• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Swaggin' On 'Em - The Luigi Thread

GamerGuy09

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-3742-4712-6319
Honestly nothing has really happened with Luigi that would promote him having a new moveset.

I still want a Mr. L alt costume.

UnknownM

Smash Cadet
Honestly it's hard to tell if:4luigi:or any other character will get nerfed and buffed, especially considering :4diddy:and :4zss:, who were top/high tiers in Brawl, got heavily buffed transitioning to Sm4sh. Then there's :4jigglypuff: who was bottom tier in Brawl yet she barely got any buffs and overall was considered nerfed in Sm4sh. However characters who are extremely dominant such as :pikachu64:,:foxmelee:, and :metaknight: would definitely be nerfed.

However, I would overall see him getting slightly nerfed, but I think a buff to Luigi Cyclone will happen where mashing will be made easier and less tedious.

Not seeing anything else change for him, although I would LOVE to see Dr. Luigi/Mr. L alts for him to appear.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Luigi ain't going anywhere, but I just hope he isn't a secret character again.

The thing that needs to be changed is the Luigi Cyclone. Trying to mash the special button and not use a midair jump is incredibly hard and not everyone is a great button masher. I think he's fine as is, but the mashing desperately needs to be fixed.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
I don't think Luigi is going to return guys. :(

Nakamura

Smash Cadet
No way in hell do they get rid off a Original 12 Character, personally im hoping his cyclone gets a damage buff, maybe even a new UpB but thats not as important imo.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
No way in hell do they get rid off a Original 12 Character, personally im hoping his cyclone gets a damage buff, maybe even a new UpB but thats not as important imo.
T'was a joke my friend. :)

Oddball

Smash Lord
They're bringing him back. They're just going to change him a little bit to match one of his most famous appearances.

This one.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
They're bringing him back. They're just going to change him a little bit to match one of his most famous appearances.

This one.
And it's timely as well with the new Mario movie releasing sooner or later.

Quillion

Smash Hero
I'm still waiting for that Poltergust grab.

No, the Final Smash is not good enough.

Grizzexploder

Smash Apprentice
Luigi seems fine the way he is moveset-wise

unless you want to implement some RPG stuff, then give him lightning properties on his forward air and back air like Zelda's Lightning Kick

AncientArk

Smash Apprentice
One thing I wouldn't mind to be changed is that he is given Lightning powers instead of fireballs.
The Lightning power from the Superstar Saga game.

Also, I want Luigi's final smash to Luigify his opponents if they enter his domain.

MrReyes96

Smash Ace
I think some sort of acknowledgment to luigi’s Mansion or the mario and Luigi rpg games would be good

Poltergust being his down special always seems like a no brainer
Or we could just have a playable Professor E. Hard with a poltergust and FLUDD
And electric elements to some of his attacks would help make him more different to Mario

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
I think some sort of acknowledgment to luigi’s Mansion or the mario and Luigi rpg games would be good

And electric elements to some of his attacks would help make him more different to Mario
For the Love of God, I just want an E Gadd game, where the player designs all sorts of weird items and uses this to advance in ranking from student to Professor.

I imagine the premise to be something along the lines of lack of mobility in the Mushroom Kingdom (I mean, the name even implies rooted). So E Gadd works toward creating means of getting around (perhaps in the form of some power ups) before Finally revealing a new master plan, to connect the Kingdom with it's own form of massive underground public transportation technology, in the form of the Warp Pipes. In the end we see the construction of the first Pipes.

It will be the game to provide the most history to the Mushroom Kingdom, and it will be beloved.

Quillion

Smash Hero

I think Poltergust just needs to be his grab. The Luigi Tornado can stay where it is.

Miifighters4Smash5

Smash Journeyman
If Mario's in; then Luigi's in too; Not Only because of How Much Love Luigi's getting this year(Not only releasing his DLC inclusion in Odyssey, But also a 3D Remake of his First Standalone Game where he's in the spotlight, Luigi's Mansion; even though It's not quite as Huge as The Year of Luigi 5 Years ago; It's still much more than he's gotten lately Post-2013), I just cannot see Luigi being Kicked out of the Roster.

I think Luigi is fine the way he is. I would like to see him throw thunder balls instead of fireballs though. Just think that would be kinda cool.

Also, this may be unpopular, but I actually want him to be unlockable again. Why? Because, well, think about it. It just makes sense for him. I mean, one of Luigi's prominent traits in Mario is that, well, he's always cast aside and forgotten in favor of Mario. He's always living in his shadow, never getting his own piece of the cake, so thinking about it that way, being unlockable to me, is the best way to represent his status as the left behind shadow in Mario games.

