• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Survival of the Fittest - Wii Fit Trainer Thread

sam☆jam

Smash Apprentice
NNID
MiracleJeanacle
3DS FC
1032-1249-3789
Share your support for the trainer's return in this thread! Remember to warm up and stretch before any strenuous typing.

WFT_4.gif
WFT_3.gif
WFT_2.gif

Last edited:

Originality

Smash Journeyman
Was looking for this thread. Really hope Wii Fit Trainer makes the cut.

Cute gifs.

I know a lot of people are worried about WFT being cut, but I think they have a good chance of staying. After all, and I know i'm a broken record on this, they were used for when smash For was initially revealed. That certainly says something about how Sakurai views them if they were one of the first newcomers shown off.

:061:

Laniv

Smash Lord
I might not have played her much, but I'll be sad if she doesn't make it.

Jubileus57

Smash Ace
I really like the WFT. I also don't see her leaving anytime soon: the previous WTF characters like Mr. Game and Watch and ROB didn't get axed after their debuts.

AnonymousMoon

Smash Lord
NNID
AnonynousMoon
3DS FC
0791-2743-3698
She’s one of the perky oddball console reps in my opinion, akin to ROB, Game & Watch, and Ice Climbers.

I think she’s fine in terms of whether she’ll make the cut

Kooj Kooj

Smash Cadet
I would love nothing more than the fitness squad returning to Sma5h! Gotta teach them kids to git fit :)

KieRanaRan

Smash Apprentice
NNID
KieRanaRan
3DS FC
0662-3728-1857
If R.O.B. can make a name for himself in Smash then I don't see why Wii Fit Trainer can't!

Tollhouse

Smash Journeyman
I will be heart broken if she doesn't return. However I think there are a lot of characters who would get axed before wii-fit. Unless Sakurai plans to wipe out more than a 1/4 of the rosters, I'm pretty sure she'll be fine. I can't imagine more than 3 or 5 characters getting cut along with any 3rd parties for licensing reasons.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
I loved these characters. I certainly hope they stay.
Though I hope the beach ball changes.

Tollhouse

Smash Journeyman
I'm not sure why people say she has bad chances of returning. She's on the cover of the game, and one the disc. She was featured during smash's first E3 along with Villager and Megaman for newcomers. I feel that Sakurai must have really liked the character to use her to promote the game at such a big event.

sam☆jam

Smash Apprentice
NNID
MiracleJeanacle
3DS FC
1032-1249-3789
so far I've heard

-Not enough players use her casually or competitively (false; there is a fair number of casual and competitive WFT users)
-The Wii brand is over so she's irrelevant (false; many Smash characters could be considered irrelevant)
-Personal distaste for the character, so she's easy to cut when making fan rosters (Good thing Sakurai makes the calls)

The fact is, she's now a veteran, so she has a decent rate of reappearing regardless of personal opinion

Last edited:

MrRoidley

Smash Ace
Remember how loads of people said Ice Climbers would be cut in Brawl with no logical reasons?
And how the same happened with ROB in SSB4?
I guess Wii Fit Trainer is this character this time lol

She's the best representative of the Wii era/brand, of over 10 years of Nintendo. Cutting her would actually be a huge blow. Plus of the "wtf" characters, none of them ever got cut, with the exception of Ice Climbers, but that was only because of hardware limitations anyway

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Look.....listen......I don't wanna let go of the casual Wii and DS era.....she's practically all I have left.

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
Remember how loads of people said Ice Climbers would be cut in Brawl with no logical reasons?
And how the same happened with ROB in SSB4?
I guess Wii Fit Trainer is this character this time lol
And it's not as if she is even an unpopular character. Have people forgotten the huge amount of fan art and memes:4villager: and:4wiifit: inspired shortly after their reveal?

MrRoidley

Smash Ace
I think an important question is:
will they keep the Wii Fit/Plus design? or will they update (or who knows, just add as an costume) them to the Wii Fit U design?

Kooj Kooj

Smash Cadet
I personally hope they keep the original design. Honestly... the Wii Fit U design kinda creeps me out.

I'd also like to hear what people have to say about how they could balance her better? I for one would love to see some improvements to her hitbox sizes. Most other characters get these air-slashing extensions to their hitboxes that Wii Fit was just neglected on, and as a result she had a lot of janky hitboxes. For example, she had no forward coverage in the air, and her grounded hitboxes often went over top of small characters (jab1, ftilt, HER GRAB IS A NIGHTMARE!) It's also interesting that a lot of her moves have coverage on both sides of her, where a lot of characters rely on their DSmash/Nair to do that. That being said, if her niche allows her to cover herself but not extend outward, she's not likely to contend with any sort of range, like the 18,000 sword characters.

