• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Survival of the Fittest - Wii Fit Trainer Thread

hermes

Smash Apprentice
Mind if I ask what new mechanics will be bad for WFT? Just wanting a little help understanding more about how Ultimate works compared to WiiU/3DS.
Ah sorry for late answer. I meant the air dodge changes. Wii fit loves to play at the ledge and her playstyle is rather elusive bait punish. Low langing lag also hurts because our aerials didnt have much utility and everyone could pressure safely.

About changes all I see is better combo game, better mobikity, better uptilt and back air. I guess side b feels better. Those changes are pretty significant ^^

Last edited:

Mark The Page

Smash Apprentice
Ah sorry for late answer. I meant the air dodge changes. Wii fit loves to play at the ledge and her playstyle is rather elusive bait punish. Low langing lag also hurts because our aerials didnt have much utility and everyone could pressure safely.

About changes all I see is better combo game, better mobikity, better uptilt and back air. I guess side b feels better. Those changes are pretty significant ^^
She's got more universal buffs than that. One of her biggest problems in Smash 4 was a lack of active hitboxes--unless you connected exactly when the attack started, you whiffed. Now many of her hitboxes last twice as long. New Header physics also benefit her, although I've had much more difficulty landing the headbutt's meteor hitbox.

Not to imply that ALL of her hitboxes issues have been fixed. You can still whiff a side smash while standing directly adjacent to a short character. But at least our shorties matchups have improved with the lower-reaching Header physics, more powerful dash attack, and ability to execute a standing dash attack.

hermes

Smash Apprentice
Ah ty for the info. Those active hitboxes are the reason of my newly comfort ^^ I havent realized

Last edited:

Erimir

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3823-8583-9137
Snake feels the pain of what he's lost, when he sees what WFT has gained...

1547184572506.png

Erimir

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3823-8583-9137
For some reason online was full of Dededes for me today... The Dedede matchup seems like it's better than in SSB4. The ability to use Inhale to reflect projectiles requires more care (mostly for Sun Salutation, since he always spits Header out along the ground, and a lot of the time you won't be in its path anyway), but other aspects seem easier.

In particular, the long-lasting hitbox on the soccer ball interferes with Gordos a lot, it seems.

Impax

Smash Apprentice
So do we have any top level representation? I used to watch players like john numbers and waveguider to get better in smash 4.

Diabolique

Smash Cadet
There are some TKbreezy matches on youtube, and I believe he has a stream and youtube channel presence. Apparently BestNess plays Wii Fit into some matchups as well, but I'm not entirely sure how often that happens. Those are the only two that I know off the top of my head though.

sam☆jam

Smash Apprentice
NNID
MiracleJeanacle
3DS FC
1032-1249-3789
Does anyone with the 3.0.0 update have information on Deep Breathing’s duration?

What do you all think of this update? Was sad to see her shield pressure from sun salutation take a hit, and apparently using header with getup attack has been removed (nooo).

But it seems like the buffs are more than worth it. No good player will sit in shield rather than avoid sun salutation (or parry with the new buff) and if the Bury buff is good enough it can lead to more combos or kills. Deep breathing is even better meaning it’s harder to stall until it ends

EDIT— the header mechanics change is worse than it looks. Wii Fit can no longer use header after grabbing the ledge reliably because the ball gets stuck on the corner. It now requires either a double jump or full charge header to work properly

Last edited:

RichWalk9891

Smash Cadet
Does anyone with the 3.0.0 update have information on Deep Breathing’s duration?
It has been increased from 9.8 seconds to 13, from what I counted in training mode. Not bad, if I say so myself. A pity the healing effect hasn't been upgraded due to the 1v1 battles increasing all damage output by 20%, but I'll take what I can get.

The Jab 3's bury effect seems more consistent now thanks to the new patch, which is a welcome change.

Mark The Page

Smash Apprentice
Ugh. I've had a lot of fun getting shield breaks with Sun Salutation and Header. Header has been especially deadly if the opponent is caught in the sweetspot and has already taken some shield damage--instant break right there. But with the projectile half of the attack being weakened... probably won't happen much.

But yeah, the nerf is probably worth Lunge burying more consistently and Deep Breathing lasting another 3 seconds.

Mark The Page

Smash Apprentice
At least the bury status in Ultimate benefits WFT more than it did in 3DS/WiiU, especially if she is in DB state.
And the burying hitbox is now even bigger than it was in Smash 4! As opposed to way smaller in the previous patch. Though still highly unlikely to produce a follow-up except at very high percents.

