previous posts and the context.

I'd have to dissagree. On a stage like FoD or Battlefield and whatnot, an opponent suspecting to be swallowcided can be caught offguard if you turn around and shoot them under the stage. Not to mention, being completely under the stage and even sweetspotting can be hard to do, especially if Kirby is right there to give you a Aerial.

Star Shooting people out under the stage is generally a bad idea. As mentioned before...
  1. It is possible to break out of Star Shot (I think).
  2. Kirby goes down and the foe goes up.
  3. The foe gets their jump back with ^B.

Star Shooting...
The most practical legal stage I see this is Corneria or Kirby 64 against horizontal recover jumpers. Fountain of Dreams can allow vertical recover jumpers to get back and on Battlefield the foe can still get to the stage. Battlefield, I think, has a low floor as well.

Aerials after Star Shooting...
As for another of your reasons, Kirby is going to be too far out of range after spitting the foe out to use a successful aerial. If it is Fox Star Shot out and Kirby jumps...well, Shine spikes are not fun.

What do you mean by "suspecting to be swallowcided"? Who is where?

May this post stand as my arguement against anyone suggesting "Star Shot under the stage." (no offense; just my position.)

On a side note, it would be funny to see a shrunken Kirby swallowcide a foe such as Bowser.

thanortinzak

Smash Apprentice
I love kirbyciding!

This is one of the reasons why I think Kirby's inhale is much better than copying an ability. Even if the opponent escapes, Kirby still has has an excellent aerial game, with a kick-*** recovery to boot.

By the way, I believe Kirbyciding should earn Kirby a spot in the top tier. :wink:

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend
Ummm no.

Kirby's still horrible this is just a gimmicky trick that might work once every 10 games if your opponents suffer from some sort of strange mental disorder.

kirbyraeg

Smash Hero
against characters without projectiles that have bad range and a poor aerial recovery, swallowciding is useful. >_>

also, is using swallow to force an aerial approach a viable mixup against short-range chars? (I'm thinking specifically Falcon). Say the falcon sh nair spams as an approach; by using swallow, make him think you're vulnerable from above, get him to approach with a fh dair and end the swallow early and spotdodge->utilt->bair???

edit: this thread is technically about swallowciding rather than use of swallow, sorry if this is seriously OT.

Triple_R2

Smash Rookie
During school, at the U, Minneapolis, MN; otherwis
against characters without projectiles that have bad range and a poor aerial recovery, swallowciding is useful. >_>

also, is using swallow to force an aerial approach a viable mixup against short-range chars? (I'm thinking specifically Falcon). Say the falcon sh nair spams as an approach; by using swallow, make him think you're vulnerable from above, get him to approach with a fh dair and end the swallow early and spotdodge->utilt->bair???

edit: this thread is technically about swallowciding rather than use of swallow, sorry if this is seriously OT.
Falcon's not gonna try to full hop dair you when you're sitting there. He's gonna give you the knee.

_Rocky_

Smash Ace
Is the time needed to escape a swallow the same as the time needed for escaping grabs?

I got swallowed off the edge on YS, broke out of it, walljumped, baired and recovered, all whilst killing my opponent :D

He jv3 stocked me for it though :x

BunBun

Smash Master
So I think there's something wrong or weird about this, because this weekend I swallowcided a Pika and we both died at the same time and it went to sudden death.

Pika's a 1 framer, so it should have ended with me winning.

I initiated it from the air, would that have anything to do with it?

bubbaking

Smash Hero
Baldwin, NY, USA or Alexandria, VA, USA (Pick one)
King Kirby, as for your stuff, I did try the FoD stuff, and I can confirm that now, so I will add that in with credit to you. However, the rest of it I'll have to look at. Basically, for everything that I've tried for it hasn't been panning out. Though I did find something interesting with Pikachu....

While trying to survive on Final D against Pikachu (I never did make it to the edge, anyway), I put it on 2x speed just for kicks. I did the swallowcide, then I actually got the initial surviving jump in. After being surprised that I actually did that at 2x speed, I noticed the inconsistancy...

Logically speaking, if Pikachu were to be survivable with 1 frame at 60 frames per second, how did I survive it at all with the speed doubled? It doesn't make sense to me... anyone got an explanation?
More activity on Kirby boards! But, as usual, this isn't an unnecessary bump. I'm actually curious as to the answer of DeathscytheHello's Q since it was never answered. I feel like running at 2x speed actually gave him 120 frames/sec to work with, thus effectively DOUBLING his chances of pulling that first jump to survive. Perhaps, it would be impossible to survive at 1/2 or 1/4 speed, or I could be wrong. Anyone's thoughts on this?

:Tally Hoes

Banned via Administration
The answer is logical math if 60 frames=1 sec. And you make the rate of frames increase to go twice as fast how many frames would play per a sec. 120 which means the normal 60 frames would take 1/2 a sec meaning you have a 1/120th of a sec. To do it.

After reading your posts you seem to act helpless to some degree or you lack a smash disc to play on more than once a month. Asking for help is good but if you can find it out yourself that will make you much better in the long run.

:phone:

bubbaking

Smash Hero
The answer is logical math if 60 frames=1 sec. And you make the rate of frames increase to go twice as fast how many frames would play per a sec. 120 which means the normal 60 frames would take 1/2 a sec meaning you have a 1/120th of a sec. To do it.

After reading your posts you seem to act helpless to some degree or you lack a smash disc to play on more than once a month. Asking for help is good but if you can find it out yourself that will make you much better in the long run.

Not sure who you're talking to, but this wasn't asking for help, and FYI the original asker of the Q was the one who made this thread who was pretty good w/ Kirby. And in case you didn't notice/read, I already figured out that it would run at 120 frames/sec. Was just confused on what that would mean for actions that can only happen in a one frame window. Don't know if you're new or a veteran making another account, but it's kinda presumptious to assume some1 is helpless or lacks a smash disc since neither happens to be the case. This was just some1 looking to find an answer to something completely trivial to the game.

tl;dr Don't insult people over trivial matters.

You have a 120th of a sec. thats all.

Merely saying you bumped a lt of threads in a way that angled you to fit that moreso. And in truth I like to try to break people down and figure them out saying that merely gave me a bit more about you as I abuse in tournements when I can.

Also IF I had to make a guess you are an alt yourself by expecting I might be one myself silmar to how when people say you're cheating on me they themselfes are really cheating on them. Me saying that makes me more likly to be like said case but i'm more intrested in your reaction that if i'm new or an alt i'm merely trying to draw you in with this.

Also I didn't mean to insult you or come off negative at all i'm sorry.

bubbaking

Smash Hero
Well, I apologize for any misunderstanding this may have caused. It is true that I have bumped a lot of threads, but tbh, I am trying to bring activity back to the Kirby and Bowser boards. I mostly main Sheik and Samus and I am never bored on their Smashboards threads, but I also play these low tier characters and would like to see similar activity on their stuff. :( I can assure you, I'm no alt. I've just seen quite a few around and have picked up on some things. My main suspicion arose when you referred to me bumping a lot of threads when I haven't seen your username anywhere at all. Whether you are or aren't one is, itself, trivial and not very important. No harm or hostility was meant.

I like how you handled that. I like to be like the riddlerand make you think everything and know nothing.

To be fair research helps like a boom happens when something new is found like bowsers grab releash even if it was old. Percent based studies could help also like maybe knowing the sheild stun will help push forward a wierd sheild pressure or means to avoid stuff better.

But I think getting more players or a higher level of players would be the best way to keep it active without it being spam. So step it up for someone would be the best long term answer.

Top Bottom