Ghirahilda

♥Smash Beauty♥
NNID
Marcelinho21
will they keep the Wii Fit/Plus design? or will they update (or who knows, just add as an costume) them to the Wii Fit U design?
SHe totally got a trophy so I'm into this for sure!

Tollhouse

Smash Journeyman
I personally hope they keep the original design. Honestly... the Wii Fit U design kinda creeps me out.

I'd also like to hear what people have to say about how they could balance her better? I for one would love to see some improvements to her hitbox sizes. Most other characters get these air-slashing extensions to their hitboxes that Wii Fit was just neglected on, and as a result she had a lot of janky hitboxes. For example, she had no forward coverage in the air, and her grounded hitboxes often went over top of small characters (jab1, ftilt, HER GRAB IS A NIGHTMARE!) It's also interesting that a lot of her moves have coverage on both sides of her, where a lot of characters rely on their DSmash/Nair to do that. That being said, if her niche allows her to cover herself but not extend outward, she's not likely to contend with any sort of range, like the 18,000 sword characters.
I really like the way she is. She's very hard to use and demands a lot of precision. When you have all that and you can play like John Numbers, it's very rewarding.

Last edited:

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
Agreed, she does have that serious Uncanny Valley feel with the design.

Though the different hairstyles both trainers had in Fit U were cool.

Shinuto

Smash Champion
NNID
Shinuto
3DS FC
4682-8633-0978

Make her u-tilt, and d-tilt end way quicker and actually have uses, u-tilt can combo sometimes but its so laggy. WFT in general has an assload of lag for like no reason.

also make her downgrab have a reason to exist, have it send the opponent closer to her to allow for combos. Right now its useless it seems.

hitbox size increase across the board too, her hitbozes are soo unnecessarily precise compared to everyone else.

DutchPichu

Smash Journeyman
I am one of the few people who mained the Wii Fit Trainer in Smash 4 (with the lack of the Ice Climbers). I really really hope they come back. Especially in their Wii Fit U costumes, they are far better than their Wii iterations.

I can only see them being cut due to the Wii era being represented enough with only the Miis. Or Wii Fit Trainer being really low priority. But that's a stretch.

CrusherMania1592

Deaf Smasher
Premium
3DS FC
5472-7454-3545
I wouldn't mind the Wii U Fitness design.

Kaiduru Zeta

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Kaiduru_Zeta8
3DS FC
1332-7842-2519
I think she'll be back but I'm just hoping. I think she definitely needs buffs. Like DEFINITELY needs them for her to be better as she's def bottom 15 in the meta currently...

SorrowOfAcheron

Smash Journeyman
Hope she returns so much. Easily my favorite newcomer in Smash 4.
I'm kinda 50/50 on her chances; I don't think tons of people were very hyped for her reveal or even like her that much currently but her game was a pretty big deal.
I personally think she should be a mainstay for the next few games, at least; good way to represent the Wii era in general.

I also like the Wii design more than the Fit U one.

PepperFoop

Smash Rookie
When Smash 4 was announced, I had my hopes up for a character concept I've been wanting in Smash for forever. a character with self-healing capabilities! I always found that idea fun. a character who could get value out of the neutral no matter how campy or evasive the opponent plays.

Suddenly we saw Wii Fit Trainer. Now unlike some sticks in the mud, I absolutely love out-of-leftfield newcomers in Smash Bros. I already thought WFT was hilarious and a good choice. When I found out she could also heal herself with 2 of her moves? Oh man. INSTANT main.

Looking forward at Smash 5, I see no reason to not reinclude her. She's totally unique, she represets an entire era of Nintendo (one of the best selling eras at that), Her little fitness comments are absolutely hilarious, and she offers a lot of technical depth in her Header. Simply put, even if they put a lot of effort into changing a lot of veterans, there's no reason to not rip her model and port her over to the (theoretically) new physics engine.

VexTheHex

Smash Ace
Really don't agree with people thinking they have their foot already out the door. Wii Fit Trainers while not the most popular characters ever added do have the luxury of being like ROB or G&W. They represent an era of Nintendo and are wacky additions to the roster. I kind of doubt they will be cut unless Sakurai has trouble balancing them to become stronger picks than they are and decides the kit was a failure.

I have a soft spot for them currently as I beat family members visiting with the character. I enjoy when people tell me a character is weak and then beat them up with them.