Also,

EDIT— the header mechanics change is worse than it looks. Wii Fit can no longer use header after grabbing the ledge reliably because the ball gets stuck on the corner. It now requires either a double jump or full charge header to work properly
This isn't right--instant Headers from the ledge have not been affected. I can still perform them by releasing from the ledge, with no need to jump.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Wadi's picked up Wii Fit thanks to the recent buffs and I highly recommend watching his recent matches against Elegant. Wadi's combo game is on point and I feel like he'd be an absolute beast with the character if he incorporated some of the basic ball tricks into his playstyle.

Last edited:

Mark The Page

Smash Apprentice
From the beginning... interesting that he goes for flair rather than charging anything. Playing Wii Fit Trainer already awards maximum style points. And around 0:25, he goes for a dud f-throw that gets counterattacked, rather than throwing up or down for big damage. Around 1:45 he gets one of Wii Fit's golden combos but... randomly gives up on it? He goes for lots of dash attacks for long-range approaches, when pivot-canceled tilts would be MUCH more effective. Perfect opportunity for a Header sweetspot at 2:40, forgone. At 3 minutes, he uses another dud f-throw instead of a combo throw--he wanted to get his opponent offstage but didn't even chase OR charge up. He could've gotten the best of both worlds from up-throw -> f-air. Instead he did literally nothing.

That's my analysis of the first match on there. He's not taking advantage of combos, and not making good use of time. Wii Fit Trainer should NEVER be standing around waiting. If you're not charging, you're breathing. If you're not breathing, you're setting up a Header angle. He got really lucky on that last stock.

In the same way that I can't stand watching a Villager player who doesn't know how to do anything but spam slingshots, I don't like watching WFT players who treat her like a normal character. She's extremely abnormal--that's why nobody plays her. She's not good if you try using standard/generic strategies. At least he wasn't trying to go for b-airs in neutral at low damage, which is basically my ultimate trigger. Compared to n-air it has worse range, active frames, vulnerability, damage, combos... and yet people STILL try it.

Reldan

Smash Rookie
So this is a thing with 3.0:

0-to-death combo from Ledge. Thanks to Varun!

It looks like while the Header ball glitch was patched out (RIP), you can now Header back onto the ledge and land with no lag frames for some reason, and this allows for ridiculous combos as seen in the link above.

RichWalk9891

Smash Cadet
Would anyone be opposed to the idea of Wii Fit Trainer having a counter move during her Deep Breathing state should the player uses Down-B again, and that it would basically act as the 'Volatile Breathing' custom move in 3DS/WiiU should it connect? There doesn't seem to be any practical use of using Down-B when Deep Breathing is already in effect.

Then again, so many characters already have counter moves, don't they?

sam☆jam

Smash Apprentice
NNID
MiracleJeanacle
3DS FC
1032-1249-3789
That would be nice. It has even less utility now as an air stall than it did with smash 4’s spammable airdodges, plus it’d be nice not having to worry about accidentally cancelling the remaining activity of the move

Crooked Crow

drank from lakes of sorrow
I remember the good old days when character specific boards were hustling and bustling with activity. Shame.

Mark The Page

Smash Apprentice
I remember the good old days when character specific boards were hustling and bustling with activity. Shame.
Yeah, I'm checking again after 8 months and nothing. I am very sad, because I'm now internalizing the impossible task of describing in words just how bad Wii Fit Trainer is. The only way I ever win is by tripping the opponent up with projectile play.

When going for combos, they can only start from 1 of her 5 aerials and are almost all easily DId out of.

On offense, she has the worst range in the game and not one of her attacks is even remotely safe on shield.

On defense, she has literally zero viable OOS options other than praying the opponent is using a weak attack directly in front of her.

Eremurus

Smash Apprentice
So, about those buffs.

This character has so much potential. Always had. It is just not the easiest to optimize in this kind of meta.

Mark The Page

Smash Apprentice
The faster up smash is very noticeable, and the new down tilt angle finally lets it kill, but these didn't address her weaknesses.

I hope Wii Fit Trainer gets cut from the next game. Then she could return as paid DLC and be top tier.

Eremurus

Smash Apprentice
The faster up smash is very noticeable, and the new down tilt angle finally lets it kill, but these didn't address her weaknesses.

I hope Wii Fit Trainer gets cut from the next game. Then she could return as paid DLC and be top tier.
People wouldn't want Wii Fit Trainer as DLC. Doesn't have the same notoriety that Joker, Banjo, Cloud, Bayonetta, etc, have.

Top Bottom