Miifighters4Smash5

Smash Journeyman
I think Luigi is fine the way he is. I would like to see him throw thunder balls instead of fireballs though. Just think that would be kinda cool.

Also, this may be unpopular, but I actually want him to be unlockable again. Why? Because, well, think about it. It just makes sense for him. I mean, one of Luigi's prominent traits in Mario is that, well, he's always cast aside and forgotten in favor of Mario. He's always living in his shadow, never getting his own piece of the cake, so thinking about it that way, being unlockable to me, is the best way to represent his status as the left behind shadow in Mario games.
But that wouldn't make sense, as he's just had a WHOLE Year in the spotlight!!

But that wouldn't make sense, as he's just had a WdHOLE Year in the spotlight!!
True, but the Year of Luigi has long since passed, and afterwards, he's just returned to being the guy who's name is always forgotten in favor of the Mario's in the Mario games. Of course, though, that's just my stoopid opinion, so you can disagree all you want.

Last edited:

CBO0tz

Smash Lord
Imo the Year of Luigi sucked because Nintendo kept reskinning Mario games (not even changing Princess Peach to Daisy..) instead of making actual original Luigi-based games like Luigi's Mansion.

I think the most symbolic game of the Year of Luigi should've been a remastered Super Mario Land called Super Luigi Land, since that's the first Mario game that Luigi didn't make an appearance in at all. That, and the introduction of Daisy should've been established from the beginning as Luigi's love interest, imo.

Last edited:

Folt

Smash Ace
Woot! My first main is back (not that there was any doubt), now I wonder if he will be an unlockable character again, since it seems that the roster for this one is starting out small (but making character unlocks much faster).

Like, from the video, the only characters I am positively sure are starters are the original Smash 64 starter cast. With how the rest (including starters from other games) are going to be unlockables now, it'd be kind of fitting if we only started out with the classic 8, then slowly but surely built up the roster as a way of saying "this is how the Smash roster used to be a long time ago, but look at it now."

Fortress

Smash Master
Posted this elsewhere, but, I thought to myself that "hey, wait, this sounds legit". I'm thinking if Luigi mains focus on some setups into platform knockdowns they can have a very powerful tech chase game in Smash Ultimate. Pop somebody up onto a platform, waveland into it and either (1) perfect shield if they do a wakeup attack or (2) jump out of shield to punish a roll/stand. Both of those options should be very easy to see and react to, and it all can be done while shielding right on top of them.

Nah, most-likely you're going to be able to have Street Fighter-style parry shenanigans like Perfect-Shield > uSpecial. uSpecial's sweetspot hitbox seems to be a lot bigger now (at least horizontally), and being able to powershield in the middle of blockstrings is going to be a huge help to you. Remember, in older Smash games dropping your shield took a pretty long time, generally too long to drop in the middle of a string and pop again between moves.

Now, if people decide to go crazy on your block they risk you dropping block for a potential kill at decent percents. In fact, if you were to down somebody on a high platform, jump and waveland into it (since we can do that again!), you can simply start shielding, and if they do their wakeup attack you can perfect shield it every time for a free shoryuken from a high elevation. I think Luigi has secret top-tier platform tech chase setups.

Last edited:

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Posted this elsewhere, but, I thought to myself that "hey, wait, this sounds legit". I'm thinking if Luigi mains focus on some setups into platform knockdowns they can have a very powerful tech chase game in Smash Ultimate. Pop somebody up onto a platform, waveland into it and either (1) perfect shield if they do a wakeup attack or (2) jump out of shield to punish a roll/stand. Both of those options should be very easy to see and react to, and it all can be done while shielding right on top of them.
Sod perfect shielding, the new dash cancelling mechanics on top of generally faster dash speeds means Luigi can approach better than he's ever been able to before (except maybe Melee).

Yonder

Smashboard's 1st Sole Survivor
NNID
Skullicide
3DS FC
4055-4053-1813
Up and f tilt have new animations
Green missile has a new charging animation
He has slightly different expressions during his up taunt
Tornado has a new, more pronounced visual effects.
Up b has the dramatic slow mo.

Those are are the changes I've caught myself

D

Deleted member

Anyone catch if his Dash Attack is still the same? It'd be pretty big if they change it.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Anyone catch if his Dash Attack is still the same? It'd be pretty big if they change it.
His dash attack is unlikely to ever change, it's pretty ingrained into his character at this point, even showing up alongside Green Missile in Mario Sports Mix.

That said it gets noticeably better in every game. Maybe this time it'll become a kill move :p.

Last edited:
Top Bottom