Lastly, I do ponder if I'm the only person who plays the male trainer. :4wiifitm:

PepperFoop

Smash Rookie
Really don't agree with people thinking they have their foot already out the door. Wii Fit Trainers while not the most popular characters ever added do have the luxury of being like ROB or G&W. They represent an era of Nintendo and are wacky additions to the roster. I kind of doubt they will be cut unless Sakurai has trouble balancing them to become stronger picks than they are and decides the kit was a failure.

I have a soft spot for them currently as I beat family members visiting with the character. I enjoy when people tell me a character is weak and then beat them up with them.

Lastly, I do ponder if I'm the only person who plays the male trainer. :4wiifitm:
I use male wii fit specifically to mock people lol

MarineIris

Smash Cadet
Wii Fit Trainer should come back. I was originally more excited for Robin, Duck Hunt, and Palutena, but I ended up having far more fun with Wii Fit Trainer's moveset and fanart.

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
The Wii Fit Trainer is coming back unless the roster will end up seriously gutted. The only times when an entire Nintendo franchise has lost playable representative was with the Ice Climbers and they had special circumstances that don't apply to WFT. Even then, the Ice Climbers were intended to be in Smash 4.

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
NNID
trpdm.wilton
I loved the inclusion of Wii Fit Trainer. I thought she was a genius and hilarious inclusion who I really don't want to see go.

Tollhouse

Smash Journeyman
Reading the Cut 5 characters game in the general thread is a massive head ache because so many people claim Wii-fit won't get in because she's not relevant anymore. LOL you kidding me? This just makes me want to play 4 Glory and get early percent header spikes on everyone.

I don't believe relevance is a factor in how Sakurai decides his roster. I think it's more of a question as to what does this character add to the game? Wii fit's moveset is incredibly well thought out. She has moves that hit in opposite directions simultaneously and the only catch is that their hit boxes are small. Plus she can increase her hit box range with her soccer ball. There is no other character that can do that.

I think she'll stay in smash for the same reasons as other posts in this thread. She's just so out there like Game and Watch and ROB, not to mention she's her own unique character and not a clone. Same goes for Duck Hunt. He'll return for the same reasons.

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
Reading the Cut 5 characters game in the general thread is a massive head ache because so many people claim Wii-fit won't get in because she's not relevant anymore. LOL you kidding me? This just makes me want to play 4 Glory and get early percent header spikes on everyone.

I don't believe relevance is a factor in how Sakurai decides his roster. I think it's more of a question as to what does this character add to the game? Wii fit's moveset is incredibly well thought out. She has moves that hit in opposite directions simultaneously and the only catch is that their hit boxes are small. Plus she can increase her hit box range with her soccer ball. There is no other character that can do that.

I think she'll stay in smash for the same reasons as other posts in this thread. She's just so out there like Game and Watch and ROB, not to mention she's her own unique character and not a clone. Same goes for Duck Hunt. He'll return for the same reasons.
Relevance does have importance, it's just that people confuse recency with importance. Historical relevancy is a thing that people forget exists.

There’s countless examples of characters, stories, games, etc. that have not received an update in decades, centuries, or millennia yet are still relevant because they continue to have an impact on the people who know them, possibly even cultural impact. But based off how misued the word is, you'd think relevancy=being flavour of the month.

At any rate, :4wiifit: is in the exact same situation that :4rob: was in Brawl except she had even better reception that he did at the time. Unless the roster gets gutted, she's coming back.

Last edited:

Murlough

Euphoria
NNID
Murl0ugh
3DS FC
4828-8253-7746
I hope Wii Fit returns. I can kinda see where those who think tehy won't return are coming from, though. They have a really neat idea for a moveset but holy crap does it translate poorly. Giver her a combo throw, update her uptilt and backair, and giver her specials some quality of life buffs.

Having a significantly weaker charge shot is not justified because she can heal 4% off of firing it fully charged. Her soccer ball...is garbage. Watching Wii Fits do soccer ball stuff is fun because the move is terrible. Its like watching Pac Man mains actually make the character do stuff. I say keep soccer ball but....do something with it. I don't even know what but it needs to be better all around.

But yeah, I really hope they keep Wii Fit. She represents the Wii era of Nintendo and she deserves a place just like R.O.B. and Duck Hunt do.

I know a lot of people are pretty pessimistic about her coming back, so it's super refreshing to see so much optimism in this thread! Like others have said, I do think she has a good chance of coming back since 1) she was one of the main promotional characters in Smash 4's release, and 2) she represents the Wii brand of games. ROB made it back, so I think things are looking up for her!

I just hope that they take this opportunity to help out her hitboxes. I know that since she's a regular human she doesn't get wacky stuff like expanding appendages, but it'd be nice if her hitboxes weren't so faithful to her model.

Top Bottom